Jump to content
Sports Interactive Community

Recommended Posts

pretty much the same tactic as previous season, main striker scored 17 last season. this season hes squandering all his chances and just doesn't contribute much in general. we're typically solid defensively, but not that lethal going forward. most of ours goals are scored by the midfielders. had him as an AF so my BPDs can launch balls over the top on the counter but he's always offside (no beat offside PPM). have him as a DLF now to layoff passes to the oncoming CM/A, works fine against teams that don't defend deep and narrow. 

1.PNG

2.PNG

3.PNG

4.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, robot_skeleton said:

which of them do you use in that role?

The first one is my starting striker. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

A few things to consider:

- The tactic you have created is the archetypal 'kick and rush' style which is fine if that's what you are going for (although some of your TIs would contradict that theory) but requires a few key ingredients to work well.

1) The opponent makes some attempt to attack you by committing players forward in order to give you space on the counter

2) You have enough players in advanced positions once the ball is recovered to take advantage of long balls played from deep

3) You have roles which support that style of play, in my book a DLF isn't that sort of player which is probably why you had better success with the AF

- You are attempting to press high and hard but are using a bottom heavy formation which will be far less effective at that style of defending. How exactly are you supposed to prevent the GK distributing it short with only 1 player (your ST) set to close down opposition defenders? When he closes down one central defender the other is completely free hence it's not effective.

- The reason why you could be seeing your ST being caught offside repeatedly is because you are compressing the space in behind the opposition defensive line too much with your ultra high defensive line, this gets further compounded against opposition which field a higher line also.

- Your striker is overburdened in terms of what you expect from him and is probably isolated quite often. It doesn't favour him having to consistently beat 2 central defenders (sometimes 3) on every attack. As your approach play isn't patient you'll probably find that the support from deep (Central Midfielder, Winger, Inverted Winger) arrives too late to help meaning that you are dependent on your striker pulling off a piece of magic to score goals.

- There is no push-pull in the tactic. What I mean by that is there is nobody seeking to pull the opposition defensive line forward by either sitting in the AM zone or dropping deep off the front line (The DLF hasn't the space to do it consistently). Everybody who you expect to attack (except the Mezzala) is setup to push the opposition defensive line back. The problem with that is it makes life easier for the opposition defenders as all they need to do is hold their line. Your tactic isn't doing anything to break the oppositions defensive line.

You need to commit to a playing philosophy in your tactic, as it stands, it's rather confused. The reason why your striker isn't contributing is because the tactic isn't set up in a way for him to contribute. A Deep Lying Forward is best utilized in a more patient buildup which has space in the golden zone. That is necessary to give him time and space to perform his actions of dropping deeper to receive the ball and on getting it, holding up the ball and bringing other players around him into play with his creative passing.

As I said earlier, your tactic is all about winning the ball back from deeper positions and launching it long for the lone striker to compete for. It's low percentage football and when it fails there is no plan B. You need to develop more potential routes to goal if you are to improve the attacking potency of the tactic and see more from your striker.

I hope that has been helpful to you

All the best

Edited by pheelf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i switched the ST to AF, took off play out of defense, and upped the passing direction after posting and it's better now. 5-1, 2-1, 3-0, striker scored 4+2 assists in 3 games against 2 top sides and 1 relegation team. 

15 minutes ago, pheelf said:

- There is no push-pull in the tactic. What I mean by that is there is nobody seeking to pull the opposition defensive line forward by either sitting in the AM zone or dropping deep off the front line (The DLF hasn't the space to do it consistently). Everybody is setup to push the opposition defensive line back. The problem with that is it makes life easier for the opposition defenders as all they need to do is hold their line. Your tactic isn't doing anything to break the oppositions defensive line.

i agree theres something lacking in that CAM area but how would i do that without playing a CAM? 

 

19 minutes ago, pheelf said:

As I said earlier, your tactic is all about winning the ball back from deeper positions and launching it long for the lone striker to compete for. It's low percentage football and when it fails there is no plan B. You need to develop more potential routes to goal if you are to improve the attacking potency of the tactic and see more from your striker.

but it's not a tactic about winning the ball back from deep. counter-press, high DL LOE, high pressure. we press right away and pressure the opposition team in to hoofing it up the pitch or out of bounds. against bigger team, they don't tend to crumble under every press and are able to play their way out now and then, thats the only time we win the ball back deep and that's when i expect a long ball to be played out quick to my AF on the counter but hes offside most of the time. i think its due to him lacking pace so he tries to break forward but is too early, maybe i should i try a pacier forward. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How has the 3rd striker done? For my bias/preferences I'd likely prefer him - all things being equal.

Those first two guys have bad teamwork/workrate, which for a role (DLF) that is about linking up, getting others involved, and scoring, neither have what should be a couple key attributes for that I'd think? Of course you have said you just had a good run, so what do I know. But I had a striker who had great on-paper attributes and he never got going for me and he was low in those. Bought him for 18m and sold for 55m 1.5 seasons later, so great on the financials, but was a frustrating 25 matches or so with only 4 or 5 goals IIRC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CaptCanuck said:

How has the 3rd striker done? For my bias/preferences I'd likely prefer him - all things being equal.

Those first two guys have bad teamwork/workrate, which for a role (DLF) that is about linking up, getting others involved, and scoring, neither have what should be a couple key attributes for that I'd think? Of course you have said you just had a good run, so what do I know. But I had a striker who had great on-paper attributes and he never got going for me and he was low in those. Bought him for 18m and sold for 55m 1.5 seasons later, so great on the financials, but was a frustrating 25 matches or so with only 4 or 5 goals IIRC.

yea brought the wonderkid in as my starting striker, scored 6 in 2 but against smaller teams. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...