Little FM things that annoy you...

Media was mentioned before, but I just have to mention this. FM15, journeyman save, I'm about 55 seasons in, I've won the World Cup, UCL, basically every big tournament, but EVERY TIME the media has to mention how I lost to Legia in 2017. While managing a newly-promoted club in Lithuania (won the cup). So humiliating...

(due to reputation changes, that Lithuanian club is now seen as better than Legia, I think that is why it's "humiliating")

Also, a new board after a takeover wanting to sack the most successful manager in the club's history

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Trailing 2-1 in stoppage time, striker tackles the GK on the edge of the box, doesn't shoot with nobody around him but instead dribbles out to the side of the goal to put it into the side netting. Of course from the goal kick one of theirs hits a screamer from 30 yards

The player history page - after years of seemingly poor care and attention to data entry and the decision to only include league appearances the whole screen is a dogs dinner and really frustrates me - it's an area I would desperately like SI to remedy through better data visualisation (move away from just a page with rows of data on)

Your corner taker finds the ball cleared directly to him but instead of taking advantage of this opportunity to send in another delivery while both big centre backs are up, he allows the ball out for a throw and the set-piece is wasted. I'm sure there is a magical combination of instructions which prevent this but this is a prime example of possibly the biggest source of fm frustration, the inability to convey such an easy verbal instruction, which would have been irl dealt with in a brief chat on the training pitch, with the fm user interface.

29 minutes ago, Danchinaski said:

Your corner taker finds the ball cleared directly to him but instead of taking advantage of this opportunity to send in another delivery while both big centre backs are up, he allows the ball out for a throw and the set-piece is wasted. I'm sure there is a magical combination of instructions which prevent this but this is a prime example of possibly the biggest source of fm frustration, the inability to convey such an easy verbal instruction, which would have been irl dealt with in a brief chat on the training pitch, with the fm user interface.

Or instead of taking a quick throw-in in your own half while the opposition is still in theirs, let's wait until they are all lined up to mark our players before throwing

Having sales blocked because they board think he's worth £500k more, yet no one else is willing to pay it. Ok then we'll keep Steven Fletcher on 35k a week when we're skint just so he can sit in the reserves and leave on a free

This really isn't FM's fault, but eff me the summer of 2024 is annoying: Euros, Copa America, u21 Euros Qualifying, and Olympics have meant 5 important players haven't played a single preseason match and won't be available until the season has started and 6 other key players missed the first 3 weeks of preseason.

I'm going to start bad mouthing them when the press asks whether they deserve call ups :-)

Edited by CaptCanuck

On 01/08/2020 at 14:22, kevgaleuk said:

The player history page - after years of seemingly poor care and attention to data entry and the decision to only include league appearances the whole screen is a dogs dinner and really frustrates me - it's an area I would desperately like SI to remedy through better data visualisation (move away from just a page with rows of data on)

THIS!!! Drains me only showing league stats.

Talking about UI, I also dislike how certain elements in the game that are displayed like tables (such as the Player Ratings during a match) can't be modified without manually editing the skin itself.

Say I'd like to see, not just the goals and assists, but also the key passes, clear cut chances and mistakes made by a player during the game, but the skin I'm currently using does not show them. There is no "Insert Column" functionality as it would be on, for example, the squad screen. I have to go to the skin files and edit the corresponding XML to add the columns I want to see.

14 hours ago, CaptCanuck said:

This really isn't FM's fault, but eff me the summer of 2024 is annoying: Euros, Copa America, u21 Euros Qualifying, and Olympics have meant 5 important players haven't played a single preseason match and won't be available until the season has started and 6 other key players missed the first 3 weeks of preseason.

I'm going to start bad mouthing them when the press asks whether they deserve call ups :-)

Never understood why this is a thing. Surely you have the total number and then the breakdown by competition when you click on it- not the other way round!

When you are in a wretched run of form and tweak the tactics and come away with a 3-1 win next game.  BUT the goals are a 25 yd screamer from a CM and two headers from corners from your CDs and you don't know if the tactics helped or you just got lucky.

1 hour ago, KingCanary said:

Never understood why this is a thing. Surely you have the total number and then the breakdown by competition when you click on it- not the other way round!

Ya I could see the guys off playing Internationals on the calendar and knew the Euros/Copa was coming - but the Olympics snuck up on me being so late, as they announced the squads right before it started - it's the problem having a lot of young players. At least it's only over in France.

How about 'Ask _______ to endorse move'?

I try it for poops and giggles when it is suggested and I have never had a potential signee say anything other than - '________ says they will judge the contract offer on its own merits'.

I don't know if anyone has this if there using key highlights like me but I have one where it starts off like there's going to be a highlight of some sort, so there's a throw in, free kick, corner, etc, and after you've made a shout or something like that just cuts off completely.

I recently thought up of another thing I've noticed a lot more often recently where you concede a goal after a defensive mistake and the wrong player takes the rating hit. I still drop them anyway as I don't let them get away with it ;)

This.

image.png.4d2673074fc124797a6a226430871efa.png

And I have the instruction stay on feet.

Always guaranteed that i'll get a yellow for a DC in the first 5 mins for the first foul too- and the refs allow the opponent to kick my players to pieces all game.

Its not even a new thing been happening in the game for years.

5 hours ago, Drogba11CFC said:

"We need to mark their full back!"

*Two seconds later*

"Our winger is being drawn out of position due to marking their full back!"

Same with direct/short passing.

The passing one is the 'best'! That should absolutely be coded out of the assman assistance logic.

One I've gotten a bit the last two offseasons, when you sign a player and then the complaint is signing X is no better than signing Y - and X is a 19yr old wonderkid and Y is a 29yr old Alex Iwobi :-S

Great thread, thoroughly enjoyed. Maybe I'm the only weirdo who watches Full Matches and has noticed this...

Very good keepers kick the ball out of bounds *a lot*. Name your favourite world class guy, I don't care who it is - if he gets it passed to him 3 times in a row, you best believe he's kicking it at angles into Row Z (even if there's 8 teammates easily available). Just boot it up the field....?

Something I've just noticed in my savegame now that I've switched teams: Youth Intakes are way too biased in favor of human-controlled teams.

AI teams will never get more than three players in an intake (as far as I've noticed, at least). And if the league isn't playable at the moment, they'd be lucky to get at least one.

Human teams easily get 10-15 players per intake, regardless of the team's reputation, youth coaching and youth requirement.

image.thumb.png.e0447929a4238409b3824a92cdbe22a4.pngimage.thumb.png.692420c63dca872272be213e94ace941.png

image.thumb.png.8417edc2d079f49e02c5c16368f52d79.pngimage.thumb.png.d9f261cb777f59c159027482148da5d5.png

It's not fair.

One that has popped up this year ... the amount of corners given (to either side) due to blasting the ball over the back line, even when no one is close, and it could easily been been clear up the field or to a throw in. And the classic from previous years, long pass back to keeper that goes way wide for at corner.

Also from this year: THrow ins and corners where it is sent to a player, then sent back to the taker, who is still in offside position. Happens probably 4-6 times per match.

The Training UI, when a players wants more of a specific type of training, but once you give it, he wants something else. Seems to be he wanted more than one thing, but the UI only presents one to you.

29 minutes ago, StormenDK said:

THrow ins and corners where it is sent to a player, then sent back to the taker, who is still in offside position.

Happens in FM19 as well - although not as frequently as you say in FM20

45 minutes ago, StormenDK said:

One that has popped up this year ... the amount of corners given (to either side) due to blasting the ball over the back line, even when no one is close, and it could easily been been clear up the field or to a throw in.

This is a good one - by good I of course mean bad :-)

The occasions that pointless punt for a corner turns into a goal is really annoying. The worst are when there is no one close and a clear path to a winger 30yds up the pitch to start a counter and they still put it out - and the WB putting it out has composure, vision, and passing skills to easily manage that simple task.

Edited by CaptCanuck

There is also the dreaded "Keeping three players back on corners. Ball cleared up the field. Opponent single striker walks over to claim the ball. Three defensive players picking their noses."

Or an FM20 classic. "Cross from one winger to the other. Receiving winger stands around the edge of the box. Tries to score with a header."

Or the "Throw-in deep on own half. Two of my own players are clear. Throws it long. Always right at an opponent."

Or "Defender gets to ball after a cleared attacking set piece. Stands around with it for ages. Opponent walks up and tackles him. Route one to goal."

2 hours ago, oblongata21 said:

Passing it back the keeper from almost halfway when youre very attacking, when youre down by one goal, in the last few minutes of a game. Just happened to me, two games in a row.

That absolutely infuriates me, I've seen this happen with full overload set-up with intention to keep hoofing the ball into the box, still the player will turn around and punt a 45 yard pass back to the keeper.

Assman suggests that Jordi Cortes move ball to left foot before dribbling as right foot is a notable weakness. After many, many hours on the training pitch, Jordi Cortes is unable to do so. Two weeks later, same assman is suggests that Jordi Cortes move ball to left foot before dribbling. And he continues to suggest it, year after year.

Half way through the season, doing ok if not spectacularly, just below half way.  Then suddenly none of the strikers can shoot, keeper decides to dive over shots straight at him, defenders clear balls straight (and I mean they move there before the kick / header is made) to opponents and midfielders decide passing to their own team is pointless. 

Keeper knocks every kick straight to the opponents right midfielder (instructions say aim for target man) and we start taking throw ins direct to their player without any of ours being within 5 yards of him?

I don't know how a team (top league in Chile) can suddenly not be able to play football at all? 

On 15/07/2020 at 15:56, jc1 said:

Just happened last week at Hibernian, we signed Scott Nisbet and Hearts tried to jump in last minute with a better wage offer which he rejected as he wanted to come play for us. Unfortunately in game it doesn't give you the full details of each player.

Ai dont offer better wages to a player you are after, as your wages and fees are always higher 

Having just tied up a long negotiation for a top player, who demanded a 5 year contract, bust the bank to give him something close to what he wants, he accepts and 5 months into the new deal he approaches for a new contract "because he is a better player than he was when he signed"

And of course the option to tell him exactly what you think is not available

11 hours ago, FrazT said:

Having just tied up a long negotiation for a top player, who demanded a 5 year contract, bust the bank to give him something close to what he wants, he accepts and 5 months into the new deal he approaches for a new contract "because he is a better player than he was when he signed"

And of course the option to tell him exactly what you think is not available

Agents are the worst.

Team A bids for Player B. Player B has 'no interest whatsoever in joining Team A'. So of course reject the bid, press Continue.

Immediately agent for Player B: 'We need a new contract because rejecting that contract shows you how valuable Player B is' :-S

It's a little buggy the agent behaviour IMHO, but it does let us experience the annoyance of dealing with them I guess.

7 hours ago, CaptCanuck said:

Agents are the worst.

Team A bids for Player B. Player B has 'no interest whatsoever in joining Team A'. So of course reject the bid, press Continue.

Immediately agent for Player B: 'We need a new contract because rejecting that contract shows you how valuable Player B is' :-S

It's a little buggy the agent behaviour IMHO, but it does let us experience the annoyance of dealing with them I guess.

Absolutely this.

What frustrates me is goinf through this, asking the player to sack his agent, which he agrees to only to hire a new one barely minutes later.

Then when Team A returna with an unimproved deal (which they will do), you reject the offer only to have rhe new agent come to you with the same contract demand except, now, you can't have the agent sacked. It's either cave or incite a mutiny.

Teams playing with pitch dimensions at 95x90, it doesn't happen anywhere in actual football and the ME has no idea how to process the game on in

Speaking of the ME - having the game play out in a way where it's obvious the ME has to actively nerf players and make them do stupid things to prevent basketball scorelines, rather than teams being able to defend and the match experience resembling football.

Set Pieces are a shambles, you can guarantee that teams sort out who's marking who before a game rather than just handing out "go back" instructions, and players on the edge of the box who simply will not react until an opposition player touches the ball first.

Playing as a lower league team who can only offer two year deals, Assman immediately suggests we list everyone because they might run down their contract and it has less than two years left.

The thing that bugs me the most right now is the suggestions from my Tech Director about "coaching improvements" to a particular squad where the suggestion seems to be worse than every staff member in that squad.  I really wish there was a mechanism for the Tech Director (or whoever) would say "look, I think we can do better than XXX coach  and here is why and here is who I think should replace him" but instead you are left not even knowing who he thinks is the weak link in your staff.