Sports Interactive Community

When trying to play football manager 2020, I am receiving this error message. I have re-installed Intel/NVIDIA drivers, updated my windows PC. I've enabled Football manager in my NVIDIA apps, change my power settings to high. I've deleted all the folders associated with football manager and then uninstalled the game and re-installed but still no joy. I've included a screenshot as well as two of crash dumps. 

image.png.cda0f18bcddb8a1348695319564f3e21.png

FM 2020 v20.4.1.1373994 (2020.06.27 10.33.14).dmp FM 2020 v20.4.1.1373994 (2020.06.27 00.02.38).dmp

Hi yusufdinn, hope you are well.

I was also getting an application error during start-up of the game since Saturday 27th June. I last successfully played the game on 23rd June. I have managed to fix my error and have outlined what I did with the hope it may resolve your issue also.

My issue seems to have been to do with 1 or more xml files either being corrupted or holding data the game doesn’t like during loading. The files causing it (for me anyway) were in my ‘C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Local\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2020\Preferences\version 3’ folder.

Create a folder on your C drive (can be anywhere, this was just convenient for me) called ‘FM crash’.

Within your FM Crash folder create 2 folders – one called ‘Working’ and another called ‘Not Working’.

Browse to your ‘C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Local\Sports Interactive\’ folder.

MOVE the ‘Football Manager 2020’ folder to your ‘C:\FM crash\Not Working’ folder. (Move folder, don’t copy)

Run Football Manager 2020 and the game should run ok (if it doesn’t work you may have a different issue than myself) but you’ll arrive at the initial preferences screens where you are must complete your player name / accept EULA / Targeted or non-targeted Advertising Boards and Age etc. Complete this and continue until you get to the main game screen where you would load your game / start a career game. At this stage the start-up screen will show a default avatar representation of your player. Quit out of Football Manager 2020 at this stage.

Browse to your ‘C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Local\Sports Interactive\’ folder.

This should have been repopulated with early game default files.

COPY the ‘Football Manager 2020’ folder to your ‘C:\FM crash\Working’ folder. (Copy folder, don’t move).

COPY every folder EXCEPT ‘Preferences’ from ‘C:\FM crash\Not Working\Football Manager 2020’ folder to your ‘C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Local\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2020’ folder overwriting any files that already exist.

Start Football Manager 2020 again and make sure the game loads without crashing. If the game loads OK then close the game down and you are ready to proceed to more or less the final stage. If the game doesn’t load ok at this stage you may have a different issue than myself.

The final stage can be a trial and error stage.

Browse to your ‘C:\FM crash\Not Working\Football Manager 2020\Preferences\version 3’ folder and sort the xml files by date modified so the most recently changed files appear at the top of your File Explorer session.

On my game I last played on the 23rd/24th of June and when I loaded up the game on the 27th of June, I started getting the application error during start-up. I did make some changes to a couple of views that I had set up for my user defined squad selection screens and one or two others.

I copied all my xml files from ‘C:\FM crash\Not Working\Football Manager 2020\Preferences\version 3’ folder EXCEPT the files changed on 23rd of June (my most recent changes) back into my ‘C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Local\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2020\Preferences\version 3’ folder overwriting any existing files.

Start Football Manager 2020 again and make sure the game loads without crashing. If the game loads OK then close the game down. If the game doesn’t load then you may have to repeat the process but this time only copy XML files up to (but not including) your 2nd most recent date of change – this is what I meant by trial and error.

Assuming the game is still successfully loading up for you then go back to your ‘C:\FM crash\Not Working\Football Manager 2020\Preferences\version 3’ folder and copy the Profile0.xml (and any other Profile xmls – they should be numbered sequentially i.e. Profile1.xml) back into ‘C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Local\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2020\Preferences\version 3’ folder overwriting any existing files.

If the game successfully loads then forget your most recent changes and get back to playing or try re-creating the changes again in game yourself if you like – I chose not to do this. If the game doesn’t load up successfully, but did up to the previous point then you also have an issue with the Profile xml files (or one of them – perhaps trial and error with these files – I never had a problem with my profile files, I replaced them with my old ones and the game still loaded up for me.

After completing the process outlined myself, I successfully loaded up the game, played a couple of game days, played a match then played another couple of game days, saved the game, quit the game and then started Football Manager again and everything seemed fine. Good luck – hope this work for you.

Any success so far? Receiving the same error on FM 18. I suspect the cause to be the Windows 8.1 Update

6 minutes ago, b0reto said:

Any success so far? Receiving the same error on FM 18. I suspect the cause to be the Windows 8.1 Update

Hi b0reto - I run Windows 10 but presume Windows 8 will have equivalent paths (I've never used Windows 8) - why not try what I have outlined but apply to FM18 and see if it works for you as it worked for myself - good luck.

yusufdinn, do you have any custom add-ons installed at all? At what point are you receiving the crash dump?

And can I ask you to please attach your system dxdiag file:

Here's the DxDiag file, no custom add ons. When i try and join an online game it comes up as that and then kicks me out the game

DxDiag.txt

Oh this is my bad - I've just spotted this is a GamePass issue. 

There is a known crash with GP online at the moment, one that we are collaborating to fix with Microsoft. We don't have a specific date for a fix currently, but are constantly trying to resolve it. From what we've observed, it seems to occur more frequently during 'peak hours' of gameplay, around 6-10pm UK time, so you may be best trying outwith that time if possible. 

Really sorry for the inconvenience in the meantime.