Time to complete a season

This is the first FM I have played since 2012 so I knew it would take me a while to get used to it and figure out all the new elements. 

Just entered July at start of second season and it took me 28 hours. Not sure how much of that was getting to know the game again but assume 10+ hours was down to that  but obviously can't keep up that sort of time for a season so was just looking to see how long it takes others. 

Im reasonable for hiring and firing staff, buying players (although usually let Daniel Levy do the contracts) organising training (although I use schedules) etc so I pretty much control most things which is probably a reasonable part of it.

Assume playing touch is a lot quicker but not sure I could handle giving up that much control. 

It depends really, the first season often takes the longest time for me. When I've found a tactic that works and have a good squad I can work with for a while, I don't scout that much and don't tinker much. So then the seasons fly by much faster.

Can sometimes take me a month to complete a season.  It's about a week at the moment with only working part time due to the pandemic.  That said like many on here family commitments take a toll.  In terms of real time we're looking at 3 hours a day or thereabouts so about 20 to 25 hours

The real time bandit for me is clicking through all the events in between games. There are just way too many news items to click through, and on most matchdays you have to click through a game that starts early, then a mid-day match, and an evening match. There doesn't seem to be a way to just click through all of them just once. 

1 minute ago, Norfair said:

The real time bandit for me is clicking through all the events in between games. There are just way too many news items to click through, and on most matchdays you have to click through a game that starts early, then a mid-day match, and an evening match. There doesn't seem to be a way to just click through all of them just once. 

Agree. 

The amount of news items is way big. 

I have add continuous game in preferences around 2 seconds to avoid all the no sense clicks. 

1 hour ago, Norfair said:

I’m glad I’m not the only one that thinks this. Once I’ve set training and the transfer deadline has passed I don’t understand why in a week the game still seems to stop 4 or 5 times for something. I wish it could speed up a bit. My laptop is reasonably quick. But it just feels quite stop starting a lot of the time. 

Sorry should have said I also have 2 leagues going, Spain & England. 

Looks like the time it took me is standard enough so. Probably will be able to do it in maybe 20-22 hours but thats still a good bit of time. 

Wonder what the average is on touch assume could reduce it down by about a 1/3. 

What are people getting news items for? 90% of stuff can be customized.

Too much scouting related stuff? 

navigate to  scouting>filter>advanced filter  and toggle some of the options off.  I'm playing the youth academy challenge so I turn everything off

image.thumb.png.a0c12bbfe36384ae7b89648851c94a56.png

Too much news about leagues you don't care about?

Turn off all or some subscriptions Inbox>Social feed>Manage

For those that don't know, if you type process into preferences you get the 3 options below

image.thumb.png.4e0e6fab33560762049725db4b10d1ab.png

Too much clicking?  Let the computer do it for you. As mentioned above the 2 second timeout is great changed FM for me i'd say I get 3 seasons done in the time it took to do 2 and it can still be inturrupted when you want it to stop

Stopping too often?  There's a tickbox to "increase the duration of processing breaks for fewer breaks in play"

Stopping for matches all day? Schedule matches to kick off at the same time on Sat/Wed so they process at the same time as you're playing, this doesn't effect matches being televised, they just don't get moved.  Obviously this may compromise realism for some

edit -

Hope this helps someone.  Some of these are a bit hidden away and there may well be more

Edited by Brother Ben

1 hour ago, sidford said:

Definitely.  I play touch for online play.  It took some convincing the others that it wasn't FM Mobile but once one of my mates had tried it he plays it exclusively now because he can get through a season quicker.  As mentioned elsewhere there is an unwarranted stigma attached to Touch and it shouldn't be the case.

A lot of people who are unhappy about speed would really enjoy touch but won't because they feel like they may miss out on stuff which is a shame because they are fundamentally very similar

2 hours ago, sidford said:

Sorry should have said I also have 2 leagues going, Spain & England. 

Looks like the time it took me is standard enough so. Probably will be able to do it in maybe 20-22 hours but thats still a good bit of time. 

Did a season with Ajax this past week on Touch. Around 9 hours of playtime, no instant result, all games on key highlights, won the cup and league and reached the first knockout round of the CL.

Loaded all leagues in Holland, Belgium, England, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Germany, Russia, France, Ukraine and Turkey with a large database of approximately 49,300 players. 3 star rating for my laptop.

Edited by rafaelbenitez

2 hours ago, Brother Ben said:

What are people getting news items for? 90% of stuff can be customized.

Too much scouting related stuff? 

navigate to  scouting>filter>advanced filter  and toggle some of the options off.  I'm playing the youth academy challenge so I turn everything off

image.thumb.png.a0c12bbfe36384ae7b89648851c94a56.png

Too much news about leagues you don't care about?

Turn off all or some subscriptions Inbox>Social feed>Manage

For those that don't know, if you type process into preferences you get the 3 options below

image.thumb.png.4e0e6fab33560762049725db4b10d1ab.png

Too much clicking?  Let the computer do it for you. As mentioned above the 2 second timeout is great changed FM for me i'd say I get 3 seasons done in the time it took to do 2 and it can still be inturrupted when you want it to stop

Stopping too often?  There's a tickbox to "increase the duration of processing breaks for fewer breaks in play"

Stopping for matches all day? Schedule matches to kick off at the same time on Sat/Wed so they process at the same time as you're playing, this doesn't effect matches being televised, they just don't get moved.  Obviously this may compromise realism for some

edit -

Hope this helps someone.  Some of these are a bit hidden away and there may well be more

I have done this, but a lot of news coming. We must have more control for this. 

I am end up to go in holiday for next match to avoid many things. 

55 minutes ago, Cadoni said:

I have done this, but a lot of news coming. We must have more control for this. 

I am end up to go in holiday for next match to avoid many things. 

Just do instant for timeout 

it’s the same thing but you won’t miss really important stuff

what kind of news are you getting?

another thing to try is preferences>screen flow and there’s a tick box that says something to the effect of automatically visit news screen. Untick this

let me know if it helps

5 hours ago, Norfair said:

The real time bandit for me is clicking through all the events in between games.

What I started doing recently in my LLM save, is holidaying in-between matches and then just going through all the items at once. Might take away some immersion, but you can blast through seasons. And honestly, you don't really miss that much, once you schedule training a few months in advance, there's not much else to do anyway. Missing player interactions was my biggest worry, but you can always deal with them a few days later, should you get an unhappy player (Dynamics/Interaction menu).

Alternatively, Continue Game Timeout does the job too, but holidaying is slightly faster.

27 minutes ago, Brother Ben said:

Just do instant for timeout 

it’s the same thing but you won’t miss really important stuff

what kind of news are you getting?

another thing to try is preferences>screen flow and there’s a tick box that says something to the effect of automatically visit news screen. Untick this

let me know if it helps

I will check that later this day. 

Thanks 

• 2 weeks later...

Neither. I play full matches. I started a new save at the beginning of April. I've been playing a little bit most days and I'm currently 8 games into my first season. I did spend quite a bit of time early doors doing editor stuff rather than playing FM though. 

Well, when starting to manage a new team, that's like 5 hours right there. Examining everyone, making a new tactics, firing awful staff, and bringing in new, setting up responsibilities and training, etc. After that, perhaps an hour to hour and a half per game. Since seasons vary by match count, you can probably extrapolate. I tend to do a fair bit of match analysis and direct management in the meantime. Add in 10-20 hours per season of scouting if I take a direct role (and I usually do), and you're looking at 60-80 hours per season.