Having Problems Sticking To A Save

Hello Everyone

Its not so much tactical advice, but i need your help changing my perspectives on the game really.

I have huge problems sticking to a save, with anyone.

This can work both ways to be honest. It can be that i start beating everyone on a save and feel great about things and then my interest level falls off because its almost like, it feels too goo to be true. Or it can be when things are going badly and nothing seems to work, and you just think to hell with it, theres about 17,000 other teams i could manage.

I need to change perspective on the game and need help to do this. I dont want the following patterns to emerge.

1) I start to massively resent the stupidity of the game. When players blatantly dont do what they are told, when they shoot at the near post from a ridiculous angle, when they run over the ball near the goal line or side lines and let the opponent have the ball, ive been known to quit a save there and then immediately.

2) I need to stop boredom setting in. The game has so much choice its incredible really. I guess i need to reinvent the tactics more maybe. But after managing the same players for a season, i start to feel like i want a new team to manage. the "appeal" of longevity never seems to be there

3) For whatever reason, i seem to manage particularly well in obscure leagues. Ive always done really well in Uruguay and Chile, despite hardly knowing any players in those leagues. I think its because i go in with a totally open mind, and dont try and redesign real life tactics into the game. And fail.

4) To stop looking for the "magic formula". Every save i go into, i feel like i will invent a tactic that will ruin the game. I never do. I did a save as Penarol of Uruguay, and developed a tactic that won something like 28 games in a row and went 50 unbeaten. I thought i had broken the game, lets try this with a SERIOUS team. Soon as i did of course, all the wheels fell off and a few months in another save got deleted.

5) Thinking the game owes me something. I sit there playing and just expect to win because its a computer game. I dont know why this is. Im too fast to dismiss the game if things start going badly. I think there are numerous bad aspects within the game for sure, but on the whole the game IS pretty good. so i need to avoid this.

So bearing all this in mind

1) I need to change perspective but really need help to be able to

2) I have no idea really who to manage. I manage anyone all around the world and just dont really know who to manage that will make me want to go for longevity

3) When things start going wrong (which they will do), i need a way of not thinking, why not just manage someone else

So really just want suggestions of a nice team to manage, and how i can change how i feel about the game. Im a long time player but maybe the spark has gone?

Thanks everyone

It's difficult to get that passion for the game back once the rot starts to set in. I know how you feel, I've been there before.

However, why don't you try and set yourself a challenge that can be a long-term challenge, but can also give you the freedom to move around clubs without having to stay a long time at a particular one.

For example, you could set yourself the challenge of winning the Champions League equivalent in each continent. 

Also, if you're getting annoyed with the player behaviour in the match highlights, why don't you turn it to text only and just watch the replays of the goals in 3D?

Just a couple of ideas anyway.

Edited by TheGoodRebel

I feel you... almost 800 hours on this game and the most I've done is one complete season. Still trying to figure out how this is possible..

image.thumb.png.7a5383ea97db0d3864cd034e64bac646.png

Hopefully this save is the one lol

Create some kind of story for your save. I can give you the example of my current save which got me playing again and it's been several months since it started.

The goal of my fictional (German) manager was to manage in the Bundesliga, where stadiums are full and football is spectacular both in the field and in the stands. But it would have to be realistic, which means I'd start with minimum rep and badges and would only load leagues with some sort of relation to bundesliga.

I loaded all German speaking countries and nearby countries and a few others. First I started in the 2nd tier in Finland with Eif. Reached a 2nd place and got fired even though we weren't one of the top3 teams. Then had several months looking for work. Almost a full season picking straws until I landed an impossible survival job against relegation with 5 games to go in Portugal's 3rd div. Most of the remaining games were against top team's reserves, with some PL tier quality players while i had some grays. We got relegated and that's a big stain on my curriculum.

Next i went to Danmark. 3rd tier. Managed 2 seasons there and got them back to back promotions to the main league and left them before starting the 3rd season to join a fallen Wacker Innsbruck in Austria. This was first serious club. Despite being in the 2nd division they had history, a solid structure and obvious potential to get back to the top of Austrian Football. It's been a fun ride and we dethroned Red Bull Salzburg for the title in our 3rd season and made it to the CL knock outs. Our fourth season started really well. Our youngsters that we have been surgically picking over the years are developing very well in our great facilities. We are clear 1st in the league so far and already beat Dortmund and Monaco in the group stages. It's great to watch our football as well and every year we adapt our system to our best players.

I'm waiting for a final call from Bundesliga now and i already had a couple offers but weren't worth it. With this exciting project in Austria i won't leave for anything but the top5.

And this is it. Don't take the game too seriously. Play how you want to but use the defeats as part of your save. It's a whole different game once you accept the game aims to screw your plans.

Edited by afailed10

1 minute ago, KyleHyde said:

Create some kind of story for your save. I can give you the example of my current save which got me playing again and it's been several months since it started.

The goal of my fictional (German) manager was to manage in the Bundesliga, where stadiums are full and football is spectacular both in the field and in the stands. But it would have to be realistic, which means I'd start with minimum rep and badges and would only load leagues with some sort of relation to bundesliga.

I loaded all German speaking countries and nearby countries and a few others. First I started in the 2nd tier in Finland with Eif. Reached a 2nd place and got fired even though we weren't one of the top3 teams. Then had several months looking for work. Almost a full season picking straws until I landed an impossible survival job against relegation with 5 games to go in Portugal's 3rd div. Most of the remaining games were against top team's reserves, with some PL tier quality players while i had some grays. We got relegated and that's a big stain on my curriculum.

Next i went to Danmark. 3rd tier. Managed 2 seasons there and got them back to back promotions to the main league and left them before starting the 3rd season to join a fallen Wacker Innsbruck in Austria. This was first serious club. Despite being in the 2nd division they had history, a solid structure and obvious potential to get back to the top of Austrian Football. It's been a fun ride and we dethroned Red Bull Salzburg for the title in our 3rd season and made it to the CL knock outs. Our fourth season started really well. Our youngsters that we have been surgically picking over the years are developing very well in our great facilities. We are clear 1st in the league so far and already beat Dortmund and Monaco in the group stages. It's great to watch our football as well and every year we adapt our system to our best players.

I'm waiting for a final call from Bundesliga now and i already had a couple offers but weren't worth it. With this exciting project in Austria i won't leave for anything but the top5.

And this is it. Don't take the game too seriously. Play how you want to use the defeats as part of your save. It's a whole different game once you accept the game aims to screw your plans.

I like this idea a LOT!

Im thinking of loading up the Scandanavian leagues and doing well in them as a gateway into the English Premier League. like a Solskjaer type career.

2 hours ago, FMunderachiever said:

I like this idea a LOT!

Im thinking of loading up the Scandanavian leagues and doing well in them as a gateway into the English Premier League. like a Solskjaer type career.

Ye that sounds good but remember you're not Ole or a retired international but a regular joe who dreams of managing in the PL!

It's quite a steep rise going from Scandinavia to England in terms of football rep but most likely you'd have to settle for the championship and build from there, once you've done it big in the Nordic leagues. I don't say anything below championship because then you're better starting in the lower leagues and do a completely different save!

One great thing about the leagues from smaller football nations is that they are often much quicker and makes the game less tedious.

1 hour ago, KyleHyde said:

Ye that sounds good but remember you're not Ole or a retired international but a regular joe who dreams of managing in the PL!

It's quite a steep rise going from Scandinavia to England in terms of football rep but most likely you'd have to settle for the championship and build from there, once you've done it big in the Nordic leagues. I don't say anything below championship because then you're better starting in the lower leagues and do a completely different save!

One great thing about the leagues from smaller football nations is that they are often much quicker and makes the game less tedious.

One other potential option is, ive got a game where i have almost finished season 1 of Colo Colo in Chile

At end of season, i could add in maybe Argentina, Brazil and then the leagues in Europe that might look to managers in South America. Im thinking Spain, Italy, possibly Portugal.

That way, ive got some cred in the bank ready for a possible move to a bigger South American nation, or making my way into Europe

In all the previous FMs, I've managed Bristol City from day one and normally get to about 2040 before getting a bit bored.

This FM, I've focused on me and building me as a manager. So I've gone from Monopoli, Chippenham, Hemel Hempstead, Malmo and now Bayern. It's 2046 and I don't even feel the save has started as I haven't managed Bristol City yet. I'm waiting for them to drop a league or two, then I'll come in and rescue them and take them to the Premier League.

Something I've done before when struggling to get into a save is to start unemployed, sim for somewhere between 9 and 18 months and then start looking for work. What I like about it is seeing where clubs have gone, what options are open, who is underachiving etc etc. I did this on FM18 and ended up in the Swedish lower tier and had a great journeyman save, on another one I gave myself a higher rep and got to take over Everton with 7 games to save them from relegation. 

Starting unemployed like above is a great way to do it, a bit like Loki's Journeyman series. 

I find what helps is the kits, badges, faces and stadium packs. It gives a real feel to the clubs beyond just names on a list and it helps me identify with the club I'm managing. 

In my York save what keeps me going is the overall picture. I'm not just aiming to win matches, I'm building a club from scratch, staff, facilities, stadium expansions, club legends and heroes, rivalries etc. If my manager is sacked I will retire and make a new one and continue at York, it's about the club rather than the results. I want to make a 1billion club out of the vanarama north one. 

I know everyone at the club, I brought in all the staff and players, it runs itself practically, but I appreciate this because it means everything that happens has character behind it that I relate to and can enjoy. Everything is building a story to be appreciate in the future. 

Journey man in leagues you don't know. You could make a focus around a geographic area. China is surprising, south america or north are interesting as well.

Otherwise, find a club with a background story you like, or with something that gives you motivation to keep going.

I found The Metropolitan Police FC this year, a club founded and only composed by police agents until recently. I did some research and found the background story cool. I'm starting my 24th season with them. To add difficulty, i play them while doing the youth academy challenge. This gives me a goal to reach.

I think the problem this year is that the game just simply isn’t enjoyable. All my years of playing and this is the first game since the inception of the game I’ve been unable to play. 

When you're a journeyman (or have multiple saves going) do you have saved formations/set pieces/scouting searches/etc... to enable you to get up and running managing and limit the administrative bits and bobs - which are all fun in their own right, but having to redo them every few seasons may be a fair bit of overhead?

After I started my Brighton save, I thought maybe I'd try one starting in the lower leagues or something to run alongside it, but then figured I really didn't have the time to do them both properly and enjoy them.

Thanks to everyone for contributing!

Ive got the plan of keeping Colo-Colo going (im closing in on the title in that save quite easily), at which point I will add in Argentina and Brazil, with the intention to end up in Europe, likely Spain, Italy or Portugal.

But for now, ive found what i think is a great European based save.

Ive loaded Iceland, Finland, Sweden, Denmark, Norway as the Scandanavian countries, and ive also loaded England and Scotland as the "really hope i end up there" leagues.

I loaded the leagues, and I am now the manager of Mjolner, of the Norwegian Postnord Division 2 (The Norwegian third division).

Weve made a good start, taking 9 points from 5 games which is pretty decent, but there are several aspects I already like about this save:

1) No preconceptions about how the team should play. Im not trying to redesign a top teams tactics and failing. Im just picking the players, in a logical system, and making adjustments. Nothing is clouding my judgement

2) The game seems streamlined. We are a semi pro team. 2 training sessions a week, and the sessions can be run as general sessions. Doesnt need to be any more complicated than that, for now. Attacking and Defending sessions, physical sessions and set pieces. No need, for now, to run complex keep the ball and transitional sessions.

3) Small League. LOVE THIS. 14 teams in the league, a condensed format with one cup, and a 26 game season. Around work and family, I could easily complete a season a week. Marvellous

4) Talent spotting. I am actually scouting properly. Im not just thinking he will do and spending the always plentiful reserves of cash. Instead I need to be more thorough and actually figure out who is the best signing. Look at the report card closely for strengths and weaknesses.

Im more optimistic about this save than many others ive started and been bored of at Christmas. Ive had a game so far thats finished 5-4 to me, where ive been 3-1 and 4-2 down. Its the stuff dreams are made of!

The one thing i dont want to tempt fate with however, is this game has a funny way of kicking you in the teeth. So lets just hope the inevitable brutal spell is manageable.

Good luck. Don't forget you'll get frustrated often, especially until you have a solid defensive setup but a good tactic and set pieces really make a difference and always be aware of your player's limitations and strengths.

Edited by afailed10

On 16/06/2020 at 10:49, Brother Ben said:

My advice is just to not play it for a week or so.  Then read a few of the career threads on here for inspiration.  

Sometimes you just have to take a step back

I did the same. Took a break for three weeks and then started a new career game unemployed, with loads of leagues uploaded. Got a job in Serie D and having a tough but very rewarding save.

I think boredom can set it when your saves are similar to your previous ones. Try something different, like being unemployed with a regional or lower repuation. Your first job may not sound particularly appealing, but you've been through the interview process and earned it. Crack on with your career and see where it takes you. 

On 15/06/2020 at 17:05, KyleHyde said:

And this is it. Don't take the game too seriously. Play how you want to but use the defeats as part of your save. It's a whole different game once you accept the game aims to screw your plans.

Im about to give this a go too!

I was finding the game going stale to, this sounds fun!

On 15/06/2020 at 14:35, KyleHyde said:

This sounds like a great career! You should write about it.

I was also going to suggest something similar. Journeyman save. Everytime you get bored just move clubs or leagues but don't start over. Keep moving up and looking for new challenges. 

After a slight rage quit from having a good season first time round with my team Norwich only for us to be taken over and get sacked anyway, I've actually been more into it starting lower down and trying to build my career as a manager in the virtual footballing world. I think its key not to worry too much about which country or division, take something left field and experiment 

A journeyman save is the best way that I get enjoyment out of the game. Starting off unemployed with no badges and working your way up.

In my current save I started off at Guilsfield in the Welsh 1st Division, now 7 seasons later I've worked my way up to Coventry in League 1 via Newtown and Telford including a sacking and a promotion. I find that way of playing more rewarding, not knowing where the game will take you next.