Sports Interactive Community
Gungner

Transfer fees rising unrealistically

It's a problem. I'm Ajax, and can't even sign 19-year old brazilian (valued at £30k) for less than £9mil. A few seasons in, you can't sign anyone unless you're a filthy rich club.

You could always come to terms with the fact that the reason why that 19-year old Brazilian costs so much, is because the club believes he is a big talent and doesn't want to sell. Once there you could look for a similar player in a club more positively predisposed to selling and probably get a much better price.

It's not just him. It's any player. 

Did you do any work ahead of trying to sign him? Declare interest, scout games yourself, have other players talk about him in the media? All those things can unsettle the player and are tools you can use to lower the price. What I usually do is make an offer a bit lower than what I would we willing to pay (not "suggest", but actually offer). They often refuse, as they should. Then I would use tools and see if that makes the player unsettled, then continue to offer a bit more each time. Then stop for a while before doing the same again. If the player makes a real fuzz at the club he is at, then it's often quite easy to get him for a reasonable price. If he don't, well, then I have to pay a premium for him if I really want him.

You might notice; "hey, that's what the AI does to my players all the time, and lowball offer for my best players". And, yes, that is what they do. They try to unsettle the player so he doesn't play well and becomes a real headache for the manager. Some time you will sell him, just to get the noise out of the club and to avoid other players rallying in and supporting him, and other times you stand your ground. The AI is much similar in this regard.

So use the tools the game have available to lower the price as much as possible. If you simply see a player you like and suggest a fee without doing anything else, of course you are going to be told to take a hike or pay fantasy money.

Found this too being quoted £200 mil plus for a 16 year old is crazy

Posted (edited)

It happens often. In general, transfers are very poorly done. Maybe the most unrealistic and weakest part of this game. I also saw player somewhere from South Africa who went to other club for 25 millions at the time he was worth 100 000. 

In general, if you try to buy some better player, they will ask for insane amount of money, like twice or more of his market value. You can try to unsettle here or there, but it will not reduce amount much, you'll still need to overpay. I (Milan) was trying to buy dude (20 .yo.  wonderkind) from Stuttgart valued at 50M. They asked for 120. After he got haywire with his manager, I managed to get him for 92M.

On the other hand - when you sell - it's completely different kind of story. Even for the most valuable players from your squad you get only offers which are up to or slightly lower/above than players market value (and divided into one million of different clauses, instalments, etc). 

In the background we can see clubs throwing crazy amounts between them (Juventus to Barca for 172M, Real to City for 198M, etc), but that never happen to player.

I only once managed to get more money for player and in one cash payment. 70M from M. City for player who was walued at 60M (Brighton).

Should be same on both ends of the stick, not that only we get robbed.

Edited by Prokopije

2 hours ago, jackripper said:

Found this too being quoted £200 mil plus for a 16 year old is crazy

That's the team saying they don't want to sell. They're not seriously suggesting that you pay 200m.

6 hours ago, XaW said:

Did you do any work ahead of trying to sign him? Declare interest, scout games yourself, have other players talk about him in the media? All those things can unsettle the player and are tools you can use to lower the price. What I usually do is make an offer a bit lower than what I would we willing to pay (not "suggest", but actually offer). They often refuse, as they should. Then I would use tools and see if that makes the player unsettled, then continue to offer a bit more each time. Then stop for a while before doing the same again. If the player makes a real fuzz at the club he is at, then it's often quite easy to get him for a reasonable price. If he don't, well, then I have to pay a premium for him if I really want him.

You might notice; "hey, that's what the AI does to my players all the time, and lowball offer for my best players". And, yes, that is what they do. They try to unsettle the player so he doesn't play well and becomes a real headache for the manager. Some time you will sell him, just to get the noise out of the club and to avoid other players rallying in and supporting him, and other times you stand your ground. The AI is much similar in this regard.

So use the tools the game have available to lower the price as much as possible. If you simply see a player you like and suggest a fee without doing anything else, of course you are going to be told to take a hike or pay fantasy money.

Unsettling can help, yes. 

But declaring your interest only spikes up the price.

2 hours ago, Prokopije said:

On the other hand - when you sell - it's completely different kind of story. Even for the most valuable players from your squad you get only offers which are up to or slightly lower/above than players market value (and divided into one million of different clauses, instalments, etc). 

I just watched this video and this guy didn't have any trouble to get big offers for 2 of his clubs. And bear in mind that he is forcing them out of the club so he should get way less than with patient aprouch to the market.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuTAH8mk6fE

And this coincides with my experience and I was always able to sell players for more then their value. And it usually happens when I don't want to sell. I keep rejecting and the offers keep getting bigger and bigger. And then I start negotiating and ask for even more.  I sold to of my players from Rapid for over 20M when their value was about 2M. Or I remember I sold Kessie and Andre Silva both foro over 100M, on FM18.

2 hours ago, Prokopije said:

In the background we can see clubs throwing crazy amounts between them (Juventus to Barca for 172M, Real to City for 198M, etc), but that never happen to player.

I do agree with this. I always thought that I need to have different strategy or that I am doing something wrong because it is really hard to get those really huge offers. And it sould be hard but it would be at least once in a save to rob someone like that.

I'm in the 2027/28 season in the Premier League as Worthing (starting out unplayable) and am not having a problem with this. 

I've sold players for reasonable (sometimes too high IMO) amounts to the AI and managed to sign good quality players for reasonable fees.

The AI has gone mental though.  Man City bought a player for £226m from Spurs in my save.  He isn't that good either.

In my current save, at Dinamo, I had a bid of £69m for one of my centre-backs, who was 'worth' around £4m. The bid got that high after I rejected a bunch of smaller offers. I don't think the player has particularly good CA/PA, but clearly the team were desperate.

My advice is not to pay too much attention to the 'value' the game assigns to a player. It's influenced by their contract and reputation. Scout a player and see what your scout thinks is a suitable bid, Then put in a low bid to see if the rejection you get indicates whether he has a Release Clause or not. Then work upwards from there until you either reach an agreement with the club or you hit the maximum you're willing to offer (you do have a maximum in mind, right?). 

The Transfer module isn't perfect - I'm really not a fan of clubs still asking for 8-digit fees for players when they've got 7 months left on their contract and they're not even getting game time - but the fact is that you usually have to pay a lot of money to sign an exciting talent or world-class player.

18 hours ago, Gungner said:

not necessarily. keep bidding low and make the club reject, it can trigger the player into turning in a transfer request and the asking price is usually lower than what the club wanted initially.

19 hours ago, Gungner said:

Declaring interest will also unsettle the player, if you are a bigger club and the player have some ambition at least. I've negotiated down very high prices for very good players a lot by doing what I said. In FM18 I got Dele Alli to Liverpool for about £40m if I remember correctly. And the first negotiation from Spurs was about £120m or something. It took me about 6 months, but paying a third of the price 6 months later is worth it.

And I sold Lovren to Leicester for £41m at the same time, so I made a profit by getting rid of Lovren and bringing in Alli. And that's one of the reasons I mostly play youth-only saves these days, it's too easy to exploit the transfer market in FM. Now, I only use the profits I get to increase the facilities at the club.

4 minutes ago, XaW said:

Declaring interest will also unsettle the player, if you are a bigger club and the player have some ambition at least. I've negotiated down very high prices for very good players a lot by doing what I said. In FM18 I got Dele Alli to Liverpool for about £40m if I remember correctly. And the first negotiation from Spurs was about £120m or something. It took me about 6 months, but paying a third of the price 6 months later is worth it.

And I sold Lovren to Leicester for £41m at the same time, so I made a profit by getting rid of Lovren and bringing in Alli. And that's one of the reasons I mostly play youth-only saves these days, it's too easy to exploit the transfer market in FM. Now, I only use the profits I get to increase the facilities at the club.

I've really struggled to unsettle anyone in FM20, I was pretty successful at in 18.

For example I'm managing Norwich in the Premier League and finished fourth. My top target was James Ward-Prowse, playing for Southampton who'd been relegated that season. Despite believing I'd be an attractive proposition for him and doing all the usual stuff (declare as top target, multiple scouting trips, bids being rejected) he didn't budge. I ended up getting him the next summer but even then I couldn't get him to put in a transfer request, it was just that Southamptons valuation came down a bit when they didn't bounce back up.

22 minutes ago, KingCanary said:

I've really struggled to unsettle anyone in FM20, I was pretty successful at in 18.

For example I'm managing Norwich in the Premier League and finished fourth. My top target was James Ward-Prowse, playing for Southampton who'd been relegated that season. Despite believing I'd be an attractive proposition for him and doing all the usual stuff (declare as top target, multiple scouting trips, bids being rejected) he didn't budge. I ended up getting him the next summer but even then I couldn't get him to put in a transfer request, it was just that Southamptons valuation came down a bit when they didn't bounce back up.

Yeah, that happens sometimes, and especially in very loyal players I've found. Now, I don't know about Ward-Prowse's loyalty, but I assume to was pretty high if he was willing to go down a tier and not make a fuzz when a higher ranked club came knocking.

It's not a fool proof method, but I've had a lot of success with it earlier. I can't say 100% for FM20 since I've ONLY played youth challenges this version and I just love the development aspect.