Little FM things that annoy you...

Let it go guys, he's just frustrated at the game and looking for an outlet.

@goku4 In your now locked thread you received a lot of good advice.  Revisit it, have a think about it.  Despite what you think, nobody has ever said there are no flaws but - as has been pointed out - there are things you may be able to do which might help your frustrations.

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless I’m missing something.....on player comparison page when comparing players in a new season I want to be able to see the previous seasons stats and not blank stats because of the new season.

Something that has bothered me a little bit recently (FM19) is that fact that my forwards seem perfectly capable beating opposition defenders anywhere else outside the 18 yard box, but for any crosses into the box, the defenders consistently win challenged headers - often by smaller fullbacks with lower heading stats.

Conversely, my 5'4" 9st Mezalla (Jumping Reach 2) just "dominated" an opposition 6'8" 14st (jumping reach 14) for a header in the middle of the pitch. Regardless of stats, this should never happen... should it?

Also, Throw Ins. Full stop.

Edited by AlexJames

M

1 hour ago, AlexJames said:

Something that has bothered me a little bit recently (FM19) is that fact that my forwards seem perfectly capable beating opposition defenders anywhere else outside the 18 yard box, but for any crosses into the box, the defenders consistently win challenged headers - often by smaller fullbacks with lower heading stats.

Conversely, my 5'4" 9st Mezalla (Jumping Reach 2) just "dominated" an opposition 6'8" 14st (jumping reach 14) for a header in the middle of the pitch. Regardless of stats, this should never happen... should it?

Also, Throw Ins. Full stop.

My top scorer in the league in my championship winning season. I played him as an IF/a, most of his goals were from headers. My tall striker couldn't score for toffee. Was  a strange season, to say the least.

Juan Moreira_ Career Stats.png

Juan Moreira_ Attributes.png

Edited by dolph11

I guess my mistake was having my player in the defensive unit instead of the offensive unit - but this guy is supposed to be my do everything WB and he just picked up 'Stays back at all times'. I've kept him out of mentoring so he doesnt get something I dont want him to and then this happens. Really it's just stupid.

image.thumb.png.247ef6190ca6c319fa785c11a870110b.png

31 minutes ago, CaptCanuck said:

he just picked up 'Stays back at all times'.

Well count yourself lucky. He could be "stays back at all times" and misses a champions league match because of a night out and decided that also would be a good time to "Stay back" :seagull:

11 hours ago, TQ13PS said:

One on Ones annoy me, no matter how good my striker is I can guarantee they will miss a one on one more often than not, and yet the opposition will score more one on ones.

I think that ones annoying most of us :lol:

Particularly when they look like they arent even trying to score

Set Piece change. Played FM2015 for ages and although it had faults, at least when i brought a player on with 10 mins to go i could do a quick check of what he was doing for set pieces, and make quick adjustment so he isn't marking a tall player like the chap he was replacing, maybe because he was 5ft 6.

Now i skipped to FM20 and if i want to do the same sub, i have to go into set pieces and check something like 12 different set piece instructions to ensure i am not going to get caught out. I'm too lazy for that, and even if i wasn't it still seems a bit extreme compared to FM15. Actually rarely make subs now unless the player coming on is almost physically identical to the guy he is replacing. God forbid i want to make a second sub 5 mins later and have to check it all over again!

It cant be the best way to do things!

Move into channels sticks strikers too wide and barely in the middle where they should be, Should be an option to remove it for all striker roles (sent that 3 years ago in the new features thread).

Sideways passing even if there is a good pass there to make or in front of them. Can't stand it when im watching highlights and it just swings side to side, had to move into commentary levels to never see it again :D

Not a lot annoys me about the game but if my main striker has a poor few games I criticise his recent form, and his response is something along the lines of "Have you been watching a different game, I think you need glasses!" I mean I find it hilarious and infuriating at the same time :lol: The striker in question is Lukaku at the minute.

On 26/08/2020 at 20:03, dolph11 said:

M

My top scorer in the league in my championship winning season. I played him as an IF/a, most of his goals were from headers. My tall striker couldn't score for toffee. Was  a strange season, to say the least.

Juan Moreira_ Career Stats.png

Juan Moreira_ Attributes.png

Seems reasonable. Ok he's terrible at jumping for headers in the first place, but if he's getting uncontested headers in the box then it stands to reason he'd bury a decent proportion of them. He's good off the ball too so seemingly  good at finding pockets of space.

There are plenty of examples IRL of tall forwards who although you'd assume they're great in the air, are actually pretty terrible when it comes to the technique of heading a ball...

Edited by IbrahimAliMaher

The training where there is always some players unhappy with certain areas of training. Like low level of team training, I have to put them on double intensity to please them and knacker them out for the next game

Edited by DaveyJ

Approximately once per month, my GM tells me to transfer list my backup goalkeeper because he isn't playing enough. Uh, that's pretty much his job description -- sit on the bench with his keeper gloves handy. And approximately every month he tells me to recall a loaned foreign player, despite not having international spots available to register him. Is this the purpose of the GM position -- to add a few extra challenges to navigate?

1 hour ago, fivetwelvepony said:

Approximately once per month, my GM tells me to transfer list my backup goalkeeper because he isn't playing enough. Uh, that's pretty much his job description -- sit on the bench with his keeper gloves handy. And approximately every month he tells me to recall a loaned foreign player, despite not having international spots available to register him. Is this the purpose of the GM position -- to add a few extra challenges to navigate?

Ha! The problem is whether you have a DoF, Sporting Director, Head Scout, Assman... that update is coming from someone regardless AFAIK, so no way around it? I get the 'transfer list so and so'  too and it is almost never a good suggestion. Like you it is typically a contributor to the squad but because they don't start, best to sell them... erm, ya no

22 hours ago, CaptCanuck said:

Ha! The problem is whether you have a DoF, Sporting Director, Head Scout, Assman... that update is coming from someone regardless AFAIK, so no way around it? I get the 'transfer list so and so'  too and it is almost never a good suggestion. Like you it is typically a contributor to the squad but because they don't start, best to sell them... erm, ya no

I find the opposite is true too. I have a no hope 22 year old youth prospect who I transfer listed, and the advice coming from either my DoF or Ass man is 'take off transfer list as he could be a good option for one of our affiliates'. Er, what? So the purpose of keeping this player around is so that he can go and play for another side while we pay his wages?!

Tell you what Mr DoF, how about you shut up and let me deal with this buying/selling players thing while you go do whatever it is we're paying you £10k p/w to do...

When you transfer list a player who should be a top player for you but has been very poor for a while and averaging 6.45, your DOF the tells you he should come off the transfer list and has no reason to be on it, erm he's crap and needs moved on, I'll decide if he stays or not.

After being promoted last season, the media keeps asking you about whether or not you can stay up, but the only answer options you are given are weak maybes. Can the game not give us one option that implies confidence? This becomes especially grating after you've started really well and are clearly not a relegation candidate.

The one thing that's really annoying me at the moment is delegating player contract negotiations to my DoF.

Now obviously I don't want him to get involved with contract offers to potential new signings, because 90% of the time they'll be rejected.

But I do want him to do all the contract renewals, because he usually manages it, and if he fails I can generally take it on without it costing me too much of a problem.

Why on earth can't I delegate these two separate tasks separately? It's crazy, SI, crazy!

Injury clusters. Injuries are part of the game, so take them as they come, but when bad ones come they never seem to be alone.

This season - while I am first in the league after 8 matches - I've lost my platooning WB Davies (6 months broken leg-played 5/11 matches) and star player Vignato (3-4 months muscle tear-only played the 8 league matches) to in-game tackles and starting CD Torres (3-4 weeks-played 7/11 matches) all within 10 days.

I have a big enough squad to not overwork guys and this early in the season I actually have more trouble getting everyone involved before cup comps start, but to have have these 3 in quick succession really grates. Then on top of it, I had a loanee get injured for 2-3 months... some bad voodoo going on at Brighton I guess.

On 31/08/2020 at 18:05, ExeChris said:

2-1 down with a minute of injury time left and you are on 'attacking' or higher.  CD has the ball on the half way line and decides that passing back to the goalie is the best thing to do.

Every. Single. Time!

20 hours ago, IrrelevantLion said:

Honestly might as well rename this game "morale manager" because inexplicably players lose their ability to play football or do anything productive on the pitch, and it just snowballs. It's so predictable and boring.

I kind of half agree with you, its very difficult to win a game if your morale is low in FM20, but this sort of does reflect real life. Teams high on confidence often perform better

4 hours ago, Nombre de usuario genérico said:

I scout most players weekly and I have a large scouting staff, so I get a lot of scouting reports in my inbox.  It's monotonous having to stop and cycle through reports every single day.

I have all my scouting reports set to appear in the scouting centre and delegate the responsibility for handling scouting meetings to the DoF. This way I receive a report from the DoF which only highlights his top recommendation.

4 hours ago, Hovis Dexter said:

I have all my scouting reports set to appear in the scouting centre and delegate the responsibility for handling scouting meetings to the DoF. This way I receive a report from the DoF which only highlights his top recommendation.

Thanks for the tip.  I feel like I'm not in control of the game if I don't micromanage every aspect of it, but I need to try something differently in this regard because it's sucking the joy out of the game for me.

41 minutes ago, fivetwelvepony said:

Here are the season ratings of all the players to make a league appearance for me. One of them won league player of the year at his position. Want to guess which one, and what his position is?

image.thumb.png.626256854193a11116824ff5bfc9ff01.png

6.93 - your starting GK?

A separate thing that just happened to me, I signed Barkley, Origi and Giroud in the same summer transfer window, all three requested a promise that I would improve my defence - as I had plans to do this anyway I was happy to grant it and help me get the contracts over the line. I signed a couple of CBs (including Holding as outlined in my post above) and I am generally pretty happy with my defence in terms of strength and depth, and Barkley is very happy the promise was fulfilled but Origi and Giroud are both unhappy that it wasn't...

33 minutes ago, Marabak said:

A separate thing that just happened to me, I signed Barkley, Origi and Giroud in the same summer transfer window, all three requested a promise that I would improve my defence - as I had plans to do this anyway I was happy to grant it and help me get the contracts over the line. I signed a couple of CBs (including Holding as outlined in my post above) and I am generally pretty happy with my defence in terms of strength and depth, and Barkley is very happy the promise was fulfilled but Origi and Giroud are both unhappy that it wasn't...

I have had similar problems. I now try not to make any promise that isn't completely clear cut. "Play in preferred position" is about the only one I'll make unless I'm desperate. Promises like "improve coaching" are vague and even when I go out and hire new coaches they still aren't satisfied. I don't know why this has to be so vague.

On 04/09/2020 at 22:02, fivetwelvepony said:

Here are the season ratings of all the players to make a league appearance for me. One of them won league player of the year at his position. Want to guess which one, and what his position is?

image.thumb.png.626256854193a11116824ff5bfc9ff01.png

Well, considering how goalkeepers almost never get a rating above 7 in this game he is a superstar! My goalkeepers usually end up around 6.66 for a season. Everything above 6.7 is a superb performance it seems.

This is more amusing than annoying but it does involve press conferences which I'm sure are a source of a lot of these. I only tend to do them when arriving at a new team, but having moved into international management I decided to do one after the World Cup draw. The very first question was about how well we'd be able to cope with the very different climate, bearing in mind I'm managing France and the tournament is in Germany :D. Yep, I'm not sure how we could possibly cope with temperatures and humidity levels that will pretty much be the same as back home, in a country that's right next door!

I’m probably the only person who cares. But why can’t I select squad numbers for international teams when I’m manager!! Players have specific numbers for international teams and I just want that realism lol 

edit.. obviously I mean outside of tournaments

Edited by conor4669

For me at the moment its player happiness... 

I have gotten my small Shrewsbury squad into the Championship and having survived the 1st season punching above our weight we are now into our 2nd season. I have one striker who wasnt really firing on all cylinders before but the tail end of last season and the start of this he has bagged 6 in 8 appearances. Now he has been unhappy at the squad for some time and was wanting 1st team games. Annoyingly though I promised it to him and he has started lots of games and proving to be a regular. Thing is his status is still set as unhappy despite me playing him so often. Seems to be taking ages to register that my promise has in fact been kept.

To add to this I cannot offer him a new contract, it expires in June of the following year and its now Sept... I am sure with other players this promise resets as such quicker.. not with this guy frustratingly.. 

2 hours ago, JR866Gunner said:

For me at the moment its player happiness... 

I have gotten my small Shrewsbury squad into the Championship and having survived the 1st season punching above our weight we are now into our 2nd season. I have one striker who wasnt really firing on all cylinders before but the tail end of last season and the start of this he has bagged 6 in 8 appearances. Now he has been unhappy at the squad for some time and was wanting 1st team games. Annoyingly though I promised it to him and he has started lots of games and proving to be a regular. Thing is his status is still set as unhappy despite me playing him so often. Seems to be taking ages to register that my promise has in fact been kept.

To add to this I cannot offer him a new contract, it expires in June of the following year and its now Sept... I am sure with other players this promise resets as such quicker.. not with this guy frustratingly.. 

There is a screen where you can see promises and if they are green (fulfilled) or not. That screen also shows the time period. So even if he is happy with his playing time he needs to remain happy until that time is up. But I can't remember from the top of my head where that screen can be found. Maybe the manager profile?

my biggest annoyances are:

players wanting new contracts (and get unhappy if they dont' get it). in reality it's the clubs that need to cater to the best players.

long term injuries reducing players attributes

constantly pressing "continue"/space bar. waiting times between (this should seriously be improved)

getting into the tactic flatline where nothing happens (no goals of chances to any team) no matter how you adjust 

answering the "wrong"  option in a conversation and the player throws a tantrum.

Edited by V3ntricity

2 hours ago, Karnack said:

There is a screen where you can see promises and if they are green (fulfilled) or not. That screen also shows the time period. So even if he is happy with his playing time he needs to remain happy until that time is up. But I can't remember from the top of my head where that screen can be found. Maybe the manager profile?

Ah ok, I have seen a similar screen now that you mention it. I will take a look tonight when I get the chance to play :) Thanks!

3 hours ago, JR866Gunner said:

Ah ok, I have seen a similar screen now that you mention it. I will take a look tonight when I get the chance to play :) Thanks!

It's under Home ==> Promises

My current annoyance is the lottery when you tell a player you're pleased with his training performances. Either he's pleased, and his morale goes right up, or he's annoyed and it's the most devastating thing ever!