Hi Guys,

I created this tactic to suit Lower League teams or underdogs in any respective league.

The tactic consists of a very basic 4-4-2 formation with simplified player roles, which is why this works well with lower league teams, no over complicated player instructions or roles to fill!

The tactic is based on the Gengenpress style with wingers and two pressing forwards.

I've found that the two central midfielders will provide excellent opportunities for the marauding wingers to either score or set up a myriad of chances for the two forwards.

Don't expect the two midfielders to contribute many goals as they are there to do the donkey work, the goal-getting is lead by the strikers and wingers.

I've had some excellent success with underdog teams using this tactic.

So here's the basic formation and team instructions:

image.thumb.png.9cb58809016c2882d210c9e428d94eaa.png

As you can see the mentality here is Positive to ensure the team keeps trying to move forward. Players are arranged in a basic 4-4-2 with a Sweeper Keeper on Defend duty, Left Full Back is on Attack Duty, Right Full Back on Support Duty and two Ball Playing Defenders both set to defend.

There are no specific player instructions for any of these roles, all set to default.

Midfield is set up with two Attacking Wingers and two Central Midfielders, one on Support duty the other on Defend.

The only player instruction here is the Support midfield is instructed to get further forward.

Attack is set up with two Pressing Forwards, again, no specific player isntructions here.

In Possession we're set to pass the ball in to space, I've found that the two Central Midfielders use this often to send the ball down the flanks to the two wingers to move on to, despite there being no specific instruction to play down the flanks.

We're fairly narrow in attacking width to keep the team shape and allow easier balls to the wingers.

The tempo is extremely high to suit the Gengenpress style.

I've instructed the team to whip the crosses in to try to get pacy forwards onto the ball, due to the lack of quality or big target men up front in my team.

image.thumb.png.aa144ee19d90b409e0c44f775f42ca95.png

In transistion we are a standard Gengenpress, counter pressing and countering up the pitch when the ball is won back.

We're set to give the ball to the centre backs who'll start our attacks, I've found that this draws the opposition forwards out from the middle of the park which allows the CB's to distribute to the defensive midfielder who will initiate the next wave, so it's important to have a midfielder with good passing and vision if possible.

image.thumb.png.fbb2396bccf58db80802ea80d5e27f61.png 

Out of possession we're playin a much higher line of engagement and a higher defensive line. It helps to have pacy centre backs to enable this type of play.

The pressing is extremely urgent and trying to pressure the keeper.

Defensive width is standard.

image.thumb.png.c62497ccd12a9ad4545d8f7c5d55c230.png

I tried the above with Hungerford in the English Conference South and manage to win the division despite media predictions of bottom of the table:

image.thumb.png.c9838500ad746626c1ea90504e9c2703.png

We managed to finish as the top scorers, chances created, shots on target and shot conversion:

image.thumb.png.d5d73c896cf684578e6596254b06c0e9.png

image.thumb.png.aa3fa185ab18681a3e36ef1c674c0aa9.png

image.thumb.png.79d73d29ec106a0e929bbf56d17d4343.png

If I'm playing a big team away from home, or looking to close out the last 10 minutes of a tight match I may switch to the 'Away' variant of the tactic.

This reduces the mentality to Cautious and changes the pressing to regroup and hold shape.

I've found this works wonders to close out the game.

No shouts or OI's are used in the matches.

Due to the generic player roles, lots of players can be used in the relevant positions with standard attributes, I normally look to the following high-level in attributes for each position:

GK - One on Ones, Kicking

BPD - Heading, Tackling, Marking, Positioning, Passing, Technique, Pace

FB - Marking, Tackling, Crossing, Passing, Pace, Acceleration, Positioning

CM - Passing, Tackling, Off the ball, Positioning, Vision, Teamwork, Work Rate

W - Dribbling, Crossing, Pace, Acceleration

PF - Pace, Finishing, Composure, Dribbling

I would love some feedback on how this works out with your teams and any suggestions on how to improve.

Thanks for reading!!!

Sicosimatics Gengenpress Away.fmf Sicosimatics Gengenpress.fmf

I hope more people are trying this and just not posting (like I was until now! lol)

I don't have any screenshots to share right now, but my Poole Town team in the Championship (playing a 'dafuge' game, just not posting) are playing very nicely with this tactic.  I love the simplicity of it and it creating a solid, reliable tactic.  Thank you and I highly recommend it!

Have been able to log off of work and play a little FM since my post above.

Here are my results so far using this tactic.  Those last 4 fixtures were a murderers row of games as well.  The opposition were 5th, 3rd, 2nd and Nott'm Forest are runaway leaders of the Championship this year (we were a fantastic 2-0 up on Forest before they came at us HARD in the final 15, before emergency backup MC 35yr old Aaron Ramsey came off the bench and smashed the 90th minute winner in!).

442.thumb.PNG.657bf455b139ff5b0acaabe566b0e563.PNG

Very happy with how things are going and now climbing the table nicely.

Prior to this I was P26 W12 D2 L12 and sitting 16th.  Now 9th and 2 points off the play-offs.

Love this tactic!  Thank you

15 hours ago, Amazingortega said:

Will it work for a team in the premier league already like a top 4 team ? 

I've encountered difficulty using it for an elite team.

It still works well but you don't tend to get results like a lot of other elite tactics out there, this seems to work better for underdog teams.

Maybe someone could adapt the tactic for bigger teams, maybe go more attacking and play wider would help?

12 hours ago, Braumiller said:

Have been able to log off of work and play a little FM since my post above.

Here are my results so far using this tactic.  Those last 4 fixtures were a murderers row of games as well.  The opposition were 5th, 3rd, 2nd and Nott'm Forest are runaway leaders of the Championship this year (we were a fantastic 2-0 up on Forest before they came at us HARD in the final 15, before emergency backup MC 35yr old Aaron Ramsey came off the bench and smashed the 90th minute winner in!).

442.thumb.PNG.657bf455b139ff5b0acaabe566b0e563.PNG

Very happy with how things are going and now climbing the table nicely.

Prior to this I was P26 W12 D2 L12 and sitting 16th.  Now 9th and 2 points off the play-offs.

Love this tactic!  Thank you

Thanks for the feedback!

I'm very glad this is working for you. Please let me know how you go for the rest of the season and any adjustments you make?

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, sicosimatic said:

Thanks for the feedback!

I'm very glad this is working for you. Please let me know how you go for the rest of the season and any adjustments you make?

The end of the that season was rougher, not going to lie.  Although the vast majority of that was due to a threadbare squad (I was having to play my 18 year old GK who was Conference N/S quality in the Championship, along with others of similar quality) and they were jaded.  We finished strong, including the wildest last day of the season I have had in a long time.  Home to QPR, we are 10th and can finish 9th-11th, so no biggie to us.  They are one spot above relegation (Charlton), but 3 points and 7 Goal Diff better off, so 99.9% safe....  Charlton win 3-1 away and we just went nuts, winning 7-0 and condemning QPR to the harshest relegation I have witnessed.  Brutal.

Anyway, finally had a close season to reinforce and looking very nice again.  I am still very ropey in both full back positions, but happy with the rest of the first XI (I don't have the depth I would like, but hoping to avoid any bad injuries).  11 league games in and just the one 'one of those games'.  Currently top of a very competitive league and my main striker has 13 in 13.  Only change has been to import in all set pieces from a previous tactic (I forget which) - only 1 goal from a corner, but a healthy 4 from indirect free kicks.

Not bad for a team forecast to come 17th, with the 24th smallest stadium, 24th smallest wage bill and 23rd smallest sponsorship income :thup:

After a couple of squeaky bum finishes I tend to go to the 'away' tactic early in the 2nd half now if I get a 2 goal lead.  My young team (again, with sub par full backs) tends to get pegged back, but this has helped a lot.

2026.thumb.PNG.4048308af462d46f5435aa03b3128b49.PNG

(The friendly results were bananas - the 3-0 was a pure second string due to being forced on us and wedged in between the games I had already arranged)

Edited by Braumiller
8 hours ago, Braumiller said:

The end of the that season was rougher, not going to lie.  Although the vast majority of that was due to a threadbare squad (I was having to play my 18 year old GK who was Conference N/S quality in the Championship, along with others of similar quality) and they were jaded.  We finished strong, including the wildest last day of the season I have had in a long time.  Home to QPR, we are 10th and can finish 9th-11th, so no biggie to us.  They are one spot above relegation (Charlton), but 3 points and 7 Goal Diff better off, so 99.9% safe....  Charlton win 3-1 away and we just went nuts, winning 7-0 and condemning QPR to the harshest relegation I have witnessed.  Brutal.

Anyway, finally had a close season to reinforce and looking very nice again.  I am still very ropey in both full back positions, but happy with the rest of the first XI (I don't have the depth I would like, but hoping to avoid any bad injuries).  11 league games in and just the one 'one of those games'.  Currently top of a very competitive league and my main striker has 13 in 13.  Only change has been to import in all set pieces from a previous tactic (I forget which) - only 1 goal from a corner, but a healthy 4 from indirect free kicks.

Not bad for a team forecast to come 17th, with the 24th smallest stadium, 24th smallest wage bill and 23rd smallest sponsorship income :thup:

After a couple of squeaky bum finishes I tend to go to the 'away' tactic early in the 2nd half now if I get a 2 goal lead.  My young team (again, with sub par full backs) tends to get pegged back, but this has helped a lot.

2026.thumb.PNG.4048308af462d46f5435aa03b3128b49.PNG

(The friendly results were bananas - the 3-0 was a pure second string due to being forced on us and wedged in between the games I had already arranged)

I guess plugging in the tactic midway through a season can cause some rough results after a while due to unfamiliarity.

I really could do with sorting the set piece routines because at the moment I feel they are letting the tactic down a little, tend to concede a lot from corners and don't score many.

Looks like you're having a strong start to the new season though, loving the friendly results! I'm sure the strong start is due to the high moral from the pre season hammerings!

I'm currently testing an attacking version of the tactic for bigger teams who look to go on the offensive.

Good luck with the rest of the season, promotion beckons!!!

Updated tactic.

Shape and Team Instructions remain the same, only Player Roles have changed.

I've found this has given much better and more consistent results.

image.thumb.png.063bc7dfccc4dc75fcc9ec800d9b81b6.png

Below are the results with a range of different teams, different leagues and abilities:

Bradford PA - Vanarama National League North

Expected Position 19th

image.thumb.png.eb427101b8baee2762755c5479e4bad6.png

image.thumb.png.441e54f3000ca64ca7a06bd1a1f3d801.png

image.thumb.png.71232dd6ac48e2a7e6d78bdbc609c602.png

image.thumb.png.9a699377b371b8458a9692daddea4f5d.png

Sassuolo - Italian Serie A

Expected Position 11th

image.thumb.png.846a94293997490390fc0849f6255c9a.png

image.thumb.png.1509ebb913863a7a33a60e9eafd40b08.png

image.thumb.png.cc76bd3121fc0f9a33493fc02c46ef75.png

image.thumb.png.72d54de4f4938d42bc4aa228d999ece3.png

Currently trying this with Arsenal in the Prem.

Will update results/screenshots later.

Not an amazing season with Arsenal, solid I would say.

Media prediction was 5th, managed to finish 3rd behind Liverpool and City but did pick up the UEFA Cup in the process.

image.thumb.png.6ae8f45c3657e4663722af670493f286.png

image.thumb.png.1a8a55337849a1ffa368648604371287.png

image.thumb.png.7b65e28d42a59c5e21387ff184b747be.png

image.thumb.png.8034c9685c7db1583e0e7f0f21eb2f62.png