Sports Interactive Community
OJ403

A question about factors affecting training new positions

So for context, I'm looking at retraining my AMC as either a left midfielder or a striker as I'm looking to change my 4411 tactic to a 442. The player in question is one of my best players, hence why I want to retrain him as I have other more prefered options to be my midfield two and he has the attributes to play either up front or on the left.

I'm aware several factors influence the likelihood of retraining being successful, e.g. hidden attributes such as versitility and adaptability (which I believe is hinted at in the number of positions a player can play already), training facilities and playing time in the new position. However, the player in question is 29 years of age so having never retrained a player of that age so I was wondering if age impacts the likelihood of retraining new positions being successful.

I see no reason why it shouldn't be other than the possibility that the player is "set in his ways" and won't respond ideally to a new position - I believe similar occurs with PPMs, staff say something along the lines of "I wouldn't change anything so late in the players career" or words to that effect. However, its also something that I see often in real life where an older player adapts to a new position to allow them to continue playing, e.g. Wayne Rooney playing deeper in midfield. 

So basically, I was wondering if age has any impacts on the successes of retraining a player into a new position that they have no or limited knowledge of?

Age is indeed a factor. Younger players will generally, but not exclusively, pick up new positions more easily.

8 hours ago, Seb Wassell said:

Age is indeed a factor. Younger players will generally, but not exclusively, pick up new positions more easily.

Cheers Seb

How big of an influencing factor would you say age is out of curiosity?

And at what age is a player likely to become virtually impossible to retrain? Obviously other factors as I mentioned in the OP are relevant, but at what point does age become dominant, if ever?

11 hours ago, OJ403 said:

Cheers Seb

How big of an influencing factor would you say age is out of curiosity?

And at what age is a player likely to become virtually impossible to retrain? Obviously other factors as I mentioned in the OP are relevant, but at what point does age become dominant, if ever?

There isn't really a 'point'. Some types of retraining are actually encouraged at older ages, such as training a DM to move to DC or a winger to move inside as they lose their pace.

Having Neymar as a Regista at 34 years old schooling players much younger than him was one of my best FM20 experiences! 19 goals and 26 assists, that year. 

Screenshot-2020-06-05-at-15.22.00.png

16 minutes ago, fmFutbolManager said:

Having Neymar as a Regista at 34 years old schooling players much younger than him was one of my best FM20 experiences! 19 goals and 26 assists, that year. 

Screenshot-2020-06-05-at-15.22.00.png

Yeah I remember reading about it on your blog. Interestingly I'm looking at moving a player out wide to a WP-A from the left. He's only 29 and still has capable physicals despite never being a star in that respect anyway, if I get a couple of seasons out of him there then I'll be happy