[FM20] Voltaço

_Ben_

• Replies 930
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Other Reading and background

This is certainly not a ‘look at me’ section, nor an endorsement of any of my other threads, merely a chance for me to keep all of my old work in one place and a chance for people to see the development of my thinking over the last few saves and how I’ve reached where I am now with my playing style.

Pre-FM19 I was active on a few other boards, namely The Dugout and FM Now – but the few re-incarnations of these sites mean that I no longer have any previous saves anywhere online.

---

I have been playing CM since 2001/2002 but my style has massively developed over the last few years. The early FMs would see me try and create dynasties, particularly in Italy, where I, to this day, have a soft spot for a lot of lower league teams. I have managed a range: Pistoiese, Milazzo, Messina, Castel di Sangro, Calcio Catania (the other one), Venezia, Cesena and many, many more! A lot of the time, I holidayed games and paid very little attention to what was going on with my players – merely just signing the best ones each window, sticking them into a downloaded tactic and leaving it for a few hours at a time.

It wasn’t until FM17 when I wanted to make a change to how I played…

During that version, I spent time with First Vienna, under a Japanese moniker inspired by a FM16 player I had – although I can’t remember who he was or where he was from. After nearly twenty seasons, I had developed a wide range of feeder clubs who were providing great youth players to me and was rewarded with an in-game son, too. Later in calendar year, I started with Lyn, in Norway, where I used an Ivorian manager to bring an African feel to the club, before moving to the Norwegian national team and then the Ivorian. I think I became the first manager, in save, to win two successive World Cups with different nations.

FM18 saw a brief stint (well, for me) with Le Mont in Switzerland, where I took a seventh-tier team to the top tier before the in-game mechanics made it impossible to continue. Following that save, I used a Rwandan manager and dominated world football with BX Brussels, a club that is owned, in real life, by Vincent Kompany. I was also lucky to have a son in this save too, and he went on to be the all-time top scorer for Rwanda and, eventually, my assistant manager. This was the first save that I played without attribute numbers on – as there was a feature, at this time, that allowed the use of graphical bars instead.

---

[FM19] Not all that glitters is gold was my starting save from FM19 and saw me take over Beira-Mar, a fallen giant(ish) of Portuguese football. As FM19 removed the graphical bars, I played this save with numbers but really got into the player development side of the save and this save also saw my hatred for attribute stars rise as key player and club legend Andre Folha was only rated at three times despite being the best scorer in Europe! A couple of issues arose, maybe as I started with the Beta game, so I ended after a couple of league victories.

---

[FM19] One night in Serravalle… saw me take a plunge into the depths of Sammarinese football – playing the save without attributes (back to bars) and without CA and PA stars. It took a while and I rose through the depths of Italian football, building a squad largely from youth players with a selection of ‘marquee’ signings – players who I brought in, with great personalities to be team leaders and standout stars. I brought in some additional data captures using Microsoft Excel to track the development of some of my younger players. This game, for me, was important as it was the first time I had developed brothers from the academy and also saw me sign Dario Samaniego, who went on to become the manager in my first FM20 save…

---

[FM20] Tequila and Mariachi? Was my first foray into FM20 and started with my using a skin that removed all sight of numbers from the game, relying on attribute ‘bands’ instead. I didn’t solely go youth only but towards the end of the save I spent the majority of my time developing players using a much more in-depth Excel system to track personalities. This save also saw an in-game son, Dario Samaniego, who spent a lot of time in the first team but sadly never reached the same heights as the squad. In this save, I developed the best first team that I think I have ever done before and was lucky enough to develop a lot of quality players from the intakes.

Edited by _Ben_

The Game world

A big part of the game will be the export of talent – firstly within the country (but hopefully not strengthening our Cairoca rivals too much) and then to Europe. However, as we are down in the third division, I’ve not added any European leagues right now but will do in the future, instead, just loading Brazil and a load of Brazilian players as they will be the primary market for me.

As previously mentioned, the game started in January 2019 which mean that there would be different year one results. My intention from the start, was to manage Volta, even though they were playable in the 2019 season, but, sadly, they were relegated. Therefore, I have continued the holiday and have now reached the 2022 season – which is the first with Volta back in a playable league.

Here is a brief rundown of their history:

95d401cbf430a5089447da7a6fa8ebee.png

It would appear each turn is listed separately here - however, here is how they fared in the overall table in the past three years in both stages, starting with last year on the left:

cf4018da0287efc31c11bbd508571ae0.png

It seems that they have picked up a little following an awful 2019 but there is still a big gap to become the best team in the state, let alone the country.

The team are also winless in four First Round matches in the Copa do Brasil:

756b5e8a5b13be89b2d2320810b5c787.png

Edited by _Ben_

The manager

Like German Burgos (manager of Beira-Mar in FM19 who was generated in a short save I had with Argentine Baraccas Central), Teles (manager of San Marino in FM19 who generated in in the aforementioned Beira-Mar save) and Dario Samaniego, who I signed whilst managing San Marino, this save will have a memory of a previous save in it, in the form of the manager.

Neyveson

For those unaware of this player – his signing marked a real shift in my fortunes as Guadalajara manager. I had relied on Brian Pena, also of the Barcelona B team, and a real player, as my goalscorer but needed some extra quality so turned to this Brazilian/Spanish lad that Barca had poached from the Vitoria youth system. He cost me €3.4m and, in his heyday, was my best player, even if his scoring record of 131 league goals in 344 games isn’t anywhere near world class.

I will be using his place of birth, Euclides Da Cunha (BA), some 1700km from Volta Redonda, as well as his full name – Neyveson Bonfim Nazare Neto (interesting to see if I get a son with Neto as their last name) but changing his primary nationality back to Brazilian rather than Spanish – as it’ll fit my needs slightly better.

Here is his complete with his ‘brand new face…’

e68923624c33f3ecf3b6aa3397b98c7d.png

I have chosen against high ratings in Player and Youngster knowledge as, apparently, these are only seen on the player search screen, which I won’t be using nor will I be using attribute masking. I normally do this, but I want to see how much data I can amalgamate from other teams so don’t want the hassle of having to scout them all!

247facad652bec9809689542c3a70a36.png

Save game ‘aims’

As with any save – I’ve got myself some lofty ambitions. Obviously, there are wider plans to dominate the world, produce Ballon D’Or winners etc but actually, the on-field results matter little too me, instead, I’ll take much more from the continued learning about player development. Here are a few of the more general ones:

-          Develop a group of ‘squads’ that can compete across the many competitions in Brazil:

b13928c6ad6ec4191217aa5b62b02d43.png

Even in Serie C – we could be playing well over 30 league games in a year and that, hopefully, will be nearing 70 once we are a ‘big’ club. Therefore, I want to develop a group of different squads so that I can utilise different teams for different competitions – probably with a focus on younger players in the state championships.

-          Develop players through really focused programs

I’ve been working really hard to develop some new Excel documents to help me further track the growth of my playing squad. I will continue to work on this as the save develops, but here is a look at what they will be like:

bd6c2c61b10c4135262c9a6024794f48.png

205d2ba77101366d6fe68374d83648f7.png

A note on this – I will be using different formula than in my previous save, on purpose, as I don’t want to spend my time comparing save to save. Whilst this might have some uses, for example, looking at player progress over different types of training setups etc, I feel that this is far superior in terms of accuracy in how the game actually calculates ability.

There are a few other things that are different – such as the ticks or crosses for the ‘3 key attributes’ for development, as posted widely by SI staff as well as a ‘FIFA style’ player type: Team player, flair player, leader, aggressive or determined, as these seem to be the harder of the attributes to influence in intake time.

I’m conscious of overloading the save with Excel screenshots so will try and streamline how I post about these players but I really want to get into the individual development, with some new things that I’ve been thinking about. On my Guadalajara save, it was all about pushing through large quantities of players but this time, even though I’m going to even more youth reliant, will be about making the most of every player. What is more, I plan to return to using numerical attribute values so that I can really delve deep into what progression looks like (e.g. it’s far easier to say that a player who has gone from 6 to 9 in an attribute has made a 50% increase) – this is how a lot of my progression posts will look, I feel.

As you can see in the player development post I made earlier in the thread, that will remain a key part of this thread. Whilst I don’t intend on using all of the same DNA sheets – I will still be focusing on the four attributes that I feel are vital to players – anticipation, decision, determination and concentration; the four attributes that, for me, make up the player’s intelligence.

-          Become a ‘selling’ club

As with most Brazilian teams, I imagine finances will be tight. Also, and playing into the ethos of the team/city, Volta Redonda is a place that exports lots of steel and therefore, I want to export loads of players. I will attempt to not keep a player at the club if he is unhappy and will then replace him through my own squads or with a suitable replacement from outside the club, within my budget.

This will hopefully mean that we become completely financially stable but I would like to further explore ways to make us not only stable, but profitable, ensuring that there is a strict wage scheme implemented.

2019/2022 Catch Up

With only the Brazilian leagues loaded at the moment, there isn't much to catch up on, so this will be quite brief...

4b813b3eec2e53aefa1cd77f564886d1.png

In the Brasiliero, Flamengo look to be a good side, which will only further harm our Carioca chances, winning two of the three titles. Fluminense, on the other hand, would appear to be the first of the 'big' sides that we might be able to crack, as they seem to be falling away a little bit, whilst Botafogo seem to be on an upward trend. Worryingly, the ever-strong Cruzeiro seem to be a bit of a yoyo club and are back in Serie A for the 2022 season. I know that, if we face them lower down the pyramid - they'll always be a tough team. Joining them in the 2022 competition are America-MG, Vitoria and rank outsiders Operario, who are in their first top flight season since 1979.

---

Serie B still contains Bahia, who failed to go up yet are far too 'big' for this level  as well as Fortaleza and Ceara, the city rivals.

---

There are twenty clubs across two Serie C groups and we have been predicted to finish ninth, despite our promotion:

0ca0b37ba50289c00397c689617f18c9.png

In amongst this are some interesting clubs: MFC (annoyingly not showing as Manaus) come from the rainforest, Juventude were in the Brasiliero back in 2007, Acreano are a small club from the Acre state in the far northwest of the country and are only in their fifth ever season at this level and BRU (short for Brusque) are also very new to this level of competition.

---

There hasn't been a huge amount of surprising transfer business, with the usual suspects moving around:

8d954c1fa3cd9e271b547934aa19322c.png

---

Internationally, Germany won Euro 2020, South African took the AFCON crown in 2020 and Brazil won the 2020 Copa America.

Team Report

This is the squad that I've inherited:

16b167ad59cfe01efd1a0f0cababd7c6.png

Diego LandisMatheus NunesPedrinhoKevem.

---

There is some quality within the team, yet no real coherent footballing ideology - as you'd probably guess from a lower league Brazilian team and a bit of a mish-mash of positions. What worries me most, though, is the lack of team leaders or, to be fair, anyone with a good personality.

There is some talent though in here with both Vander Torres and Erick Fernando looking like they could potentially be good, with the right development.

---

My youth and reserve squad can both fit on one page:

8bb3a7a7da00fcee7c1eae609e03b511.png

MaiconAgnelloCassiano Aguilar.

There is some more talent in here, although I'm not entirely sure of the amount of potential there is, given our status within club football. However, this is where the fun starts!

As you may have seen above, the 15 youngest prospects (as I haven't had a youth intake) have been loaded into my player tracker, as seen here:

3581667cb2c248a5a4b226d616dc2f75.png

They are also loaded into the overview so that I can continue to compare whole cohorts, like I started on the last save. However, this sheet will compare them for three years, rather than just one.

From the above data, I can start to pick apart a few things and work out who I really want to focus on. For reference, the ticks, crosses and dashes in the attribute sections relate to whether they possess the averages I 'require' at each age level. To be a tick at the age of 16 (this will work better when the intakes come in), they need to be 10 or above, and 8 for a dash. Those averages increase by one each year - so, by the age of 19, I can see who is 'ready.'

The top player on that list is Pedrinho (although I'd expect that as he's one of just two 19 years and is also in the first team) but the player than I'm most interested in is Maicon:

f557079098b42749af33ab6db1dc6dc1.png

His combination of Fairly Sporting/Media Friendly gives me this combination of hidden attributes:

• Sportsmanship 15-20,
  • Determination 10-14
  • Ambition 1-14
  • Professionalism <15

So, average Determination but no better than average Professionalism and no better than average ambition. This gives him zero 'definites' in the areas I'm looking for. Therefore, I think that the real goal here will have to be first team football and a really specific training regimen to help him develop. Below is his comparison against my best striker, Rafael Castro (he is in green):

b10e072993e370e1d34598e29353bf65.png

I haven't decided on my formation yet, but he's certainly good enough to play as a backup striker here or even as a second striker, given his decent vision for this level.

In terms of his attributes and training - I'm going to do something that I've read about recently on the forum. 

148537ef9769f66957cfa2a86b795b64.png

He is good at finishing, has a good first touch, passing, heading, composure, work rate and is really fit and works hard for the team - but I feel that technique is really letting him down as well as his dribbling ability - two things which, as a second striker, are really important. As I don't want to change his position, I'm going to experiment with this P/R/D:

da9201c63b7c73763aba685e0e06408c.png

From what I've read, this trains all attributes needed for a striker, but lighter - which, to be fair, is good, as there are no gaping holes really within his game. It means that I can focus all of the training attention on his specific need, dribbling and technique. I will use the 'Ball Control' individual focus, below, and ramp up the intensity to double work:

174542a21b276eb034f6f46074528ef0.png

This leaves him with a medium workload and a really tight focus on what he needs.

---

Edited by _Ben_

Player Development: Vander Torres

8630075d4c6ef3c30bae35c8ad46bbfa.png

Looking at Vander's personality, I am left with two options about his hidden attributes:

Fairly Professional
Professionalism 15-17, Temperament 11-20
or Professionalism 18-20, Temperament 1-10

However, his Media Handling of Level Headed (Professionalism 13-20, Loyalty 12-20) doesn't shed any further light on it either.

---

8801e733a81c5cd12db38f5e98a97abd.png

Looking at his attributes I would say that his Heading of 2, Flair of 3 and Leadership of 2, all poor attributes, plus average marking, means that he's not really suited for the hustle and bustle of the middle of the pitch. Given his good tacking, passing, positioning and decisions, though, I think he'd make an excellent full back. Not a marauding one, as he can't dribble nor cross, an inverted one.

As he is only accomplished at RB, I'll be using the P/R/D of RB/IWB/S for him but only until that is perfected.

396da7d8d9161031b29495ed02b5c481.png

He's also going to work on his passing as that hits technique too, which is a weakness.

Player Development: Erick Fernando

978b054df26129c6c2452da39cc4c28c.png

Balanced/Media Friendly gives me nothing on his personality, sadly.

---

c61ee90c8cfb072956a2d2763aa2024e.png

Attribute wise, he's weird! I would look at that and think that he's a deep lying playmaker, to be fair. However, good first touch, passing, team work, workrate and stamina - with tackling that isn't far off, he's actually looking like a good Pressing Forward. There is one big hole, and that is his finishing (and I can't even offset that with his composure - although his decisions will do that a little bit). Therefore, as he's a natural striker, will adopt the same method as with Maicon, and use the P/R/D on just a striker so I can see how much his finishing can improve:

f67269331e7e0feb7ac89488ac6d850f.png

I do see, particularly against weaker opposition, both Maicon and Erick working off a poacher type player but, as of right now, I'm nowhere near thinking of tactical stuff!

Serie C Groups drawn

0e1c1cfdac3578b954d3ddb5d2d668e5.png

Brusque are predicted seventh, Figueirense 2nd, Caixal do Sul 8th, Juventude 5th, Gremio 3rd but we have managed to draw the likes of Joinville (newly promoted and predicted 15th) and Botafogo FC (predicted 19th).

We need to reach the Semi Finals (getting through the top two in the league) and then one quarter final round, to be promoted to Serie B.

1 minute ago, keeper#1 said:

Can't wait to see how this story evolves

Thanks! I'm excited too. I kind of want to set things in place, then give it a year or so to get really 'in to it' when all the newgens are in and I know all of the players.

Choosing a captain

A big thing when you don't have any team leaders. Here are my options:

5915dd0dd0facd9fd2352410713aff94.png

Rafael Castro is listed as a 'fringe' player (not played any games myself, yet) and is Balanced/Level-Headed (Professionalism 13-20, Loyalty 12-20) so will have average to good professionalism. He also had 11 for Determination but doesn't work hard for the team. 

Diego Landis is also Balanced/Level Headed and has 13 for Determination, is a key player and my top earner. It's sensible that he's made captain and hopefully a team leader. 

---

Kevem was the choice as vice-captain but initially I was put off by his Balanced/Media Friendly (you can literally get nothing from either of these) but this has changed that viewpoint:

abb6a789fc1c5976c109c7e72210c226.png

If Diego Landis has at least average Professionalism, then Kevem will be close to that, too. Kevem has 14 for Determination, is in the core social group but, annoyingly, has the 'Dives into tackles' player trait - that I don't want passed on to others.

It is a risk appointing him and I think that my third team leader gap will need to be filled with someone who I can see has positive traits.

Training intensity

52b6cc1bcf25e1069854694fa94fedf5.png

Something I always miss! Having a go with this 'half focus' means I need my fit players to be training hard - therefore, I'm going to see what impact using double intensity will bring to their development.

Kit annoyances

I brought the editor the other day so that I could complete a few things in my old save. It'll be coming out again to sort this mess out:

88152f869235d4c127088841edbff08f.png

I know it's licensing issues but I can't have a yellow and black colour scheme and play in blue and red!

a3d3c4c8d5777dd67d0e9b307e39e568.png

Much nicer.

You never know - I might be making kits for each competition at this rate...

Just now, rosque said:

Defo following this one as well

How come you decided to use attributes in this save and not colors like in Guadalajara?

A) just a change, really!

B) I can do some more mathematical stuff in Excel/it becomes easier to do the Excel stuff when I can see the attributes. For example - my language when describing a change from 10 to 15 in an attribute will change from 'they've gone from good to excellent' to now 'they've gone from good to excellent by making a 50% increase in x attribute.' You also wouldn't believe how many formula errors I found behind those conditionally formatted cells! 

I've still got the attribute colours there and my mindset is still very much the poor/average/good/excellent attribute but I thought I'd change it up.

Clauses

1cd1d12e092d039d499a25f8185eb5b4.png

With little money in the bank, I'm tempted to cash in on some clauses for Rogerio, who was sold before I took over.

3d176608601053c9508ac9e398bedd30.png

I'm not actively looking to sign any one but we're over budget and this and £50k will help.

Goalkeepers, however, tend to keep their value well so I won't be doing the same for Leonardo Alves.

Carioca State Draw

4daf65626ef562e3e67cbc510b3e8d30.png

We've drawn both Flamengo and Vasco - so chances of any higher than third are pretty much nil. However - every club aside from the four Serie A clubs and ourselves play in Serie D or below - so it is quite a weak area, which is a shame.

EDIT: For clarity...

Here are my fixtures:

a0c971ceccd2d2d8c400ded2fb465dff.png

It appears that I play all of the teams, with six games in turn one and five in turn two. 

I think there is a good chance for some clever squad rotation here as we get stronger...

Edited by _Ben_

8 hours ago, john1 said:

Interesting objectives you have set up for yourself  :cool: Will be following this closely :thup: 

6 hours ago, OlivierL said:

Good luck, can't wait to see how you develop those samba kids !

Many thanks! Enjoying the save thus far!

2022 Campeonato Carioca

e3fca87eea67bfaed7923512c5828f7e.png

This is a lovely little easy play for now and we've started my reign really strongly. The aim, I thought, for this competition was to beat one of the big four each year and slowly progress that - but we started with a shock victory over Botafogo, drew with Vasco and, somehow, annihilated Flamengo on the road. It appears that, at this point, the big teams don't take this super seriously and, although their quality shines through at the end, they seem to be beatable. Despite the great win over Flamengo, we decided to throw it all away, surrendering our top of the league (and qualification position) with a loss over Madureira on the last round of turn two.

On the pitch - I am doing nothing tactically amazing, lining up with a pretty simple 4-1-3-2 that looks like a 2-3-3-2 in possession. I really wanted the PF(s) to drop a bit deeper and the Mez(s) to push a bit wider to make it feel a bit more like the 2-3-1-3-1 (although I need to look at the midfield roles a bit better to make this happen).

Player Development

Firstly, we have a team leader, Diego Landis, as seen below. Secondly, and I guess, as expected, he's impacting some of our younger players with Vander Torres being 'influenced' and moving from F.Pro back to Balanced. He has picked up a point on Determination and, importantly, scored once and assisted three times in nine games - although he has been sent off twice! Erick Fernando has also seen a whole point of development in Finishing and Technique (two of the three areas in his only focus) so this suggests it could work out.

f7a457290accf7a2d55d1ae87b66dea6.png

Work Rate

f6278f7e068d8fd83509694237af5462.png

It's not a situation I like as I want my strikers to be scoring - but, it's a good opportunity for attribute development. Whenever I see the opportunity to discuss the last game (6.4 rating or less) - I fine the player 1 weeks wage. Sometimes they take it with no comment, but other times, this happens:

ad4c393cc565fb8b2f4065df41f0ba16.png

His Work Rate has increased by a whole point following his massive (!!!) £35 fine.

---

On a slightly unrelated note - little third tier Volta with poor coaching etc has seen a player increase 1 point in Finishing, 1 in Technique, 2 in Determination and 1 in Work Rate in just four months. That isn't bad!

Positional Development

0621cd3364a228f6808fe3c5255c5886.png

Vander Torres has now reached natural at right back, after nearly a season playing there, which is great - it now means I can try the same experiment whereby I focus just on his P/R/D of his playing position and can put more emphasis on his additional focus.

Ben in Brazil - all over this! Hope you love South America, I just can't stay away the last 3 years, with my main save being there each year. 

Very interesting start so far, hopefully you get a few good regens, even with poorer facilities.

2022 Brasiliero Serie C

The first couple of seasons, for me, are the hardest. Therefore, I've utilised the IR button for the vast majority of this season, just to get some players into the team, learn a little about the squad, work out areas where I need to focus on development/recruitment and the like. This, also, means that I can complete seasons very quickly, which is also great for the long term progress I want to make with this team.

Here is my first Serie C season in charge:

7b3397ac9964794dced202f2ec1b1804.png

We have massively exceeded expectations here, with, what I thought was a poor squad. In the end, we fell just short of promotion with Manaus going up after beating us over two legs. The quality of the teams within this league varies massively and a lot of the performances have been down to how all the managers have handled fitness within their squad and it hasn't been a surprise to turn up to a game with eleven opposition players who are all in very poor condition.

There's lots of gaps within the team and lots of poor players, which is always the case within the first season in my games, but I'm hoping that, over the next few years, we can fill some gaps with the academy players and go from there!

---

81905384c06cc4be2df5609010441fee.png

As you'd expect - quite hit and miss on the performance front and not many goals scored - which is, again, becoming the bane of my life! The key players have performed well and there has been some good minutes for Vander Torres and Erick Fernando - although the latter really hasn't performed well.

---

700046532fc734780ab73432742a9071.png

10 minutes ago, LewisMcGraw said:

Really interesting save idea! I’ve recently started a save with one of the teams you mentioned (Manaus) in the 3rd tier and it’s been great fun so far. Enjoying the updates!

I originally wanted to play with Manaus, but, for some reason, I couldn't sort out the licensing and get the proper team name! Volta have, by far, the better badge though, so that did it for me!

10 minutes ago, LUFCspeni said:

Ben in Brazil - all over this! Hope you love South America, I just can't stay away the last 3 years, with my main save being there each year. 

Very interesting start so far, hopefully you get a few good regens, even with poorer facilities.

I have always loved Brazil to be fair. I actually quite like the busy schedules because it gives opportunities for minutes for my players - although we've only played just over 30 games this year and now have a two month break at the end of the season!

I'm hoping that the youth rating of the country will help me out, massively!

19 minutes ago, _Ben_ said:

I originally wanted to play with Manaus, but, for some reason, I couldn't sort out the licensing and get the proper team name! Volta have, by far, the better badge though, so that did it for me!

I have always loved Brazil to be fair. I actually quite like the busy schedules because it gives opportunities for minutes for my players - although we've only played just over 30 games this year and now have a two month break at the end of the season!

I'm hoping that the youth rating of the country will help me out, massively!

The Brazil real name fix on FMBase’s website sorted that out for me - It makes the save so much more immersive. 

Player Development

This, again, will expand as I have more intakes - but here is the data from the first year of tracking a group of players. There was no intake before I joined so this group was the fifteen youngest outfield players at the club:

e577fe6a1e64a2102525016020972e70.png

---

Not a lot was expected from this group of players but I can talk through my table of confusion and add in a few screenshots of other data that I have collected.

- There hasn't been anyone that has decreased in their intelligence, however, the increased are small and only Pedrinho (who is 20) has, what I would define, as good enough intelligence for the 'end of year 1 tracking - the age of 17.' The numbers under the technical, mental and physical columns are the increase on last year and it is Erick Fernando who has made the most (2 points for Determination and 2 points on Work Rate) as well as good improvement on his technical focii.

It is Fernando, himself, who has improved the most overall - too. I must remember that this is a different metric to what I used in my Guadalajara save, so I have no idea if 0.81 is a good improvement or not! However, as seen below, he has improved by 11% from his starting attributes, which is a really solid improvement. Looking down that list - you can start to see a split already between the personalities.

5851053d5649e03dfaae13b27ca4ecca.png

---

One thing I have added for this save is a data collection point that brings together both attribute development and on-pitch performance. Below are the three players who have featured most in the first team:

Vander TorresErick FernandoMaicon.

I think this'll be interesting when I compare the three year growth and three year attribute changes.

1 hour ago, _Ben_ said:

Positional Development

0621cd3364a228f6808fe3c5255c5886.png

Vander Torres has now reached natural at right back, after nearly a season playing there, which is great - it now means I can try the same experiment whereby I focus just on his P/R/D of his playing position and can put more emphasis on his additional focus.

I recall early in your Guadalajara thread you changed the colour of the positions on player profiles as you had noticed basically zero difference in players being ‘natural’ or ‘accomplished’, is this still the case?

2023 Youth Intake

This came a little earlier than I was expecting, in mid-October.

3bdaa57ab0678e306704a4c4c3e8949f.png

CrisEldis FernandoGilson Camilo.

We have got a strange mix of ages here - with 15 and a half year old Cris in with 17 year old Eldis Fernando, for example. However - I think that I have potentially got a real star in the aforementioned Cris.

Also - I don't even have a HoYD yet, let alone have spent any time trying to sort the backroom staff out - so the personalities are all over the shop right now!

---

fea93796039b33aedb0450ca7f8b5005.png

Three players who have determination, one who has got a good level of professionalism and two ambitious players isn't great! Looking a little deeper - only Cris and Gilson Camilo would meet my acceptable level for 16 year old players (although Cris is 15 still) and only Waltinho has the physical prowess I'd (eventually) like for a player of his age. As I said - it is indeed Cris who stands out, atop of this intake and only behind two significantly older players in the very small, at this point, overall list:

927a4f38b20a854b67df8209d5ad6e0d.png

---

Cris

6563fb9e2af95fc54c5ed94d9ef635bb.png

He is Fairly Determined/Level-Headed, so I get this:

Fairly Determined
Determination 15-17
Professionalism <15, Leader <19

Level Headed
Professionalism 13-20, Loyalty 12-20

Narrowing that down to Professionalism of between 13 and 14 with no guess at his ambition.

e8116af04d0d82d59f55fd2ddfa92aff.png

He looks like a decent #10 but without the ability to finish (although better than my actual striker!). However, given his trait of 'Gets into opposition area,' I'd actually like to employ him as more of a Free 8 and allowing him some freedom. It may be a bit strange affording a 15 year old a free role but he's got great technique and first touch and his vision and passing are good. I will, therefore, retrain him as an MC - which gives me the below schedules to use:

f4a5b0b7dfcb5159155688688a4e58f7.png

He's quite strong technically, so I don't feel that the technical focus from a Mezzala schedule will help - therefore, I feel maybe a Carrilero would help boost some attributes. It focuses on:

Technical

• First Touch - currently at 15 and not a weakness.
  • Passing - currently at 13 and not a weakness.
  • Tackling - currently at 5 but not an attribute I am worried about increasing.
  • Technique - currently at 15 and not a weakness.

Mental

• Anticipation - Important for intelligence and currently at 9.
  • Composure - Important for on the ball play and currently at 6.
  • Concentration - Important for intelligence and currently at 5.
  • Decisions - Important for intelligence and currently at 9.
  • Off the Ball - Important for on the ball play and currently at 9.
  • Positioning - currently at 6 but not an attribute I am worried about increasing.
  • Team Work - currently at 10 but not an attribute I am worried about increasing as, like the attribute tag suggest - I want him to create his own stuff and kind of do his own thing.
  • Vision - Important for on the ball play and currently at 11.
  • Work Rate - currently at 14 and not a weakness.

Physical

• Stamina - currently at 10 but will grow as he develops.

--

I'm interested to see how he, and the rest of the cohort, get on!

21 minutes ago, Ausie said:

I recall early in your Guadalajara thread you changed the colour of the positions on player profiles as you had noticed basically zero difference in players being ‘natural’ or ‘accomplished’, is this still the case?

Yes. I just wanted to focus on a few different attributes at right back as a IWB whilst we were learning the tactic before he went on to the generic one.

14 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

Maicon:

f557079098b42749af33ab6db1dc6dc1.png

148537ef9769f66957cfa2a86b795b64.png

He is good at finishing, has a good first touch, passing, heading, composure, work rate and is really fit and works hard for the team - but I feel that technique is really letting him down as well as his dribbling ability - two things which, as a second striker, are really important. As I don't want to change his position, I'm going to experiment with this P/R/D:

da9201c63b7c73763aba685e0e06408c.png

From what I've read, this trains all attributes needed for a striker, but lighter - which, to be fair, is good, as there are no gaping holes really within his game. It means that I can focus all of the training attention on his specific need, dribbling and technique. I will use the 'Ball Control' individual focus, below, and ramp up the intensity to double work:

174542a21b276eb034f6f46074528ef0.png

This leaves him with a medium workload and a really tight focus on what he needs.

This seems to be working really well...

The above screenshot was in January and the below one taken in November.

3a44f73f6fb8d6e0b41fc7d85fd3f3e0.png

That is two points Finishing and three Technique, which is great!

2023 Carioca State

0191afb85cfdfc52c05e7d60fef10753.png

I'm glad this is only a small part of the bigger picture in this career and that, right now, I'm not focused on what is happening on the pitch as it is utterly terrible! I'm being both tactically naive (largely by not seeing what is going on) and over-reliant on youth players, but that is fine for now. We won't get relegated from this competition so I just need to ensure I stay in my job. However, it doesn't bode too well for the league stage.

And yes, Kevem is a centre back. Strikers Erick Fernando and Maicon have manged 0.20 and 1.27 shots per game, respectively. If I wasn't just clicking through to get to know the squad, look at development trends early on, I'd be very annoyed right now...

Signings

Not something I want to do a lot of but I've added Matheus Santana for a bit of depth and an old FM favourite of mine, Diego Renan,as some quality at left back. 

---

I'm predicted to finish 17th in Serie C this year, largely based on the awful state to the calendar year. As long as I don't finish ninth or tenth in the group - I'll be back next year!

Edited by _Ben_

Not a bad progress so far, as you are finding your own feet in Brazil ;) Macion, looks pretty good and good to see him improving a bit  :D 

Edited by john1

8 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

Player Development

Firstly, we have a team leader, Diego Landis, as seen below. Secondly, and I guess, as expected, he's impacting some of our younger players with Vander Torres being 'influenced' and moving from F.Pro back to Balanced. He has picked up a point on Determination and, importantly, scored once and assisted three times in nine games - although he has been sent off twice! Erick Fernando has also seen a whole point of development in Finishing and Technique (two of the three areas in his only focus) so this suggests it could work out.

So moving from F.pro to balanced is a good thing ? Isn't balanced a neutral personalty ?

15 minutes ago, OlivierL said:

So moving from F.pro to balanced is a good thing ? Isn't balanced a neutral personalty ?

No. It's a bad move. I can guess that his professionalism is ok, based on historical personality, but I don't know any more. It was expected because of the new Team Leader but not wanted.

2 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

No. It's a bad move. I can guess that his professionalism is ok, based on historical personality, but I don't know any more. It was expected because of the new Team Leader but not wanted.

Had the same with my best prospect in the first team at Paris FC : (

3 hours ago, john1 said:

Not a bad progress so far, as you are finding your own feet in Brazil ;) Macion, looks pretty good and good to see him improving a bit  :D 

'Finding my feet' is not the term I'd use for that second Carioca showing but, yes - I'm enjoying Brazil, we're getting a little better each year and I'm learning about the teams, rules and player development at this level.