[FM20] Voltaço

_Ben_

Devotion to development

Below is the list of all of the Model Professionals in the game with Brazilian nationality. You will notice a trend:

93920921c8b092094eabd7e47832c353.png

It would appear (and I guess that I agree) that the likelihood of Brazilian's with high professionalism is quite low but the fact that I have worked with 10 of those 11 players, with all but Andreson, Magno, Fernandez and Valdinei coming through my youth system, is a fantastic achievement, I feel.

Edited by _Ben_

• Replies 930
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a mega achievement tbh and shows the work you've put into it!

Do you feel that once you've got the ball rolling It's quite easy to maintain a steady stream of MP's? Or is quite a tricky manoeuvre?

11 horas atrás, _Ben_ disse:

2033 Copa Liberdatores update

6bb442abb21bff1215886a20b3fce833.png

This went better than expected! I did not see the games against Caracas yielding sixteen goals but we have topped the group and given what are normally our first team players a good run out during a period of time when I was using predominantly my youth players. We face Bolivian side The Strongest in the first knockout round and, despite a trip to La Paz, I expect us to win at easily.

ac7e2e7893327dad7aacdab3822933b8.png

I am particularly interested in geographical stuff like this so was delighted to find out that the Estadio Hernando Siles is, at nearly 12,000 feat above sea level, one of the highest professional sports stadiums in the world. I even found an article whereby the Brazilian players were moaning about inhumane conditions and taking on oxygen to play at a level where the Bolivian national team have a fantastic record, probably due to their ability to perform at such altitudes.

This high level thing unfortunately doesn't apply on FM, there was even a post in this forum suggesting that, because it really influences the game IRL. I remember some match between Internacional and The Strongest in La Paz where Anderson (the former Man Utd one) had to be subbed off with 35 minutes because he couldn't handle the altitude and went exhausted to the bench, where he used oxygen masks.

Btw, I'm loving your progress through the First Division, it's hard to play with youngsters in Brazil because the biggest clubs usually spend loads of money (which is far from the reality). Hopefully you'll touch the Copa Libertadores trophy soon!

15 hours ago, Justified said:

It's a mega achievement tbh and shows the work you've put into it!

Do you feel that once you've got the ball rolling It's quite easy to maintain a steady stream of MP's? Or is quite a tricky manoeuvre?

A really strange one, to be fair - given that Model Pro is a personality that 'can only happen' after 23. There may be a whole bunch of youngsters out there who lost that one point to take them to 19 and then don't become one. If I had done this with Model Citizens, for example, I think that would be a better kind of marker for the team. However - now I've got my core group of M.Pros - it is quite easy as they just get to mentor pretty much until a player turns 23 and, pretty much all of the time so far, they have reached that '20' for Professionalism. However, given the work I've put into the backroom staff - I think that has helped my starting point...

11 hours ago, bpecanha said:

This high level thing unfortunately doesn't apply on FM, there was even a post in this forum suggesting that, because it really influences the game IRL. I remember some match between Internacional and The Strongest in La Paz where Anderson (the former Man Utd one) had to be subbed off with 35 minutes because he couldn't handle the altitude and went exhausted to the bench, where he used oxygen masks.

Btw, I'm loving your progress through the First Division, it's hard to play with youngsters in Brazil because the biggest clubs usually spend loads of money (which is far from the reality). Hopefully you'll touch the Copa Libertadores trophy soon!

I guessed that it didn't as it'd be a nightmare to code accurately!

I have the money - £50m to spend and over £120m in the bank but trying to do this with only the youth intake (Savio Flamengo was the last signing in January 2031 - 30 months ago) is my challenge! But you are right - the AI do seem to be quite good at re-investing the money they get for exporting players to Europe and that means they are able to pay whatever they want for promising youngsters so the movement of these is quite common - making it harder to keep my own!

For example - I just turned down a £15m for Mazinho from Corinthians, who is valued at £96k at the moment. 

2033 Brasiliero update

We are just past the middle of the season, so I thought I'd give a quick update as my playing time has been a little sporadic, of late:

bd69278e1739cadf6c1eefc34882b8f9.png

As you can tell from the table and our fixtures, you can see that we are doing really well and, once again, performing above expectations. It is Palmeiras who appear to have cracked first in our attempt to overthrow the big clubs but newly promoted Gremio, predicted to finish in the bottom half, lead the table, quite convincingly, and were really strong against us.

The youth intake is due this month so all my attention turns to that!

Looks like an amazing thread, I haven't read through it all yet but going through the first page it sounds like I'll enjoy reading it.

Slightly off topic but I'm interested in what you mean with "FM18 saw a brief stint (well, for me) with Le Mont in Switzerland, where I took a seventh-tier team to the top tier before the in-game mechanics made it impossible to continue" in your 2nd post.

I'm actually doing the same with an Italian club from the sixth-tier and I'm currently in Serie B (FM20). What did you experience that made it impossible to continue?

2033 Youth Intake

bb2afd9a3d4422000a3e563978db19b3.png

CleberAntonio JoseFabio Carioca.

---

really like this intake actually. There are a lot of really great personalities here and everyone down to Deco has, potentially, a shot at making the first team. I really wanted to keep a player named Garrincha, but, a striker with 3 for Technique and 5 for Finishing, with no real re-training opportunities, just isn't going to cut it.

Firstly, there is Cleber - who is a really solid looking attacking midfielder and his intelligence attributes are all in double figures - exceptional for a 16 year old and a 16 year old who is naturally two footed. His big issue comes from his (lack of) strength. I think that I need to focus his development, like I did with Pacheco many years ago, around his strengths - he's weak so I don't want him to dribble as he'll be faced with defenders who can just push him off the ball so therefore, working on his Off The Ball and getting him in channels and half spaces seems the obvious kind of move. I don't know whether he'll be able to out Antonio Carlos from his potential starting berth at AM should his development continue like it has, but he's certainly a good project for the next few years.

Antonio Jose is great - and hopefully his PPA is not a true indication. He's got a great personality (either my second or third M.Citizen) but is also slightly different to my other strikers Joao Fernando (who will hopefully move to a wider role) and Cabral, who is much smaller, pacier and better with the ball at his feet. Antonio is a bit of a bully in the box but, despite being so tall, is really average at heading. However, that Determination and Aggression, combined with Teamwork and Work Rate should mean that  he'll fight for everything. I think I'd like to develop his Stamina a bit more and really turn him into a proper Pressing Forward.

Fabio Carioca is a winger who is not bad defensively - so will move back to being a left back as his vision and flair are much lower than what I'd actually want for an offensive player. His personality is good and a PPA of 3.5 stars would make him potentially better than my current left back, Joao Carlos, which is promising.

2 hours ago, fmonit said:

Looks like an amazing thread, I haven't read through it all yet but going through the first page it sounds like I'll enjoy reading it.

Slightly off topic but I'm interested in what you mean with "FM18 saw a brief stint (well, for me) with Le Mont in Switzerland, where I took a seventh-tier team to the top tier before the in-game mechanics made it impossible to continue" in your 2nd post.

I'm actually doing the same with an Italian club from the sixth-tier and I'm currently in Serie B (FM20). What did you experience that made it impossible to continue?

Thank you very much!

I've been reading your save and I really like the Libyan twist to it.

The problem I had is that the game didn't generate fixtures for me in the top flight. I had 'built' the database that added like 2 extra tiers (but not all regions, just the path I wanted to take) to the bottom of another DB so I could start with a team who I recognised as being in the first/second tier a few years back. It was a bit buggy from day 1 but had completely fallen apart after 10 seasons or so.

Nothing to do with the actual game, just the database!

1 hour ago, _Ben_ said:

Thank you very much!

I've been reading your save and I really like the Libyan twist to it.

The problem I had is that the game didn't generate fixtures for me in the top flight. I had 'built' the database that added like 2 extra tiers (but not all regions, just the path I wanted to take) to the bottom of another DB so I could start with a team who I recognised as being in the first/second tier a few years back. It was a bit buggy from day 1 but had completely fallen apart after 10 seasons or so.

Nothing to do with the actual game, just the database!

Got it. Thanks for the reply.

Had a similar issue with FM17 where I created a new nation and teams of that particular nation as part of an 11 tier english database (kinda like Swansea is a Welsh team but plays in the English league system). I wanted to eventually qualify for the World Cup with that nation through getting promoted and building youth academies with the clubs of that nation. I noticed that after 20 seasons, said nation no longer registered for world cup qualification. I was gutted I invested 20 season into the save with no change in fulfilling the target. Anyway, off topic....

I'll resume reading your thread :brock:

Player Sale

0b4a7821e39efbe9185c66feb88663f7.png

b22c354a7d41d5b802bf6bf73f058a09.png

b3b693bdaf2c9f39b9daf3c1b9aafd27.png

Patrick moves on as I continue to try and use the club as a development tool for either first team players here or important players elsewhere. Money isn't an issue for us but the 50% of the next sale is always nice if he comes good.

2033 end of season

8a431f2f1b1569059afb7795e3c4efbe.png

A little dip on last year's performance but still a strong showing that, Gremio and their freak season aside, would have seen us around the same place, pushing those big four. Again, I'm a little disappointing that the likes of Santos, Internacional, Sao Paulo and Mineiro haven't been 'bigger' threats with the latter even getting relegated. 

---

a4d0f8d52afdb4d9047570646e28bff7.png

Some more really good performances across the team as we continue to showcase a wealth of offensive talent. I'm longing for another good centre back and left back as Nathan has sadly failed to really perform well (high rating comes as majority of games were in the Carioca state, which we regularly beat teams well) and Joao Carlos has been a lot more error prone than normal. He'll get another season to see if he can come back from this. 

Overall, I'm quite pleased with the squad performances over some a wide number of games.

---

d798babdc8c48137319d482737161d4f.png

Joao was a little quieter than normal in the league but still ended with a great overall output. I played him as a left winger in the Carioca State, but not the league as I didn't want to rush Cabral into the first team, and, as you can see, his performances and goalscoring was actually better:

baca88603cb5e98f3d376f97aed7205f.png

He's nearly half way to the record set by Vasco striker Roberto Dinamite of 190 Brasiliero goals and is also on track to reach his 487 career goals before the great striker of the 80's did. What is more is that this lad is still only 22 and has potentially 10 seasons left in him, should my game last that long.

---

e69afc9de4be879da87bd344be64851e.png

Another good season, even if we did drop back a little bit and were six points worse off in the league as we recorded our first ever 100% state competition and, again, reached the semi final of the Copa Liberdatores.

I have no plans to sign anyone over the break but I am still maintaining that this isn't a youth only save, but I'm yet to find the quality that I can use to assist with those who have come through the academy. Speaking of which, I am thinking ahead to my youth squad for the Carioca State, which will look like the image below - with 10 of those from the academy.

725f350b51d7b4b3d5ba1fc8e6d84216.png

3 hours ago, Enzo_Francescoli said:

That last intake is mighty impressive. In your experience, what weights most into the the personalities of newgens at your club? Personality of HOYD? Personalities of u19 coaches? Squad personality?

hoyd, then u19 coaches.

10 hours ago, Bigpole said:

hoyd, then u19 coaches.

Is that confirmed? I would agree but was just checking...

Radamel Falcao, as seen below, is my HoYD and is a Model Citizen.

b27c2031fcd92b9c2d3f2faad9525779.png

And the below are my U20 coaches:

8c8e5b7492e64babf99b4626ee64a7c6.png

They are not the best coaches but their personalities are important to what I'm trying to do - should this be a confirmed factor of influence.

Wonderkid

e22e8e4530fc0178b1bee9e155e4068b.png

8ae3c32f9b6a7172aaf1e2432113e371.png

I'm shocked that I can develop a 17-year-old well enough to hit that Wonderkid tag but I think getting a player through the intake at 15 is a big help to achieving this. Antonio Carlos is really becoming the complete attacking midfielder and, what is more, is really turning into the Kevin De Bruyne type player that @Fosse pointed out. My comparison point is when KDB was a 23-year-old at Wolfsburg from FM15 (screenshot here).

This is how he looks when comparing him at 15 and 17:

31dc6c5a18c90430d635a0ffc929d82e.gif

1 hour ago, _Ben_ said:

Is that confirmed? I would agree but was just checking...

Radamel Falcao, as seen below, is my HoYD and is a Model Citizen.

b27c2031fcd92b9c2d3f2faad9525779.png

And the below are my U20 coaches:

8c8e5b7492e64babf99b4626ee64a7c6.png

They are not the best coaches but their personalities are important to what I'm trying to do - should this be a confirmed factor of influence.

SI Staff confirmed this one year or two years ago in a specific thread.

Player Sale

a13989cf78c8c8771df599aeb1734570.png

c69dbb60ee80768c32b6aa19a3370318.png

9672b71c3c48f8ba38843366b89b09c0.png

I have made the decision to move Filipe Marinho on, and for a good fee too. For a player in the last year of his deal, unwilling to re-negotiate and a player who had fallen out of favour with, this was a no brainer. My concern was with my squad depth, as seen below but I do have four players who are ready for that role in Aurelio, Dinamite, Christian and Mazinho - so the fifth, Marinho, was not necessary.

3797382dad7274fecdc42dc697cb4e6a.png

He was a good, and important, player for us but I keep reiterating to myself that this is the whole part of the save - how many players from my academy can I get scattered around the globe? The list is growing.

Il y a 18 heures, _Ben_ a dit :

He was a good, and important, player for us but I keep reiterating to myself that this is the whole part of the save - how many players from my academy can I get scattered around the globe?

What about Joao Fernando? Would you rather sell him for a very good fee or break Roberto Dinamite's goal record?

4 hours ago, Toffle said:

What about Joao Fernando? Would you rather sell him for a very good fee or break Roberto Dinamite's goal record?

I was all for selling him at 18/19/20 where he could go on into Europe and hopefully break into the Brazil team, but now, at nearly 23, I think I'd rather keep him. We're not a one man team but he is integral to us actually living up to expectations. Plus, with the goalscoring record to aim for, which'd be even better to break as a second striker, I think I'll keep him.

New Signing

5e18055a0e8e87030525612b567fc7e0.png

We're short on defensive cover and we lack some experience so this was a no-brainer for me, even if it goes against what the board want. He's a really top player even if I'll only get a year out of him due to his retirement and impending fast attribute decline!

2034 Carioca State

3a81a3eafd955327af7db093b17ebae2.png

We are such a long way from the horrors of 2023 and now I don't believe we have lost since 2028 in this competition - an outstanding feat!

Lots of minutes, and goals, for the youngsters, too. The standout for me though has been Leozao, who has not only seamlessly converted to a wide player but also performed really well and shot up in value.

2033 Intake Review

Last year, I had a really great intake in terms of personality and it is massively paying off right now. I found, towards the ends of my Guadalajara save that I was so desperate to get great personalities - not because they were the ones that made my first team, but instead that they were the ones who developed really quickly and were able to flesh out the B-team. Here are some of those in question:

59cd760d7887da39148ce49dda814348.png

I initially identified Cleber as the better of the two midfielders, but Clovis has come on leaps and bounds and is now pretty well rounded. The same can be said for Luis Henrique whilst Antonio Jose just looks a pretty good striker all round. 

I do need star quality through the academy, but, this quick growth is giving me much needed backup and rotation players much earlier in the process than I might possibly get if they weren't as well suited for development. 

Player Sale

c1d32738d5dabaeee3320eb113feff9e.png

f034fb819af10135df2ebec1e7ff5f2f.png

24a87846845269e0cc18a8103fba4317.png

Andreson becomes my latest player to move to China, with Dalian Pro his destination. I am absolutely stacked with talent in the playmaking roles I use and the mentoring side of his job has been fulfilled by Rodrigo Dinamite, as seen below. He's been a great servant to the club with 415 league appearances over ten and a half years and my last remaining player to have been a first team member whilst we were in Serie C.

f7aef801a647cea7b93694b21de61809.png

Edited by _Ben_

Youth Intake Preview

d5fbe8777ad71fcdfa40831a1cd68ca1.png

As our quality goes up, the talent coming through faces a harder job of being a 'golden generation.' I do, however, have some concerns over the squad depth in the following areas (all players at the club are shown in the below screenshots):

GK:

b411517666822236028c522a8c668082.png

CB:

03033059cbb478b9db680bb305d21bec.png

LB:

781e30470a4df12b9d30a359f9c00c14.png

ST:

003e9b6873de52c4f8af6d66c556c760.png

---

These all pose different problems to me.

always struggle to develop goalkeepers and, with Edilson being so good, I'd need to have an amazing intake with a star at 16 who is ready to play the State games. Fortunately, Edilson has 10 years left in him but that does take away from a challenge I always like to have a go at - getting as many appearances as possible with a graduate and a goalkeeper is usually the best way to go. At centre back, there are a fair few players, but only four have ever made first team appearances and one is nearing 32. Fernando Luis has the potential, apparently, but this lack of depth is really stopping me moving Pacato on - and I think he'd be a big hit in Europe and would finally break into the national team. Left back is a mess with literally one natural full back at the club, and he isn't that great. Fabio Carioca is being re-trained there in a move that I feel will have to be replicated going forward. The last 'problem area' is because I have moved Elite Forward Joao Fernando to a wider, second striker, leaving me with no real proven quality in this role. Fernandez is experienced but not as a forward and is also not a graduate. Neither Cabral and definitely not Antonio Jose have build up a serious argument to tie down this role due to being so young and, again (although only marginal this time), Joao Fernando is performing better at AML.

Lots of things to think about and I'm at the point now where I want to really just rely on my youth academy unless a one-in-a-million player comes about.

Personality Changes

f4d3c894eb42678e54db4c05bdf7ad2c.png

• Joao Fernando: Pro -> Model Pro
  • Nathan: Fairly Determined -> Resolute
  • Leozao: Fairly Determined -> Resolute
  • Antonio Carlos: Fairly Ambitious -> Fairly Professional

The mentoring groups are continuing to do their jobs as well as the overall squad personality:

82a8b9bc82dca85b534eed258b907a8b.png

Edited by _Ben_

Not a player sale

06f0107763df58f2dfefe0fd45c7ce69.png

Porto came in with a bid that was worth up to £31m for Elias, which would have nearly doubled my old record sale. I agreed as he was making noises about a move to Europe, in particularly Man CIty, but then he's rejected the deal - probably knowing he'd get found out in Portugal and never make the move to Manchester!

I'm not actively selling anyone but at this time, everyone except for Joao Fernando (Serie A and Brazilian goalscoring record), Geilton (appearance record and currently at 434 at the age of 25) and maybe Cabral (turning him into a Ronaldo-esque player over the next few years) are for available at the right price.

Player Sale

1507fc60f8466acf4a0e5ef2b84594e1.png

7dd384432a3e8279d322acc1d84a6f8c.png

5ce5984378096b4a5ad482d970480c59.png

I once compared this lad to Ronaldinho and now, he's got his dream move. Elias was coming good but agreed that this kind of offer could not and should not be turned down. I hope that he does become a regular in Catalunya and goes on to achieve some wonderful things.

6 hours ago, wesl said:

Some nice sales! Have you loaded European leagues? Also, I'm curious if you got a huge influx of TV money in your second Serie A season.

I just have Germany and Spain loaded at the moment as I didn't want to slow things down massively but was interested to see how it changed the transfer market.

Yes, I seem to recall getting a massive increase - we get about £35m a year now but it was only thousands in our first season I think.

2034 Youth Intake

8879ed7c9e5b910a0aa0ad2f87e3f8f1.png

Joao FranciscoJuninho.

----

Whilst this intake doesn't give me necessarily what I need - in a quality left back and more centre back depth, it gives me two attacking midfielders who are potentially going to be good. I would consider my AMC and AMR as similar players - they both play as an AP(s) and the right sided one tends to have a couple of different traits, but nothing much. Here is the depth of players I have for that role:

d622803ac1978b0f7687ccee250b12b6.png

This is sorted on PA stars so it's pleasing to see how Joao fits in. The one big issue, for me, is the combined lack of concentration. The more I play, the more I feel that it's a defensive attribute but I do feel that it does make my offensive players way more prone to just getting lost during the game.

Joao comes with a good personality, whereas Juninho will need to work on his Ambition and Determination in order to progress - however, he is Level Headed

Level Headed
Professionalism 13-20, Loyalty 12-20

so I know his professionalism is, at least, decent.

--

This intake finally sees my first non-Brazilian come through the academy. When reading @Jimbokav1971's thread - my haul of Brazil and Chile, with second nationalities of Lebanon, Italy, Portugal and Brazil is pretty sad compared to his!

Also, the personality breakdown is a lot less exciting than last year...

2034 Copa do Brasil winners

4b6596c39f47ad05a905f10702d01e9b.png

My first Copa do Brasil title, which, when reflecting like I did after the Carioca State win this year, is a long way my my three First Round defeats in my first year as manager - which meant that we hadn't won a game in six seasons in that competition!

22e5d48ade4c03a7a32d04166aa658f2.png

1 hour ago, _Ben_ said:

This intake finally sees my first non-Brazilian come through the academy. When reading @Jimbokav1971's thread - my haul of Brazil and Chile, with second nationalities of Lebanon, Italy, Portugal and Brazil is pretty sad compared to his!

Also, the personality breakdown is a lot less exciting than last year...

You look at my Nationalities the same way I look at your personalities. ;)

4 hours ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

You look at my Nationalities the same way I look at your personalities. ;)

Well...

I did 'develop' 93% of the Brazilian Model Pros who are in the game:

ccb0a4cb645843c6cbd7cf23529464bd.png

And I currently 'own' 62% of the Model Pros who are in Brazil:

71a081563318c817fd1e3b14972bbdfe.png

--

In fact, to go a little further - I have developed or contract 34% (14 of 41) all Model Pros in the game. That is utterly absurd! I might turn my attention, in a future game, to creating a team of perfectionists, maybe!

20 minutes ago, _Ben_ said:

Well...

I did 'develop' 93% of the Brazilian Model Pros who are in the game:

ccb0a4cb645843c6cbd7cf23529464bd.png

And I currently 'own' 62% of the Model Pros who are in Brazil:

71a081563318c817fd1e3b14972bbdfe.png

--

In fact, to go a little further - I have developed or contract 34% (14 of 41) all Model Pros in the game. That is utterly absurd! I might turn my attention, in a future game, to creating a team of perfectionists, maybe!

I did something similar with M.Pro and Res in FM14, but it was much easier back then. That's really impressive. REALLY impressive. :applause:

Talent production line

Sorted by potential ability stars, not an overall rating from my own judgement...

7cd363f566df65e952ab311acc6971d5.png

This is just my teenagers who are rated at more than 3* - and I am aware that, as of right now, 3* makes a solid first team player in this division.

There are strong first team players in Antonio Carlos and Mazinho, as well as breakthrough prospects such as Cabral, Nathan and Esdras but what is most promising is the amount of youngsters that are there who haven't yet broken into the team but have good potential despite the quality of my own players improving.

I'd also say that there is just one negative personality, which is unambitious, and the rest are very much manageable and are quite easy to mould when they enter the first team.

---

The future is looking very bright!

Personality Change

8a99c83a92723e37f38c537e801e6119.png

93dd6fd6d392b452550a241891b99e26.png

This is why I quite like the Light-Hearted personality!

The below graphic shows what Esdras could have started like and what the requirements that he's just hit (I presume from his Determination increase).

4a0b98f21e629533171bb3837c312cc2.png

Light-Hearted requires only great ability to handle Pressure and great Sportsmanship but stipulates that Professionalism cannot be above 17 (or he'd be Professional), Ambition cannot be above 15 (15-19 would be F.Amb and 20 would be V.Amb), Loyalty cannot be above 17 (else he'd be Loyal, V.Loyal or Devoted [but not sure I've seen that before]), Pressure can't be 20 (else he'd be Iron Willed). It does mean that he could score very low for these (not worked out if he'd turn Unambitious, for example, with low ambition) but I guess that this means they are rated at more than 5 to stay Light-Hearted.

---

Therefore, it is completely conceivable that Esdras already had all the makings of a Model Citizen minus his Determination. If a Light Hearted player comes with the MH styles of Evasive (Professionalism 15-20, Pressure 15-20) or Reserved (Controversy 1-5, Professionalism 15-20) - there is a good chance he's pretty close to being a Model Citizen!

Wonderkid

568a48fe95d0e90ac17ed2148d19088c.png

fd97be082625956d7c3cf569336e432b.png

15 goals in 36(7) appearances this season is a little off what I hope he can achieve as he grows - but being labelled as a wonderkid will surely be a step in the right direction. He has all the makings of a great striker, with exception to his work rate. If I compare him to other breakthrough striker, Antonio Jose (in green in the graphic), you can see that he's the best out and out striker of the two but will have to be careful as Antonio is actually looking pretty good, himself!

60d9be6b6e23c16e696341e4f777c7fb.png

8 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

Whilst this intake doesn't give me necessarily what I need - in a quality left back and more centre back depth

Have you thought about converting one of your other players for left-back? I haven't been able to find a right-back with good technicals and decent defending in my save at the moment and I'm considering doing this, either with one of our prospects or with young players at other clubs who have the right attributes.

4 hours ago, wesl said:

Have you thought about converting one of your other players for left-back? I haven't been able to find a right-back with good technicals and decent defending in my save at the moment and I'm considering doing this, either with one of our prospects or with young players at other clubs who have the right attributes.

It's not easy!

Here are my full backs, sorted by CA:

c44e03d3ac8533ba1107b123800ea693.png

I don't have a two footed player and, is this style of play, my wing backs are very high and wide - going on the outside and getting the ball into the box. Normally, I favour IWBs - but not in this save.

--

Sometimes I use DMs as converted full backs as they tend to offer the technical advantage. I have converted two:

888d7f614cba26300035ba1e2d9e26bc.png

They are good and, to be fair, Aurelio is more useful as a DM than a FB but, overall, these players lack the crossing and dribbling ability as they are either playmakers or ball winners that I have changed.

---

Lastly, I sometimes convert wingers but we don't have many 'out and out' wingers as they are all more of the playmaking type - and, as such, lack the ability to cross a ball.

c008b5a3f47a490948b2e289b23b591d.png

Carioca has been training to be a full back since he came through last year and has done ok!

2034 Review

dba83bff7eb9c3bba74a3b15de0363e6.png

A Copa do Brasil win, another semi final appearance in the Liberdatores and a third placed Brasiliero finish means that this season must be considered a success. However, we sat atop the table for a short while around game week 25 to 30 and, had it not been for an erratic end of season, we could and probably should have put more pressure on Flamengo - considering that we regularly usurp them at State level. 

However, this league must be commended for it's ability to be completely unpredictable, with lower table Fortaleza and 750-1 title shots Ceara performing well yet last year's third place finishers Gremio having a really tough season. Fluminense are back as an established top tier side yet Sao Paulo haven't really hit their heights of old after their shock 2024 relegation.

---

89bfb8b42c83564a53598be2e0b63b7e.png

A bit of a mess here really with no real hierarchy in terms of game time. I really want a new goalkeeper and I'm willing to take a hit on quality to use an academy graduate, but sadly, we have nobody who is even close to the right level. I have been a little disappointed with my 'supporting cast' who have not really chipped in to help Joao Fernando with goals - with Antonio Carlos, Savio Flamengo and Pacheco not really finding the net consistently nor performing. I am definitely looking to offload non-academy player Flamengo over the break. Likewise, Fernandez has not performed particularly well and he too may be moved in favour of academy youngsters.

943467fbc62c989c8ddf1890fb6802fb.png

Joao recorded his worst overall scoring record since 2030 but did improve on his 13 league goals last year. He is now only 79 away from Dinamite's and is still only 23 years old! Going off on a tangent and I can't remember who posted it but the worry about getting him into his career too early, may mean that his peak is earlier and he retires at 33/34 rather than 36/37 - however, he is over halfway towards his overall 478 goal target and doing really well!

---

89fe6da0476713166b1f0318f1c2ad44.png

More positive progress including some new commercial activity that sees me enter my 14th season full of confidence. The board are expecting a title challenge in three to four years and I think we are well on target for that.

2035 Carioca Squads

I am quite a strong position whereby I can name two completely (minus the GK) different squads for the Carioca State and I feel that they both would stand up against any opposition. They are obviously able to mix-and-match, but I am really happy that there is enough depth now.

2e0ff70b4f0e2da15964d72b08c29bca.png

The top squad is probably a little weaker with Pacato, Mazinho and Cabral being the only first team outfield options. It has quite an experimental AM line but this is an area of a lot of depth for me and the central and right sided player are pretty much interchangeable in terms of role. The bottom squad does have more experience, with Geilton, Pereira Santos, Christian and Dinamite behind best player Joao Fernando. It is more likely that he'll move between squads, fitness permitting, as games against the Serie D sides are a great chance for him to score plenty of goals.

The best thing here for me though is, by using these 21 different players for the State Championships, I can leave the below players for our Liberdatores group games.

633804cfe4ad9acac5ab5fbdbf8fc3cb.png

This group, Robson Luis aside, is more experienced and the standard 'backup' players that I have (I have also excluded Antonio Carlos, by accident from this screenshot - and he's pretty much a first team player, too). 

---

A couple of areas aside, I'm really happy with the squad depth going into the new season.