Struggling to score?!

I'm doing pretty well with Man City but I havn't been able 2 get me strikers consistantly playing well & scoring, Usually getting ratings between 5 and 7, never really score much with my tactic

any1 able 2 give me any advice?

Me strikers are Robinho, Henri Saivet, Henok Goitom, Bafetimbi Gomis

mancitysquadel7.jpg

teamsettingsuz5.jpg

i've tryed everything I can think of, change in tactics?

cheers in advance

Im gonna say the dreaded "Its your tactics" but I think on this occasion its maybe true.

Personally I would lower your Mentality by about 3/4, Lower your tempo by about 2/3, and lower your width. Sometimes its just a case of tweaking them a little,

Set Gareth Bale to forward arrow, Play Anderson with a backward arrow, but with a Free Role, and set Flamini to hold up ball.

Im gonna say the dreaded "Its your tactics" but I think on this occasion its maybe true.

Personally I would lower your Mentality by about 3/4, Lower your tempo by about 2/3, and lower your width. Sometimes its just a case of tweaking them a little,

Set Gareth Bale to forward arrow, Play Anderson with a backward arrow, but with a Free Role, and set Flamini to hold up ball.

cheers mate al give it a go, see if it helps the strikers, the role where anderson plays usually gets a low rating aswell, i cant find a good formation the whole team can play with

i'm not happy at all with SI. i can't enjoy my time while playing fm09. the strikers miss unbelievable chances, the am are playing poorly, regardless of the opposition's value i'm the one that is defeated.?! what is there to do?! what's the point?! i can't find a tactic that works, not even the team talk can help me. :( i believe that from this point of view the fm is on the wrong way. :(((

ive got the same problem. defence is great but my strikers don't seem to know what a goal is. any suggestions for successful striking?

No matter what tactic I employ, and believe me I've tried a fair few , I just can't get my two striker playeing well or scoring regularly.

I've come to the conclusion there must be a bug.

Agreed. Been playing Championship Manager/Football Manager in all its forms for 12 years and this is by far the least enjoyable. Arsenal in my second season, went 12 games straight without scoring a single goal.

Even if my tactics a poorly set up, you should at least bag a couple of goals. I'm sure SI will argue that they've made it the most realisic yet. Meaning that a manager without a big reputation cant run a big club. Unfortunately, for the thousands of us that dont really fancy spending season upon season in the lower leagues, that game is pretty much a waste of time!

there's no bug, it's just the engine being really poor... sadly...

Okay, try to pay attention to your strikers rating during a game. It will slowly go down for no apparent reason and will only improve with a goal or assist. When it gets very low try and move him to a different position, in midfield and defence and see what happens to his rating. It will jump up! Surely a bug, because strikers don't seem to be judged on performance, they get rated very poor unless they score/assist, even if they are playing excellent.

I.e. right now I'm leading 3-0 against AEK at HT. Falcao have played well, but his rating is 6.3. So, I change him to play central defender and press confirm. Before I've even started the game again his rating is 7.1. I change him back to striker and after a couple of minutes his rating is 6.3, so I change to play central midfielder and now his rating jump to 7.0. I let him play there and he finishes with a rating of 7.2. He got no goals or assists. If he had played striker all game he would have gotten a very low rating.

Huntelaar scored 31 goals for me and assisted 11 goals during the season. His AVR was only 6.95, but still managed to get on team of the season.

Well as the topic title says I really am struggling to score myself, but glad to see that the AI hits its 10th goal from 40 (ok maybe only 35) yards out from a viciuous shot :D

Brilliant!

Ohh yeah do I even need to say these guys who score these screamers from nowhere have 13 or less for long shots? :D

Surely my world class strikers can't even hit the target from 16 yards out...

I like the realistic touch of this game :D:

I'm glad its not just me then, but looks like they've dropped the ball with this like

I beat Man Utd at Old Trafford 4-2 and then next game I played Crystal Palace with the exact same team and lost 1-0

the strikers played unreal against UTD but poor against palace

I feel the same , I am Crystal Palace and we winning alot in play offs but my strikers are on droughts where my defenders have scored most of the goals :S and they are from the floor aswell ..

Clint Hill scored from 30 yards out against portsmouth in the cup and got a rating of 6.6 where my strikers miss chances from 16 yards out and play horrible with no contribution and get a 7.1 rating ..

And i brought good strikers as well

Bizarre

Okay, try to pay attention to your strikers rating during a game. It will slowly go down for no apparent reason and will only improve with a goal or assist. When it gets very low try and move him to a different position, in midfield and defence and see what happens to his rating. It will jump up! Surely a bug, because strikers don't seem to be judged on performance, they get rated very poor unless they score/assist, even if they are playing excellent.

I.e. right now I'm leading 3-0 against AEK at HT. Falcao have played well, but his rating is 6.3. So, I change him to play central defender and press confirm. Before I've even started the game again his rating is 7.1. I change him back to striker and after a couple of minutes his rating is 6.3, so I change to play central midfielder and now his rating jump to 7.0. I let him play there and he finishes with a rating of 7.2. He got no goals or assists. If he had played striker all game he would have gotten a very low rating.

Huntelaar scored 31 goals for me and assisted 11 goals during the season. His AVR was only 6.95, but still managed to get on team of the season.

this has got to be bug in the game as i have just tried the same with putting a 5.3 Huntelaar in goal for the second half with his stats raising to 7,2 then back down to 5.3 after the switch

come on SI whats going on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Try the balanced tactic i created with united and let me know how you get on. Seems to me Robinho would love it.

Thread is 4-3-2-1 Mike Bassett!!

or download directly - ///continued...

formationoh4.th.jpgthpix.gif

Tactic link

http://www.mediafire.com/?yczabsmayxa

Its a fairly well balanced tactic i believe and it plays some good football. I never set it up to be defensive so the fact its solid at the back is a bonus.

Feel free to test it, rape it and either praise or slaughter me as appropriate.

i'm not happy at all with SI. i can't enjoy my time while playing fm09. the strikers miss unbelievable chances, the am are playing poorly, regardless of the opposition's value i'm the one that is defeated.?! what is there to do?! what's the point?! i can't find a tactic that works, not even the team talk can help me. :( i believe that from this point of view the fm is on the wrong way. :(((

Agreed! It's hard enough for experienced FM players to get anything to work, imagine those poor people just playing for the first time! It is ridiculous, too complicated and unrealistic. Even if I told my chelsea squad nothing and let themselves figure out positions i'm sur they would beat crystal palace by more than 2-1!...

Too complicated is never a problem for me, but this FM is just a joke

I have conceded more than one goal from 35 yard-away-screamers... of course the scorers had lower ratings for long shots than 13...

In one of these matches I also failed to score from 4 clear cut chances...

I'm Man United by the way, so not some second rate team

I couldnt agree more, the reason fm 2009 is a huge disappointment is i just cant create a fluid attacking style. on fm 2008, i enjoyed my barca save so much with a creative midfield, what bloody fun was that. now it is just plain boring watching them waste and dwell so many chances.

This problem should be sorted on the next patch! The strikers' match ratings should be tweaked as well, the strikers should score more goals, the long shot scoring ratio should be cut as well. I noticed very few goals from direct free kicks, so I think this should be resolved also in the patch.

I saved my game before one match and tried different tactics playing the same match over and over again and I didn't score more than 2 goals with my team. Most of the games would finish 0-0, or 1-0 for me because I was playing at home. And I was Arsenal, with a fantastic team.

I think this is the boring part of this game. It's like playing the same game over and over again and you feel that your tactics don't have no effect on the final results.

Try posting it on the bugs forum, maybe it will help.....

This is becourse strikers are supposed to score goal ..and if they dont - they get a poor rating.

Yes I also think this is wrong.

Well, I really thought my striker problem was just me being a useless manager! after reading this I'm finally convinced to put this game in the bottom drawer. i notice in some of the forums people keep saying to bear with SI, 'it's a bug but they are working on it, give the poor guys a break' etc etc. uhm, no! This is a badly designed, unresponsive and unrealistic game to be frank. Ciao FM and SI.

There seem to be 2 issues here.

Strikers get low ratings unless they score or assist. While their main job is to score or assist, they can still perform well in a game without doing either. Okay, they shouldn't neccesarily get 7.5 - 8.0 if they don't score/assist, but 5.5 suggests a poor performance, which isn't always the case.

As for lack of goals, tell me about it. SI have made FM'09 a real challenge, and I guess that's good, but at mom it seems near impossible to get a tactic that works. I don't want to win every game 5-0 as that would get boring, but I'd like to win more than I am.

To me it feels that My Team and the AI scores in totally different ways.

- The AI can score if their players make a good effort and it feels like it has nothing to do with my tactic

- I never score, it´s the AI that conceeds, meaning that if the AI makes the wrong choice of tactic against me or if their players make idiotic misstakes, then I can score but never, ever from my players playing well in a well balanced tactic. My players can beat their man and normally produce up to 6 or 7 CCC in every match, but as long as the AI has a well balanced - but obviously not working - tactic and their players make a average+ match, I cant score to save my life.

To me it feels that My Team and the AI scores in totally different ways.

- The AI can score if their players make a good effort and it feels like it has nothing to do with my tactic

- I never score, it´s the AI that conceeds, meaning that if the AI makes the wrong choice of tactic against me or if their players make idiotic misstakes, then I can score but never, ever from my players playing well in a well balanced tactic. My players can beat their man and normally produce up to 6 or 7 CCC in every match, but as long as the AI has a well balanced - but obviously not working - tactic and their players make a average+ match, I cant score to save my life.

Same here.. It's because of weird errors I score most of my goals.. Like dodgy backpasses or defenders not reacting to a goal kick and my striker wandering straight through.. I never really seem to create a chance myself, and consistency is a real problem too..

Archived