RAM question

hey guys 

does ram play a part in how many leagues you can run or is it based on the processor ?

i have a new laptop with an I5 10th gen processor and 8gb of ram but i have being thinking of getting 16gb stick to install

would this make any difference?

The most important part of the hardware is the processor as this does all the work while the game is running.  8GB is perfectly fine for running FM and an increase to 16GB would IMO only give a very small and probably unnoticeable performance increase

4 minutes ago, FrazT said:

The most important part of the hardware is the processor as this does all the work while the game is running. 8GB is perfectly fine for running FM and an increase to 16GB would IMO only give a very small and probably unnoticeable performance increase

ok thank for the quick reply

On 01/07/2020 at 10:26, FrazT said:

The most important part of the hardware is the processor as this does all the work while the game is running.  8GB is perfectly fine for running FM and an increase to 16GB would IMO only give a very small and probably unnoticeable performance increase

Would adding an SSD drive make a difference? 

1 minute ago, FrazT said:

An SSD will speed up the loading and saving time, but will have little or no impact on game processing speed

So adding another/replacing the processor/s is the way to go? Can you generally add another processor if you only have one currently, or does it depend on the current hardware and it's compatability?

Edited by Jorge666

7 minutes ago, Jorge666 said:

So adding another/replacing the processor/s is the way to go? Can you generally add another processor if you only have one currently, or does it depend on the current hardware and it's compatability?

I would suggest that you get some technical advice before upgrading the processor because of possible compatibility issues with other hardware and the motherboard.  Depending on the age of your current machine, it may not be financially worth it

1 minute ago, FrazT said:

I would suggest that you get some technical advice before upgrading the processor because of possible compatibility issues with other hardware and the motherboard.  Depending on the age of your current machine, it may not be financially worth it

Thought as much, don't get me wrong mine is perfectly playable but I want 5 star performance with every league loaded 

3 hours ago, Jorge666 said:

Thought as much, don't get me wrong mine is perfectly playable but I want 5 star performance with every league loaded 

Unfortunately, I don't think that's really possible at present. As far as I know, this game isn't optimized to multi-thread processes, meaning you're pretty much reliant on a single CPU core to run the game. In practice, this means that you want to get the CPU with the highest clock rate you can find that is the most efficient at making per-core computations. Right now I believe that this is the Intel Core i9-10900k. Still, it won't be giving you 5 star performance with all leagues loaded. Far from it.

If they multi-threaded everything (and the game seems extraordinarily well suited to it), a Ryzen threadripper would just eviscerate the game, allowing such performance.

I know this doesn't answer the RAM query - but the processor is the most important thing for FM.

This is from Nov 2017.

Got an answer on this from Neil Brock

I spoke to someone and this is the jist of what he and I came to:

For how the game uses threads - it will create as many threads for playing matches and shortlisting as you have cores (including hyperthreads).

But the performance you see varies on the setup for example with matches - Quick Matches for instance (so for loaded but non-managed in leagues) it's are so fast anyway it gets to the point where it doesn't make that much more difference having more cores.

If you use detail level to set more stuff to full match you'll start seeing betters gains for more cores, but of course will still be slower than by just not having the league loaded, or having it at a low detail level.

Similar sort of thing with shortlisting the more / leagues players you have loaded the more benefits you can potentially see with more cores, however this is probably more than offset by the general slowdown from having more stuff loading as there's still a large portion of the game which is single threaded. 

In regards to best processors, as a general guide we tend to suggest using the following comparison site as a good gauge of the performance capabilities - https://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Processors-Benchmark-List.2436.0.html 

Basic rule of thumb is the higher it is on the list, the better it is. You can edit it to show processors for desktops and also those that are considered 'archived' via the restriction options. 

Hope some of this is of use. 

6 hours ago, Jorge666 said:

Yeh you won't get that - and the in-star game ratings for performance is not accurate, it's a general guide. 

See the link in the post above, that lists all the processors in order of best to worst. 

But other factors - come into play - RAM Is important 8gb is plenty, but there are some small gains for going 16gb - but 32gb is an absolute waste.

Graphics card - the game isn't graphically inclined, so you should be ok with something basic like a GTX 1050.

But typically, off the shelf builds won't pair a high end processor with a mid range graphics card due to bottlenecking. 

If you're buying a high end processor as your machine - then it will come with higher end motherboards, graphics cards, etc. ----typically.