Come on Greece, The thread of the surprise team of the EC 2004

bigguk

Missuk for Clairvoyant user of the year icon14.gif

I really feel moved,proud and honoured to be posting in this thread Missuk icon_smile.gif

This is my favourite thread ever icon_biggrin.gif

Σηκωσε το το γαμημενο,δε μποÏω,δε μποÏω να πεÏιμενω!!!

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Roundooooooo:

I really feel moved,proud and honoured to be posting in this thread Missuk icon_smile.gif

Σηκωσε το το γαμημενο,δε μποÏω,δε μποÏω να πεÏιμενω!!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I too really enjoyed posting in this thread which at first wouldn't think it would be of use for so long icon_biggrin.gif But, against all odds and hopes, we made it to the final. Who would have thought eh? Greece are in the final of the European championship!! I still can't believe it! To be honest, i don't think we'll get a chance to experience such emotions and feelings for the rest of our lives! Let's face it, you don't get to participate in the Euro final often if you are a small footballing nation like Greece.

Even if we lose heavily against Portugal, who really cares? I for one surely don't! Watching the lads getting their medals from the directors of UEFA will provide me with the absolute joy and pride. Bad luck for Karagounis to get carded though. He fully deserved to play in the final of the game he loves so much.

And last but not least, great vision from Missuk to start the thread with such a divinatory title icon_biggrin.gificon_redface.gif Even i couldn't be in any way so optimistic about our Euro campaign. I would have been satisfied with a decent performance in our group matches. Being the surprise team of the tournament? Even better. Making it to the FINAL? Un-fucking- believable!! But hey, crazy things happen when you least expect them to!! And to quote Adidas: "IMPOSSIBLE IS NOTHING". Well done boys and a big thank you from the bottom of my heart.

icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Even if we lose heavily against Portugal <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you crazy? icon_eek.gificon_biggrin.gif

There´s 50/50 chances for each side to win the game...so go all out attack then icon_mad.gificon_wink.gif

Fabio: Jesus Christ man, how can you say that there's a 50/50 chance for each side to win the game? This is NOT how probability works.

It's true that there are two sides playing and one of them will win, but this does not mean that each has a 50/50 chance. If Brazil plays Lichtenstein, do you think each team has a 50/50 chance? Don't you think it's more like 99/1 to Brazil?

No, I don't want to guess the odds for the final, but they're NOT 50/50.

Go Greece, anyway! Great team spirit! Great strategy! Great willpower!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by James M:

If this goes in the HoF (which it probably should icon_biggrin.gif), then so should the Henry/RvN thread icon_wink.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That just decended into another Man utd V arse thread, nowt special about it icon13.gif

If Holland went on to win you might have had a case though icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mexes:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Terry Cheung:

Greece? Surprise team?

As in it's a surprise they're there. I agree. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif Greece are going to get beaten badly, there one of only 5 teams I've got of having no chance of winning the tournement. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

nice one kipoko icon_wink.gif

pish orf!! icon_biggrin.gif

I'm actually really pleased for you Greek guys, well deserved victory and gave the tournement a burst of excitement.

And no-one change my name! or my status or anything icon_biggrin.gif

Guest attack

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jerome:

I saw them in Eindhoven. What a sh*te team they have with a sh*te style of play...

I hope they can manage to play a decent style at Euro2004 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL. Nice comments

I'm really happy the 90% of the football fans are happy greece won. i wasn't expecting that. just incredible achievement, i'm only disappointed i 'm not in greece to celebrate, instead i'm stuck in a sh1tty italian village....

Go Greece!!!!

I didn't think it was THE most defensive match Greece played ... in fact Portugal didn't exactly create too many clear cut chances ... Miguel's long range drive ... Maniche's long range drive ... not much really ... Greece used to ball well and passed neatly .. i thought they played excellently and nothing to be ashamed or or to apologise for.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by montaron:

Congratulations Greece! And Dellas, what a defender! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, very impressive and composed ... who does he play for (for now icon_wink.gif) ?

That right back was tasty too

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jimka:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Roundooooooo:

Σηκωσε το το γαμημενο,δε μποÏω,δε μποÏω να πεÏιμενω!!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I too really enjoyed posting in this thread which at first wouldn't think it would be of use for so long icon_biggrin.gif But, against all odds and hopes, we made it to the final. Who would have thought eh? Greece are in the final of the European championship!! I still can't believe it! To be honest, i don't think we'll get a chance to experience such emotions and feelings for the rest of our lives! Let's face it, you don't get to participate in the Euro final often if you are a small footballing nation like Greece.

Even if we lose heavily against Portugal, who really cares? I for one surely don't! Watching the lads getting their medals from the directors of UEFA will provide me with the absolute joy and pride. Bad luck for Karagounis to get carded though. He fully deserved to play in the final of the game he loves so much.

And last but not least, great vision from Missuk to start the thread with such a divinatory title icon_biggrin.gificon_redface.gif Even i couldn't be in any way so optimistic about our Euro campaign. I would have been satisfied with a decent performance in our group matches. Being the surprise team of the tournament? Even better. Making it to the FINAL? Un-f_u_cking- believable!! But hey, crazy things happen when you least expect them to!! And to quote Adidas: "IMPOSSIBLE IS NOTHING". Well done boys and a big thank you from the bottom of my heart.

icon_smile.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is an full page add in sun newspaper today, with a picture of the Greece team in a huddle after the finial whistle, with the words never won a game in a major finial "IMPOSSIBLE IS NOTHING".

Source euro2004.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

Greece pulled off arguably the biggest shock at a major football championship as a goal by Angelos Charisteas gave them victory at UEFA EURO 2004â„¢. Having begun the tournament as 80-1 outsiders, the achievement of Otto Rehhagel's team of European journeymen is hard to put into perspective, but once again the belief they have shown in themselves throughout this amazing adventure was too strong for their opponents.

Portuguese despair

Portugal thus became the first host nation to lose a UEFA European Championship final and they will have to wait at least another two years to claim their first senior title. For the likes of Luís Figo and Rui Costa it was an agonising end to glittering international careers, but the Portuguese players can still look back with pride on the joy they have provided for their supporters over the past three weeks.

Pauleta preference

Portugal were unchanged from the team that beat the Netherlands in the semi-finals, the goal-poacher Pauleta preferred to the in-form Nuno Gomes in attack, while Greece made just one change, Stelios Giannakopoulos replacing the suspended Georgios Karagounis in midfield.

Entertaining encounter

Perhaps contrary to some expectations, the game was an attractive spectacle from the start, with both sides playing fluently. Portugal's playmaker Deco was involved twice early on, combining with Pauleta and then Cristiano Ronaldo, but first Greece's captain Theo Zagorakis and then Traianos Dellas - man of the match in the semi-final win against the Czech Republic - made timely interceptions.

Sweeping move

Pauleta was just beaten to a long through-ball by Greek goalkeeper Antonios Nikopolidis before Greece showed their class with a sweeping move down the right involving Konstantinos Katsouranis and Zagorakis that was only halted with a crude foul by Costinha on Giourkas Seitaridis, for which the Portuguese midfield anchor-man was booked.

Goalkeepers in action

Portugal hit back and Miguel, on his home ground, sent a powerful low drive fizzing across the face of the Greek goal and Nikopolidis had to tip the ball away in spectacular fashion. At the other end Ricardo was forced to race from the Portuguese line to deny Charisteas, who had been played in by Katsouranis.

Timely tackle

A speculative Pauleta effort was saved comfortably enough by Nikopolidis but only a fine tackle from Dellas prevented Ronaldo causing havoc in the Greek area with his dancing feet. The hosts were getting on top and Maniche shot wide from a corner as the crowd held its breath, hoping for a repeat of his stunning goal against the Dutch.

Wall of sound

Mihalis Kapsis, doubtful for the game owing to a knee injury, then broke up another promising Deco-Ronaldo attack on the edge of the Greek area. At this point the Greek fans, heavily outnumbered, took the initiative on behalf of their fellow-countrymen and created a deafening wall of sound at the end Portugal were attacking and it was like a barrier that Portugal could find no way past for the remainder of the first half.

Injury blow

Just before the break Miguel's game was ended by injury and he was replaced at right-back by Paulo Ferreira, while Greece's Angelos Basinas became the second player to receive a yellow card for deliberate handball on the stroke of half-time.

Charisteas strikes

The second half opened with a Pauleta effort that was blocked when he might have done better, a microcosm of his frustrating tournament, and then the unthinkable happened – Greece took the lead. A surging right-wing run from Seitaridis won them a corner which Basinas swung over and there was Charisteas climbing above Costinha to head in from close range.

Attacking switch

Costinha was immediately withdrawn in favour of Rui Costa and the veteran midfield player nearly made an instant impact, tricking his way into the area before delivering a wayward final pass. Seitaridis was then cautioned and Figo shot straight at Nikopolidis as nerves inside the stadium and on the pitch began to fray.

Disciplined defending

Ricardo Carvalho had to be alert to prevent Zisis Vryzas doubling the Greek lead just past the hour-mark, and the home fans now did their best to rally their team. For a time Greece had their backs to the wall as Rui Costa, Deco and Figo probed for an opening, but the defensive discipline that has stood Rehhagel's team in such good stead throughout the tournament once again came to their rescue as Portuguese attacks broke down time after time.

Late drama

Portugal coach Luiz Felipe Scolari swapped Pauleta for Nuno Gomes with 17 minutes of normal time remaining and soon after that Ronaldo almost latched on to a long pass by Rui Costa but, off-balance, his shot was high and wide. Rui Costa himself went closer but his deflected shot was palmed away by Nikopolidis, while Figo also saw an effort rebound behind as Greece held on for a famous win.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is a definite hall of fame thread by the way. Good work, excellent articles, nice interviews, wonderful documentation about most of the Greek matches. Greece made history and this is a good document of it. Should be preserved. icon14.gif

Archived