Sports Interactive Community
Cassius

Counter Tactic + DLP = counter-intuitive ?

Hi all !

Needing some tactic insight here ! :)

I am about to start my third season with Bristol City, over achieving and feeling pretty good (7th position in the league previous year : very happy !)

I have some doubt over one specific topic though.
I have a pretty good DLP regen I want to take advantage of. He has good vision, good pass, good first touch, decent composure. Very promising and I want to using at his best and make him improve fast.

However, my philosophie and tactic so far revolve around counter-attacking football. , very logical considering the team DNA I have come together. 

MY POINT : I worry using a DLP would go against the principal of the tactic. DLP being a ball magnet, I fear that it would cut the speed/impetus/pace of my attack.

Thought, with the "counter" option ticked maybe the match engine will dismiss the DLP=ball magnet logic? I have no idea

Below my main (4141 Wide) and secondary (442) tactics. I've used them previous season (80% and 20% of the time) and they both work good enough to bring us to Euro Cup. I am open to suggestion to improve them so.

1246775794_Robbins2020-20214141DMW.thumb.png.faae1c53fa49671bb70646cd0b0b96a7.png1785055254_Robbins2020-2021442.thumb.png.68b0055184433f6dcd540486fc75d0f2.png

Here is my Benitez boy :

1042266575_DonBenitez2020-2021.thumb.png.3977473c768115f2b9933012bdef4424.png

And finally the team report/DNA : heavy agressive workers :D

DNA.thumb.png.392c4ba8b8749cdaa7c5340768f892b8.png

I am open to any advice suggestions !

Posted (edited)

I think there are two ways of looking at this.

1. If you have a player who can pick out a long pass into space on the counter, why shouldn't you utilise him? If he's got good passing ability it makes sense to use it. OR
  2. If you focus your counter through one player and he is marked heavily, or keeps losing the ball, the whole basis of your tactic falls down and becomes ineffective.

It should definitely be possible to launch counter attacks through a DLP without it being a hinderance. If we look at a real life example; Man Utd were known as being an effective counter-attacking side under Sir Alex Ferguson. Paul Scholes was the DLP in his later years and they used to launch counter attacks through him because of his exceptional passing range. 

Of course you can't just play anybody in that role, they have to have the necessary attributes and PPMs to find space and be able to play quickly without feeling the need to slow the pace down. 

Edited by TheGoodRebel

'Tries long range passes' would suggest to me that he'd be great as a QB type playmaker at DM, hitting long balls to forwards on a counter.

I don't think there's anything inherently counter-intuitive about using a DLP in a counter attacking team and he looks like a pretty good prospect in that regard. I don't know much about Bristol City's squad, but I'd imagine he's already one of your best players. Even as a counter attacking team, you're not going to be on the counter 100% of the time. Having someone that can control the ball and make a key pass to unlock the defense in those moments can be critical. Also, it's helpful to have someone capable of making the key pass that launches a successful counter, and he seems like a pretty good option in that regard.

That being said, I'd recommend choosing between 433 and 442 and building your secondary tactic off that, not switching between two very different formations. 

7 minutes ago, Britrock said:

'Tries long range passes' would suggest to me that he'd be great as a QB type playmaker at DM, hitting long balls to forwards on a counter.

Absolutely. All three of his player traits are pretty good for launching a counter. 

Posted (edited)

IMHO a DLP works great at initiating counter attacks, when allowed to launch long passes upfield from deep (DM strata). :)

Edited by Starsurfer

15 hours ago, Cassius said:

Below my main (4141 Wide) and secondary (442) tactics. I've used them previous season (80% and 20% of the time) and they both work good enough to bring us to Euro Cup

If so, I would strongly advise against changing your tactic(s), because they obviously work for you. 

You could fit him into the CM(d) in your 442 or the BWM spot in the 4141 with PIs to encourage him to play more direct passing and take more risks and see if that works.

I have a 4141 counter tactic that uses a DLP in the DM position and I've trained the exact same PPMs into him as your player plus the dictates tempo trait and as mentioned he kind of sits and plays like a QB distributing the ball. With good decision making (as your player has also) when the ball over the top is on he often launches it for my quick CF or into the channels for the wide players, if not he keeps it simple and retains possession.

On 02/06/2020 at 04:45, XuluBak said:

Absolutely. All three of his player traits are pretty good for launching a counter. 

Ha! Was thinking the same thing :-)

Maybe rename the thread - Is this the perfect DLP regen for counter-attacking. Might not be pacey or great on crosses, but otherwise he strikes me as spot on for a counter-starter.