How long does it take to train a player trait??

I signed a couple of young strikers at the start of this save, and immediately told them to develop the 'shoots with power' trait. 18 months later they still don't appear to have learnt it. Meanwhile a centre back who's development I've left to the staff has learned and unlearned about 3 different traits in that time. So yeah, how long should it take??

This is on FM Touch by the way. There's not a glitch that they just never learn this trait is there??

22 minutes ago, who_is_it said:

I mean maybe the coaches you have in your youth team aren't enough good to make them learning faster new traits

I don't have coaches, this is FM Touch. All I can do is change the assistant manager or the head of youth development, but I don't know how that affects coaching.

Edited by Orikoru

Lots of different factors affect whether a player will be able to learn a Trait and how long it may take them to learn it.  There is no fixed time.

A player's Versatility (a hidden attribute) along with other relevant attributes will be factors.  Their age may also have an impact ("you can't teach old dogs new tricks"), as can their favoured position.

Appropriate coaching attributes for the coaches you ask to learn the Trait can be important too - don't ask an Attacking coach to train defensive Traits for example (although not relevant for your issues).

As your players are still trying after 18 months they'll probably never learn the Trait now.  Best guess - their Versatility attribute is way too low, perhaps coupled with low Ambition, Determination and/or other relevant attributes related to "shoots with power".  Did your coaches think the Trait would be a good idea?  If they said yes, sack them.  If they said no, they probably knew what they were talking about.

56 minutes ago, herne79 said:

Lots of different factors affect whether a player will be able to learn a Trait and how long it may take them to learn it.  There is no fixed time.

A player's Versatility (a hidden attribute) along with other relevant attributes will be factors.  Their age may also have an impact ("you can't teach old dogs new tricks"), as can their favoured position.

Appropriate coaching attributes for the coaches you ask to learn the Trait can be important too - don't ask an Attacking coach to train defensive Traits for example (although not relevant for your issues).

As your players are still trying after 18 months they'll probably never learn the Trait now.  Best guess - their Versatility attribute is way too low, perhaps coupled with low Ambition, Determination and/or other relevant attributes related to "shoots with power".  Did your coaches think the Trait would be a good idea?  If they said yes, sack them.  If they said no, they probably knew what they were talking about.

As mentioned above, I don't have visible coaches, as it's FM Touch. The strikers are Raspadori and Vlahovic, both young players with good potential (supposedly). No staff member advised me to do it, I just like my strikers to have it as I hate that pathetic tap to the goalie they do otherwise. Schick managed to learn the trait and he bangs in goals now. 

I feel like there has to be something wrong here and they should be able to learn it.

23 minutes ago, Seb Wassell said:

It basically depends on how suited they are to learning it. With some healthy variation in there too.

Is it possible as someone said above that they never ever learn it??

• SI Staff
4 minutes ago, Orikoru said:

Is it possible as someone said above that they never ever learn it??

As in remain in the "learning" phase forever? No. Players can fail to learn a trait (repeatedly) but the training should always end one way or another.

1 minute ago, Seb Wassell said:

As in remain in the "learning" phase forever? No. Players can fail to learn a trait (repeatedly) but the training should always end one way or another.

So, I would get a news item saying Raspadori has failed to learn how to shoot with power? And as in my current situation, where he's been trying for about 21 months now, that's normal??

Edited by Orikoru

• SI Staff
On 08/06/2020 at 00:10, Orikoru said:

So, I would get a news item saying Raspadori has failed to learn how to shoot with power? And as in my current situation, where he's been trying for about 21 months now, that's normal??

You would. That sounds like a bug to me, could you post about it here please - https://community.sigames.com/forum/726-football-manager-2020-bugs-forum/

On 09/06/2020 at 14:50, Seb Wassell said:

You would. That sounds like a bug to me, could you post about it here please - https://community.sigames.com/forum/726-football-manager-2020-bugs-forum/

I can report that after just about two years, Raspadori can now Shoot With Power. Vlahovic still can't, but then he hasn't been very good generally, so dunno.

Edited by Orikoru