Sports Interactive Community
tomthered

Getting The Most Out Of My Strikers

I'm trying to make one or two changes to my 4-2-3-1 tactic on my Barcelona save, and would be really keen to get some advice.

Although I'm winning matches, I'm taking a lot of shots, often without scoring too many goals. In particular, my strikers are under-performing, and I was wondering whether there are any changes I could make to bring them into the game a bit more?

Here's my tactic, and 1st-choice side:

993336772_Screenshot(21).thumb.png.da4ae9b97a00d13221e9f34cf3f33d86.png

And to illustrate the problem, here are my top goalscorers:

Capture.thumb.PNG.04321243bf843106ba428d986d0e289b.PNG

My top goalscorer, Messi (no surprise there), is scoring at 0.79 goals per game. Ansu Fati is next, knocking in 0.61 goals per game. On the other hand, my two out-and-out strikers, Fábio Silva and Antoine Griezmann, are scoring at 0.3 and 0.28 goals per game, which is obviously pretty low for the front man on a team 15 points clear at the top of the league.

I get that when Messi and Mbappé are on your team they are going to score most of the goals, but I still think I'm getting a pretty low return from the lone striker. What can I do to put them in a better position to get on the score sheet?

Any tips very gatefully appreciated 🙏🏻

You should  think about balance in your team. 8 of 11 players are attacking and you have very aggressive team instructions. Nobody can support your forwards.

I recommend to read this topic: 

1 hour ago, tomthered said:

993336772_Screenshot(21).thumb.png.da4ae9b97a00d13221e9f34cf3f33d86.png

On one hand, your tactic - or more specifically the setup of roles and duties - looks extremely unbalanced, especially for a tricky top-heavy system such as 4231. Instructions are so-so, but definitely much better and more sensibly selected than roles and duties.

On the other hand, you are top of the table (according to the screenshot), which means that the tactic nevertheless works (probably thanks to the world-class quality of your players). 

In short, there is a degree of risk that if you change a tactic that obviously produces the result only to get more from a certain player (or two), it can damage the otherwise successful tactic. Therefore, I would advise you to think twice before making tactical changes. "Be careful what you wish for", as the saying goes ;)

lots of chances but poor ones ie no cc = fast short/direct  attacking and frenetic style

low chances but good ones = slow patient build up, work ball into box.

Find a balance

How, precisely, are your strikers failing? Sometimes adding a trait like "places shots" or "rounds the keeper" can work wonders for their game, though it depends largely on the tactics you employ. I notice you're playing a patient game at the lowest possible tempo. How does the attacking play typically unfold itself? Do all your attacking players get into the box and slowly look for other people to pass it to in there while they're all being marked and hard pressed? Your forward will invariably gain a lot of attention in such circumstances. I wouldn't be surprised if your IW's or even WB's were getting more shots on the goal than your forward. A trait like "tries first time shots" might be helpful, as would "places shots". If he gets the ball at an opportune moment, he can bang it into the corner in an instant. Those opportune moments may be hard to come by, however, and it usually takes a supporting player with good vision and passing to enable that kind of play. Target men can make excellent natural strikers in such scenarios, given a good height, jumping reach, and heading, though I might use a different instruction than "low crosses".

Otherwise, your efforts could be to find ways to screw with the defenders and get them out of place. I might train up an alternate tactic based on your original that employs a high tempo and shorter passing, as you can more frequently find defenders out of position if you're pinging the ball very fast throughout their third - particularly if they're urgently pressing and are lax on marking. While low tempos often yield better passes, higher tempos can open gaps in defense to exploit that more than makes up for that difference. You could also pair a False 9 and a Shadow Striker. A smart F9 can do very interesting things to open up space for himself and others, at least if they're high in intelligence and creativity. 4-2-3-1 patient lends itself to that kind of play. Personally, I find advanced forwards far more useful in direct play styles, as they can dodge defenders and do a decent job of beating them to the goal, but don't necessarily have the best bag of tools for other forms of play.

My advice would be to change the duties in your attacking midfield zone.

I actually play the 4231 in my saves and my striker is always the top scorer with my attacking midfield trio contributing a good share of goals and assists.

Just by changing Mbappe, Messi and Fati to Support duties you should see a marked improvement in the goals for Griezmann. 

Hope this helps.

On 13/06/2020 at 14:41, Urotsukidoji said:

lots of chances but poor ones ie no cc = fast short/direct  attacking and frenetic style

Not sure where you're getting this from, there are plenty of sides in real life who create big chances from vertical styles of play.

The best advice I can give you is that you need to think about space a lot. In order to create chances you need it, and if you park the bus except it's in the opponent's 18 yard box rather than yours, then you have no space to attack.

It's too aggressive and needs many more support duties and generally dialling back. Let the opposition have the ball sometimes, because when you are the better team that's how you create chances!