Jump to content
Sports Interactive Community
KingCanary

Little FM things that annoy you...

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
On 09/07/2020 at 08:30, Spanner said:

i completely agree with you pw75.

I have the same siutation \ experience on one of my saves and it really really bugs me that the games been developed in so many ways but i kinda feel like the manager contracts was forgotten about.

Another funny but super annoying aspect is when you leave a club and have been super successful, won throphies, your stats and reputation in the game is great but then your new club want to offer you peanuts?!?....like all you have done before counts for nothing.
Its like being an apprentice on bad wages, then you progess, salary goes up, your doing well....change company and then your offered apprentice wages again :(

Is there a way we can make a recommendation \ suggestion to Sports Interactive to update the game with an improvement in this area?

Yeah trying to immerse yourself in the game when you are by and far the most successful manager around yet your current team offers you a contract no-where near acceptable with no negotiation flexibility (then when you leave they appoint someone with a far worse record on more than you were on) or a new club approach you and again offer you a wage that isn't to the standard you are at but give no negotiation flexibility and then again appoint someone with a far worse record but on more money than they ever offered you.

I appreciate it isn't a gamebreaker for most but the immersion over a long career is lost and previous FM versions never had this problem.  Just frustrating and quite a basic area you would expect a fix could easily be applied (especially as in my most recent save Mark Warburton became the England manager after Championship mediocrity so its not like manager appointments are exactly perfect)!

Edited by pw75

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/07/2020 at 20:03, Overmars said:

How someone who scores in the first half suddenly becomes a much better player. If he scores twice then he becomes seemingly invincible. If someone misses a couple of chances or has a mistake leading to a goal then they become virtually useless.

I noticed this. Playing as spurs and had Blackburn in the league cup. Harry Kane missed his only penalty of the season in the first ten minutes of this one and ended the match with a 5.8 rating!! We won 4-1 and that season Kane scored about 40 goals in total. Could just be a bad day. But often you see a defender make a mistake early on and you know they’ll never turn it around in that game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, pw75 said:

Yeah trying to immerse yourself in the game when you are by and far the most successful manager around yet your current team offers you a contract no-where near acceptable with no negotiation flexibility (then when you leave they appoint someone with a far worse record on more than you were on) or a new club approach you and again offer you a wage that isn't to the standard you are at but give no negotiation flexibility and then again appoint someone with a far worse record but on more money than they ever offered you.

I appreciate it isn't a gamebreaker for most but the immersion over a long career is lost and previous FM versions never had this problem.  Just frustrating and quite a basic area you would expect a fix could easily be applied (especially as in my most recent save Mark Warburton became the England manager after Championship mediocrity so its not like manager appointments are exactly perfect)!

I just checked my salary and it is lower than my head physio, chief scout, and assistant manager. We have a balance of 44 million, are through to the knockout stages of the Champions League, have already made 21 million of profit this season, and the board is willing to give me a raise to 121 thousand after 5 successful seasons with the club. That would be the second-lowest manager salary in our league and less than 20% of the top manager salary. It's so insulting that I'm actually going to change clubs now out of virtual spite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Manager salary has been rubbish for several years, I'm pretty sure they are aware of this but for some reason it is repeatedly overlooked.

I bought the lGE for FM17 in order to correct the horrifying, genuinely game-breaking stadium expansion bug and used it to correct my salary also - l know for many any use of the lGE is cheating, but it is definitely worth it to address these types of weird glitches in FM (though l do begrudge having to pay to use a tool to fix errors that shouldn't occur).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing that annoys me is, i KNOW when a goal will be disallowed.

It just doesnt "look right", the shot goes in from a situation the goalkeeper always saves, but the ball goes in unexpectedly, and you know itll be ruled out.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is one from older versions that's probably fixed now but it's when you try and convince a player to stay with a promise of you you're going to do in the next season or two (which I rarely do and only if it seems 'safe') and if you overachieve (like qualifying for the Champions League instead of the Europa League) that's still treated as a broken promise. I guess in the most literal sense that's true but I doubt a player would be too unhappy about that. The last time it happened was especially stupid as the player expected Champions League qualification and we won the title, which still means we're in the Champions League. I ended up losing him at the end of his contract because of him being unhappy about it. No sure many players would go "OK boss, I know we've just won the title and it puts us precisely where I wanted us to be but as that was more than you promised I'm unhappy!"

Another older one that was fixed was a staff member applying for a role and then refusing to accept a contract for that role. Later on they still sometimes opened up wanting a different role than the one they were technically responding to the advert for but they'd at least accept when you changed the contract to the right role.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/07/2020 at 18:23, Norfair said:

Way too many news items that cannot be removed from the game no matter what. Clickfest.

Several options available to welcome a new signing to the club (what's the difference between the 4 options you get??), several options to tell a player you're going to rest them due to fatigue but not one option for "hey, I want to try this other guy in your spot for a while, see how it goes you know". That's basic management stuff.

Players that are "Star players" want to play every game, Carabao cup, FA cup, easy CL group games, or they soon become concerned with their playtime.

Out of context interaction crap, i.e a player asking for a transfer for a long time, then when I let him go I tell him "you've earned this chance" and he goes "what are you on about, I would much rather have stayed" etc. There are so many nonsensical things where players moods and comments are plain bugged that you just wonder if SI are ever going to fix it.

Replacing a captain after several years, and some of his closest friends in the squad are appalled that the player wasn't given a chance as captain for longer. Gimme a break.

Similarly when you take over and you want to replace the captain with your own choice of player and all the squad goes nuts, erm I'm a new manager and it's my choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/07/2020 at 17:20, Marko1989 said:

Not able to make all substitutions in a friendly match with one click. For example, If you play 5 friendly games  in a pre-season and like me, in 60th minute you want to replace all the players you must go one by one. It would be cool if we could click "replace all players" and then game tries to figure out by position what players it should swap. Of course I don't expect that functionality to be 100% correct but it does annoys me that every friendly match I have to make 11 substitutions one by one. I know it is a small thing.. maybe this option exists already but I am not aware of

Sub all players at half time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I play with a skin, its the best skin, but the shout button is just under another button, and if the wrong window opens again, I swear to god

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That AI managers seem to have a tendency to not squad build properly - I.e. selling most of the defenders, signing too many attacking players, or just outright signing old folks because they're cheap I guess

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

- The fact a nation's Youth Rating does not change over the course of a save. Yes, I know, it takes a monumental amount of effort for a nation to produce better players, but it doesn't change the fact the Youth Rating (and thus, the average quality of youth intakes even on the best possible conditions) stays the same. Small changes after a bunch of years would be a nice addition, making you feel you are actually contributing at the improvement of national football.

- Do you not like a team's name? Did you forget to edit names for, say, teams in Spain? TOO BAD, because you cannot change their names after creating the game, not even with the In-Game Editor. For added offense, you CAN change the name of competitions this way.

- When you qualify for the Champions League Group Stage for the first time and the game gives you a gift consisting of a group containing the likes of Real Madrid, Liverpool, PSG, Chelsea, Barcelona, Roma...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if this is still there for FM20 as I've done the sensible thing and ditched it but the media stories remembering an obscure cup defeat on older versions really jarred, for eg on fm17 l went from North Ferriby to York (2 consecutive promotions) to Hibernian (a promotion, a cup win, a European jaunt) to Celtic (3x clean sweeps, champs league semi finalists) to Liverpool and was still remembered foremostly for a "humiliating" FA Cup defeat to Guiseley early in my career.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Goalkeeper ratings which make no sense, eg 40 shots on goal, 21 on target, your keeper lets one through and gets a rating on 6.6

2. Repetitive press conferences, not a huge deal, but so boring i end up just letting my assistant take them.

3. Bland stadiums, not a huge deal but would be nice if we had a stadium editor or something.

4. Strikers kicking it straight to  or into goalkeeper in a one on one.

5. Number of new gens with  ridiculously good stats, making the world full wonder kids. Fluid potential ability would help too

Overall i like the game but there's a few things that would make the game more immersive and make it worthwhile playing a long terms save.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/07/2020 at 11:07, KingCanary said:

1- When a player asks you to make the first offer on a contract. A small part of me dies when I realise this means I'm going to have to either have to blindly guess all his apparent bonuses or I'm going to ask my DoF to do it who invariably gets negotiations off to a bad start.

2- Players asking for absurd steps up in wages based on minimal game time. I'm signing you on £30k p/w but you want to go up to £80k after 25 league games? Not a chance.

3- News items about doubles/trebles that include the Community Shield or European Super Cup. Not real trophies, do not count in my opinion.

yes this is absolute garbage half the time you offer the low end of the scout suggested wages and you’re on amber “the gap is too big next offer is your last chance”. 


2

the worst thing is these aren’t even starts players getting double their initial wage for being subbed on for 2 3rds of their matches is an absolute joke.

 

3

dunno bro I’m the Jose/Pep type 😂😂

every trophy counts 😅 I take pride in my septuple seasons 😩😂😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/07/2020 at 10:31, FMunderachiever said:

One thing that annoys me is, i KNOW when a goal will be disallowed.

It just doesnt "look right", the shot goes in from a situation the goalkeeper always saves, but the ball goes in unexpectedly, and you know itll be ruled out.

 

I dont have the 3D matches on but when i read....Great cross, Haaland.....its a goal
..but it happened so easily that you know it is going to be dis-allowed. Then it always is dis-allowed. 

I am not experienced with the 3D matches but i know more or less what will happen the way the text develops.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How the managerial job application process takes so long during the offseason. It's been over three weeks since I applied to a few jobs, and they still haven't decided on interviews.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A big annoying thing that i have experienced on FM16 and FM20 is when you see a player has a favoured person which is YOU and that feels great. 

...But you get nothing from it. It translates to nothing on the game.
Its just a nice feeling and looks good but it gives no real advantage from my experience. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got another one to add...

Players in my U23's who've not made their first team debut whining about being left out of my European squad due 'to all the football they'll be missing'.'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Every deflection somehow falls to the opposition, who immediately charge into my half at breakneck speed. Hopefully defending more deeply will countenance it.

The fact that you can't say "I appreciate your concern but so-and-so is in superb form at the moment" if a player complains about not being in the first team.

The fact that fm17 put FA Cup matches in midweek.

Edited by Drogba11CFC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Drogba11CFC said:

The fact that you can't say "I appreciate your concern but so-and-so is in superb form at the moment" if a player complains about not being in the first team.

Not sure what version you are on, but that exact thing has been in there for at least 3 versions

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Transfer values of players. It would be great if a players face value actually reflected the real value of what the club wants for him as fee, rather than it being a complete lottery of guess the price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 11/07/2020 at 02:17, Danchinaski said:

I bought the lGE for FM17 in order to correct the horrifying, genuinely game-breaking stadium expansion bug and used it to correct my salary also - l know for many any use of the lGE is cheating, but it is definitely worth it to address these types of weird glitches in FM (though l do begrudge having to pay to use a tool to fix errors that shouldn't occur).

I still play 17, not come across that bug, what is it?

22 hours ago, oblongata21 said:

5. Number of new gens with  ridiculously good stats, making the world full wonder kids. Fluid potential ability would help too

That happens when you add a new league, the game needs to fill itself with players so loads of newgens come in, it does take some realism out of it for me, seeing a 27 year Russian striker for CSKA Moscow who's not played any games, yet is worth 64 million and has other worldly stats. I try not to add league because of this.

Edited by bigmattb28

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Bothan Spy said:

Transfer values of players. It would be great if a players face value actually reflected the real value of what the club wants for him as fee, rather than it being a complete lottery of guess the price.

You see a semi decent left back, valued at 15 million, not really sure why he's valued at that, so you put a bid of 20 million in, game comes back with a counter offer of 35 million, plus 24 monthly installments of 150,000, arrange friendly and a sell on fee of 40%!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Bothan Spy said:

Regens faces. Surely in todays age of beautiful, state-of-the-art graphics, we can expect something that vaguely looks like a human being??

Agree with that, regen faces have actually gone backwards. They looked much better a few years ago. Makes it easier to play long term with nicer faces

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, FMunderachiever said:

Its annoying when a player takes offense to you praising them. Or offering support. Like seriously?

 

HAHAHA yes! And then when you try to apologise, he complains about the talk being a whole waste of time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, oblongata21 said:

HAHAHA yes! And then when you try to apologise, he complains about the talk being a whole waste of time

'I'm really pleased with your training performances'

'I'm not having this conversation again!' 

Loses a chunk of morale.

Very strange.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, oblongata21 said:

Agree with that, regen faces have actually gone backwards. They looked much better a few years ago. Makes it easier to play long term with nicer faces

They're 3D models now though.  For better or worse they are completely different now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, FMunderachiever said:

Its annoying when a player takes offense to you praising them. Or offering support. Like seriously?

 

 

1 hour ago, oblongata21 said:

HAHAHA yes! And then when you try to apologise, he complains about the talk being a whole waste of time

 

14 minutes ago, KingCanary said:

'I'm really pleased with your training performances'

'I'm not having this conversation again!' 

Loses a chunk of morale.

Very strange.


An example just for funsies; In real life i would be that player. Both in football and at work i cannot stand praise. It annoys the hell out of me.
I want to know what i can improve on. Not be praised about stuff i already know. For me that is a waste of time.
My fm body language would be "didn't seem to be listening". 
In a simplified conversation it would probably be like how it's portrayed in FM :D

Not saying they shouldn't do something about it in the game, but it does exist in real life.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can my assistant stop telling me to close down a corner/freekick taker because he can cross a ball? How can I close down a set piece?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/07/2020 at 16:44, sammayel666 said:

Outshooting an opponent 20 to 2, winning 4-0, but only having 41% of the possession and the entire press conference focussing on how we 'scraped a win' after being 'dominated'

 

image.thumb.png.9fb05bb9421df67bf5162770fbe5aed6.png

Case in point. Clearly we were the weaker side...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sammayel666 said:

 

image.thumb.png.9fb05bb9421df67bf5162770fbe5aed6.png

Case in point. Clearly we were the weaker side...

I get this one constantly because of my tactics. It's a real shame, because it also feeds into a false narrative that the team with most possession deserves to win the game. The top answer option is pretty spot on, to be fair

Football Manager 2020 13_07_2020 15.00.59.png

Football Manager 2020 13_07_2020 15.01.26.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/07/2020 at 02:10, Overmars said:

I just checked my salary and it is lower than my head physio, chief scout, and assistant manager. We have a balance of 44 million, are through to the knockout stages of the Champions League, have already made 21 million of profit this season, and the board is willing to give me a raise to 121 thousand after 5 successful seasons with the club. That would be the second-lowest manager salary in our league and less than 20% of the top manager salary. It's so insulting that I'm actually going to change clubs now out of virtual spite.

I feel your pain, I was at Man Utd and Real Madrid, over a few seasons after joining the clubs with only £20-30 million in the bank I had helped them get up to over £500 million via player sales, good buys, competition money due to successes, etc.  Yet every time they tried to negotiate a new contract with me it was far lower than most players were on and no flexibility was given to changing the amount offered even by the smallest of margins (Real Madrid refused me even a £1 increase in salary and no % increase per year even though we were the richest club in the world).  I pretty much follow your logic in that I eventually leave as I am fed up with what 'in my head' I perceive as disrespect.

Obviously it is 'only a game' but when SI seem to focus on so many different small factors that are irrelevant to gameplay (for me) they can't get the manager contracts right is quite bemusing especially as I haven't noticed this problem or the degree of it until FM20.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pw75 said:

I feel your pain, I was at Man Utd and Real Madrid, over a few seasons after joining the clubs with only £20-30 million in the bank I had helped them get up to over £500 million via player sales, good buys, competition money due to successes, etc.  Yet every time they tried to negotiate a new contract with me it was far lower than most players were on and no flexibility was given to changing the amount offered even by the smallest of margins (Real Madrid refused me even a £1 increase in salary and no % increase per year even though we were the richest club in the world).  I pretty much follow your logic in that I eventually leave as I am fed up with what 'in my head' I perceive as disrespect.

Obviously it is 'only a game' but when SI seem to focus on so many different small factors that are irrelevant to gameplay (for me) they can't get the manager contracts right is quite bemusing especially as I haven't noticed this problem or the degree of it until FM20.

I am completely the same.
I ran my contract at Man United down to its last month.

At all stages when the board and myself sat down for ‘negotiations’ there was no wiggle room and everything was always the same. Not to mention that because I was hoping a ran-down contract negotiation could help me, there was even a press-article where one of my players hoped I would sign and stay...still did not change anything.

I have always played the game with personal pride in the statement ‘a fair days work should equal a fair days pay’.
I was raised as a kid on that mantra .

In life, people get what they deserve or what they can negotiate for themselves.

I feel the demotivating and purely negative effect that a bad managers contract can have on a full immersed player is too big to ignore and I really hope they fix things.

The logic of the game is lost and when no reward is gained for doing an amazing job. The lack of negotiation equates to me as a lack of recognition.
I don’t need statues or parts of a stadium named after me. I just want a contract that reflects my achievements.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1.players who constantly get high training ratings stats visibly deteriorating. (Not older players)

2.being asked about your relationship with the board every single time you get refused a request.

3.players showing up in scout reports constantly despite removing them from your shortlist and/or discarding.

4.A missed penalty being the death knell for that player.

5.Most of your team talks and shouts provoking either a negative or couldn't care less response.

E.g. Newcastle against man Utd at old Trafford, Newcastle go 1-0 down, I encourage them... furious.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of things are annoying about the game. Or just flat out rubbish. Too many to list.

The game is woeful. Its nothing like football.

The reason we play is because weve grown up with the simplicity and beauty of the old championship manager games, and if you want a football management career where else can you go? fifa isnt the same.

If that offends a few people, it really shouldnt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In no particular order,

1. World class players missing open goals every couple of games

2. Free headers always going over the bar

3. Not being able to spend the manager's salary on anything 

4. Injuries happening instantly after the last sub

5. Man Utd being OP in every version

6. Players getting annoyed at exclusion league registration before the window closes

Plus the aforementioned ridiculousness regarding asking prices for anyone not transfer listed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, FMunderachiever said:

A lot of things are annoying about the game. Or just flat out rubbish. Too many to list.

The game is woeful. Its nothing like football.

The reason we play is because weve grown up with the simplicity and beauty of the old championship manager games, and if you want a football management career where else can you go? fifa isnt the same.

If that offends a few people, it really shouldnt.

The old Champ Manager games definitely seemed more realistic and there was less fluff with them.
Yes they were simple but the realisism made up for that.

I often wonder if the introduction of 3D match highlights or 3D games acting out the game as-it-happens, has in some way created a lack of detail in other areas.
I am 100% sure the 3D aspect of the game has attracted new players of the game, so from a business point of view i can understand why they have taken that route.  

Your comment should not offend people, it will make many people (like me) smile. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/07/2020 at 03:51, roykela said:

Oh, so you're THAT employee!  I'd love to get some praise for a job well done, the only time I hear from management is when I make a mistake, and it's not even a BIG mistake, but somehow they expect 100% perfection and...never mind, no one wants to hear about it. 

 


An example just for funsies; In real life i would be that player. Both in football and at work i cannot stand praise. It annoys the hell out of me.
I want to know what i can improve on. Not be praised about stuff i already know. For me that is a waste of time.
My fm body language would be "didn't seem to be listening". 
In a simplified conversation it would probably be like how it's portrayed in FM :D

Not saying they shouldn't do something about it in the game, but it does exist in real life.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

How for the past 6 years there's only ever been about 2 valid team talk options to give.

Press conferences.

How you have to give team-wide team talks first, so if your team has played rubbish you criticise. But then your praise for an outstanding individual is negated and usually results in confusion.

Edited by CSF90

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What do you think of your opposite number pointing out that a player who hasn't started a first team game in eighteen months and won't even be on your subs bench is your weakest link?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When clubs turn down your 3 million offer but except 500k of AI club 

When player refuses your 30k a week offer but signs for lower club on 5k a week 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Older staff accepting 4 or 5 year contracts then promptly retiring at the end of the first season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The 'Determination' attribute deteriorating at an alarming rate in players for some inexplicable reason.

Edited by Bothan Spy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/07/2020 at 20:03, Overmars said:

How someone who scores in the first half suddenly becomes a much better player. If he scores twice then he becomes seemingly invincible. If someone misses a couple of chances or has a mistake leading to a goal then they become virtually useless.

This is a vital one.

 

I want to know how well my (for example) centre back is playing.  But because he scored from a corner after 5mins, his rating is lifted massively, meaning I can't really judge how well he's doing as a defender.  He could be having a nightmare, but still looks better than his teammate beside him because the ball hit his arse and went in 60 minutes ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Bielsa1975 said:

When clubs turn down your 3 million offer but except 500k of AI club 

When player refuses your 30k a week offer but signs for lower club on 5k a week 

 

 

This keeps happening to me.  To teams with lower reputation than me too, and when the player is "extremely interested" in signing for me.  I've seen requests for £80k/week, and then the same player accepting £8k/week elsewhere a few weeks later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, petertr said:

his rating is lifted massively, meaning I can't really judge how well he's doing as a defender.

You have all the other players stats to look at, like mistakes made, tackle % etc to judge how well a player plays though. Especially if you know his rating is better because he scored a goal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...