Which part of the UK produces the best footballers ? (Experiment)

I posted this experiment over on reddit over the space of a few weeks but thought I'd post it here in full before I simulate the experiment, It's a long read but hopefully an interesting one!

Hopefully, this experiment will provide the answer to the following questions:

What if the Premier League was split into 20 teams representing UK regions of equal population?

Which region in the United Kingdom produces the best footballers?

Where do the real footballing hotbeds lie in the UK?

Essentially, I’ve split up the UK into 20 equal(ish) geographical regions, with the idea being that each region has a team made up of players born in that region. I’ve used this website which shows the population of each county, I then calculated that each team should be made up of players from a region of 3.26m people (65.171m/20). Teams are filled up with whole counties, except for Greater London which has been split up into 3 regions due to having around 9m people in total. Note:  Due to the diversity of the county populations and the challenges of geographically dividing the UK, some teams have slightly more/less than the aforementioned 3.26m people.

Split of Counties into Teams

Team

Population

Counties

South-West

Cornwall, Devon, Dorset, Somerset

South-East

East Sussex, Kent, West Sussex

South Coast

Hampshire, Isle of Wight, Surrey,

London 1

London Boroughs: Westminster, Kensington and Chelsea, Hammersmith and Fulham, Wandsworth, Islington, Camden, Brent, Ealing, Hounslow, Richmond upon Thames, Kingston upon Thames, Merton, Sutton, Croydon

London 2

London Boroughs: City of London, Lambeth, Southwark, Tower Hamlets, Hackney, Bromley, Lewisham, Greenwich, Bexley, Havering, Barking and Dagenham, Newham

London 3 & Herts

Hertfordshire and London Boroughs: Redbridge, Waltham Forest, Haringey, Enfield, Barnet, Harrow, Hillingdon

South-West Midlands

Berkshire, Bristol, Gloucestershire, Oxfordshire, Wiltshire

South-East Midlands

Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Cambridgeshire, Northamptonshire

East Anglia

Essex, Norfolk, Suffolk

Wales & Hereford

Wales, Herefordshire,

West Midlands

West Midlands, Warwickshire

East Midlands

Leicestershire, Lincolnshire,  Nottinghamshire, Rutland

South Yorkshire & Humber

Derbyshire, East Riding of Yorkshire, South Yorkshire,

Greater Manchester

Greater Manchester

North-West

Cumbria, Lanchashire, Mersyside

North & West Yorks

North Yorkshire, West Yorkshire

North-East & Borders

County Durham, Northumberland, Tyne and Wear, East Midlothian, Edinburgh City, Midlothian, Scottish Borders.

N.I & SW Scotland

Northern Ireland, Isle of Man, Dumfries and Galloway, East Ayrshire, East Renfrewshire, Inverclyde, North Ayrshire, Renfrewshire, South Ayrshire, South Lanarkshire

North Scotland

Aberdeen city, Aberdeenshire, Angus, Argyll and Bute, Clackmannanshire,  Dundee City, East Dumbartonshire, Falkirk, Fife, Glasgow City, Highlands, North Lanarkshire, Orkney Islands, Perth and Kinross, Shetland Islands, Stirling, West Dumbartonshire, West Lothian.

West England

Cheshire, Shropshire, Staffordshire, Worcestershire

Here we have it, the 20 regions have been split up. Team 14 (Greater Manchester) have the smallest population but hopefully the produce of the academies of Premier League giants Man Utd and Man City will come to the fore. Team 6 has the largest population, but it remains to be seen whether this will translate into footballing ability just yet. I have also made some maps using my below-average paint skills to help visualise the split geographically.

England Map

Scotland Map

London Boroughs Map

I picked each team using a database of players from Football Manager 2020. I extracted a list of players into excel and began manually allocating each player to a team based on their city of birth (according to FM). Ultimately, I ended up on a squad of 25 players for each team and have tried my best to allocate an even positional spread throughout each squad so that the AI managers aren’t forced to play any ridiculously attacking/defensive formations. Squads have been loosely picked around current ability, reputation and transfer value.

Each team will be managed by a manager born from the region they are managing. I’ve allocated the manager with the highest reputation in each region according to FM to each team. This will add an extra element to the experiment and will be to interesting to see how much of an influence some of the better managers will have on their respective teams.

Without further ado, I will reveal the teams one by one below in numerical order (I would also like some suggestions on team names for each region, as I am aware they’re not very creative!)

Team 1 – South-West - Cornwall, Devon, Dorset, Somerset – Population: 3,450,896.00

Media Prediction: 16th - Title Odds: 350-1

Manager – Darren Way (Plymouth, Plymouth U18)

Name

Position

Birth City

Club

Nat

Christian Walton

GK

Truro

Blackburn

ENG

Jack Butland

GK

Clevedon

Stoke

ENG

Max O’Leary

GK

Bath

Bristol City

ENG

Ben White

D (C)

Poole

Leeds Utd

ENG

Ethan Ampadu

D (C), DM

Exeter

RB Leipzig

WAL

George Friend

D (LC), WB (L)

Barnstaple

Middlesbrough

ENG

Jack Simpson

D (C)

Weymouth

Bournemouth

ENG

Jack Stephens

D (C), DM

Plymouth

Southampton

ENG

Jordan Storey

D (C)

Yeovil

Preston

ENG

Sean Morrison

D (C)

Plymouth

Cardiff

ENG

Tyrone Mings

D (LC)

Bath

Aston Villa

ENG

Martin Cranie

D (RC)

Yeovil

Luton Town

ENG

Dan Gosling

M (C)

Torquay

Bournemouth

ENG

Josh Sims

M (L), AM (LC)

Yeovil

New York Red Bulls

ENG

Matt Grimes

DM, M (C)

Exeter

Swansea

ENG

Scott Sinclair

M/AM (L)

Bath

Preston

ENG

Xavier Amaechi

M/AM (RL)

Bath

Hamburger SV

ENG

Nicky Law

M (LC)

Plymouth

Exeter City

ENG

Dominic Gape

DM, M (C )

Weymouth

Wycombe Wanderers

ENG

Ryan Leonard

M (C)

Plymouth

Millwall

ENG

Ashley Barnes

AM (L), ST (C)

Bath

Burnley

ENG

Isaac Vassell

AM (RL), ST (C)

Truro

Cardiff

ENG

Kieffer Moore

ST (C)

Torquay

Wigan

WAL

Ollie Watkins

AM (RLC), ST (C)

Newton Abbot

Brentford

ENG

Sam Gallagher

AM (R), ST (C)

Exeter

Blackburn

ENG

Likely Starting XI

A region famous for Pasties, Cheese and Cider, the South West has brought to the nation many good things but unfortunately footballers (and managers) don’t seem to follow that trend. I had to search long and hard to find a manager that was born in this region. I eventually found Darren Way, who according to FM is the current Plymouth Argyle U18 Manager who recently had a spell in charge of League Two side Yeovil Town. Predicted to be in the bottom five come the end of the season, this squad seems like it will need a manager with a bit more experience to do anything of note.

The squad lacks all round quality, especially fullbacks, let’s hope Darren Way is impartial to a 3 at the back system. Stand out players include Leeds United defender Ben White who has had a great season in the championship this year, Tyrone Mings, who has recently won his first England caps and Austrian U20 capped Burnley striker Ashley Barnes who looks like the best attacking option in the side.

Amongst the rest of the team, Scott Sinclair will occupy the flanks and will be hoping to re-ignite the success he had at Swansea back in the 2011/12 season. Jack Butland will be competing for the number one shirt, who along with Tyrone Mings, shares the squads total England caps (10) between them. The team also some exciting young talent in Ethan Ampadu and Xavier Amaechi, who are both currently learning their trade in the Bundesliga.

I am not hopeful for this team, considering the lack of top players and with the inexperienced Darren Way in charge but I’m hoping he can prove me wrong!

Team 2 – South-East - East Sussex, West Sussex, Kent – Population: 3,495,475

Media Prediction: 20th - Title Odds: 600-1

Manager: Lee Johnson (Newmarket, Bristol City)

Name

Position

Birth City

Club

Nat

Sam Walker

GK

Gravesend

Reading

ENG

Joe Day

GK

Brighton

Cardiff City

ENG

Paul Jones

GK

Maidstone

Sheffield Wednesday

ENG

Lewis Dunk

D (C)

Brighton

Brighton

ENG

Steve Cook

D (RC)

Hastings

Bournemouth

ENG

Adam Webster

D (C)

Chichester

Brighton

ENG

Joel Ward

D (RL)

Chichester

Crystal Palace

ENG

Grant Hall

D (C)

Brighton

QPR

ENG

Tommy Elphick

D (C)

Brighton

Huddersfield

ENG

Chris Solly

D ( R)

Chatham

Charlton

ENG

George Cox

D/WB (L)

Worthing

Brighton

ENG

Sam McCallum

D/WB (L)

Canterbury

Norwich City

ENG

Solly March

M (RL), AM (RLC)

Eastbourne

Brighton

ENG

Luke Freeman

M/AM (RLC)

Dartford

Sheffield United

ENG

Harrison Reed

DM, M (RC)

Worthing

Fulham

ENG

Jonny Williams

M/AM (LC)

Tunbridge Wells

Charlton

WAL

Gareth Barry

DM, M (C)

Hastings

West Brom

ENG

George Boyd

DM, M (RLC), AM ( C)

Chatham

Peterborough

ENG

Robbie Burton

M/AM (C )

Gravesend

Dinamo Zagreb

WAL

George Thorne

DM, M (C)

Chatham

Oxford United

ENG

Conor Chaplin

AM (RLC), ST (C )

Worthing

Barnsley

ENG

James Norwood

ST (C )

Eastbourne

Ipswich

ENG

Conor Washington

AM (RL), ST (C )

Chatham

Hearts

NIR

Matt Godden

ST (C )

Canterbury

Coventry

ENG

John Akinde

ST (C )

Gravesend

Gillingham

ENG

Likely Starting XI

Up next, we have the combined counties of Sussex and Kent, the South East of England. Taking the reigns is Lee Johnson, current Bristol City manager, who has done well in recent years in the championship. However, in terms of ability it doesn’t get much worse. The media have predicted them to be rock bottom at the end of the season and have offered odds of 600-1 for a title win for Lee Johnson’s men.

The squad does boast the experience of Gareth Barry, who is the record all-time premier league appearance maker (653) and has also been capped 53 times by his country will be a frontrunner for captain duties. Sunderland ‘til I die fan favourite Jonny Williams makes an appearance in midfield along with Solly March who looks to be the most promising player in the final third.

The goalkeeper spot looks to be an issue with not one of the three goalkeepers being the first-choice keeper in their respective championship club sides. However, the Brighton duo of Lewis Dunk and Adam Webster look to be a solid partnership at the back and will be hoping to limit the amount of shots at goal.

With weaknesses in Goal and up front the media’s prediction is probably warranted, Lack of goals looks to be a big worry with none of the forwards seeming to have top-level experience. I would be impressed with Lee Johnson if he could lead the South-East to safety with the resources at his disposal.

Team 3 – South Coast - Hampshire, Isle of Wight, Surrey – Population: 3,135,638

Media Prediction: 8th - Title Odds: 30-1

Manager: Neal Ardley (Epsom, Notts County)

Name

Position

Birth City

Club

Nat

Alex McCarthy

GK

Guildford

Southampton

ENG

Neil Etheridge

GK

Fleet

Cardiff

PHI

Simon Moore

GK

Isle of Wight

Sheffield United

ENG

Calum Chambers

D (RC), DM

Portsmouth

Arsenal

ENG

Matthew Targett

D/WB/M (L)

Eastleigh

Aston Villa

ENG

Jack Whatmough

D (C)

Gosport

Portsmouth

ENG

Lee Brown

D/WB (L)

Farnborough

Portsmouth

ENG

Jason McCarthy

D (RC)

Southampton

Millwall

ENG

Ethan Laird

D/WB (RL)

Basingstoke

Man United

ENG

Jack Hobbs

D (C)

Portsmouth

Bolton Wanderers

ENG

Joe Partington

D (RC)

Portsmouth

Eastleigh

WAL

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain

M (RC), AM (RLC)

Portsmouth

Liverpool

ENG

Mason Mount

M (C), AM (LC)

Portsmouth

Chelsea

ENG

James Ward-Prowse

DM, M (C)

Portsmouth

Southampton

ENG

Will Hughes

DM, M/AM (RC)

Weybridge

Watford

ENG

Tom Cleverley

M/AM (C)

Basingstoke

Watford

ENG

Matt Ritchie

D/WB (L), M/AM (RL)

Gosport

Newcastle

SCO

Joe Ralls

M (LC)

Aldershot

Cardiff

ENG

Conor Gallagher

DM, M (C)

Epsom

Swansea

ENG

Marlon Pack

DM, M (C)

Portsmouth

Cardiff

ENG

John Swift

M/AM (C)

Portsmouth

Reading

ENG

Danny Ings

ST (C)

Winchester

Southampton

ENG

Lyle Taylor

AM (R), ST (C)

Staines-upon-Thames

Charlton

MSR

Lukas Jutkiewicz

ST (C)

Southampton

Birmingham

ENG

Sam Vokes

ST (C)

New Milton

Stoke

WAL

Likely Starting 11

South Coast is managed by former Wimbledon and Watford winger Neal Ardley, current manager of National League side Notts County. Another manager who lacks top level experience will be hoping to make his mark at a higher level.

This team has a bit of quality compared to the previous two and has plenty of premier league experience with a total of 10 players capped by their country. England Internationals Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Mason Mount have genuine quality in the midfield and will be hoping to create the supply for Danny Ings to grab plenty of goals. However, In defence, Calum Chambers is the stand out player out of an average bunch.

Neil Etheridge, who qualifies for the Philippines by virtue of his Filipino mother will compete with Southampton number one, Alex McCarthy for the starting keeper spot.

Described as a ‘fairly determined’ squad, South Coast have a lot of industry in the team with players like Matt Ritchie, James Ward-Prowse and Tom Cleverley and will be hoping that this translates on to the pitch with some good performances.

The overall verdict in this squad is that they have enough ability and experience to finish the top half and could even push top four in my opinion.

Team 4 – London 1 - London Boroughs: Westminster, Kensington and Chelsea, Hammersmith and Fulham, Wandsworth, Islington, Camden, Brent, Ealing, Hounslow, Richmond upon Thames, Kingston upon Thames, Merton, Sutton, Croydon – Population: 3,369,408

Media Prediction: 6th - Title Odds: 9-1

Manager: Roy Hodgson (Croydon, Crystal Palace)

Name

Position

Birth City

Club

Nat

Jamal Blackman

GK

Croydon

Bristol Rovers

ENG

Freddie Woodman

GK

London

Swansea

ENG

James Shea

GK

London

Luton Town

ENG

Aaron Wan-Bissaka

D/WB (R)

Croydon

Man Utd

ENG

Luke Shaw

D/WB (L)

Kingston upon Thames

Man Utd

ENG

Ryan Sessegnon

D/WB/M/AM (L)

London

Tottenham

ENG

Max Aarons

D/WB (R)

London

Norwich

ENG

Ryan Fredericks

D/WB/M/AM (R)

London

West Ham

ENG

Chris Mepham

D (C)

London

Bournemouth

WAL

Jake Clarke-Salter

D (C)

Carshalton

Birmingham

ENG

Steven Caulker

D (C)

Feltham

Alanyaspor

ENG

Michael Mancienne

D (C), DM

Isleworth

New England Revolution

ENG

Callum Hudson-Odoi

AM (RLC)

London

Chelsea

ENG

Jack Cork

DM, M (C)

Carshalton

Burnley

ENG

Declan Rice

D (C), DM, M (C)

London

West Ham

ENG

Michail Antonio

M/AM (R)

London

West Ham

ENG

Bukayo Saka

AM (RL)

London

Arsenal

ENG

Emile Smith Rowe

M (RL), AM (RLC)

London

Huddersfield

ENG

Steven Alzate

M/AM (C)

London

Brighton

COL

Josh Murphy

AM (RL)

London

Cardiff

ENG

Patrick Roberts

AM (RLC)

Kingston upon Thames

Middlesbrough

ENG

Ademola Lookman

M/AM (RL), ST (C)

London

RB Leipzig

ENG

Lewis Grabban

ST (C)

Croydon

Nottm Forest

ENG

Sone Aluko

AM (RLC), ST (C)

Hounslow

Reading

NGA

Hal Robson-Kanu

AM (RLC), ST (C)

London

West Brom

WAL

Likely Starting XI

The first of the three London teams, which spans most of south and west London is managed by Crystal Palace’s Roy Hodgson. Roy has been a football manager since 1976 and has a wealth of experience to draw upon, including a four-year spell as manager of his country. Despite being at the ripe old age of 72, Roy isn’t the oldest manager in the league..

The squad, tipped by the media to finish 6th, is an exciting young squad with plenty of players tipped to be a big part of England’s future.

Premier League loanees Freddie Woodman and Jamal Blackman (who is currently playing at Bristol Rovers on his 7th successive year out on loan from Chelsea) will compete for the starting keeping berth.

Man Utd fullbacks Luke Shaw and Aaron Wan-Bissaka will almost certainly occupy their respective positions and will hope to offer an attacking outlet bombing on from their full back positions. One of England’s one cap wonder’s Steven Caulker, who currently plays for Turkish outfit Alanyaspor also makes an appearance in defence.

In midfield, Declan Rice and Callum Hudson Odoi, both recently capped by England are the strengths which the team will rely on whilst fellow youngsters Ademola Lookman and Steven Alzate who has twice been capped for Colombia will also be looking to make an impact.

In Attack, Euro 2016 hero Thomas Henry Alex (Hal) Robson-Kanu, Sone Aluko and Lewis Grabban will all fancy themselves to start.

The youthful squad will bring a lot of pace and energy to the league and Roy Hodgson will be hoping for a top six finish at minimum. I think the squad has enough depth and quality to potentially go all the way.

Team 5 – London 2 - London Boroughs: City of London, Lambeth, Southwark, Tower Hamlets, Hackney, Bromley, Lewisham, Greenwich, Bexley, Havering, Barking and Dagenham, Newham– Population: 3,009,408

Media Prediction: 1st- Title Odds: 4-1

Manager: Chris Hughton (Forest Gate, Unemployed)

Name

Position

Birth City

Club

Nat

Marcus Bettinelli

GK

London

Fulham

ENG

Rob Elliot

GK

London

Newcastle

IRL

Mark Howard

GK

London

Blackpool

ENG

Joe Gomez

D (RLC)

London

Liverpool

ENG

Chris Smalling

D (C)

London

Roma

ENG

Ryan Bertrand

D/WB (L)

London

Southampton

ENG

Michael Hector

D (C), DM

London

Fulham

JAM

Ola Aina

D/WB/M (RL)

London

Torino

NGA

Kortney Hause

D (LC)

Dagenham

Aston Villa

ENG

Semi Ajayi

D (C), DM

Crayford

West Brom

NGA

Kieran Gibbs

D/WB (L)

London

West Brom

ENG

Nathaniel Clyne

D/WB ( R)

London

Liverpool

ENG

Jadon Sancho

M/AM (RL)

London

Borussia Dortmund

ENG

Ruben Loftus-Cheek

M/AM (C)

London

Chelsea

ENG

Reiss Nelson

M (RL), AM (RLC)

London

Arsenal

ENG

Jonjo Shelvey

DM, M (C)

Romford

Newcastle

ENG

Bradley Dack

AM (C), ST (C)

London

Blackburn

ENG

Junior Stanislas

M/AM (RL)

Kidbrooke

Bournemouth

ENG

Jordon Ibe

M (R), AM (RL)

London

Bournemouth

ENG

Mark Noble

DM, M(C)

London

West Ham

ENG

Harry Arter

M (C)

Sidcup

Fulham

IRL

Ebere Eze

M (C), AM (RLC)

London

QPR

ENG

Tammy Abraham

ST (C)

London

Chelsea

ENG

Karlan Grant

AM (L), ST (C)

London

Huddersfield

ENG

Eddie Nketiah

AM (RL), ST (C)

London

Arsenal

ENG

Likely Starting XI

The Media’s favourites, made up of London Boroughs including and east of City of London is the 2nd smallest in terms of catchment area but certainly doesn’t lack quality. Ex-Brighton manager Chris Hughton is in the dugout and has a strong team which looks to have Premier League level quality all round apart from maybe in the goalkeeper position in which Fulham’s Marcus Bettinelli appears to be the likely candidate to start.

An all premier league back four consisting of Nathaniel Clyne, Joe Gomez, Chris Smalling and Ryan Bertrand, share 74 England caps between them look to be solid partnership and will be hoping to keep as many clean sheets as possible in order to be in with a chance in the title race.

Key man, Jadon Sancho, one of, if not the most exciting player in the league, will be hoping to chip in with as many goals and assists as possible from wherever Chris Hughton deploys him. Jadon has 14 goals and 15 assists in 21 starts this year in the Bundesliga and should be uncontrollable for some of the defences he will be up against. Talented Ruben Loftus-Cheek will be hoping to remain injury free throughout the season and make a good partnership with Jonjo Shelvey who will be looking to dictate play in the middle of the park.

Bradley Dack, who according to FM is likely to play off Chelsea’s Tammy Abraham will be looking to provide enough chances for Tammy who should have enough with the level of creative quality surrounding him.

Overall, A very strong team who will be hoping to keep Jadon Sancho injury free all season. Probably rightly favourites for the title, however, will face tough opposition from some of the teams yet to come…

Team 6 – London 3 & Herts - Hertfordshire and London Boroughs: Redbridge, Waltham Forest, Haringey, Enfield, Barnet, Harrow, – Population: 3,450,896

Media Prediction: 4th - Title Odds: 7-1

Manager – Gareth Southgate (Watford, England)

Name

Position

Birth City

Club

Nat

David Button

GK

Stevenage

Brighton

ENG

Jordan Archer

GK

Walthamstow

Fulham

SCO

Jonathan Bond

GK

Hemel Hempstead

West Brom

ENG

Ainsley Maitland-Niles

D/WB (RL), DM, M (C)

Ilford

Arsenal

ENG

Reece James

D/WB (R), M (C)

London

Chelsea

ENG

Kyle Walker-Peters

D (RL), WB (R)

London

Southampton

ENG

Adam Smith

D (R)

Leyton

Bournemouth

ENG

Ciaran Clark

D (C)

Harrow

Newcastle

IRL

Alfie Mawson

D (C)

Hillingdon

Fulham

ENG

Adrian Mariappa

D (RC)

Harrow

Watford

JAM

Japhet Tanganga

D (RC)

London

Tottenham

ENG

Ashley Young

D/WB (RL)

Stevenage

Inter

ENG

Harry Winks

DM, M (C)

Hemel Hempstead

Tottenham

ENG

Adam Lallana

DM, M/AM (RLC)

St. Albans

Liverpool

ENG

Andros Townsend

M (R), AM (RL)

Leyton

Crystal Palace

ENG

Jack Wilshere

M (C), AM (RLC)

Stevenage

West Ham

ENG

Joe Willock

M (C)

Walthamstow

Arsenal

ENG

Sheyi Ojo

M (L), AM (RLC)

Hemel Hempstead

Rangers

ENG

Angel Gomes

AM (RLC)

London

Man Utd

ENG

Jake Livermore

D (C), DM, M (C)

Enfield

West Brom

ENG

Harry Kane

AM (C), ST (C)

London

Tottenham

ENG

Dwight Gayle

ST (C)

Walthamstow

Newcastle

ENG

Cauley Woodrow

AM (C), ST (C)

Hemel Hempstead

Barnsley

ENG

Benik Afobe

ST (C)

Leyton

Bristol City

COD

Jamal Lowe

AM (RLC), ST (C)

Harrow

Wigan

ENG

Likely Starting XI

England’s hero of the summer of 2018, Gareth Southgate, takes charge of this side. Reaching the semis at the 2018 World cup is Gareth’s best achievement to date which arguably could have been seen as underachievement with the Fixtures and Squad England had. One of the more experienced managers in the league, Gareth will be familiar to plenty of the England boys in the Squad. Tipped to finish in the top 4, Southgate will be hoping to have a crack at his first trophy in (hypothetical) management.

Spearheading the attack is Spurs’ Harry Kane, who is the highest rated player in the competition based on FM current ability. Kane will be a major threat to any defence he faces and is likely to be favourite for the golden boot. Behind Kane, the duo of Adam Lallana and Andros Townsend will offer some threat and creativity and will be hoping to feed Kane with an endless supply of chances.

Jack Wilshere, who is probably best known for being the most injury prone player in the league will be hoping to stay fit throughout and make an impact whilst talented young midfielder Harry Winks will sit in front of the back four and dictate the tempo.

In defence, there is a mix of youth and experience. Young defenders Reece James and Kyle Walker-Peters are joined by 39-time England capped Ashley Young who is currently playing his trade in Milan. Two from Mariappa, Mawson and Clark will occupy the central defender position assuming Southgate plays with a back four.

Yet again for another team, the Goalkeeper position is a worry. David Button who is currently second choice for Brighton will likely start although it could be a toss-up between any of the three below-average stoppers.

I have high hopes for this team, if Kane remains injury-free they will surely be in and around the title race.

Team 7 – South-West Midlands - Berkshire, Bristol, Gloucestershire, Oxfordshire, Wiltshire – Population: 3,661,711

Media Prediction: 18th - Title Odds: 500-1

Manager – Brian McDermott (Slough, Unemployed)

Name

Position

Birth City

Club

Nat

Luke Southwood

GK

Oxford

Reading

ENG

Jojo Wollacott

GK

Bristol

Bristol City

ENG

George Legg

GK

Reading

-

ENG

Jack Stacey

D/WB (R)

Ascot

Bournemouth

ENG

Joe Bryan

D (L)

Bristol

Fulham

ENG

Lloyd Kelly

D (LC)

Bristol

Bournemouth

ENG

Matty Cash

D/WB/M/AM (R)

Slough

Nottm Forest

ENG

Jake Cooper

D (C)

Ascot

Millwall

ENG

Jayden Bogle

D/WB (R)

Reading

Derby County

ENG

Sam Hutchinson

D (C), DM, M (C)

Slough

Sheffield Wednesday

ENG

Darnell Fisher

D/WB (R)

Reading

Preston

ENG

Alex Pearce

D (C)

Oxford

Millwall

IRL

Eric Dier

D (C), DM, M (C)

Cheltenham

Tottenham

ENG

Jed Wallace

M (R), AM (RC)

Reading

Millwall

ENG

Andy King

DM, M/AM (C)

Maidenhead

Huddersfield

WAL

Louis Thompson

D (C), DM, M (C)

Swindon

MK Dons

WAL

Herbie Kane

DM, M (C)

Bristol

Hull City

ENG

Callum O'Dowda

M/AM (RL)

Oxford

Bristol City

IRL

Josh McEachran

DM, M (C)

Oxford

Birmingham

ENG

Billy Bodin

AM (RLC)

Swindon

Preston

WAL

Theo Walcott

AM (R), ST (C)

Newbury

Everton

ENG

Dominic Solanke

ST (C)

Reading

Bournemouth

ENG

Bobby Decordova-Reid

AM (C), ST (C)

Bristol

Fulham

JAM

Charlie Austin

ST (C)

Hungerford

West Brom

ENG

Tyler Roberts

AM (RLC), ST (C)

Gloucester

Leeds Utd

WAL

Likely Starting XI

The largest team by population out of the 20, South-West Midlands was the only way I could describe this group of counties (very uncreative, I know). Despite having the biggest catchment area of all the clubs, this doesn’t seem to translate to having the biggest impact on the pitch. Out of the 25 players, only 5 are currently playing in the top flight. Brian McDermott has been given the job of managing this team in the experiment, who has surprisingly been out of a job since May 2016 when he had his second stint as Reading manager which lasted only 6 months before he was sacked.

With 87 England caps between them Theo Walcott and Eric Dier will look to provide leadership in a team which lacks quality all over the pitch. Eric Dier interestingly is predicted to start in defence for McDermott’s men. One of Leicester’s surprise title winners, Andy King adds to the experience but apart from the 3 mentioned players, this appears to be a fairly inexperienced squad.

Dom Solanke, who was tipped for big things only a few years ago will likely partner Walcott upfront in a pacey duo. Charlie Austin will also be in the mix and will likely chip in with a few goals over the season. Matty Cash has a lot of potential and will add value to the team whether he plays at fullback or on the right side of midfield.

This is another team which is lacking a top keeper, Jojo Wollacott is predicted to start. Wollacott has only managed 9 appearances this season at Forest Green Rovers so it doesn’t bode well for the defence in front of him.

Overall, it doesn’t look great for this team, I wouldn’t be surprised to see this team in and around the bottom 3 come the end of the season especially with a worrying lack of quality in goal.

Team 8 – South-East Midlands - Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Cambridgeshire, Northamptonshire– Population: 3,051,792

Media Prediction: 14th - Title Odds: 200-1

Manager – Sean Dyche (Kettering, Burnley)

Name

Position

Birth City

Club

Nat

Karl Darlow

GK

Northampton

Newcastle

ENG

Simon Eastwood

GK

Luton

Oxford United

ENG

John Ruddy

GK

St. Ives

Wolves

ENG

Ben Chilwell

D/WB (L)

Bedford

Leicester

ENG

George Baldock

D/WB (R)

Aylesbury

Sheffield United

ENG

Jamal Lewis

D/WB/M/AM (L)

Luton

Norwich

NIR

James Justin

D/WB (RL)

Luton

Leicester

ENG

Jay Dasilva

D/WB (L)

Luton

Bristol City

ENG

Antonee Robinson

D/WB (L)

Milton Keynes

Wigan

USA

Darnell Furlong

D (RLC)

Luton

West Brom

ENG

Charlie l'Anson

D (C )

Luton

R. Majadahonda

ENG

James Clarke

D (RC)

Aylesbury

Walsall

ENG

Korey Smith

DM, M (C)

Luton

Bristol City

ENG

Lewis Baker

DM, M/AM (C)

Luton

Chelsea

ENG

Dele Alli

M (C), AM (LC), ST (C)

Milton Keynes

Tottenham

ENG

Izzy Brown

M (RL), AM (RLC), ST (C)

Peterborough

Luton Town

ENG

Matt Phillips

WB/M/AM (R)

Aylesbury

West Brom

SCO

Michael Jacobs

M (RL), AM (RLC)

Rothwell (Northants)

Wigan

ENG

Luke Berry

M/AM (C)

Cambridge

Luton Town

ENG

Teddy Bishop

M (C)

Cambridge

Ipswich Town

ENG

Callum Robinson

AM (RLC), ST (C)

Northampton

West Brom

IRL

Sean Maguire

AM (L), ST (C)

Luton

Preston

IRL

Ivan Toney

ST (C)

Northampton

Peterborough

ENG

Carlton Morris

ST (C)

Cambridge

MK Dons

ENG

Sam Baldock

ST (C)

Aylesbury

Reading

ENG

Likely Starting XI                                                                   

Another team with an uncreative name, apologies again to anyone from this region. Team 8 consists of counties Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Cambridgeshire and Northamptonshire and will be managed by Sean Dyche. Expect a mix of deep croaky touchline shouts, direct football and hard work on the pitch. Dyche is experienced at the top level having managed in the premier league for 5 of the last 6 seasons and has even guided Burnley to the Europa League, albeit losing in the Playoff round to Olympiacos.

John Ruddy, born in St Ives, will challenge Newcastle ‘keeper Karl Darlow for the starting berth in net. More strength in depth than most of the teams in the experiment in terms of the goalkeeper position.

In defence, Ben Chilwell is the standout player and will look to bomb up the left flank and create a supply of chances for the team. On the other side Sheffield United’s George Baldock will hope to do the same, as he has done for Chris Wilders men all season. Luton native Charlie l’Anson, who rather amusingly is known in Spain simply as Charlie is currently playing for Rayo Majadahonda in Spain, Sean Dyche will no doubt remind him to keep it simple at the back.

Milton Keynes born Dele Alli features in midfield and looks to be the best player in terms of ability in the team. Dyche will build the attack around Dele and will be hopeful he can provide a big impact and re-discover his form from the 2016/17 season by chipping in with plenty of goals. Chelsea duo Lewis Baker and Izzy Brown will be on the fringes of the team and will both be hoping to showcase their potential to Dyche.

If Dele plays in a deeper role, Irish internationals Callum Robinson and Sean Maguire, who incidentally both play club football together at Preston, will make a claim to start up front.

Despite being predicted to finish 14th, I can’t tell much difference between this team and the previous one who were predicted to finish 18th. I’d be surprised if this team does anything of note, although Sean Dyche can get the best out of his players that’s for sure.

Team 9 – East Anglia – Essex, Norfolk, Suffolk - Population: 3,457,571

Media Prediction: 17th - Title Odds: 400-1

Manager – Paul Warne (Norwich, Rotherham United)

Name

Position

Birth City

Club

Nat

Nick Pope

GK

Newmarket

Burnley

ENG

Angus Gunn

GK

Norwich

Southampton

ENG

Jed Steer

GK

Norwich

Aston Villa

ENG

James Tomkins

D (RC)

Basildon

Crystal Palace

ENG

Ryan Bennett

D (C)

Thurrock

Leicester

ENG

Sam Byram

D (RL), M/AM (R)

Thurrock

Norwich

ENG

Dominic Iorfa

D (RC), WB (R)

Southend-on-Sea

Sheffield Wednesday

ENG

Matt Clarke

D (LC)

Ipswich

Derby County

ENG

Cameron Carter-Vickers

D (C)

Southend-on-Sea

Luton Town

USA

Michael Morrison

D (C)

Haverhill

Reading

ENG

Charlie Daniels

D (L)

Harlow

Bournemouth

ENG

Morgan Fox

D/WB (L)

Chelmsford

Sheffield Wednesday

WAL

Luke Woolfenden

D (RC)

Ipswich

Ipswich Town

ENG

Todd Cantwell

M/AM (RLC)

Norwich

Norwich

ENG

Isaac Hayden

DM, M (C)

Chelmsford

Newcastle

ENG

Alex Pritchard

AM (RLC)

Orsett

Huddersfield

ENG

Josh Cullen

DM, M (C)

Southend-on-Sea

Charlton

IRL

Flynn Downes

DM, M (C)

Brentwood

Ipswich Town

ENG

Tom Adeyemi

DM, M (C)

Norwich

-

ENG

Joe Morrell

M (C )

Ipswich

Bristol City

WAL

Joe Ward

D/WB/AM (RL)

Chelmsford

Peterborough United

ENG

Ian Henderson

AM (RLC), ST (C )

Norwich

Rochdale

ENG

Macauley Bonne

AM (RL), ST (C )

Ipswich

Charlton

ZIM

Charlie Brown

ST (C )

Ipswich

Chelsea

ENG

Chris Martin

ST (C )

Lowestoft

Derby County

SCO

Likely Starting XI

The trio of counties of Essex, Norfolk and Suffolk make up the next team. Another team which aren’t predicted to fair well in the season, Team 9 will be managed by Paul Warne, who currently manages League 1 Rotherham United. Warne has had a great season so far and could well take the Millers back into the championship.

Onto the players, Nick Pope is the standout player in an extremely average bunch of players. Pope is likely to have a hard season ahead of him with the amount of chances the team could concede. Alongside the only England International, Pope, the squad also features three players who have been capped by USA, Zimbabwe and Scotland. Angus Gunn and Jed Steer make up the goalkeeping contingent.

Stand out players in defence include James Tomkins and Ryan Bennett who are no stranger to playing in the top flight. Spurs’ 8-time USA international Cameron Carter-Vickers who is currently on loan at championship side Luton Town also makes an appearance along with Sam Byram and Charlie Daniels in the fullback roles.

Talented young player Todd Cantwell will provide the flair and creativity, alongside Isaac Hayden who will help to add a bit of balance to Paul Warne’s midfield. Apart from that, there isn’t much to shout about for the East Anglians. Chris Martin, who has been capped 17 times for Scotland at senior international level will probably play upfront with there seemingly being a huge deficit of quality in the attacking areas for this side. Goals will surely be a worry for Paul Warne, I think the only chance this team stays up is Nick Pope having a great season.

Team 10 – Wales & Hereford – Wales, Herefordshire – Population: 3,169,324

Media Prediction: 12th – Title Odds: 100-1

Manager – Tony Pulis (Newport, West Brom)

Name

Position

Birth City

Club

Nat

Danny Ward

GK

Wrexham

Leicester

WAL

Wayne Hennessey

GK

Llangefni

Crystal Palace

WAL

Lee Burge

GK

Hereford

Sunderland

ENG

Ben Davies

D/WB (L)

Neath

Tottenham

WAL

Joe Rodon

D (C)

Swansea

Swansea

WAL

Connor Roberts

D/WB (RL)

Neath

Swansea

WAL

Neil Taylor

D/WB (L)

Ruthin

Aston Villa

WAL

Ashley Richards

D (RL), WB (R)

Swansea

Cardiff

WAL

Andrew Hughes

D (LC)

Cardiff

Preston

WAL

Adam Matthews

D/WB (RL)

Swansea

Charlton

WAL

James Collins

D (C)

Newport

-

WAL

Joe Walsh

D (C)

Cardiff

MK Dons

WAL

Gareth Bale

M (L), AM (RLC), ST (C)

Cardiff

Real Madrid

WAL

Aaron Ramsey

M (C), AM (RC)

Caerphilly

Juventus

WAL

Jarrod Bowen

M (RL), AM (RLC)

Hereford

West Ham

ENG

Harry Wilson

M (C), AM (RLC)

Wrexham

Bournemouth

WAL

Lee Evans

DM, M (C)

Newport

Wigan

WAL

Emyr Huws

DM, M (C)

Llanelli

Ipswich Town

WAL

Tom Lawrence

M (RL), AM (RLC)

Wrexham

Derby County

WAL

Joe Allen

DM, M (C)

Carmarthen

Stoke

WAL

Wes Burns

WB/M/AM (R ), ST (C )

Cardiff

Fleetwood

WAL

Connor Wickham

AM (RLC), ST (C)

Hereford

Sheffield Wednesday

ENG

Ched Evans

ST (C )

St Asaph

Fleetwood

WAL

Ellis Harrison

AM (L), ST (C)

Newport

Portsmouth

WAL

Aaron Collins

AM (RLC), ST (C)

Newport

Forest Green Rovers

WAL

Likely Starting XI

The first team containing players born outside of England, Wales and Herefordshire are the tenth team to be revealed and will be managed by Tony Pulis, who gets the nod over Mark Hughes and Ryan Giggs. The thought of Tony Pulis ordering Gareth Bale to launch throw-ins on to Connor Wickham’s head is a frightening one indeed.

The Welsh national team currently have their ‘golden generation’ of players having reached their highest world rankings of 8th only 4 years ago. The squad, rather staggeringly contains a combined total of 511 Wales caps. Wayne Hennessey being the most experienced with 84 caps for his country. The cream of the crop, in this team is certainly Gareth Bale who is capable of providing a lot of quality. Gareth is the second highest rated player in the league behind Team 6’s Harry Kane.

Another key player in midfield is Aaron Ramsey, who will act as a box to box player and will give Tony Pulis’ men a bit of quality as well as work rate in the middle. Joe Allen will play in the quarterback role and will look to dictate play in front of the back four.

The squad is made up of all welsh players apart from the three Hereford lads. One of those include Jarrod Bowen who will make an interesting partnership with Gareth Bale on the wings. Another is Connor Wickham who looks likely to start up front and will provide a platform for the team to build by holding the ball up for the more creative players.

In defence, there is plenty of experience with the likes of James Collins, Ashley Richards and Ben Davies. The defence looks to be solid compared to the other defences in the league and should work together well in front of either Danny Ward or Wayne Hennessey especially given the discipline Pulis will bring.

I think this squad has lots of potential and 100-1 title odds looks to be worth a couple of quid. Gareth Bale and Aaron Ramsey have the potential to push this team right up the league, however, it remains yet to be seen whether Pulis gives them the freedom they need.

Team 11 – West Midlands -West Midlands, Warwickshire – Population: 3,420,627 Media Prediction: 9h - Title Odds: 35-1

Manager – Sam Allardyce (Dudley, Unemployed)

Name

Position

Birth City

Club

Nat

Ben Foster

GK

Leamington Spa

Watford

ENG

James McKeown

GK

Birmingham

Grimsby

ENG

Scott Brown

GK

Wolverhampton

Port Vale

ENG

Rico Henry

D/WB (L)

Edgbaston

Brentford

ENG

Nathan Ferguson

D (RC)

Birmingham

West Brom

ENG

Cyrus Christie

D/WB (R)

Coventry

Fulham

IRL

Richard Stearman

D (C)

Wolverhampton

Huddersfield

ENG

Tom Lees

D (C)

Warwick

Sheffield Wednesday

ENG

Max Lowe

D/WB (L)

Birmingham

Derby County

ENG

Danny Batth

D (C)

Kingswinford

Stoke

ENG

Jordan Clarke

D (RC), WB (R )

Coventry

Scunthorpe United

ENG

James Maddison

M (LC), AM (RLC)

Coventry

Leicester

ENG

Jack Grealish

M/AM (RLC)

Solihull

Aston Villa

ENG

Nathan Redmond

AM (RLC), ST (C)

Birmingham

Southampton

ENG

Demarai Gray

M/AM (RL), ST (C)

Birmingham

Leicester

ENG

Romaine Sawyers

DM, M/AM (C)

Birmingham

West Brom

SKN

Nathaniel Mendez-Laing

M (R), AM (RL)

Birmingham

Cardiff

ENG

Jude Bellingham

M/AM (RLC)

Stourbridge

Birmingham

ENG

Dan Crowley

M/AM (C)

Coventry

Birmingham

IRL

Sam Morsy

DM, M (C)

Wolverhampton

Wigan

EGY

Callum Wilson

ST (C)

Coventry

Bournemouth

ENG

Troy Deeney

ST (C)

Birmingham

Watford

ENG

Andre Gray

AM (R), ST (C)

Wolverhampton

Watford

ENG

Kemar Roofe

AM (RLC), ST (C)

Walsall

RSC Anderlecht

ENG

Daniel Sturridge

ST (C)

Birmingham

-

ENG

Likely Starting XI

The West Midlands is an area with plenty of Premiership and Championship level clubs and has produced many top players in the past. The current generation is predicted to finish 9th out of the 20 teams and will be managed by Sam Allardyce, who rather staggeringly has managed 7 premier leagues clubs in his career, more than any other manager. Allardyce also holds the record for the shortest ever serving permanent England manager, lasting just one game before being sacked due to corruption allegations. Big Sam will bring plenty of experience to the team and will demand a high work rate from his team.

Troy Deeney is a player who will epitomise his manager on the pitch and will provide hard work, aggression and all round shithousery. Deeney will be certainly first pick for the captain’s arm band, alongside Deeney, the squad will benefit from the experience and leadership of 37-year-old Ben Foster, who has a total of 355 Premier League appearances and will start in goal.

The squad lacks top level quality in defence and is very much a championship standard defence. In front of the back four FM has predicted Allardyce will start with Sam Morsy and Romaine Sawyers who are both capped for Egypt and Saint Kitts and Nevis respectively. Wonderkid Jude Bellingham will likely feature off the bench over the course of the season and could make a claim to start if he impresses enough.

The main strength of this team will be in the attacking third, the team features an array of players with a mix of pace, creativity and flair. Grealish and Maddison, who are likely to fight over set piece duties should provide enough chances for the likes of Callum Wilson and Andre Gray who have genuine pace about them. Amongst the other attacking midfielders and forwards is Nathan Redmond, Demarai Gray and Daniel Sturridge. Sturridge is currently without a club having been found guilty of breaching gambling laws.

A team with plenty of goals in it, I wouldn’t be surprised if they finish higher than 9th in the league albeit Big Sam will have to keep the defence and midfield organised so that they don’t concede too many.

_________

Team 12 – East Midlands -Leicestershire, Lincolnshire, Nottinghamshire, Rutland – Population: 3,272,395 Media Prediction: 19h - Title Odds: 550-1

Manager – Nigel Pearson (Nottingham, Watford)

Name

Position

Birth City

Club

Nat

Jordan Smith

GK

Nottingham

Nottm Forest

ENG

James Belshaw

GK

Nottingham

Harrogate Town

ENG

Scott Loach

GK

Nottingham

Barnet

ENG

Kieron Freeman

D (RL), WB (R)

Arnold

Sheffield United

WAL

Liam Moore

D (C)

Loughborough

Reading

ENG

Joe Worrall

D (C)

Nottingham

Nottm Forest

ENG

Liam Palmer

D (RL), WB (R)

Worksop

Sheffield Wednesday

SCO

Wes Harding

D (RC)

Leicester

Birmingham

ENG

Tendayi Darikwa

D/WB (R)

Nottingham

Nottm Forest

ZIM

Wes Morgan

D (C)

Nottingham

Leicester

JAM

Elliott Moore

D (RC), DM

Coalville

Oxford United

ENG

Joe Mattock

D/WB (L)

Leicester

Rotherham United

Hamza Choudhury

DM, M (C)

Loughborough

Leicester

ENG

Tom Cairney

M/AM (C)

Nottingham

Fulham

SCO

Lee Tomlin

M/AM (C)

Leicester

Cardiff

ENG

Ryan Yates

DM, M (C)

Nottingham

Nottm Forest

ENG

Sam Clucas

DM, M (LC), AM (L)

Lincoln

Stoke

ENG

Ben Woodburn

M (C), AM (RLC), ST (C)

Nottingham

Oxford United

WAL

Tom Huddlestone

D (C), DM, M (C)

Nottingham

Derby County

ENG

Tom Naylor

D (C), DM, M (C)

Sutton-in-Ashfield

Portsmouth

ENG

Che Adams

ST (C)

Leicester

Southampton

ENG

David McGoldrick

AM (C), ST (C)

Nottingham

Sheffield United

IRL

Patrick Bamford

AM (RC), ST (C)

Grantham

Leeds Utd

ENG

Jonson Clarke-Harris

ST (C)

Leicester

Bristol Rovers

ENG

Tyler Walker

ST (C)

Nottingham

Nottm Forest

ENG

Likely Starting XI

On the east side of the midlands, team 12 will be managed by Nigel Pearson who is infamous for his ostrich allegation against a journalist. Pearson is another experienced manager who has recently performed well at Watford bringing them out of the relegation zone after a terrible start to the season under Quique Sanchez Flores.

East Midlands are predicted to finish 19th and look to be in a relegation scrap all season, Pearson may be a good manager to keep them up. There isn’t much quality throughout the squad, particularly in the goalkeeping position where it looks like Jordan Smith will start. Smith has been on loan this season at League 2 Mansfield Town from Nottingham Forest.

Similar to the West Midlands, the defence looks to be largely championship standard with the exception of the hugely experienced Wes Morgan who is familiar to Pearson from his time at Leicester. Morgan will no doubt be a certainty for captain duties and should make a good partnership in defence with Reading’s Liam Moore.

Tom Huddlestone will sit in front of the defence, Huddlestone has won 4 England caps but hasn’t been called up since November 2012 by Roy Hodgson. Alongside him is Hamza Choudhury who rather exotically has Bangladeshi-Grenadian heritage and should make a solid pairing with Huddlestone.

In attack, Pearson has a choice between £15m Saints flop Che Adams, Patrick Bamford or Sheffield United’s David McGoldrick who has won 10 caps for the Republic of Ireland. There doesn’t appear to be much depth on the flanks so Pearson will probably have to adopt a narrower formation.

Overall, the verdict on the East Midlands is not great, Pearson will have to do miracles for this team to avoid the drop.

_________

Team 13 – South Yorkshire & Humber -Derbyshire, East Riding of Yorkshire, South Yorkshire – Population: 3,017,379 Media Prediction: 2nd - Title Odds: 5-1

Manager – Chris Wilder (Stocksbridge, Sheffield United)

Name

Position

Birth City

Club

Nat

Cameron Dawson

GK

Sheffield

Sheffield Wednesday

ENG

Joe Wildsmith

GK

Sheffield

Sheffield Wednesday

ENG

George Long

GK

Sheffield

Hull City

ENG

John Stones

D (C)

Barnsley

Manchester City

ENG

Harry Maguire

D (C)

Sheffield

Man Utd

ENG

Kyle Walker

D/WB (R)

Sheffield

Manchester City

ENG

Danny Rose

D/WB/M (L)

Doncaster

Newcastle

ENG

Mason Holgate

D (RC)

Doncaster

Everton

ENG

Jamaal Lascelles

D (C)

Derby

Newcastle

ENG

Matt Lowton

D/WB (R)

Chesterfield

Burnley

ENG

Liam Cooper

D (C)

Hull

Leeds Utd

SCO

Gary Cahill

D (C)

Sheffield

Crystal Palace

ENG

Kyle Naughton

D (RL)

Sheffield

Swansea

ENG

Daniel James

M/AM (RL)

Hull

Man Utd

WAL

Ben Osborn

M (LC), AM (L)

Derby

Sheffield United

ENG

Alex Mowatt

M/AM (C)

Doncaster

Barnsley

ENG

Max Clark

D/WB (L), DM, M (LC)

Hull

Vitesse

ENG

Ben Wiles

M/AM (RLC)

Rotherham

Rotherham

ENG

Louis Reed

DM, M (C )

Sheffield

Peterborough United

ENG

Luke Brattan

DM, M (C )

Hull

Sydney FC

AUS

Jamie Vardy

ST (C)

Sheffield

Leicester

ENG

Dominic Calvert-Lewin

AM (RL), ST (C)

Sheffield

Everton

ENG

Billy Sharp

ST (C)

Sheffield

Sheffield United

ENG

Lee Gregory

ST (C)

Sheffield

Stoke

ENG

Jack Marriott

ST (C)

Beverley

Derby County

ENG

Likely Starting XI

Next up we have the combined counties of Derbyshire, East Riding of Yorkshire and South Yorkshire. Chris Wilder takes the manager job, who has been doing fantastically at Sheffield United this season. The squad features international level quality in defence with great strength in depth, Sheffield, in particular, have produced an amazing number of top defenders.

The squad has a combined total of 220 England caps, with 200 of those coming from the defence. The starting back four has enough quality to compete in a top four Premier League team with the likes of the most expensive defender ever, Harry Maguire. Alongside him are Man City duo John Stones and Kyle Walker as well as Danny Rose at left back. The strength in depth is highlighted by players such as Jamaal Lascelles, Gary Cahill and Mason Holgate who may have to start from the bench.

The back four will play in front of Sheffield Wednesday’s Cameron Dawson who looks to be a decent player who could play at Premiership level. Unfortunately, the quality in defence doesn’t quite translate into the midfield. The midfield three will have to work hard in order to win the ball back and give it to the pacey attack that features Dan James, Dominic Calvert-Lewin and the impressive Jamie Vardy.

The squad looks made up to be devastating on the counterattack and Vardy will surely be in for a chance with the Golden Boot come the end of the season providing that the midfield can provide the chances. This teams looks very strong on paper and look like they won’t concede much based on the strength they have had the back. This team should be in and around the title race come the end of the season and will hope to prove that you can win titles with your defence.

Team 14 – Greater Manchester - Greater Manchester – Population: 2,782,552 Media Prediction: 5th - Title Odds: 8-1

Manager – Gareth Ainsworth (Blackburn, Wycombe Wanderers)

Name

Position

Birth City

Club

Nat

Luke Daniels

GK

Bolton

Brentford

ENG

Keiren Westwood

GK

Manchester

Sheffield Wednesday

IRL

Kieran O'Hara

GK

Manchester

Man Utd

IRL

Ben Mee

D (LC)

Sale

Burnley

ENG

James Tarkowski

D (C)

Manchester

Burnley

ENG

Brandon Williams

D/WB (L)

Manchester

Man Utd

ENG

Michael Keane

D (C)

Stockport

Everton

ENG

Rob Holding

D (C)

Stalybridge

Arsenal

ENG

Kieran Trippier

D/WB (R)

Bury

Atlético de Madrid

ENG

Craig Dawson

D (RC)

Rochdale

Watford

ENG

Tosin Adarabioyo

D (RC)

Manchester

Blackburn

ENG

Joe Bennett

D/WB (L)

Rochdale

Cardiff

ENG

Phil Foden

M/AM (C)

Stockport

Manchester City

ENG

Dwight McNeil

M/AM (RL), ST (C)

Rochdale

Burnley

ENG

Dale Stephens

DM, M (C)

Bolton

Brighton

ENG

Danny Drinkwater

M (C)

Manchester

Aston Villa

ENG

Ben Pearson

DM, M (C)

Oldham

Preston

ENG

Joe Rothwell

M (C), AM (RLC)

Manchester

Blackburn

ENG

Ryan Kent

M/AM (RL)

Oldham

Rangers

ENG

Tom Ince

AM (RLC)

Stockport

Stoke

ENG

Marcus Rashford

AM (L), ST (C)

Manchester

Man Utd

ENG

Danny Welbeck

AM (RL), ST (C)

Manchester

Watford

ENG

Scott Hogan

AM (R), ST (C)

Salford

Birmingham

IRL

Tyrese Campbell

ST (C)

Stockport

Stoke

ENG

Jordan Rhodes

ST (C)

Oldham

Sheffield Wednesday

SCO

Likely Starting XI

Greater Manchester are the only team out of the 20 to be made up of one county, the smallest region in terms of population but they appear to have some potential this season having been predicted to finish 5th. This is a region which has produced some fantastic players in the past including Geoff Hurst and probably most famously, part of the class of ’92 featuring Gary Neville and Paul Scholes

Despite having a good mix of players, there doesn’t seem to be a great selection of managers born from the region. Gareth Ainsworth, who has done well in recent years at Wycombe will take charge, Gareth has been at Wycombe for 8 years and has oversaw promotion into League 1.Impressively Ainsworth is the longest serving manager in the premier and football league.

Unsurprisingly out of the 25 players in the squad, 14 have come through the academies of Premier League giants Man Utd and Man City. Brentford keeper Luke Daniels will compete with Sheff Wed’s Keiren Westwood to start in goal. Infront of the keeper this is another squad with a strong defence, Burnley duo Tarkowski and Mee will make a good partnership if they start. Otherwise Michael Keane, Craig Dawson and Rob Holding will also make their claim for a starting spot in Ainsworth’s defence. In the fullback positions there is quality with Atletico’s Kieran Trippier who will also hope to be on set piece duties, on the other side is young Brandon Williams who has had a breakthrough season at Man Utd.

Premier league winner and more recently Chelsea flop Danny Drinkwater is predicted to start alongside Brighton’s Dale Stephens. However Greater Manchester also have the extremely talented Phil Foden who will definitely feature in the team over the course of the season.

Sharing 74 caps between them Danny Welbeck and Marcus Rashford will provide the firepower, particularly Rashford will be the key man in attack. Alongside them will be either Ryan Kent or Tom Ince, son of former Liverpool and Man Utd midfielder Paul Ince. Amongst the rest of the attacking contingent is Jordan Rhodes, who once was a prolific goal scorer in the football league.

With some talent in important areas of the pitch, the team from Greater Manchester could quite possibly finish in the top four despite having the team with the smallest population out of the 20 by a fair bit. This is another team which will rely on their quality in defence and will be hoping to get as many clean sheets as possible.

_________

Team 15 – North-West - Cumbria, Lancashire, Merseyside – Population: 3,391,458 Media Prediction: 3rd - Title Odds: 6-1

Manager – Phil Parkinson (Chorley, Sunderland)

Name

Position

Birth City

Club

Nat

Dean Henderson

GK

Whitehaven

Sheffield United

ENG

Sam Johnstone

GK

Preston

West Brom

ENG

Scott Carson

GK

Whitehaven

Manchester City

ENG

Trent Alexander-Arnold

D/WB (R), DM, M (C)

Liverpool

Liverpool

ENG

Conor Coady

D (C), DM, M (C)

Liverpool

Wolves

ENG

Phil Jones

D (C)

Preston

Man Utd

ENG

Jack O'Connell

D (C)

Liverpool

Sheffield United

ENG

Jonjoe Kenny

D/WB (R)

Liverpool

Schalke 04

ENG

Aaron Cresswell

D (LC), WB (L)

Liverpool

West Ham

ENG

Martin Kelly

D (RC)

Liverpool

Crystal Palace

ENG

Scott Dann

D (C)

Liverpool

Crystal Palace

ENG

Leighton Baines

D/WB (L)

Liverpool

Everton

ENG

Ross Barkley

M/AM (C)

Liverpool

Chelsea

ENG

Scott McTominay

M (C)

Lancaster

Man Utd

SCO

Harvey Barnes

AM (RLC), ST (C)

Burnley

Leicester

ENG

Oliver Norwood

DM, M (C)

Burnley

Sheffield United

NIR

Tom Davies

DM, M/AM (C)

Liverpool

Everton

ENG

John Lundstram

DM, M (C)

Liverpool

Sheffield United

ENG

Matty James

DM, M (C)

Bacup

Leicester

ENG

Connor Mahoney

M (RL), AM (RLC)

Blackburn

Millwall

ENG

Rabbi Matondo

M/AM (RL)

Liverpool

Schalke 04

WAL

Jay Rodriguez

M (RL), AM (RLC), ST (C)

Burnley

Burnley

ENG

Wayne Rooney

DM, M/AM (C), ST (C)

Liverpool

Derby County

ENG

Joe Garner

ST (C)

Blackburn

Wigan

ENG

Glenn Murray

ST (C)

Workington

Brighton

ENG

Likely Starting XI

This is another region which has produced some fantastic players in the past, particularly from the city of Liverpool. Famous players to come out of Liverpool include Steven Gerrard, Robbie Fowler and Wayne Rooney (who features in the current squad). Again, the standard of players doesn’t match the standard of manager with Sunderland boss Phil Parkinson taking charge. Parkinson’s biggest achievement is taking League two Bradford City to the 2013 League cup final.

Predicted to finish 3rd, this team has all round ability and is one of the stronger regions as many people expected. Dean Henderson, who has had a great season with Sheffield United, will start in goal and is one of the best goalkeepers in the league. FM is predicting that Parkinson will adopt a 3-4-3/5-2-3 system with two attacking wingbacks who are both at different stages of their career. Trent Alexander-Arnold, who has developed into one of the best attacking fullbacks in the world and on the other flank, the experienced Leighton Baines. In terms of the central defenders, the squad features premier league players including Connor Coady and Jack O’Connell who play their football at Wolves and Sheffield United respectively and have had a great season so far. Amongst the remainder of the defenders are Aaron Cresswell, Phil Jones and Jonjoe Kenny.

In the midfield, there is plenty of premier league quality, with FM predicted that the central pairing will be young Scott McTominay and the more attacking option Ross Barkley. FPL legend Lundstram will make the bench and will be hoping to provide a few goals and assists to the team. In the wide areas, the talented young Harvey Barnes will probably play on the right and on the left Ainsworth will have a choice of either Jay Rodriguez or inexperienced Rabbi Matondo who plays his football at Schalke.

Team 16 – North & West Yorks’ -North Yorkshire, West Yorkshire – Population: 3,434,422 Media Prediction: 10th - Title Odds: 40-1

Manager – Steve McClaren (York, Unemployed)

Name

Position

Birth City

Club

Nat

Alex Smithies

GK

Huddersfield

Cardiff

ENG

Craig MacGillivray

GK

Harrogate

Portsmouth

SCO

David Stockdale

GK

Leeds

ENG

Ben Godfrey

D (C), DM

York

Norwich

ENG

Charlie Taylor

D/WB/M (L)

York

Burnley

ENG

James Milner

WB (RL), DM, M (RLC)

Leeds

Liverpool

ENG

James Tavernier

D/WB/M (R)

Bradford

Rangers

ENG

Connor Goldson

D (C)

York

Rangers

ENG

Jack Hunt

D/WB (R)

Leeds

Bristol City

ENG

Andre Wisdom

D (RC), WB (R)

Leeds

Derby County

ENG

Jonny Howson

D (RC), WB (R), M (C)

Leeds

Middlesbrough

ENG

Fabian Delph

D (L), M (C)

Bradford

Everton

ENG

Kalvin Phillips

DM, M (C)

Leeds

Leeds Utd

ENG

Lewis Cook

DM, M (C)

Leeds

Bournemouth

ENG

Aaron Lennon

M (R), AM (RL)

Leeds

Burnley

ENG

Danny Ward

M (L), AM (LC), ST (C)

Bradford

Cardiff

ENG

Jack Clarke

M (R), AM (RL)

York

QPR

ENG

Jamie Shackleton

M (C)

Leeds

Leeds Utd

ENG

Marcus Tavernier

M (C), AM (RLC)

Leeds

Middlesbrough

ENG

Jacob Brown

M/AM (R), ST (C)

Halifax

Barnsley

ENG

Erling Haaland

ST (C)

Leeds

Borussia Dortmund

NOR

Mason Greenwood

AM (R), ST (C)

Bradford

Man Utd

ENG

Oliver McBurnie

AM (RC), ST (C)

Leeds

Sheffield United

SCO

Ashley Fletcher

AM (RL), ST (C)

Keighley

Middlesbrough

ENG

Josh Windass

AM (RLC), ST (C)

Bradford

Sheffield Wednesday

ENG

Likely Starting XI

The region of Yorkshire would have finished 12th in the 2012 Olympics medal table if considered an independent country, the impressive production of line of sportsmen also includes some decent footballers as shown by the quality included within the South Yorkshire team. The North & West Yorkshire team doesn’t quite have the same level of ability however does boast some exciting names.

Steve McClaren, nicknamed ‘the wally with the brolly’ as part of his unsuccessful spell as England manager failing to qualify for Euro 2008, will manage the North & West Yorks’ side. McClaren has managed in Germany, Holland and England since then and guided FC Twente to their first ever Eredivisie title in 2009. Since then, he has rather unsuccessful spells at the likes of Newcastle, QPR and Wolfsburg.

The standout name within this team is the Norwegian wonderkid Erling Braut Haaland, who surprisingly was born in Leeds when his Dad Alfe-Inge was playing for Leeds in the late nineties. Haaland has been an absolute revelation in the past year and has scored for fun, even since joining Dortmund he has in averaging almost a goal a game. Haaland will be part of an exciting young attacking trio alongside Mason Greenwood and Oli McBurnie which will certainly be full of raw talent and ability with an enormous amount of potential.

Amongst the rest of the team, James Milner is the most experienced player by a long way, Milner seems to get better with age and will probably put in a decent shift in any position with McClaren chooses to deploy him. Fabian Delph and Leeds’ Kalvin Phillips will form a tireless midfield duo and are both arguably premier league standard players who will make a big impact in the team. Bournemouth’s Lewis Cook who has been once capped for England will also throw his name in the hat to be a part of McClaren’s starting midfield.

In defence, Norwich’s Ben Godfrey looks to be the standout player (apart from Milner) and will probably partner either Andre Wisdom or Connor Goldson at the back depending what system McClaren adopts. The number one shirt will go to Cardiff’s Alex Smithies, who has featured 21 times for Cardiff in the championship in the year so far and will offer a reliable choice in net, although probably won’t do anything spectacular.

Haalands goals alongside Miners experience could prove vital to McClaren’s men having a good season as there doesn’t appear to be a great deal of quality to warrant a better finish than the currently predicted 10th place

Team 17North-East & Borders - County Durham, Northumberland, Tyne and Wear, East Midlothian, Edinburgh City, Midlothian, Scottish Borders - Population: 3,127,298 - Media Prediction: 11th- Title Odds: 45-1

Manager – Gordon Strachan (Edinburgh, Unemployed)

Name

Position

Birth City

Club

Nat

Jordan Pickford

GK

Sunderland

Everton

ENG

Fraser Forster

GK

Hexham

Celtic

ENG

Scott Bain

GK

Edinburgh

Celtic

SCO

Ben Gibson

D (C)

Middlesbrough

Burnley

ENG

Chris Basham

D (C), DM, M (C)

Gateshead

Sheffield United

ENG

Dan Burn

D (LC)

Blyth

Brighton

ENG

Paul Dummett

D (LC)

Newcastle

Newcastle

WAL

Callum Paterson

D/WB (R), M/AM (RC)

Edinburgh

Cardiff

SCO

Adam Reach

WB (L), M/AM (RLC)

Chester-le-Street

Sheffield Wednesday

ENG

Dael Fry

D (C)

Middlesbrough

Middlesbrough

ENG

Hayden Coulson

D/WB/M/AM (L)

Gateshead

Middlesbrough

ENG

Jordan Henderson

DM, M (C)

Sunderland

Liverpool

ENG

Sean Longstaff

DM, M (C)

North Shields

Newcastle

ENG

Matty Longstaff

DM, M/AM (C)

North Shields

Newcastle

ENG

Jonathan Hogg

DM, M (C)

Middlesbrough

Huddersfield

ENG

Lewis Wing

M/AM (C)

Newton Aycliffe

Middlesbrough

ENG

Jack Colback

DM, M (C)

Newcastle

Newcastle

ENG

Jordan Jones

AM (RL)

Middlesbrough

Rangers

NIR

Giovanni Reyna

M/AM (LC)

Sunderland

Borussia Dortmund

USA

Sammy Ameobi

AM (RL)

Newcastle

Nottm Forest

NGA

Adam Armstrong

AM (RL), ST (C)

Newcastle

Blackburn

ENG

Leigh Griffiths

ST (C)

Edinburgh

Celtic

SCO

Andy Carroll

ST (C)

Gateshead

Newcastle

ENG

Jordan Hugill

ST (C)

Stockton-on-Tees

QPR

ENG

Martyn Waghorn

AM (RLC), ST (C)

South Shields

Derby County

ENG

Likely Starting XI

The North-East of England is a football mad region which has produced amazing players in the past, including the likes of Chris Waddle, Gazza, Peter Beardsley, Michael Carrick and of course the legendary Alan Shearer. In terms of the Scottish contingent of the squad, Edinburgh is less known for producing football players compared to the other big Scottish city Glasgow, however the manager, Edinburgh-born Gordon Strachan will be representing the Scots.

Out of the 25 players, only 3 Scottish born players make the squad, all of whom will probably be fringe players. The squad unfortunately doesn’t match the level of ability of its predecessors from the region. Sunderland academy products Jordan Pickford and Jordan Henderson, who lifted the champions league trophy last year, are the two stand out players from this region. Pickford has been England’s first choice goalkeeper for the past few years and is one of the better keepers in this league.

Alongside Henderson in the midfield will be one of the Longstaff brothers who have both came through the Newcastle academy. Sean had his breakthrough season last season whilst brother Matty has emerged within the current season. Both brothers are a similar type of player with younger brother, Matty has a bit more energy and probably offers a more balanced option alongside Henderson.

Another Borussia Dortmund youngster who was born in the UK, Giovanni Reyna, features in the attacking midfield. Gio was born in Sunderland of all places, when his Dad Claudio was playing in the North-East. Reyna is predicted to start in the number ten role behind either Leigh Griffiths or 9 time England capped and £35m man (at one point) Andy Carroll. Carroll has largely had a career of injuries and under-performances since his big money move to Liverpool but will always be a handful for defenders.

In defence, the squad features some decent premier league players, including the likes of Ben Gibson, Chris Basham, Dan Burn and Welsh international Paul Dummett. Unfortunately, the strength in defence is largely in the central positions with the full back positions looking a lot weaker by comparison.

Overall a decent team that should be in and around the mid table positions come the end of the season. Pickford and the defence should hope to keep the clean sheets to take the pressure off the attacking part of the team.

Team 18 – N.I & SW Scotland - Northern Ireland, Isle of Man, Dumfries and Galloway, East Ayrshire, East Renfrewshire, Inverclyde, North Ayrshire, Renfrewshire, South Ayrshire, South Lanarkshire- Population: 3,082,203 Media Prediction: 13th- Title Odds: 150-1

Manager – Brendan Rodgers (Carnlough, Leicester City)

Name

Position

Birth City

Club

Nat

Trevor Carson

GK

Downpatrick

Motherwell

NIR

Michael McGovern

GK

Enniskillen

Norwich

NIR

Craig Gordon

GK

Edinburgh

Celtic

NIR

Kieran Tierney

D (LC), WB (L)

Douglas [Isle Of Man]

Arsenal

SCO

Jonny Evans

D (C)

Belfast

Leicester

NIR

Craig Cathcart

D (RC)

Belfast

Watford

NIR

Shane Duffy

D (C)

Londonderry

Brighton

IRL

Grant Hanley

D (C)

Dumfries

Norwich

SCO

Greg Taylor

D (L)

Greenock

Celtic

SCO

Declan Gallagher

D (RC), WB (R)

Rutherglen

Motherwell

SCO

Michael Smith

D (RC)

Ballyclare

Hearts

NIR

Conor McLaughlin

D/WB (R ), DM

Belfast

Sunderland

NIR

James Forrest

M/AM (R)

Irvine

Celtic

SCO

Kenny McLean

DM, M/AM (C)

Rutherglen

Norwich

SCO

Stuart Dallas

D (R), M/AM (RL)

Cookstown

Leeds Utd

NIR

Paddy McNair

D (C), DM, M (C)

Antrim

Middlesbrough

NIR

Gavin Whyte

AM (R)

Belfast

Cardiff

NIR

James McClean

D/WB (L), M/AM (RL)

Londonderry

Stoke

IRL

Corry Evans

DM, M (C)

Belfast

Blackburn

NIR

David Turnbull

M/AM (C)

Carluke

Motherwell

SCO

Steven Naismith

M/AM (C), ST (C)

Irvine

Hearts

SCO

Kyle Lafferty

ST (C )

Enniskillen

Sunderland

NIR

Josh Magennis

ST (C )

Bangor

Hull City

NIR

Liam Boyce

ST (C )

Belfast

Hearts

NIR

Steven Lennon

M(C ), AM (RLC), ST (C )

Irvine

Fimleikafelag Hafnarfjardar

SCO

Likely Starting XI

The team featuring Northern Ireland and my place of birth, I’ll be backing Rodgers’ men for when I come to simulate the season. I’ve also included Isle of Man (who technically aren’t in the UK, but I’ve thrown them in for the inclusion of a particular player. As mentioned, Brendan Rodgers will take charge of this team which could’ve had either Martin or Michael O’Neill at the helm and he will be hoping to take this team higher than their predicted finish of 13th. The squad has a wealth of international experience featuring 743 international caps between them from players representing Northern Ireland, Scotland and the Republic of Ireland.

The squad’s composition is made up of 14 Northern Irishmen, 10 Scots and the one player born in the Isle of Man, Kieran Tierney who plays his international football for Scotland. Tierney is probably the key player in the squad and there may have a been a bit of bias about his inclusion to boost the chances of this team. Nonetheless he is part of a decent defence which includes 3 time premier league winner and 80-time Northern Ireland capped Jonny Evans. Amongst the rest of defence, there is Watford’s Craig Cathcart, Brighton’s Shane Duffy and Grant Hanley.

The midfield and attack are underwhelming and features only one player currently playing in the premier league. However, James Forrest offers a threat from the right wing and will be hoping to use his pace and trickery to full effect. On the other flank will probably be James McClean who no doubt would turn his nose up at representing this region if called upon in reality.

Leading the line will be either of the ageing duo of Steven Naismith or Kyle Lafferty who would offer a more direct option for Rodgers’ men. Finally, in goal, Craig Gordon should provide a decent option and has played in the premier league in the past.

Despite my allegainces to this team, I’m not too hopeful considering the squad above, but fingers crossed Brendan can work his magic and a top ten finish would be a success!

Team 19 – Northern Scotland - Aberdeen City, Aberdeenshire, Angus, Argyll and Bute, Clackmannanshire,  Dundee City, East Dunbartonshire, Falkirk, Fife, Glasgow City, Highlands, North Lanarkshire, Orkney Islands, Perth and Kinross, Shetland Islands, Stirling, West Dunbartonshire, West Lothian - Population: 3,405,207 Media Prediction: 7th- Title Odds: 25-1

Manager – Alex Ferguson (Glasgow, Man United (Technical Director))

Name

Position

Birth City

Club

Nat

Zander Clark

GK

Glasgow

St Johnstone

SCO

David Marshall

GK

Glasgow

Wigan

SCO

Liam Kelly

GK

Glasgow

QPR

SCO

Andrew Robertson

D/WB (L)

Glasgow

Liverpool

SCO

John Souttar

D (RC)

Aberdeen

Hearts

SCO

Graeme Shinnie

D/WB (L), DM, M (C)

Aberdeen

Derby County

SCO

Barry Douglas

D/WB (L)

Glasgow

Leeds Utd

SCO

Stephen O'Donnell

D/WB (R)

Bellshill

Kilmarnock

SCO

Stuart Findlay

D (LC)

Glasgow

Kilmarnock

SCO

Scott McKenna

D (C)

Kirriemuir

Aberdeen

SCO

Scott Brown

DM, M (C)

Dunfermline

Celtic

SCO

Craig Forsyth

D (LC), WB/M (L)

Carnoustie

Derby County

SCO

Charlie Mulgrew

D (C)

Glasgow

Blackburn Rovers

John McGinn

DM, M/AM (C)

Glasgow

Aston Villa

SCO

Ryan Fraser

M/AM (RL)

Aberdeen

Bournemouth

SCO

Stuart Armstrong

M (C), AM (RC)

Inverness

Southampton

SCO

John Fleck

DM, M (C)

Glasgow

Sheffield United

SCO

James McCarthy

DM, M (C)

Glasgow

Crystal Palace

IRL

Callum McGregor

DM, M/AM (LC)

Glasgow

Celtic

SCO

Ryan Christie

M/AM (RLC)

Inverness

Celtic

SCO

James McArthur

DM, M (RC)

Glasgow

Crystal Palace

SCO

Robert Snodgrass

M (RL), AM (RLC)

Glasgow

West Ham

SCO

Greg Stewart

AM (RLC), ST (C)

Stirling

Rangers

SCO

Lawrence Shankland

ST (C)

Glasgow

Dundee Utd

SCO

Ross McCormack

M(L),AM (LC), ST (C )

Glasgow

-

SCO

Likely Starting XI

Yes, that’s right, the most successful football manager of all time is coming out of retirement to participate in this experiment. I had some doubts over the inclusion of Fergie as he’s not technically still in management, nonetheless I thought I’d throw him in as he is still classed as being able to manage on FM and it could add another mini-experiment in the context of this to see how Fergie would do coming back to management with this type of squad at 78 years of age.

The remaining counties of Scotland represent this team and, like the previous squad, has plenty of international of experience. Champions League winner and probably the best left back in the league, Andy Robertson, is the key player in this team and adds some quality to the defence which doesn’t appear to be anything special outside Robertson with the remaining defenders largely being at mid table SPL clubs.

The midfield of this team is certainly the strength, FM predicts Celtic duo Callum McGregor and Scott Brown to sit in a pivot in front of the defence. Both players provide a balanced midfield and have experience playing in Celtic’s dominant spell in Scottish football. James McCarthy will also make a decent option if the managers decides to play with a three in midfield. In front of those two, will be an attacking trio of premier league players Ryan Fraser, Robert Snodgrass and Stefan Armstrong. Fraser, in particular, will be a threat with his direct running and ability to beat his man on the wing.

The striker position, however, appears to be lacking quality. FM is predicting Dundee United man, Lawrence Shankland, to start upfront although Ferguson also has the option of Ross McCormack who has previously been prolific in the championship for both Leeds and Fulham.

It will be interesting to see what effect the manager has on this team, theoretically the team should overperform with an excellent manager and that’s perhaps why they are predicted to finish 7th.

Team 20 – Western England - Cheshire, Shropshire, Staffordshire, Worcestershire - Population: 3,237,053 Media Prediction: 15th- Title Odds: 250-1

Manager – Adrian Heath (Newcastle-under-Lyme, Minnesota United)

Name

Position

Birth City

Club

Nat

Joe Hart

GK

Shrewsbury

Burnley

ENG

Tom Heaton

GK

Chester

Aston Villa

ENG

Aaron Ramsdale

GK

Stoke-on-Trent

Bournemouth

ENG

Jack Robinson

D (LC)

Warrington

Sheffield United

ENG

James Chester

D (C)

Warrington

Stoke

WAL

Curtis Nelson

D (C)

Newcastle-under-Lyme

Cardiff

ENG

Ryan Shawcross

D (C)

Chester

Stoke

ENG

Nathan Baker

D (C)

Worcester

Bristol City

ENG

Amari'i Bell

D/WB (L)

Burton-on-Trent

Blackburn

ENG

Tommy Smith

D (RC)

Warrington

Stoke

ENG

Ryan Shotton

D (RC), WB (R)

Stoke-on-Trent

Middlesbrough

ENG

Tom Edwards

D (R)

Stafford

Stoke

ENG

Jesse Lingard

M (RL), AM (RLC)

Warrington

Man Utd

ENG

David Brooks

M (R), AM (RC)

Warrington

Bournemouth

WAL

Marc Albrighton

M/AM (RL)

Tamworth

Leicester

ENG

Ashley Westwood

DM, M (C)

Nantwich

Burnley

ENG

Morgan Gibbs-White

M/AM (C)

Stafford

Wolves

ENG

Joe Lolley

AM (RLC)

Redditch

Nottm Forest

ENG

Josh Brownhill

M (RC)

Warrington

Burnley

ENG

Jack Harrison

M (R), AM (RL)

Stoke-on-Trent

Leeds Utd

ENG

Nick Powell

M/AM (C)

Crewe

Stoke

ENG

Elliott Bennett

D/WB/M/AM (R)

Telford

Blackburn

ENG

Tom Bradshaw

ST (C)

Shrewsbury

Millwall

WAL

Steven Fletcher

ST (C)

Shrewsbury

Sheffield Wednesday

SCO

Louis Moult

ST (C)

Stoke-on-Trent

Preston

ENG

Likely Starting XI

And, the final team in the experiment as you may have noticed is a strange combination of counties. This region was put together as the result of my mistake of having to construct a region made up of the qualifying population after incorrectly dividing the UK into 19 teams and having to pull a group of counties together from the other regions I’d already selected.

Managing this team will be former Everton and Burnley footballer Adrian Heath. Heath has managed in the USA since 2008 after brief spells at Burnley and Sheffield United in the late nineties. An unfamiliar name to most in terms of management, it remains to be seen what impact he will have.

Onto the players. At first glance the teams appear to be made up of a group of washed up premier league players with a sprinkle of young talent. Typifying this is the goalkeeping position, Joe Hart and Tom Heaton, will compete for the number one jersey alongside young Bournemouth keeper Aaron Ramsdale. It seems like most of the other regions would be begging for any one of these three considering the lack of ability in this position at most of the other teams.

In defence, the trend continues with the likes of Stoke duo James Chester and Ryan Shawcross who are alongside Jack Robinson and Curtis Nelson in the centre back position. The squad has a decent amount of ability in the midfield, which includes Jesse Lingard who more well known for his off the field social media antics than his ability on the pitch. Bournemouth’s David Brooks will probably play behind the striker whilst another of Leicester’s title winners, Marc Albrighton, will play on the left.

An ageing Steven Fletcher will probably play upfront with competition from Millwall’s Tom Bradshaw and Preston’s Louis Moult who don’t appear to be having great seasons to date.

15th is probably about right for this squad although the relative inexperience of Adrian Heath could have an impact on how the season goes.

I hope you’ve all enjoyed the write-up which has taken a fair bit of time. If there's any errors in the above please let me know and I can make amends before I run the experiment. In the next post, I’ll be showing the results of the experiment which will be simulated in Football Manager 2020 and also the results of the prediction game. I thought it would be fun to predict what will happen in the simulation, so if you want to participate add a comment with your predictions for the following.

The awards will be decided by FM and I will also be adding a cup competition which will probably be knockout based to run alongside the league.

Predictions

Top four (1 pt for Top four, 2 pt for correct position)

Bottom three (1 pt for bottom three, 2pt for correct position)

Cup Winner -

Player Awards:

Top goal scorer -

Most Assists

Most Clean sheets

Player of the Year

Young player of the Year

Manager of the Year -

Edited by jcoll
Changed title

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry guys, I didn't think there was enough initial interest in this and completely forgot to re check the thread after the first couple of days, you can see the results over on reddit. There certainly were some interesting results and I'dlove to do something similar in FM21.

• 1 month later...

looking forward to see how the north west get on in FM21, think the lack of interest last time was due to lack of updates, once you start updating on progress (maybe monthly?) then people will post. Hopefully some more Cumbrians make the North West side this time