Advice for 4-1-2-3

Hello,

After some advice for my tactc. Playing a 4-1-2-3 with the intention to be dominant in possession and break teams down. I have used variations of this tactic but feel it needs improving. The screenshot is the current roles and instructions I am currently using. In attack, I want everyone to be amongst the goals, which is working to an affect but I am struggling to get the best of my wingers, especially the left winger (screenshot). Both of them have played around 30 games but scoring less than 5 goals each with little assists.

So, any advice on my tactic would be appreciated.

Inter Milan Tactic.png

Naci Unavar.png

Wouldn't an IF work better with an overlapping FB or WB? Aren't they going to be occupying the same space if it's an IW out there? Making it easier to defend the left flank as they both run to the corner flag? (Obviously exaggerating about the corner flag to make the point :-)

I've got an IF-SU with a WB-A on the left side of my 4123 and he's my leading goal scorer in the league. And does a FB-A need to be told to overlap left, they should be aggressive enough to do it on their own. And attack/attack on one flank and support/support on the other is literally unbalanced, which isn't a great thing either.

And apropos of nothing, that's a shedload of in possession instructions. That's a dog's breakfast surely, instead of a nice ratatouille or jambalaya ;-)

Edited by CaptCanuck

I have the exact same problem with Naci Unuvar.
Other players (less talented) seem to be perform better. His scouting report doesn't say anything abnormal, but I do wonder if his concentration and other hidden attributes play a part.

Not the best advice, but Man City came with £120M offer and I was happy to let him go.

Perhaps a better advice but try him as an inside forward or winger on attack (PPM cut inside would help if you try him as winger though he will naturally cut inside since he's right footed). Changing a working system because of one player may ruin the balance of your tactic.

My observations:

• Remove "hit early crosses." Lower tempo and aiming to be dominant in possession seems at odds with that instruction, and you don't have anyone in the box to aim at anyway.
  • If you are going to use an F9 then I think the IF should be on attack duty.
  • I might switch the FB(a) to an FB(s) and give the CAR a more adventurous role that doesn't play wider.

21 hours ago, CaptCanuck said:

Wouldn't an IF work better with an overlapping FB or WB? Aren't they going to be occupying the same space if it's an IW out there? Making it easier to defend the left flank as they both run to the corner flag? (Obviously exaggerating about the corner flag to make the point :-)

You are probably right about an IF working better. I have tried with an IF but havent had much success.

21 hours ago, CaptCanuck said:

I've got an IF-SU with a WB-A on the left side of my 4123 and he's my leading goal scorer in the league. And does a FB-A need to be told to overlap left, they should be aggressive enough to do it on their own. And attack/attack on one flank and support/support on the other is literally unbalanced, which isn't a great thing either.

You are probably right about overlap left not being necessary.

The reason why I have attack on the left side is to help with overlap. I wanted to slow build up on the right to eventually find a free man on the left with Naci being there. Although, I might have to reconsider this thought.

19 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

Why are you asking for advice when you are 1st in Serie A, which means that the tactic works for your team? Do not change a tactic that works, as long as it does. 

Any tactic can be improved :brock:. I am first but Juve, Napoli, Lazio and Roma have been poor this season so I wouldnt say being first means I should'nt try and make improvements.

My main concern for advice is to try and get better use from the wingers, not any major shifts with the tactical set-up.

33 minutes ago, Overmars said:

My observations:

• Remove "hit early crosses." Lower tempo and aiming to be dominant in possession seems at odds with that instruction, and you don't have anyone in the box to aim at anyway.
  • If you are going to use an F9 then I think the IF should be on attack duty.
  • I might switch the FB(a) to an FB(s) and give the CAR a more adventurous role that doesn't play wider.

I'd say for the majority of the season the wingers have both been on attack duty, but havent quite had the success.

Ill try your other suggestions, thank you.