Experience

One thing I always try to look at in youth development saves in experience within my squad. I'm going to cut my usual 'band' of 27 and over a bit younger, due to the amount of games that we play and say that anyone over 24 is now 'experienced.' My list is below:

895970b23c16264081da843e964a4b6f.png

Magno has 53 appearances elsewhere, 125 for Edilson and 94 for Rodrigo Dinamite but the rest are at the club.

That works out at an average of 439 appearances for each of these players - incredibly useful when you are trying to bring through young and inexperienced players!

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

(Future) player sale

2005f09ea310d8d5fac92cde519ce777.png

2e2576a53c185d482797c764bcf05a6a.png

461a95156bf8b6ac7369024699aed456.png

I think I've definitely got the better deal from this transfer of Flavio Aurelio to Belgian side Anderlecht. I will certainly miss his physicality in the middle of the park but our playing style doesn't really require that as much as it used to, as we've become a team that plays out from the back more. His passing and technique was certainly good enough but maybe it was his Flair of 3 that let him down a little. Anyway - he was a top player and my best DM - with the depth chart looking like this:

10a8963793e0f4831936ba4c316c9395.png

There isn't a huge amount to shout about - Christian is no more than average and Dinamite hasn't quite reached the levels that he once promised to do, leaving only Mazinho as my real top player. I have high hopes for Orlandelli but he's not ready yet, so I may turn to this lad:

8b3b9b7220e1ab24ddfc6c1dab5eb1ca.png

An Engache by trade but a solid defensive (Tackling: 11, Marking: 9, Decisions: 16) player possibly. He's not overly physical but does work pretty well for the team and I think his playmaking ability can be of use a little deeper. If I put him on the DM(d) schedule with the Defensive Positioning extra focus, he'll get a good dose of what I want him to develop. I worry that he has the typical 'AM concentration issue' which may come into play more as a defensive minded player but I think he'll be a good squad player, at least.

---

I have been pretty lucky that I've had ready-made replacements for the players I've sold so this is actually quite a nice change to have to think about re-training or think slightly outside the box about how the role could look going forward.

Boring!

0c8e61cdd463b1f1c47fef747de80f55.png

This amount of offers from them, every single day! I don't think that there is a player in my team they haven't bid on over the last five years!

I’m currently managing in China as part of a Pentagon save and you can only have foreign players on the pitch at any one time. Probably half of the foreign players Chinese clubs buy on FM hardly ever play. Makes it doubly frustrating that players kick up a fuss about leaving.

1 hour ago, Fosse said:

I’m currently managing in China as part of a Pentagon save and you can only have foreign players on the pitch at any one time. Probably half of the foreign players Chinese clubs buy on FM hardly ever play. Makes it doubly frustrating that players kick up a fuss about leaving.

I activated the Chinese league to make the moves more realistic, but when this started, I got rid of it as it is just annoying. I can see the point of picking three great non-Chinese players to fill those slots so why are they moving for average players?! (in comparison with what is available, any way)

Posted (edited)

International career

a68b3872d6a94128c4f6160442e41574.png

eda2b646905b4d1b4d1d0b019f6bafa9.png

After annoyingly touting Man City to Joao Fernando - I noticed just how many caps Phil Foden had won for England! I thought I'd have a little look at how he fared compared to other players in the game. As I have the editor downloaded - I have found that I'm able to search for 'non-newgen' and these are the results of players with over 150 caps or players with over 50 goals:

6d437abae59f6d4660d0cbe470614eb3.png

What strikes me most is that there are two Irish (=53rd in world) and two Italian (8th) high scorers on that list and the goals/game ratio from Erling Haaland!

If I remove the newgen filter, Yoo Min-Woo, below is the highest cap-earner:

2b01b8f36f2ba396ea4028540cd165f7.png

And, when looking at scorers - Maynor Alvarez, of Honduras and Mory Gragne, and Ivorian, both have insane records:

e30ad7263dc73f4488c9b21aa47dfdca.png

1676aaaeede12d6771fef02151288156.png

Edited by _Ben_
6 hours ago, keeper#1 said:

Josh Sargent with 195 caps and 117 goals!  Damn.  Any screen caps of his career?

a78dbabd1d571cccb6be19340e3280ee.png

Not quite been a hit at club level, though...

845e15c6e1ccb4394fcc706b3f722fb0.png

2036 Carioca State round up

94dbcfef8bf435f3221838c3e331f766.png

An absolutely resounding performance, once again. We won both the Guanbara and Rio final meaning that there was no need for a grand final - blowing away teams like Flamengo (4-1 in Turn One and 4-0 in the Turn Two Final) like we've never really done before.

---

In terms of the youngsters, here is how they've done:

6ca26b882dc8720c3013b6f3ab69c173.png

Cleber and Antonio Jose have done enough to secure first team roles and I'll be watching Fernando Luis closely. I envisage that Luis Henrique will also move up once Flavio Aurelio moves to Anderlecht.

Off field incident

cb5430a9c525693114dfc6e5b6e4e731.png

4f16fd126d7bb037e6382804f5f9f270.png

To drop from a Model Citizen to Driven would indicate a pretty big drop off (particularly when mentored my M.Pro - potentially from 20 to <13), meaning that he'll probably now be sold on.

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, keeper#1 said:

Must be beating up on weak CONCACAF competition

Always the way - which is why I have discredited (somewhat) the goalscoring achievements of those two newgens and Lassina Troare (Burkina Faso) as the majority of Africa isn't too strong. I think it makes Haaland's scoring record, in a relatively weak Norway setup, even more incredible!

Edited by _Ben_
Posted (edited)

Player Sale

d7f82565ab0ae57bf19234fd486d4b9a.png

3ca96bc2ff56c5b5f176bb6d16dbc662.png

a12c77ca0a4db9699169f8fbe5338dd4.png

A decent deal for Mazinho, who has worried me with a couple of off-field incidents so I think that it's best he now moves on. We are a little light on defensive midfielders but that's something I can focus on over the next years of development.

EDIT: 

74885ca0ed914c41592c4dae989ca6db.png

It appears the fans don't share my thoughts on the conveyor belt approach!

Edited by _Ben_

Ex-youth candidate

c1b00baaf39eadf3c29b9f67fdd1a051.png

Le never played for me as he was poached by Flamengo, but looks like another top prospect like other poached player Luis Claudio. If you add these to the players that have come through the academy - I would say that we are performing really well!

On your note about interesting dual-nationality players, I just signed this guy on a bit of a whim (and an average scout report). Certainly an interesting combination of nationalities (his name suggests Uzbeki, but he came through at a DPRK club).

bYNvZl2.png

10 hours ago, turnip said:

On your note about interesting dual-nationality players, I just signed this guy on a bit of a whim (and an average scout report). Certainly an interesting combination of nationalities (his name suggests Uzbeki, but he came through at a DPRK club).

bYNvZl2.png

Great find!

I love the thinking outside of the box on this one - for example: how on earth did an Uzbek national manage to get into North Korea for long to reproduce?! I must admit that I do a lot of geographical/political reading around FM countries and I reckon, probably thanks to FM, I can name at least 90% of the capital cities in the world!

Posted (edited)

Player Sale

f4eb0e908915844f08682f46be988842.png

1fe6075cc7d3cf8473d9223252c11072.png

e37e4bf4678ccaed90a93c27de6ef3e7.png

Not really one I wanted to lose given my lack of squad depth at left back, but when Roma activated Carioca's release clause - he was no longer interested in renewing. 

---

Financially, as seen below, we do not need to sell anyone, ever again, but I am actually enjoying the challenging of having my squad decimated (!!) each season and then rebuilding through the academy - given that we have lost Carioca, Mazinho, Aurelio, Antonio Carlos and Fernandez this season alone.

432e8d44fcd91ddee2bb0c926363395b.png

Edited by _Ben_

500 up!

00229f0f0cc196f8a679746de5802306.png

6edce884263710258f8b32425de79852.png

7312cd1233ac567458a5d11d22f402cf.png

4781b66f316e9d4304164d4b0bc8b588.png

He is only 25! I imagine that his playing career won't be lasting until his late thirties given the sheer amount of football that he's played, but, by 31/32 - he could be nearing the 1000 game mark and, maybe, around the 700 goal mark. Absolutely insane!

On 06/06/2020 at 18:06, _Ben_ said:

Player Development: Pacheco

dcc3c93026a0819c0c99ee30b58965cb.png

Another one that may be just 'dummy data' as there are lots of holes in his game! Here is how he currently looks:

356e50beaac57e1be85123e0223a7e41.png

As I said before when he made his debut:

"utter laziness, inability to position himself or move off the ball, yet good ball control, technique and Brazilian flair when on it"

This post sticks with me for the one reason where I said this would be 'dummy data' as he wouldn't be good enough for the first team. Well, ten years on, he's just made his 450th appearance (341 in the league) and is a very solid squad player, judging my his attributes

af4f02338e72b96bdb85ca028918a218.png

If that isn't a reminder to try and develop each and every players I have through my intake, I don't know what is! @Jimbokav1971 is the voice behind the 'sign them all' movement but now I'm pushing for the 'keep them all for, at least, a few years!' movement, because you just never quite know!

Record appearances

1331cfc527f15317b917ef77d923fd61.png

Geilton is only 27 and has been an absolute model player for the club. He is also the second highest goalscorer on 62 goals, with the majority coming from free-kicks.

14 minutes ago, _Ben_ said:

This post sticks with me for the one reason where I said this would be 'dummy data' as he wouldn't be good enough for the first team. Well, ten years on, he's just made his 450th appearance (341 in the league) and is a very solid squad player, judging my his attributes

af4f02338e72b96bdb85ca028918a218.png

If that isn't a reminder to try and develop each and every players I have through my intake, I don't know what is! @Jimbokav1971 is the voice behind the 'sign them all' movement but now I'm pushing for the 'keep them all for, at least, a few years!' movement, because you just never quite know!

I think this is a really good post and a really good way of highlighting things. :thup:

It's all too easy to highlight instances where we called it and were right. It's far more beneficial to the reader to point out where we made errors and how, and to highlight them. I'm hoping my "ex players at 30" section will start to do the same thing.

Loan experiment

Just about a year ago, I set up a feeder club with Barra Mansa and added that they shared our facilities, so I could see how players would develop there. They, sadly, didn't make the second stage of the Carioca so they didn't get those 11 top competitive games and have just had their own season simmed, as they aren't in a playable league.

I also loaned a load out to Perolas Negras, who also didn't make the Carioca stage.

Here is how they have fared:

95306182e129e11b41bbeca8f73703a2.png

Players like Jean Carlos have made a jump but there isn't really anything here to excite me. I think I need to get a couple more years of data from players who are never going to reach the first team and see if this is a worthwhile thing to continue with.

1 minute ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

I think this is a really good post and a really good way of highlighting things. :thup:

It's all too easy to highlight instances where we called it and were right. It's far more beneficial to the reader to point out where we made errors and how, and to highlight them. I'm hoping my "ex players at 30" section will start to do the same thing.

I remember having that 1* Professional lad in my Guadalajara intake who went on to play La Liga football for someone else and it is that kind of thing, as well as this (even though his PA rating was good) that make me happy that there is that level of randomness in intakes. I'm fed up of reading that 'I had x amount of 4* players and nobody made it to my first team' or 'I've got x amount of years and not given a youth graduate 1 minute of football' because, if it was that formulaic, it'd be boring!

3 minutes ago, _Ben_ said:

I remember having that 1* Professional lad in my Guadalajara intake who went on to play La Liga football for someone else and it is that kind of thing, as well as this (even though his PA rating was good) that make me happy that there is that level of randomness in intakes. I'm fed up of reading that 'I had x amount of 4* players and nobody made it to my first team' or 'I've got x amount of years and not given a youth graduate 1 minute of football' because, if it was that formulaic, it'd be boring!

Exactly. 

The reason a lot of people don't get anyone good enough ti play in the 1st team, is because they wait for them to be good enough before playing them in the 1st team. Jeez I've lost count of the number of players I have played in the 1st team who HAVEN'T made it. It doesn't matter. You have to try or else only the Superstar CA "brats" will make it and there is no guarantee that just because they have the highest CA in the group, they also have the highest PA. 

6 minutes ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

Exactly. 

The reason a lot of people don't get anyone good enough ti play in the 1st team, is because they wait for them to be good enough before playing them in the 1st team. Jeez I've lost count of the number of players I have played in the 1st team who HAVEN'T made it. It doesn't matter. You have to try or else only the Superstar CA "brats" will make it and there is no guarantee that just because they have the highest CA in the group, they also have the highest PA. 

I don't particularly use the stars but they are good for monitoring things but I don't think I have ever had a youth player reach more than 2.5* without game time. People are waiting for them to hit 4* CA before giving them 10 minutes in a cup tie and it's just not like that!

Hopefully, these kind of games highlight those facts for people who do struggle to implement youth players.

52 minutes ago, _Ben_ said:

I don't particularly use the stars but they are good for monitoring things but I don't think I have ever had a youth player reach more than 2.5* without game time. People are waiting for them to hit 4* CA before giving them 10 minutes in a cup tie and it's just not like that!

Hopefully, these kind of games highlight those facts for people who do struggle to implement youth players.

I do use the CA stars, (in very broad terms), and I rank my squad throughout the season via CA stars, but my squad selection screen has an average rating and a PPG score and together with form, condition and morale, I use this, (with my own preference), as to who plays when. The best players by CA stars are at the top of the list though.

I have watched people on YouTube and Twitch select their squad from a big squad without filtering by position and I'm like "what the flipping flippity flip!". I have to filter by individual position all the way through, (still sorting by highest CA stars at the top), and only time I deviate from this is left and right wingers where I know that I have "lefties" who can't play on the left or vice versa, so I include both flanks on the same page during selection. 

If I had to select my starting XI without filtering by position then my head would explode. :lol:

I think there are loads of "tools" that are under-used, (and over-used for that matter), and I think the key is to try and take a little bit from everything, but then make up your own mind. I only have 3 main strikers in my squad right now, but the poorest of the 3 has hugely out-performed the other 2 this season, (and I can't tell you why). Contrastingly, the guy who has been top goal-scorer in the league, (the whole league rather than my squad), has performed relatively poorly. Now I'm sure there is a reason for this, (possibly step up in class), but at the end of the day it doesn't really matter why. All that matters is that Player A used to score a shed-load of goals and isn't anymore. Player B was really just a back-up at 17 years old and has absolutely filled his boots. Do I pick players on CA or PA stars, (or personality), on average rating, on PPG, on partnerships with other players, on condition, on morale? The truth is that you use it all but try not to be bogged down by 1 single thing. I sometimes think I should stream these saves, but I don't think the IR button use lends itself well to streaming, and I also don't think I'm engaging enough to hold people's attention, (and I don't suffer idiots).  I even sometimes ask the Ass Man to pick his side, and then try to work out his thinking behind the decisions I don't agree with. Sometimes it opens up an avenue of thought you haven't even considered, (often playing players not in a natural position for example). 

Edited by Jimbokav1971
Posted (edited)

2036 Brasiliero mid-point

2ca72ecd69f76dd5058454fbb25a995a.png

A slow start but we have really found some momentum of late and are pushing Flamengo all the way. With the best defence and offence in the league, it'd be expected that we were doing so well but with Joao Fernando (=3rd), Leozao and Cabral (=13th) in the scoring charts - goals are coming from all over. Geilton leads the AR charts (7.86) with Leozao (7.49) in 4th and Rodrigo Dinamite (7.39) in sixth.

Our playing style is still working - we sit 18th in average possession with 46%, 9th in pass completion with 86% but have created the most chances (59) and have had 183 shots on target, 20 more than second placed Santos. Our conversion rate does sit at a poor 9% (9th in the league) which indicates we could be even more clinical in our style.

N.B: The Brasiliero is sorted on points, then games won rather than GD or Head-to-Head, like we are used to in Europe - so I will need to not only beat Flamengo but also see them drop points too.

Edited by _Ben_

2036 Youth Intake

5a7672407dc8a89b58516ac90fc555dd.png

Ernani.

---

Just the one player here of note, really but he's very special.

Ernani has a fantastic personality, is incredibly well rounded intelligence-wise and comes into a position where we are very weak. He'll be playing for us the Carioca next year, that is for definite.

This really is quite an achievement. Not to do it this once, but to do it on such a regular basis. :eek: :applause:

d01c115199c9ff1915b3be0dd101172e.png

Model Citizen x2 is remarkable on it's own. 
Professional x3
Fairly Professional x1
Fairly Ambitious x2

I started reading this thread in full the other day but got side-tracked. It's brilliant, but I find I was reading through it really slowly and re-reading bits again and again. Very deep. :thup:

Potential

0ea2973e067885b9c00e42d9c63023c8.png

We're a big club with some good players so I really must consider anyone with over 4* potentially to be, hopefully, seriously good. We have a nice group of players here that I hope I can build this team around for the next five to ten years.

Model Citizen x2 is remarkable on it's own. 
Professional x3
Fairly Professional x1
Fairly Ambitious x2

A lot of work has gone in making sure the backroom staff are great in terms of personality and, now, quality. SI are adamant that it doesn't have an impact but I really don't think I'd be hitting these personalities with a Balanced HOYD and youth staff?

I started reading this thread in full the other day but got side-tracked. It's brilliant, but I find I was reading through it really slowly and re-reading bits again and again. Very deep. :thup:

Thank you!

1 minute ago, _Ben_ said:

SI are adamant that it doesn't have an impact but I really don't think I'd be hitting these personalities with a Balanced HOYD and youth staff?

I'm loath to criticise SI, and this isn't even really criticism, but I think they are wrong on not just this but a few different areas with regards to Newgen production. 

5 minutes ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

I'm loath to criticise SI, and this isn't even really criticism, but I think they are wrong on not just this but a few different areas with regards to Newgen production. 

I agree on the criticism part as I put far too many hours into it to say it's bad! I think they're purposely keeping it under wraps. However, when everything is aligned:

7b2dfc567d79d396a9534f0919c2f0e2.png

First team squad personalities

Staff personalities

HOYD - be65d2d8fbc6e745531fa37858719dcc.png

ae3dc5bb627cf56dfcdb823cc86673ce.png

f910609677b62a60dad5fb0a4a43ce75.png

Strong country (world ranking) - 2083149cd81b54b28d6f8333a6623fa4.png

I think anything is possible. There is the Sheffield United save whereby he has managed to turn at least 10 first team players into M.Citizens in two years and I'm able to churn out M.Pro's at will. Maybe this could be experimented on the other way? Can I produce a team full of Driven players, solely ambitious players, Mercenaries etc...

Posted (edited)

2036 Copa do Brasil

1c1b38d8663610058fad13a879ed4ab1.png

Third time in a row!

EDIT: You can add those to the 5 Carioca States, 1 Supercoppa, 6 Liberdatores semi-finals,  2 promotions up to a title challenge, a 55% win ratio over 867 games and selling £212m worth of players whilst doing so, yet...

ed56461767c99d40735680838425279b.png

Never been a fan of his!

Edited by _Ben_

And just like that...

517375ea2e28a7d3891d7e005abbe4cf.png

...our league challenge is probably over as we fall six points behind Flamengo and they are ahead, 17-14, in wins.

We seem to lack that little bit of depth that I reckon we'd have if I was purchasing players from other clubs. I find that, in this type of game, the gaps are filled with unproven youngsters and, when injuries hit, we just aren't as consistent as we could be. 

2 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

2036 Copa do Brasil

1c1b38d8663610058fad13a879ed4ab1.png

Third time in a row!

EDIT: You can add those to the 5 Carioca States, 1 Supercoppa, 6 Liberdatores semi-finals,  2 promotions up to a title challenge, a 55% win ratio over 867 games and selling £212m worth of players whilst doing so, yet...

ed56461767c99d40735680838425279b.png

Never been a fan of his!

It happened to me at Dinamo too.

2 hours ago, TheRobert said:

It happened to me at Dinamo too.

I get it - it's the rivalry that is being built but there seems to be very few actual text lines to say that!

Personality Change

209509c99bcaf04a5c4c9b9d8189a4a4.png

0aea282912e0bd6db514378133c52d07.png

Luis' Determination has increased (not that this is the change that triggered the personality change) but also something behind the scenes has changed (he was Professional so it was no Pro) and his Media Handling hasn't changed (Evasive, Unflappable) either. Not that I mind - he's M.Citizen number four in the first team now:

a4ec1c3e7d182b376ebbc31b9da94b4c.png

---

There are 32 M.CItizens who are Brazilian and that includes six at our club. It's common knowledge that this personalty is one of the best given the high ratings in nearly all of the hidden attributes (although not Controversy which is an inverted attribute that you want a low figure for - and the Reserved MH (1-5) can help here) as seen below:

• Determination 14-20
  • Professionalism 15-20
  • Ambition 12-20
  • Loyalty 15-20
  • Pressure 14-20
  • Sportsmanship 15-20
  • Temperament 15-20

However, I think I can make this slightly better by mentoring these M.Citizens with M.Pros. I have an idea of what their professionalism is - somewhere between 15 and 20. A player with 15 for Pro and less than the required hidden attributes elsewhere may just be F.Pro or Resolute (given Determination level) so mentoring with a player with 20 for Professionalism is the only way to ensure that he has a chance of reaching that 'magical 20' mark.

This is not everyone's cup of tea, and I get that. His ambition could be as low as 12 so you may want to get him mentored by a Very Ambitious (20 for Amb but <18 Pro) with Reserved MH (Pro >15) if that is something you wanted to work on improving. As you can tell from my development goals - I'm all about professionalism so it works well for me and I don't want to paint a picture that there is only one way to develop players, as that really isn't the case.

Big Game

4d0de4e9895bb2b6e59477417bdfdf45.png

This poor performance matters very little in our quest to win the title as that is long gone, considering our two defeats that I posted about earlier and then a couple of really poor draws against Operario and Fluminense.

However, it matters hugely because, after league ties against Fortaleza and Cruzeiro, we face off again against Santos in the Copa Liberdatores final, after ending our curse and beating Botafogo in the semis. We need a much improved performance to see me win my first continental level trophy at the club.

2036 Copa Liberdatores final

78045fd753cc71682826de10e4e4a441.png

1c59ff5e8b2fa5995cdb2c771745327f.png

Absolutely never in doubt!

I was a little worried as I had no fit defensive midfielders so opted for my two least ball playing defenders to play there, but otherwise named a strong line up - preferring the experience of Pacheco on the left wing. Nobody, aside from the unusually quiet Cleber, let me down at all and we romped home without Santos registered a shot on target.

eb4648ef655c2824bca3366437ca7b31.png

6 minutes ago, wesl said:

Was it Joao Francisco pulling the strings in the final?

It was!

abc80f82f323e15e29a9c8912b4150ec.png

He's blown a little hot and cold, to be fair and certainly hasn't contributed as many goals as I'd want from him but really pulled a fantastic performance out of the bag. 51 passes completed, 3 successful dribbles and 2 assists gave him the MoTM award!

New Brasiliero record

61226fae7a462b5143cea603e0b9f1b3.png

Ronaldao, not training particularly well due to the Reserves manager playing him at either left back or right wing (but get that versatility to reach accomplished in two new positions in a year) got his debut in another end of season dead rubber and got himself into the records books, too!