• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Transfer

88f73c0ec6c94fd18efb6f63d0669add.png

cc91d95a0db594edf55b99103bc937ad.png

8f762d1acbf3fe6d8455fce07728b5e4.png

Keeping that conveyor belt moving. Ronaldao has developed really well, although doesn't work as hard as I'd want and his game is all about pace. I get £40m up front with £20m over two years and, importantly, 50% of any next sale, not profit.

He'll get plenty of football at a decent Valencia side and hopefully can continue and push himself into Brazil senior team contention.

---

As you can now imagine - there is literally no need for these player sales but to continue the hard work we are doing by opening more spaces for new players to get to the first team:

db5804a5b07ae18565a97fa921ac5b85.png

2 hours ago, Sonic Youth said:

What’s your player sales up to now?

Here is my top 15 sales:

4fcaa124122e9d34d0c58e69b9f05ccb.png

Nearly raised half a billion pound in transfer fees. Utterly absurd!

2 hours ago, Sonic Youth said:

I thought it interesting that you think a CB is your third best player. I thought you might have chosen your FB chief assister.

love Geilton:

7ba2a9ea5b7705e234fadcc2e2949581.png

He's had a hand in 240 goals (56 goals and 184 assists) in his 490 league games - which is insane. However - he's not one of my better players these days. He plays simply because he, in my eyes, is a legend, and is very good at what he does but he's not anywhere near international recognition, sadly.

2038 Mid point (ish) review

75df496f517f7995e27f9f1a45ac0af6.png

Firstly - I've sorted this by average points rather than overall points due to the differences in games for the majority of the teams.

We have really not made a particularly good attempt at defending our title - largely due to some very poor defensive performances, as seen below:

afed54ce8c5e166d8bda63c715364af1.png

Teams are sitting back and hitting us a lot more on the counter this year, probably in reaction to our raised status in the game and the fact that they sense a giant killing. We are only six points off the top and there is a lot of football to be played but we are in a poor position.

---

My biggest problem is below, though. I found someone on twitter who had posted a chart similar to this and found it was extremely useful at demonstrating my point.

a24df644ff798f40f9cfe58dead74046.png

I have compared the players age to the minutes they have played this season. As you can see - there is a big spread here with Pacato leading with 3370 minutes to date. We have Ernani, who is having a real breakthrough season and Giovanni and Biondo, who are prospects (the former as backup to Antonio Jose and the latter as a replacement for Ronaldao and there is a clear show of who my 'best' players are - Joao Fernando, Pacato, Leozao, Geilton and Christian - who are in their peak.

However, my problem comes from the three older players, Pereira Santos, Pacheco and Dinamite who are in the peak of their careers, at 29 and 30, but aren't good enough for first team football. We are very solid financially, but combined, they take home £53k p/w and have made just 1900 combined minutes, less than 11 of the team. However - they occupy first team slots and are probably taking away chances from developing younger players.

I really don't want to recruit from outside the club at this time so my job for the next few months is to identify players who I feel could take the place of these three over the next years.

Posted (edited)

Geilton: Forward planning

0ba3f939fa5e0e2a1dcd5e28a3c07fbc.png

2dcc2b41f01e7217664b2b3a2eacb41c.png

Geilton is a key player for us and has been for the past twelve years or so. However, he turns 30 this year and, given his long career, which stands at 663 games to date, I worry that his legs will go pretty soon, making him unsuitable for the offensive WB(a) that I play but I want him to stay on for as long as he can.

Therefore, I think that he'd be more suitable as a DM(s) on the right hand side of a two. Below is his suitability for that role, based on his key attributes:

d194b6e6cfb6a69b1fc30a0fdac365b9.png

His game will rely less on his acceleration/pace and more on his stamina, which, right now, is great. It'll also allow his pretty solid playmaking ability (passing/vision/decisions) to come into play and, when playing along side a ball winner, could even become a bit of a regista type player given his good passing range and intelligence.

He'll start retraining and playing there now, freeing up a spot for Jose Esdras and potentially filling that issue slot that Rodrigo Dinamite currently holds.

EDIT:

A solid start...

1cb2a91e33a5722997d8972280fcb56a.png

Edited by _Ben_

A game to sum up our season

cb00fb908cffd11215b17e30199f0068.png

We race into a lead and everything is going swimmingly - yet we literally do not turn up for the last half an hour with Mineiro absolutely battering us. We gain some composure but then concede two stupid goals.

Posted (edited)

2038 Youth Intake

b5617b20f8101a15547a4a2dbf6bd5fd.png

LuchoErickViniciusRodrigo FeriaClei.

---

I really like this intake and there are several players who really can impact the first team.

Firstly, I like the look of Lucho as he's got double figures in all of my 'key attributes' and is a 6' defender who is brave. His technical side isn't too bad and that'll hopefully come with age. Next is Erick, who is listed as a WTM, a role I've rarely seen but one that actually would work within my tactic and one I can build on. He works hard and is right footed so, ideally, would drift in from the left hand side in the IF(a) role and then be a really good threat at the back post from crosses from the WB(a). His finishing does need work though. Vinicuis has a nice attribute spread in the AM role and Rodrigo Feria has similar for the DM role, paired with a great personality. I put Clei into my Excel development tracker that I use time to time as I wasn't too sure on where I think he'd play as he lacks the crossing, dribbling and pace for a wing back role. His height, positioning, bravery and marking mean that I agree with what the tracker says and move him to play in the DM strata.

I'll sign them all up and see how they get on!

---

EDIT:

They seem to have bedded in well:

5d6bbe208c9e9735baa830105c4bacbc.png

Edited by _Ben_

Can we do it?!

4b45e38c08d784d489537c573ac124c4.png

I posted that we were struggling at the midway point. Here has been our form since...

7f6a9c704ff9fe468a1ae4d431933f5d.png

Our rise up the table is now coinciding with Palmeiras' stuttering run of form. I wouldn't bet against us.

5 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

Geilton: Forward planning

0ba3f939fa5e0e2a1dcd5e28a3c07fbc.png

2dcc2b41f01e7217664b2b3a2eacb41c.png

Geilton is a key player for us and has been for the past twelve years or so. However, he turns 30 this year and, given his long career, which stands at 663 games to date, I worry that his legs will go pretty soon, making him unsuitable for the offensive WB(a) that I play but I want him to stay on for as long as he can.

Therefore, I think that he'd be more suitable as a DM(s) on the right hand side of a two. Below is his suitability for that role, based on his key attributes:

d194b6e6cfb6a69b1fc30a0fdac365b9.png

His game will rely less on his acceleration/pace and more on his stamina, which, right now, is great. It'll also allow his pretty solid playmaking ability (passing/vision/decisions) to come into play and, when playing along side a ball winner, could even become a bit of a regista type player given his good passing range and intelligence.

He'll start retraining and playing there now, freeing up a spot for Jose Esdras and potentially filling that issue slot that Rodrigo Dinamite currently holds.

EDIT:

A solid start...

1cb2a91e33a5722997d8972280fcb56a.png

I am a huge fan of the Lahm-ification of Geilton.

On 19/08/2020 at 23:16, bibird. said:

I am a huge fan of the Lahm-ification of Geilton.

You make it sound like some kind of surgical procedure!

Posted (edited)

2038 Copa Liberdatores

c475a034c17ddd8647497692e3d58097.png

Two times in three years, with a final defeat last year, shows how strong we are now. 

I fully understand that the Argentine clubs aren't as strong as they could be because I haven't got the league loaded, but the Brazilian clubs are just head and shoulders above the rest with Boca the only non-Brazilian finalist since Nacional, of Uruguay, did so in 2024 and surprise package Millionarios won it back in 2020.

However, this final was a classic:

51fbde6d5a7f8d95c90b8d7df82633fc.png

23 shots on target across the game with six goals shared in an end to end game. However, it was the penalty shootout that both set this game apart and really didn't do my health any good...

ee0c300896865326b2abeadf401d5192.png

We ended 12-11 winners with both goalkeepers scoring and poor old Joao Guilherme missing both of his penalties! I must say though, however, it's no less than we deserved with our players winning the majority of the awards.

Edited by _Ben_

Last day...

76cb987ecf388e002fe005a9e85fc019.png

We host 19th placed Mineiro, whilst Palmeiras travel to Santos. A win is enough for us if Verdao get nothing from their game...

2038 End of Season

9a54047ae26e4a5279981530b682101c.png

Wow! 9th place at the half way point with our Liberdatores form pretty much the only thing keeping my job secure, to throwing away three points in game week 34 and being four behind Palmeiras, to going into the last game of the season with a feint chance of being crowned victors, to this!

Santos destroyed them 3-0 and we comfortably beat Mineiro meaning we take the title on our vastly superior goal difference.

To be fair - the league wide statistics show our players to be superior and we have absolutely cleared up the awards ceremonies but it was a really poor start to the campaign that put this in jeopardy.

---

769d199a3d72fa014dd2447503e8082b.png

Some absolutely wonderful performances from a variety of players - Joao with a great scoring record but Antonio Jose chipping in with nearly thirty too, Geilton with a hand in 37 goals, Luis Henrique with the best AR in league football and Ernani properly announcing himself on the scene as a class full back.

f6fa41b8fc8fc3beb06175fba36a8fb0.png

One more year should be enough for Joao to break not only Roberto DInamite's Brasiliero record (remember that it wasn't formed when Pele played as most of his goals were in State Champs and Artur Freindenrich has little data available given the time he played) and league tally too, making him the best domestic based Brazilian of all time (again, lots of Romario's goals were scored outside of Brazil).

It will be a humongous achievement to reach this.

---

e3c0aaec7a55c6c307c76b247f9d8e4a.png

The new stadium is here and it named after m....

...not me...

Jaja is a great and was influential in our rise to Serie A. However, the real thing that he'll be remembered for is being a Model Professional and really kicking off the mentoring process for me, which is now self sustainable and really well ran. He may have only played 194 games for the club but I'll settle for it...

53b6963921eb7cd1612872f0e500d65e.png

---

35525ba244c43e8209d254c9df1394de.png

Pacheco, now 30, has finally received his call up however, I made the decision to sell him so he'll be playing for Young Boys in Switzerland when he travels to the Asian Cup. However - he's the first non Brazilian that has received full international recognition since a lad called Beto about 10 years ago, when he was surprisingly called up to an (all grey player) Japan team at the age of about 17. 

---

cba7757e8da965199537c940cef85a76.png

Not sure what there is left to do now other than break the goalscoring record and see if I can push the player sales past £500m.

We'll see where this save goes...

Reunited

bd1c63e3effb0f5f1d8d0c2ef8a8cc11.png

For some reason his face has gone missing but he's back.

Makes me remember that I never did give him that 300th game...

5 hours ago, Sonic Youth said:

Joao Fernando and Geiltan are so awesome :)

After next season, I imagine you’ll have a couple of tough decisions to make.

I agree, on both fronts! We'll see how this season plays out though, first.

Player Sale

fe78f723cb702f14532d106fee1ccc10.png

0c7e6dc35c40940e008d5fd2b22b0e7d.png

Sad to see Pacheco leave as he has really exemplified what this game has been about for me - developing the player to be the single best version that they can be. He was one that, despite the perceived potential when he joined, had a poor attribute balance but wasn't given up on. The £4.5m I sold him for is irrelevant but his legacy will live on.

This is a such a fantastic save, I imagine it will be hugely satisfying to see Joao Fernando cement his place in Brazilian league folklore when he finally gets that record!

On 25/08/2020 at 10:40, ARodgers said:

This is a such a fantastic save, I imagine it will be hugely satisfying to see Joao Fernando cement his place in Brazilian league folklore when he finally gets that record!

It certainly will be! However, there is a little twist in this tale...

14 hours ago, Fosse said:

Have you had many bids for Fernando? I can't remember reading about any

Loads!

We get a bid of £10m flat from Man City each week and have done for the last five years. They won't budge on that at all. He's never been unsettled by it but you can tell exactly why they're doing it!

Records

At this point, I was hoping to have a list of the record Brasiliero appearance-makers and goalscorers but since FM combines the state league and the national league, this is very tough. I have no historic record of my own players' appearances, differentiated between those competitions, let alone those from other teams. I know that, for example, Geilton has 515 league appearances to his name, but we've played over 200 state games, including finals and the like - so I failed on this.

What I have also found is that Brazilian players are certainly not loyal and move around, often to their 'rivals' across their career. 

Never the less, here is the one record list that I could compile:

da5a81207d617c043c804314171e1798.png

Joao Fernando is just two goals away from being the leading Brasiliero scorer of all time.

Fred played the 2019 season for Cruzeiro and netted 14 times but all of the other players finished their career's long before this game kicked off, except one. I knew he was scoring well but I didn't realise that Thierry was quite that lethal. I can see that he has 246 overall league goals but I had to trawl through all of the league records to remove state goals to leave him with 188 Brasileiro goals - just one shy of Joao Fernando and just three shy of taking the record himself.

Whilst certainly not at the level of Messi vs Ronaldo - my game is witnessing two of the three all time top scorers battling it out against each other with an awful lot of similarities to the two elite players of today:

• My Joao Fernando has age on his side and four years younger but has battled injuries for a few years.
  • Palmeiras' Thierry is hugely underused in the state league with only 58 total goals in his thirteen years - compared to the 133 for Joao - so there is the age old argument (again) about who has scored against better opposition.
  • Joao Fernando is far less of an out-and-out forward that Thierry.

--

So the plan is now to not only beat Roberto Dinamite's record but also stay ahead of Thierry!

Affiliate scheme

I have gone a little mad with the development of this but, if nothing else, it may give us some different opposition in the state championships. Below is our new affiliate list:

4a6d40e8c59a740921e515c3e139d80e.png

Clockwise:

• Barcelona (RJ)
  • Barra Mansa
  • Boavista (RJ)
  • Duque de Caxias
  • Juventus (RJ)
  • Perolas Negras
  • Belford Roxo
  • Portuguesa
  • Sao Cristovao 1898 (RJ) 

---

As you can see, we've brought out a lot of the clubs with the intent that they share facilities with us, in order for them to produce better players (importantly - not for our own gain). With Duque in a playable league, I'd like them to become the sixth team (behind the five Serie A clubs: Volta, Flamengo, Fluminense, Vasco and Botafogo) as well as climb the pyramid themselves. I would also like to see Serie D sides Portuguese and Boavista reach the playable leagues and do the same. As I don't have Serie D loaded - it is really unlikely that any of the divisoes inferiores (referring to any level below Serie D) sides will make the playable leagues but they can, and have, qualified for the top tier (the only one loaded and modelled in the game) of the state championship - giving them competitive football. 

For reference - the Serie D and C clubs are in the second stage of the state championship this year, Belford Roxo reached the first stage (and survived) and Perolas Negras were sadly relegated to the second tier of the competition.

---

Madureira and Bangu are also Serie D sides who are competing in this second phase so there is potential to own them too, in order to attempt to develop the state's clubs across in the bigger, national, picture.

More on the Carioca State Championship

I must say that @Mrt90's file is way more in depth that I can find, in English, about the lower tiers of the state championships in Rio state. Here are the starting teams for the 2020 Championships:

---

Carioca Serie A

4a9a16c78460d7b275122af572743f37.png

We've reverted to the three letter names but here you see the big four plus Volta and a few familiar faces in the competitions in my game.

---

Carioca Serie B

e9b45114e8fdd4253f44d2aea964a102.png

Here is where Duque de Caxias start and we've also seen Bonsucesso reach the first phase of the (modelled) state champs in my game - but I haven't seen any other teams from this level.

---

Carioca Third Tier

8317cecf863a8e5fa55f7e99162aba91.png

My affiliates Barcelona, Barra Mansa and Perolas Negras are in this tier and the latter two have made the first stage (and second for Perolas Negras) on a few occasions, which, in the grand scheme of 'reputation based promotions from inactive leagues' is really good going.

Campo Grande have a Serie B title and play in a 22,000 seat stadium, whilst Tigres do Brasil are from Duque de Caxias and, apparently, are their rivals.

---

Carioca Fourth Tier

e11b8671f9c6090cce3c63c6e2a584c4.png

We're talking tiny clubs here - three promotions just to be considered for Serie D, which then means you need three promotions to reach Serie A! 

Atletico Carioca play in a 20,000 seat stadium and Sao Cristovao, my affiliate, play at the Estadio Ronaldo Luiz Nazario de Lima - which is incredible.

---

I'll take this information back to my own game and see how many of these clubs have been added to the database by the editor - if not, I feel my affiliate scheme may be growing!

International recognition

9b9d7b3a3ef508f8c719b9f5b57f934c.png

Joao Fernando did not feature but new caps for Ernani (19 years old) and Orlandelli (21 years old) as the new manager is clearly casting his eye to the future. I turned the job down a couple of months ago, as, sadly, international management is a bore on FM!

Player development: Papel

20270157c57e4ee0084c992a7997e91f.png

d7956e95202a149e31cac07a1fe53078.png

I didn't give him a face when he generated so he clearly was not rated too highly (EDIT: in fact - he came through in 2036 with 1.5* Gold PA and 1* black PA) but has, since then, come on leaps and bounds - moving from Pro to M.Citizen also - presuming that this is a Determination thing as he has risen to 14 from 12.

Attribute wise, he's developing nicely too:

e611134d359b78190df8744dec6045e2.png

A little lacking in technique and passing but, if played alongside a true ball player, he'd get by. 

What I do like is that 1.5/2,5* PA has now risen to 3.5/4.5* and he's now listed as 'Promising.'

---

My loan manager managed to get him a deal at Leganes, in La Liga. They are predicted 19th out of 20, but this is a playable league and they are managed by Kylian Mbappe who does work well with youngsters. Less of an issue for DC's but he also fits into the formation and his style of Fluid Counter Attack not only fits our own, roughly, but also means there'll probably be less emphasis on him playing out from the back. What is more - as a poor side, he'll have a lot to do!

In his 7(0) games to date, he's registered a 77% pass completion (unimportant) and is completing 15.71 passes per game - which shows Mbappe's style! He's winning 3.43 tackles a game, which is 77% of those attempted (compare that to my two best defenders - Pacato: 75% and Orlandelli: 94% against much weaker overall opposition) and that isn't too bad. Sadly, and to be expected in a team sat rock bottom of La Liga with just eight games to play - his AR variability is between 6.2 and 7.3 with an average of just 6.61.

If nothing else - this year has been his breakthrough and I would consider another loan move to a team whereby he'll be able to, hopefully, get better ratings and, as such, develop 'more.'

---

I do love an 'under the radar' type player like him!

Player Sale

c19d52d3573f5bee19d3f6ea80279d46.png

23794a097e857cea5492079f8ba97c1f.png

Not somebody you'd know but Kerlin has just moved to Vitoria for £3.4m. He's not a special player by any means and I think they've overpaid, considering he's valued at £1.7m now but is now considered a regular starter in Serie B.

I only actually did this post because I'd noticed his name on the intake report when looking for information on Papel, above. Here is the bottom five player rated by PA on intake day:

ad9f4ac63637a73588261eb5ca6dd0ee.png

So, as you can see - he's predicted to be the worst player of the intake with just 0.5* gold PA with a further 1* black.

However, I kept him based on his age (I have something to show in regards to this) as well as his personality and decent Determination level and whilst I personally don't need the money - I know some managers and some clubs who would find £3.4m career changing!

Posted (edited)

Hot-shots

It's early season and some of the opposition isn't strong - but this is a promising start for my four forward options:

6672b93a9d5d16ae8353d5e23dc3c304.png

EDIT: Whilst Joao Fernando's record is weaker than it has been usually at this point of the season - he's scored 9 times in the Carioca State but is scoreless in three Liberdatores ties, one Supercopa do Brasil tie and scored his other in the first leg of the Recopa Sudamerica.

Edited by _Ben_

2039 Carioca State review

36d7b040ca877d4ab3b551f94cf80940.png

Another year, another win.

We have been far less dominant in front of goal this time though, finishing thirteen goals shy of our best ever season. Even with the finals, we are still someway from breaking Flamengo's record of 54 goals in this competition, set back in 2030.

We actually lost the Taca Rio (first turn) final against Flamengo but roared back to beat them in the Taca Guanabara (second turn) final before another Joao Fernando masterclass as we scraped past them, once again, in the grand final. Amazingly, that is our 84th meeting with Flamengo in just nineteen seasons in this save.

77be05835059d12965f7b78289043cf2.png

Trophy Cabinet

This save has always been about developing the player over the success of the team but we've still managed quite the haul!

318348f8d6d9e5b78dc456987e0e7751.png

---

And I, as a manager, have done pretty well:

165e6a060c3c215a2310f70ecee0135e.png

I am also chasing two now-retired managers to be the best ever manager in Brazil:

d00c6028c17b8503d2e0fc9a724347c1.png

The next active manager is 72 year old Vagner Mancini of Flamengo, down in sixth place and on 993 Hall of Fame Points. However, when considering nationality (and not nation of management) Vagner is ahead of me due to the 2036 Copa America he won with Brazil. I don't necessarily consider that a target as I won't be managing Brazil unless I have a serious change of heart in this game.

Brilliant thread, really great stuff. It's been a joy to read and very informative. I'm wondering what your thinking is on the debate of signing all youth intakes or not. I prefer to have manageable squad sizes rather that immense amounts of players, but you clearly value having a large data set. How does this factor into your intake day decisions?

19 hours ago, anxiousAnarchist said:

Brilliant thread, really great stuff. It's been a joy to read and very informative. I'm wondering what your thinking is on the debate of signing all youth intakes or not. I prefer to have manageable squad sizes rather that immense amounts of players, but you clearly value having a large data set. How does this factor into your intake day decisions?

Thank you very much!

only have 44 players at the club at the moment:

d9d530b661422ec36ec594f854f81b68.png

9aeb09031cacd7b86eb2f4a2e2178b5f.png

ae81db564bd7af26f00e4f6dd6dc9c23.png

Admittedly, that is because we've had a few weaker intakes combined with a few sprees of selling off those 20 year old players who I have now decided will not make it.

---

I think, to answer your question though, I kind of following this thinking:

• Discard any really poor players - e.g. 0.5* PA, with >5 Det and poor personality (casual, fickle, low self belief, low determination) - this is normally 1/2 players per intake
  • Allow all players to spend a couple of years at the club. Being as we already have a really strong infrastructure as you can see in the first team with personalities/determination - the general pull of the squad makes the players increase naturally. I don't (and can't find a way to but I know some have) mentor youth and reserve teams.
  • My promising players spend the first four months of each season in the first team to enable them to play in the State Champs - they also enter mentoring groups at that point so have an extra boost.
  • Anyone who hasn't made any real improvements by 17/18 (and I'm looking at the likes of Andre Luis from my youth squad here) will leave but I don't force anyone out - especially as Brazil uses U20 squads so they don't become ineligible or anything.
  • At the age of 20/21, those who aren't going to make it are sold off, but that is normally after a loan spell whereby they have their 'last chance' to impress. I am normally left with five or six players here (out of 16 who start, 1/2 are disposed off at the start, 3/4 at around 18, three to four making the first team ideally) who are then moved on. Looking at my squad, Roger and Viana are the two in that boat at the moment.

This is very much fluid and it does help that in Brazil, players come through ranging from 15-17, so it's not always that continuous thing every year as some people are at the club three years before they reach 20 and some are at the club for 5 years.

---

Hope that was the kind of answer you were after! Let me know if not...

Posted (edited)

Moving players 'back'

I have an obsession with having players all over the pitch who are comfortable playing football and one of the ways I like to do this is by 'moving players backwards' - i.e. moving them further away from the opposition goal but retaining their technical ability. I was just having a look through my squad and here are a few examples that I've found:

6ab6e964456e53b4082b4a04e1ea71ba.png

None of these players (maybe Vinicius aside) have any real hope of making our first team but I think it makes a player way more rounded and sellable, plus, it's fun!

I like wingers who are able to play as wing backs, considering that the roles, in modern football, are so similar. I'd normally look at a cut off of five in some defensive areas as a starting point, as you can see below with Adalto Amorim's attributes:

6d25cc0d39d95230b5c6970ab8e4f4f5.png

<5 in heading and tackling and >5 in marking and positioning but a decent crossing, dribbling, technique and overall physical ability - far more important for my full backs as we are a team who attacks a lot and are, overall, normally stronger than the opposition. Maybe I'd refrain from trying to convert him if we were relegation candidates, but we aren't - it's always interesting to see how the AI uses him when/if he moves on, too.

I also like players over 6 foot tall with any kind of ball playing ability to retrain as centre backs (Orlandelli is my best example of that) and those DMs who aren't as tall to move to inverted/normal wing backs (Christian is my best first team example of this). Playmaking AMs, such as Luis Henrique move back to become deep lying playmakers (especially as his finishing isn't too strong) and I've even gone with the 'Dion Dublin' of converting tall centre forward Adilo to a centre back and a bit of a **** kicker role!

--

Doing it at a young age with a low threshold for your cut off - as seen by the development that Giovanni has made (not changed position but showing how much something can be improved):

8b8188922bfc09edaca52ecde336107e.png

I think I can turn a full back with poor tackling and positioning into someone with at least decent attributes in those areas. Plus, it gives me a very versatile squad:

572ab8032640f29057e9b64d2e22675a.png

What are the differences here?

• I'd use Team A (left) to utilise a small attacker (Dinamite is smaller than 6') but a physical AM as Pereira Santos is a good ball winner. I'd use Geilton against a really offensive left wing back and Joao Francisco could make a good false nine if the opposition are playing a bit deeper and we need to find space. Biondo at right back is a good playmaker which assists with the loss I make playing Geilton further forward.
  • I'd use Team B (middle) when playing against a real open side as there are six playmakers (Dinamite, DMs and AMs) so we'd be able to create a lot of chances.
  • I'd use Team C (right) against a strong centre back pairing but a team with no DMs as Cleber's clever movement as a F9 could move them out of space to allow Joao Fernando in to goalscoring areas. Henrique out wide is a good playamking opportunity and a great chance to link up with Joao Francisco, who is also a natural playmaker. Some mettle in the DM role with Christian and one playmaking DC and one 'regular' DC gives some balance.

This is not even my whole team nor my best players but it's something I insist on as a squad develops. I haven't even touched on changing the actual shape (something I've very much neglected) here nor roles and how different players play the same role...

Edited by _Ben_
Posted (edited)

Incoming transfers

8692244ac7cdf4153dac5b0ed5ed2d4b.png

43ddd28495de32334a6293d60dcbda3b.png

Luis is a real demonstration that we mean business and we are now a big club, able to attract top players back from Europe whilst still at their peak. As you can see below, Luis was produced by our academy but was poached by Botafogo before he came through our intake:

51acd902f573673e48c065c4d2ef6977.png

He's gone on to have a fantastic career and is a snip on a free transfer after his Tottenham contract expired. I had to give him 'Star Player' assurances and, even if I don't like necessarily bending the realism of this, he'll definitely get plenty of minutes.

---

5f50a0723695a2159ccb334c2501cc6c.png

72272c63fb9e30c4bbc7aeebe4618f38.png

Vini has really stagnated at Man Utd, with only 11 league games in five years but we bring him back for £6m (£1m less than we sold him for) but that does actually make him my record transfer, beating the man he's probably replacing (Rodrigo Dinamite, but more on that in another post). He was always someone who was though to have a lot of potential and I'm hoping that he can now really kick on and reach that, being back at a club who actually care about his development.

---

I'm happy to get these two over the line and keep up the idea of signing only players who my club have produced, even after the have moved on before.

Edited by _Ben_

Some nice transfers there. No team stands a chance in Brazil and on the continent.

The information is interesting, and the bit I noticed with the golden streak of stats down the Det column! Need some shades for that :cool:

Plus, the others all in double figures. Speaks volumes to the training going on.

So basically, you'll become the top coach, Fernando will top the scoring chart but not leave (at least until Thierry moves on) and then FM21 comes out :lock:

12 hours ago, Sonic Youth said:

Some nice transfers there. No team stands a chance in Brazil and on the continent.

The information is interesting, and the bit I noticed with the golden streak of stats down the Det column! Need some shades for that :cool:

Plus, the others all in double figures. Speaks volumes to the training going on.

So basically, you'll become the top coach, Fernando will top the scoring chart but not leave (at least until Thierry moves on) and then FM21 comes out :lock:

Thank you!

We are probably the strongest team on the continent now and with the 2041 Club World Cup not too far away - it'll certainly be a good chance to see if we are the best in the world.

As for the Determination - yes, it's been a hard slog! However, now we've reached that level it does become pretty self sustainable, which is great.

My playing time has drastically reduced as I've gone back to work so hopefully I can achieve those things as well as the 2041 CWC before the FM21 beta, yes!

Player Sale

8c991dbdf4360ad5001ef0134c64c91b.png

3d40d354490a9be4c179b7ab2e17ced0.png

I don't think Rodrigo will get a huge amount of football but he's finally got his move to Spain, in a deal that cost Sevilla £3.5m. A loyal servant over two spells who, when you think back, was the catalyst of a lot of my success following his £8m move to China way back in 2028 - he will be missed!

Windows strikes again...

Not had chance to load the game for a while but it seems we're back in April, not mid-July thanks to some great Windows updates that I remember having no choice but to install...

I'll attempt to get the same players in (and out) again and try and catch up. Not happy though.

Catch up

Ok, I'm back to 1st July 2039:

498a2bb5e51adf22bd6e0c8b97aac057.png

Nothing is different, except that I wasn't able to persuade Luis Claudio or Vini to the club and I, as of yet, haven't sold Rodrigo Dinamite.

My intake preview was also slightly poorer:

5455125336a63b77db87fe3532298460.png

---

Hopefully I can kick on, get re-acquainted with this game and make some more progress.

On 15/09/2020 at 09:28, Sonic Youth said:

Looking forward to seeing what happens now. From not signing the previous two, this give chances to who is already at the club.

Just loaded up the game and had a quick skim through the squad, as it's been so long since any consistent play time and I must say that we are actually quite weak, depth wise, at the moment. We have produced some fantastic talent:

15e5cd2e28b9c021d66b4a7cd82b5e78.png

But there isn't much in the way of youngsters who are coming through to be as good/better than these lot. Obviously, I now have to be clever and get every last drop out of every player to make them the best/most complete player I can do - which I actually enjoy more than just fielding my youngsters and 'letting them get good.'

(Lack of) production line

In reference to what @Sonic Youth mentioned about giving chances to my own players...

In Brazil, it's far easier that other countries due to the 'easy' State leagues at the start of the year, where most teams are significantly weaker than us, so, even with four or five of these players, you can still comfortably overpower the other teams.

Below are all of my players who are rated at potentially having three stars, or better and are not in the first team squad:

6b60882a10e5a9867f966ad829cd9f76.png

Not many! 

In Lucho, we do have a long term replacement for Lorran Perriera Santos but, with the 30-year not getting much football, is declining much quicker than the 16-year old is progression. LIkewise, Artur is a ready made replacement for Edilson, who, at 33 could still have seven years left but probably won't get chance to see that out. In Helder, we have another striking option - behind Antonio Jose and Giovanni but, at a stretch, he'd make a decent inside forward from the left. Papel, who I mentioned in a recent post is a decent defender but isn't particularly a good footballing defender and may find it hard to fit in.

Behind those, there are plenty of players who could be pretty decent but there is really nobody who I'm looking at and thinking that they are going to join the ranks of Geilton, Joao Fernando and Pacato are club legends.

---

I won't, and can't call this a barren spell, because my first team is still young and, with only one player in the entire first team squad not produced by my academy (Edilson), is still massively over-achieving! However, I will either have to become more reluctant in the selling side - not moving players on to develop their career as I have done to date and/or expect a slight dip in results as the quality of the entire squad does take a dip.