Sports Interactive Community
Timetxu

[FM20] - Experiment: A Fairer 2026 FIFA World Cup

3 hours ago, collindinho said:

There's some interesting games forming, even with the teams that have already qualified (England to play Germany; Spain to play Uruguay). They'll both want to win to advance direct to the round of 16. Seems like it's still theoretically possible for other teams to squeeze into that top 8, with 6+ points.

The cool thing about this format is that it's a lot rarer for teams to get nine points from their first three matches because every bigger nation faces another big nation. So the need to win every single game is so much more important. England, Germany, Spain and Uruguay have all been smooth sailing so far, but you just know that probably two of them will need to play in the first knockout round.

DAY 11 - GAME 1

We continue with another day in this World Cup. Starting off with the two remaining games in the Eastern Hub. Then we'll head southwards for the last sextuplet of games in this second round of pool play.

Second Round of Pool Play
Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City, United States

iconfinder_Flag_of_Morocco_96284.png.e7035dad40d8a14d58fcba4f4f575e26.pngmorocco1.png.c021b16f868083f43b3aa39ca1b8745c.png6d4bc7b425138494ccfd1db63d8a064c.pnguzbekistan2.png.3f53c82416e6289e707c44dca02c780f.pngiconfinder_Flag_of_Uzbekistan_96136.png.85ad92c1f968c584b5b0280654b69fe2.png

Lineups:

Morocco (4-4-2):
Bounou; Hakimi, Saïss Yellow card, Feddal, Mendyl; Ziyech, Belhanda, Taarabt (Substituted offSubstituted in 77' S. Amrabat), Harit; Alioui, En-Nesyri

Uzbekistan (Defensive 4-2-3-1 Narrow):
Quvvatov; G'iyosov, Xoshimov (Substituted offSubstituted in 85' A'zamov), Krimets, Zoteev; Ahmedov, Hamrobekov Yellow card (Substituted offSubstituted in 90+1' Afonin), Salomov, Sobirxo'jaev (Substituted offSubstituted in 69' Rashidov), Aliboev Yellow card; Shomurodov Yellow card

Report:
Morocco went up just over ten minutes into the game when Rachid Alioui headed in a corner kick. Uzbekistan did not let their heads drop, however, as the first half was pretty evenly matched. The second half was of a whole other level as Morocco imposed its dominance on the Asians. Younes Belhanda placed a penalty kick on the outside of the Uzbeki post and Youssef En-Nesyri had a goal ruled out for offside, but the Sevilla striker did get his goal in the final minute of the game and gave the Atlas Lions a deserved 2-0 win.

Statistics:
Goals 0
Shots 9
On Target 6
2.5 + 1 PK 
Expected Goals 1.0
37% Possession 63%

Man of the Match:
Younes Belhanda - Morocco
(2 assists, clean sheet, 6 crosses completed, 3 key passes, 2 chances created, 6 recoveries)

DAY 11 - GAME 2

It's the last game in the Eastern Hub for now as Australia has a shot at qualifying for the next round if they beat Burkina Faso.

Second Round of Pool Play
FedExField, Washington D.C., United States

iconfinder_Flag_of_Australia_96167.png.616964ef6be6efe1c3aa780c520e371a.pngaustralia1.png.69acc200f4e843c5ac4c4538fe500c6b.pngbad46d4d0c2426fb3b4ae9e061f778cf.pngburkinafaso2.png.1e386ea932e303ed7279c39178dfddb9.pngiconfinder_Flag_of_Burkina_Faso_96171.png.3719c3fe33e958c809124303db1732a5.png

Lineups:

Australia (5-3-2 WB):
Ryan; Sainsbury, Degenek, Jurman, Grant (Substituted offSubstituted in 77' Karacic), Smith; Mooy Yellow card, Rogic (Substituted offSubstituted in 90' Troisi), Luongo; Giannou, Kruse (Substituted offSubstituted in 77' Maclaren)

Burkina Faso (Cautious 4-2-3-1 Wide):
Koffi; Yago, Koné, E. Tapsoba, Coulibaly; C. Kaboré Yellow card, Dabo (Substituted offSubstituted in 84' Touré), B. Traoré, Youssef, Bandé (Substituted offSubstituted in 63' Koura); L. Traoré (Substituted offSubstituted in 58' Nakoulma)

Report:
A thunderous wonder strike from 25 yards out by Aaron Mooy decided this game in the advantage of the Socceroos and sealed the Australian passage to the next round. The win was thoroughly deserved as the Ozzies could have been up before half time. Burkina Faso did manage to create some chances in the second half, based on the bountiful amount of possession that they amassed, but the score did not change.

Statistics:
Goals 0
Shots 10
On Target 4
Expected Goals 1.0
29% Possession 71%

Man of the Match:
Aaron Mooy - Australia
(1 goal, clean sheet, 6 crosses completed, 3 key passes, 4 tackles won, 9 recoveries, 95% passing accuracy)

Love the format of the match reports, how did you manage to get Expected Goals data? Is that a FMT thing?

23 minutes ago, jcoll said:

Love the format of the match reports, how did you manage to get Expected Goals data? Is that a FMT thing?

Thanks for following!

Regarding the expected goals: once I first heard of them, I was very interested in how these were calculated. About five years ago I came across the stat for the first time but there was absolutely no clear site to be found that showed what chance is worth what amount of goals. So I grew frustrated and then decided to track all shots during an entire Eredivisie season in a pretty basic way. I divided the pitch into six zones and tracked how many times a shot went in from that zone and how many times a header would go in from that zone. Ever since I have been using the results from that experiment in many of my FM saves where I simply score all attempts according to whether they were headers/shots and from where they were taken. It's not 100% accurate, but I've compared it to some other databases that are extremely detailed and I'd say I got very close, so I'm happy to use it as sort of a rough guideline.

This is the calculation I use:

xpg.thumb.png.74b2f4b088a17e86700f16349e853b54.png

Edited by Timetxu