Transfer cancelled after failed medical

Well this is a gripe I’ve had with transfers of injured players

the gist is I tried to buy a player who was out injured for up to 3 months wIth a cruciate injury.

offer and contract got accepted and just at the last hurdle booooop he fails a medical and the board cancel the transfer.

I don’t even get to fight my case which is complete baloney since in real life plenty of players sign injured. It’s actually extremely rare in the top flight that players fail medicals. 
yesterday I read that Jermaine Defoe didn’t even have a medical when signing for Portsmouth.

Arsenal signed kelstram and teirney injured.

i believe Madrid signed hazard injured not certain though.

with that being said how can I not even have a discussion about how much I want this to go through? 

Are you serious?! You want to sign a player with a cruciate knee ligament injury, arguably one of the most serious injuries for a footballer to get which has finished or ruined the careers of countless players, and you are surprised your board object to this?!?!

Sure if he had a minor muscle strain, or maybe even a broken toe or something routine. Signing a player with an ACL injury would be the equivalent of you trying to buy a house then getting a survey done which reveals serious subsidence, then being surprised that the bank won't give you a mortgage.

If this is an April's Fools then you're 2 months late! :idiot:

Edited by IbrahimAliMaher
typo

5 hours ago, IbrahimAliMaher said:

Are you serious?! You want to sign a player with a cruciate knee ligament injury, arguably one of the most serious injuries for a footballer to get which has finished or ruined the careers of countless players, and you are surprised your board object to this?!?!

Sure if he had a minor muscle strain, or maybe even a broken toe or something routine. Signing a player with an ACL injury would be the equivalent of you trying to buy a house then getting a survey done which reveals serious subsidence, then being surprised that the bank won't give you a mortgage.

If this is an April's Fools then you're 2 months late! :idiot:

He’s a goal keeper -_-

he does the least amount of running on the pitch.

Callum Wilson head 2 back to back acl 

The surgery has improved since the 2000s grandad 

Tell me the last top flight player who’s career has ended due to an acl please

6 hours ago, jere_d said:

The surgery has improved since the 2000s grandad 

Tell me the last top flight player who’s career has ended due to an acl please

Surgery has definitely improved, but rare is it that a player who gets an ACL injury comes back to the same level as before. No team would sign a player with an ACL injury. And there is a reason there is a medical. It is not just a formality. How you can think a guy with a torn ACL is going to pass a medical is beyond me.

And players who have had their playing careers ended by an ACL? Do I have to stick to football, because the list of athletes in general is so long. 

25 minutes ago, KingCanary said:

I agree that it is unlikely for a club to sign someone out with an ACL injury.

However I do also partly agree with the OP that it would be nice to have an option to at least argue your case. 

It's the club who are taking the risk on their money and whatever, So i don't personally think it is negotiable. Sometimes decisions are made above our heads and we just have to accept that it is so

I'm not yet a Grandad but  I do know that, while not necessarily 'career ending', an ACL is one of those injuries that further issues are inevitable after recovery, however good or modern the surgeon is.

As a GK, his knees would be used - he doesn't run as much as others, but does a lot more jumping/landing on the knee, is a lot more agile than other players on the pitch, so yeah, and ACL is pretty serious and almost definitely going to cause issues later on.

From experience, if he is out for three months, then the ligament probably isn't being replaced - the knee works just as well without it in normal use but is less stable. A transplanted ligament would take much longer to heal, IRL for most people (my wife) about a year, or at least a full season out.

Buying a player with an ACL is, well, pretty poor financial management.

AS for the 'Taking a Medical' issue in the game. I believe IRL that the buying club has the option of insisting on a medical, it is their choice to make the deal dependent on a passed medical. Not all IRL transfers carry this clause, although there is obviously and insurance effect if it's not there. I would think it is in the game as applying to ALL transfers hence your situation.

On 02/06/2020 at 00:23, jere_d said:

The surgery has improved since the 2000s grandad Tell me the last top flight player who’s career has ended due to an acl please

Duncan Watmore.  Looked like a great prospect, until his went pop.  Now he's barely getting a game at League One level, when he should be approaching his prime.

20 hours ago, petertr said:

Duncan Watmore.  Looked like a great prospect, until his went pop.  Now he's barely getting a game at League One level, when he should be approaching his prime.

The guy from Sunderland 😒

soooooo he still plays and his career progression went exactly like most promising lower prem prospects (not even wonderkids 🙄) ????
This example is weak, the guy still plays football, probably He’s still at the same level as when he started.

Anyways that guy with the insurance answer is totally right.

that didn’t even cross my mind, No way can I argue with a point like that. 

Prime is relative also that could be his prime ive never seen him pull up trees.

look at dele alli that guys definitely passed his prime.

Edited by jere_d

5 hours ago, jere_d said:

The guy from Sunderland 😒

soooooo he still plays and his career progression went exactly like most promising lower prem prospects (not even wonderkids 🙄) ????
This example is weak, the guy still plays football, probably He’s still at the same level as when he started.

Not really.

He was pretty much a regular prem player for us and looked like he could continue to improve.  Then he snapped his cruciate.

Then on recovery, he got more injuries, and then more.  Now he's a totally different player. He won't have his contract renewed at 3rd Tier level at the end of the month and won't have a club.

One injury can turn into 10 very quickly.  You never know what's going to happen.

Edited by petertr

I think the op is right to say that an ACL issue is not as serious as it once was, but the chances of reoccurrence and future effects are huge.

Not a top division player, but Chris Cohen at Forest retired two years ago at 31 having had three ACL injuries. Had to relearn how to run and jump in that time as well as change position to left back as after the second one there was a feeling that playing in central midfield required him to do too many quick turning motions, iirc.

I would say that if the player concerned is young and going to be a back up to start with, it seems harsh to have the transfer rejected as there is time to test the long term effects with little risk to the club. But if he is going to be heavily relied on, on big wages and in late 20's/early 30's, the board are probably right to pull the plug and find a similar option without the same injury risk.

I think the issue is (to my knowledge) players don't 'pass' or 'fail' medicals. They have their medical and the doctor outlines any concerns to the club, particularly anything that could cause problems with insurance or is likely to make the player more injury prone. It's then up to the club to either sign them regardless and take the risk (they may choose to renegotiate with the selling club for a lower fee) or call the deal off.

Think a player with an ACL would flag up massive concerns and it's highly unlikely the club would press ahead until he's fully fit, but it would be nice to have the option to argue your case if he's an important signing rather than it getting cancelled altogether.

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Nobby_McDonald said:

I wouldn't sign a player with a torn ACL. I wouldn't even contemplate it.

well done you

I bought him the next window

his physical stats remained pretty much the same since he’s a keeper and 30 they weren’t high to begin with.

So I don’t see what the problem is

he only had a couple weeks of rehab left when I tried to sign him

Ruud Van Nistelroy - Wasn't he bought with or just prior to his ACL by Man Utd?

I expect there is an an SI Opportunity for logic changes around injuries, players in recovery and player purchases that exist in life but not in game. Personally I would see it as a risk and given the contracted fee and wages this could be a significant amount to invest and have the player break-down post transfer.

It wont matter how much you tell your FM bard you want the transfer to go through, as in real life they are accountable for the cash and if there is what they feel a significant risk then quite rightly the transfer should be cancelled

1 hour ago, MrPompey said:

Ruud Van Nistelroy - Wasn't he bought with or just prior to his ACL by Man Utd?

I expect there is an an SI Opportunity for logic changes around injuries, players in recovery and player purchases that exist in life but not in game. Personally I would see it as a risk and given the contracted fee and wages this could be a significant amount to invest and have the player break-down post transfer.

It wont matter how much you tell your FM bard you want the transfer to go through, as in real life they are accountable for the cash and if there is what they feel a significant risk then quite rightly the transfer should be cancelled

I think with Ruud weren’t United about to sign him then he got the injury so they put the injury off for a year.

i think you can sign injured players but can see the logic in the game if it’s a major injury like ACL. If we could sign players willy nilly you can bet someone would be on here that medicals are pointless as your new £50 million striker you signed with an acl injury retired before playing a game. 
Personally I don’t think we should be able to argue the point. A club has medical staff and how would a manager ever be able to over rule them? The whole point is your medical team is to do that. Maybe your medical team attributes could be changed or their philosophy so they could be more likely to let injured players pass a medical. Or is more strict and will fail them on minor things. Least then our choice of medical staff would have a bearing on those decisions. 

• Administrators

Very quick online scan for goalkeepers:

Sergio Asenjo - has done his ligament FOUR times missing countless matches over the last ten years. 

Bernd Leno - Don't want to link to the awful newspaper, but the second largest newspaper in the UK suggest he's done his ACL and will be out for a year.

Bobby Olejnik - was first choice in the 18/19 season until he did his ACL for Mansfield last season, eventually came back this season but again lost his first team spot after struggling

Tim Krul - Did his ACL at Newcastle, lost his first-team spot and after a series of injuries during his comeback never got his spot back. Eventually has got back to somewhere near his best at Norwich, but took a number of years after his first injury.

Not to mention clubs would definitely struggle to get insurance for a player who has a severe injury and fails/wouldn't pass a medical (see Demba Ba at West Ham, Ruud when leaving PSV and Victor Valdes to Monaco).