Football Manager 2020 January & February Transfer Updates Feedback Thread

In his last 8 matches, my AML (Gabriel Martinelli, inside forward role in a 4-3-3) has 44 tackles, 39 headers, 0 goals, and 1 assist. The leading tackler in my save's EPL so far this season is Felipe Anderson with 8.02 tackles per 90 minutes (he's a strong tackler in real life, but still only averaging 3 per match). The list of top tacklers is flooded with wingers, inside forwards, and wingbacks and the numbers are way too high in general.

I hope FM21 shifts some of the play from the flanks back into the middle of the pitch.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My team's top tacklers/game for the season (13 games in, with rotation), are in order: RB, other RB, LB, LW/emergency LB, other LB.  The gap between the fullbacks at the top and everyone else is pretty big - the drop from #3 to #4 is almost a full tackle per game, the same size as the gap between #4 and #12.  I do tend to sub heavily in CM and on the wings, though; I wish there was a tackles/90 option.  For reference, I play a 4-1-2-3 with extreme pressing in the front three but a standard LOE, and I'm super possession-oriented, so I don't have a single player in the top 20 league-wide.  In the PL, it's all over the place: the top five are LB, LW/RW, LB, AMC, DM, all within 0.5 tackles/90 of each other (except #1, who's nearly 1.5 ahead of #2). 

1. I never used false nine before, but it seems my striker with comes deep to get ball my striker still never drop deep to get ball, he just stood still between two center back most of the time, is this going to get fixed?
1 hour ago, robinthebest said:
  1. I never used false nine before, but it seems my striker with comes deep to get ball my striker still never drop deep to get ball, he just stood still between two center back most of the time, is this going to get fixed?

The short answer is that there won't be any more updates for FM20.

20200901184308_1.thumb.jpg.66e8edd5e746acf52a8d30a473c7f6a3.jpg
20200901184334_1.thumb.jpg.05a990b66496d73201caa80b6208b21c.jpg

When you meet your club/county's competition expectations, like this... you don't expect the ONLY option when talking to the squad at the end of the tournament to be this
20200901203918_1.thumb.jpg.c91da28b479a0ba9fc1a7b3bddcc02c9.jpg   20200901203852_1.thumb.jpg.c5c586ba14b6901e29459433b9a04d77.jpg

Unsurprisingly, they didn't react well and I wasn't given any further option to recover from that either
20200901203955_1.thumb.jpg.54f94500405cee49dcd1dac0005e473c.jpg20200901204015_1.thumb.jpg.4a45fc14d7d2be455a8378582b8c43ca.jpg

Stupid FM

I play FM since 2005 and now FM 20 is too complicate. I cannot play this game anymore cause SI destroyed a game i buyed every year. I recive lag too many times in online game, i recive too many red cards in online game against my opponent, in every online game against my opponent he recive penalty,  i cannot put my favorite player as captain, i set random training camp registration and all goalkeepers are off cause the game registered 19 players and not 26. This is it. I cannot play this game anymore. SI, Sega, please fix this game, please or sell it free! Thank you!

Edited by pancone

1. Lag in online games has surely multiple factors to take into account with, like connection, computer performances and code of the software. It's not due uniquely to the software.

2. Too many red cards, it means you're play too aggressively, like easily setting high pressing + hard tackles in example. You should see some benefits by playing a little bit more cautious

3. Too many penalties. Same as above.

4. That could be a potential bug, please describe what happens in detail in here if you feel like doing it

5. Same as above. Or maybe there's some rule I'm missing.

4 hours ago, h3nrique_SEP said:

Higher defensive line :applause:

If this is high, the low DL would defend behind the goal.

Captura de Tela (3).png

The defensive line will adjust itself constantly throughout the match. A higher defensive line means that it has a higher average position it does not mean that it is higher on all times. If not when a cross comes in your defenders will be defending outside the box which is silly. Maybe understand how the team instructions truly work before you comment on anything.

1 hour ago, zyfon5 said:

The defensive line will adjust itself constantly throughout the match. A higher defensive line means that it has a higher average position it does not mean that it is higher on all times. If not when a cross comes in your defenders will be defending outside the box which is silly. Maybe understand how the team instructions truly work before you comment on anything.

This pic was just before a goal kick, i don't think my backline have a reason to drop that deep.

Especially because i gave them the instruction to play higher

1.thumb.jpg.1c0a2507209c154dcc3370c814738e99.jpg.43ce233a8c266b604c35375cc42a38a1.jpg

Maybe if you try to watch a football game IRL you can see how a high defensive line actually behaves.

On 08/09/2020 at 12:09, KingCanary said:

Anyone know where recordings go? Wanted to post a short clip but no idea where I can find it now.

C:\Users\User\Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2020\uploads

9 hours ago, h3nrique_SEP said:

This pic was just before a goal kick, i don't think my backline have a reason to drop that deep.

1.thumb.jpg.1c0a2507209c154dcc3370c814738e99.jpg.43ce233a8c266b604c35375cc42a38a1.jpg

Maybe if you try to watch a football game IRL you can see how a high defensive line actually behaves.

Lol using a screenshot to justify why it is a high line and why the game is not. Like I said it is the average position that matters not the position at a specific point in time. I know that you gave them instructions to play higher but they can go higher so what's the point of complaining that you can't play a high line? Have you tried the highest settings already? I can create a line as high as that in the game if I want and screenshot it.

Btw do you know that if you play your striker in a more withdrawn position the opposition defensive line can sometimes push beyond the half line because there is no players threatening to make a run behind the defensive line? The defensive line is changeable and is subject to what happens on the pitch. A higher line just means that it will have a higher position on average.

16 hours ago, h3nrique_SEP said:

Higher defensive line :applause:

If this is high, the low DL would defend behind the goal.

Captura de Tela (3).png

When you place players in the DM position it pushes your defensive line lower.  I appreciate you've told your defenders to play higher however there will still be an impact, so overall your def line isn't quite as high as you think it might be due to your 2 x DM players.  Note how there is hardly any space between your HB and central defender.

2 ore fa, herne79 ha scritto:

When you place players in the DM position it pushes your defensive line lower.  I appreciate you've told your defenders to play higher however there will still be an impact, so overall your def line isn't quite as high as you think it might be due to your 2 x DM players.  Note how there is hardly any space between your HB and central defender.

In fact both DMs should step higher on the pitch so that the D-line raises to the midfieled line. I'm not sure about the closing down settings he is using, but I can easily see a no-mans-land in the defensive (or attacking according to a different point of view) third. I assume this is the way the user wants to play. I appreciate your explaination but from my point of view is just another attempt to hide a design flaw (which is perfectly understandable and acceptable) with a bad tactical choice by the user.

And watching even more deeply, considering the area the ball is played in and how the manoeuvre is developing, the deployment on the pitch for both teams seems totally wrong.

222424260_CapturadeTela(3).png.9f94e42691c58978e185cf0152c72ef1.png

2 minutes ago, Federico said:

In fact both DMs should step higher on the pitch so that the D-line raises to the midfieled line. I'm not sure about the closing down settings he is using, but I can easily see a no-mans-land in the defensive (or attacking according the a different point of view) third. I assume this is the way the user wants to play. I appreciate your explaination but from my point of view is just another attempt to hide a design flaw (which is perfectly understandable and acceptable) with a bad tactical choice by the user.

Yeh not saying it's right or wrong, just explaining.  Being able to set a HB directly in front of a defender or anywhere other than direct centre of the DM line is causing an issue there and imo shouldn't be allowed when creating a tactic (and as you say questionable tactical choice by the user too).

I was considering this. Football is evolving quite fast and one thing truly challanging for SI is to keep it on sight. Sometimes I think FM is too strict to be sticky to schemes. Nowadays talking about tactics is much more a "liquid" argument than before and watching a real match you can't easily say how a football team is deploying on the pitch. Football is much more "situational" and I often hear pro managers talking about roles and interpretations rather than tactical schemes. I think it's very challanging for SI to keep on track at pace, as at the moment the football represented on FM seems too rigid.

But then again, you'll have people moaning for players not doing what instructed to. Not an easy task to achieve.

13 hours ago, h3nrique_SEP said:

Maybe like this? 

20200910205724_1.jpg

20200910205836_1.jpg

20200910211950_1.jpg

Spoiler
34 minuti fa, zyfon5 ha scritto:

Maybe like this? 

20200910205724_1.jpg

20200910205836_1.jpg

20200910211950_1.jpg

I demand pardon as it's not me your interlocutor, but the examples you reported are not related to the issue @h3nrique_SEP mentioned. In fact, in the screenshots you uploaded the white team is attacking if I'm not wrong. On the contrary, he was complaining the green team D-line position too low while defending conflicting his team instructions.

Moreover, I'm sure you didn't mean it, but when someone bumps up with post like yours (cit. "maybe like this?"), typical from another user I don't want to mention here, it shows nothing but arrogance, like if you were capable to do something he couldn't, because you're smarter and know football better than anyone. Did you realise he was using almost the same TIs you're using at least?

I think your behavior is not constructive, as requested for criticisms, even if I believe it was not your intention to be like that, but you definetly gave that impression.

6 minutes ago, Federico said:

I demand pardon as it's not me your interlocutor, but the examples you reported are not related to the issue @h3nrique_SEP mentioned. In fact, in the screenshots you uploaded the white team is attacking if I'm not wrong. On the contrary, he was complaining the green team D-line position too low while defending conflicting his team instructions.

Yeah I am replying to him and I just checked I did not quote the wrong person so not sure where is the confusion is coming from. Anyway I'm not sure if the green team is defending too low if I am being perfectly honest here look how close they are to the half line from a goal kick. Or he thinks that players should be positioned like the Bayern players here from a goal kick? 

6 minuti fa, zyfon5 ha scritto:

Yeah I am replying to him and I just checked I did not quote the wrong person so not sure where is the confusion is coming from. Anyway I'm not sure if the green team is defending too low if I am being perfectly honest here look how close they are to the half line from a goal kick. Or he thinks that players should be positioned like the Bayern players here from a goal kick? 

I think when someone plays the higher D-line possible, he aspects his D-line to be the higher possible, which was not the case. I'm pretty sure anyone would expect, in that particular moment of the game with the ball played by the DC from the back, a D-line deployed nearby the half line and definitely a much "shorter" team in terms of distance between players (accordingly to the LOE).

Playing vs lower team. They losing. AI switched mentality for positive->attacking->very attacking

Lower team started to play better. Can't imagine situation IRL when lower team started to attack and score goals 'just because they wanted'.
IRL lower team started to attack missed more goals in own.

Edited by Novem9
28 minutes ago, Novem9 said:

Playing vs lower team. They losing. AI switched mentality for positive->attacking->very attacking

Lower team started to play better. Can't imagine situation IRL when lower team started to attack and score goals 'just because they wanted'.
IRL lower team started to attack missed more goals in own.

I think this is because average technical and passing skills allow too good performance. And ofc in fm pushing higher and pressing is more efficient way to defend because theres too many holes in deep defending because of static def positions in deflines, middlefield and st. I have very high hopes for fm21. I would bet my money for it.  ;)

57 minutes ago, Novem9 said:

Lower team started to play better. 

This isn't so much about the switch in mentalities in isolation but also the switch in roles/duties. If the AI pushes more men forward, it now has additionial passing options and angles in the opposition half. It can keep the ball longer in the opp half, it can more easily construct moves and it also doesn't funnel everything down the middle, which is easy to defend (as overly defensive AI tends to do, usually with at least one FB staying back glued to the backline). Best to be viewed in 2d.

Whether the "pushing added men forward" can be punished accordingly is a different topic.

Edited by Svenc
1 час назад, Pasonen сказал:

I think this is because average technical and passing skills allow too good performance. And ofc in fm pushing higher and pressing is more efficient way to defend because theres too many holes in deep defending because of static def positions in deflines, middlefield and st

looks like.

1 час назад, Pasonen сказал:

I have very high hopes for fm21

Understand, but this remind me one movie :D

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcROsqW5zy_MyuYmu_wXHHx

On 04/09/2020 at 04:00, pancone said:

I play FM since 2005 and now FM 20 is too complicate. I cannot play this game anymore cause SI destroyed a game i buyed every year. I recive lag too many times in online game, i recive too many red cards in online game against my opponent, in every online game against my opponent he recive penalty,  i cannot put my favorite player as captain, i set random training camp registration and all goalkeepers are off cause the game registered 19 players and not 26. This is it. I cannot play this game anymore. SI, Sega, please fix this game, please or sell it free! Than you!

I play a fair bit of online games 1v1 and full real time leagues where as many as 10 people are connected together for real time matches against each other. Whenever people play with me, the game moves so fast they wonder whats going on. Fact is I do nothing on my end to generate lag. What are the events that can create lag?

Whenever you  leave the match day screen, this creates lag. Sometimes during the draft you can get lag but this is usually down to connectivity issues. Most of my friends who have at least half a gb of upload speed rarely face lag. Those that are running on slower connections have issues.

Most of any lag in the game actually occurs during the game itself:

When a player makes a tactical change the first highlight after a tactical change can be slow. There are ways to get around this, and again it depends on how good you are at knowing your stuff. Luckily I have no lag. Those that always have lag and are complaining are always those mousing over something, leaving the match day screen to check analysis page, those on the tactics screen. Now when they do this it affects both players. So lag here is a direct result of a conscious decision the player has made. If you guys know how to manage changes effectively then you should not get lag. 

If its a network game then it also depends on other things like the leagues/players loaded, your own cpu, your connectivity, the hosts computer etc. Eliminate these variables and you should be fine. There are certainly things SI can do to make it better. For example some instructions need to be achievable with one click. Presently doing OI before kick off is impossible in fantasy draft.

If someone is getting red cards in every game, then its not the game its your tactics. You need to fix that yourself.  

I just hope, with the announcement of FM21 today, that they have taken out ridiculous stuff like this
20200925024500_1.thumb.jpg.addc4be50f2a94895c3edc309022487c.jpg

In real life, a player agent or maybe a club owner, or in the case of giants like Barcelona, their president wanting re-election might come out with something like that.
But in this day and age you will struggle to find a manager who will say outright that he wants to sign another club's player.
It's essentially 'tapping up' and against the laws within the game.

• 2 weeks later...

I may be going mad but I'm sure the games have slightly changed in the last few days with different plays appearing.  Nothing major but I'm noticing slight changes, with players putting short balls into channels more for players to run onto and various other things.  Yesterday my opposition scored from a corner, but the ref made the VAR sign and went to look at the pitchside monitor before disallowing the goal; I'm sure I've never seen that before.

And I might be dreaming it but I'm almost sure the ref went to the VAR monitor and then DIDN'T give a penalty the other day, not even a foul on the edge of the box...

On 25/09/2020 at 04:09, Earnie is God! said:

I just hope, with the announcement of FM21 today, that they have taken out ridiculous stuff like this
20200925024500_1.thumb.jpg.addc4be50f2a94895c3edc309022487c.jpg

In real life, a player agent or maybe a club owner, or in the case of giants like Barcelona, their president wanting re-election might come out with something like that.
But in this day and age you will struggle to find a manager who will say outright that he wants to sign another club's player.
It's essentially 'tapping up' and against the laws within the game.

While that could be seen as tapping up, the type of tapping up that is or isn't allowed depends on the league, and usually refers to direct inducement or persuasion for a player to want to move from their current team to your team, rather than just saying you admire a player and would love to have him in the team. 

On 03/10/2020 at 10:48, ExeChris said:

I may be going mad but I'm sure the games have slightly changed in the last few days with different plays appearing.  Nothing major but I'm noticing slight changes, with players putting short balls into channels more for players to run onto and various other things.  Yesterday my opposition scored from a corner, but the ref made the VAR sign and went to look at the pitchside monitor before disallowing the goal; I'm sure I've never seen that before.

And I might be dreaming it but I'm almost sure the ref went to the VAR monitor and then DIDN'T give a penalty the other day, not even a foul on the edge of the box...

The ME hasn't been changed in the latest patches - they were purely for network games and cross-platform play between Epic Store and Steam.

Had a quick go at that unofficial match engine update some geek has coded which has been getting rave reviews. 

No, just no. 

Back to the original file again. Kudos to anyone who's tried that, but there's a reason the guys at SI have been doing this for so many years. 

30 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Had a quick go at that unofficial match engine update some geek has coded which has been getting rave reviews. 

No, just no. 

Back to the original file again. Kudos to anyone who's tried that, but there's a reason the guys at SI have been doing this for so many years. 

What did you see? I'm just curious but not enough to download it.

Just now, yolixeya said:

What did you see? I'm just curious but not enough to download it.

Just didn't feel right, the player and ball physics looked wrong. And there was an incident where two players went to challenge for a ball and they both just ran away from it. It was at that point I decided enough was enough :lol:

At this point in time we are probably around  just 1 month before the FM 21 beta so I don't see the point of even trying that ME "tweak"

6 minutes ago, andu1 said:

At this point in time we are probably around  just 1 month before the FM 21 beta so I don't see the point of even trying that ME "tweak"

It's exactly why I tried it, most of my saves are almost finished now, so was just trying a few new things to tide me over until the beta drops. Also downloaded the in-game editor for the first time ever recently. Only real positive thing about that (for me) is the ability to change the kits every season, and alter the team colours, would never use it to alter attributes etc. I can see how people would have good fun with it though, just not for me. 

It's an interesting case of snake oil.  Saw in the locked thread there was a claim of "completely rewriting the match engine", which was...humourous.  There's enough misunderstanding that things like this can take root.

Having said that, it's still good work from whoever made it.  It's always interesting to see what people can do to extend or improve upon a product.  I know SI looked ages ago at some kind of API around Football Manager Live but never really got around to it (the product died anyway) so until then it's always good to see what people can do.  But it doesn't take away from the difficult job SI have.  People act like this fixes issues when really it's just a shiny new hat to put on top.  The ME is incredibly difficult to balance, hence the continuing issues.  That's not something anyone outside of SI can fix, and if it was that easy, I'd imagine SI would be quite keen to do it themselves.

"We had it raised to us previously a few months back and the match engine development team took a look at it. It doesn't actually change any of the match AI, just changes some of the physics within the engine.

We would very much recommend not using it. During our investigation it was found to cause very strange behaviours and alter the balance of play outside real life parameters. "

- Neil Brock

The "strange behaviour" is based more on subjective perception and the balance of the official ME seems out of touch with reality anyway - and this can be proven numerously thanks to Opta's statistics as a reference.

I think it's a pity that SI doesn't take into account that the adaptation of this file is a work-in-progress and SI's last assessment was months ago. It is therefore inappropriate to advise against it now because the current state is different, and according to the creator, more polished and less experimental. I rather have the feeling that one simply does not want to give such a topic any room for discussion. I hope that the reason for this is not the fear that a single person could have really improved the core component of the game with a few adjustments to a physics file.

EA's career mode sim engine also had years of fundamental problems. Modders actually managed to do a much better job than EA with the few tools they had and fixed blatant errors - even I was able to do so, too. So it was not witchcraft. FM's ME is of course much more complex than EA's amateurish product, but the EA example clearly shows that normal users and modders might be able to spot mistakes the one or other development team couldn't find or even ignored.

I think it's good that the SI team looked at this file, but I wonder if this opportunity could have been used to extract positive things, to improve your own project with new ideas?

And no, I haven't tried the user's file yet, but I will soon, because Football Manager 2020 unfortunately doesn't give me anything. And nobody can say that I haven't tried it, because I gave this version countless chances since December 2019, but I was probably far too patient with it. To try something different now can't be that wrong.

Edited by FMSD0

I downloaded that unofficial "patch" (it's just a json file that anybody can open and edit with a text editor, I'm a programmer myself, but not needed for this) and what it does mainly is to change some in game physics, like players acceleration, speed, turning speed etc.

It's true that the games look better, at least the small sample size I tried, I saw for example a few through passes from central midfielders to forwards, including a nice one between my defenders for my opposition to score, that are hard to see in the official ME...but I wonder if it's just the placebo effect and small sample size or that making players faster/more agile is helping regarding making the ME more aggressive and full of fun highlights vs the extreme possession from the back by defensive/passive AI.

I find it hard to believe that a guy changing these values randomly and watching a few games in full game mode can do better than SI team running millions of games through their testing tools... Anyway I'll keep testing it while I wait for FM21 as games look more fun (that doesn't mean more realistic).

In one hand, I'd like some parameters of the ME editable for modders, kind of like sliders in other sport games. So if me personally want to give more weight to speed, or heading, etc in my games, I could change them. On the other hand it's probably a nightmare for SI team to separate the player's opinions and bug reports from these using their own "sliders" from the ones using standard ones.

Edited by Icy
1 hour ago, forameuss said:

It's an interesting case of snake oil.  Saw in the locked thread there was a claim of "completely rewriting the match engine", which was...humourous.  There's enough misunderstanding that things like this can take root.

Having said that, it's still good work from whoever made it.  It's always interesting to see what people can do to extend or improve upon a product.  I know SI looked ages ago at some kind of API around Football Manager Live but never really got around to it (the product died anyway) so until then it's always good to see what people can do.  But it doesn't take away from the difficult job SI have.  People act like this fixes issues when really it's just a shiny new hat to put on top.  The ME is incredibly difficult to balance, hence the continuing issues.  That's not something anyone outside of SI can fix, and if it was that easy, I'd imagine SI would be quite keen to do it themselves.

Aye, messing with a physics file isn't reinventing the wheel. It's something the devs would have done countless times already. Knowing the devs, if there was anything they could learn from it they would have done so already. Also because it's only the physics file, there's so much of the ME that can't be touched. 

Don't think they will ever open up ME to be moddable. Supporting bug reports would be a nightmare for a start. 

2 hours ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Aye, messing with a physics file isn't reinventing the wheel. It's something the devs would have done countless times already. Knowing the devs, if there was anything they could learn from it they would have done so already. Also because it's only the physics file, there's so much of the ME that can't be touched. 

Don't think they will ever open up ME to be moddable. Supporting bug reports would be a nightmare for a start. 

Judging from the reactions of most people who have used it, the modded physics ME seems to pass the "eye test" much more than the normal ME, and at least solves some of the problems in the current ME like pacey wingers being able to dribble up the whole pitch at 40km/h.

I think SI would do well to communicate with the people who released the mod rather than bluntly dismiss it as "caus[ing] very strange behaviours" and "outside real life parameters", especially given the frustration that many have expressed at how the current ME plays.

8 minutes ago, autohoratio said:

Judging from the reactions of most people who have used it, the modded physics ME seems to pass the "eye test" much more than the normal ME

Even though it really doesn't. People will only see what they want to see. 

25 minutes ago, autohoratio said:

Judging from the reactions of most people who have used it, the modded physics ME seems to pass the "eye test" much more than the normal ME, and at least solves some of the problems in the current ME like pacey wingers being able to dribble up the whole pitch at 40km/h.

I think SI would do well to communicate with the people who released the mod rather than bluntly dismiss it as "caus[ing] very strange behaviours" and "outside real life parameters", especially given the frustration that many have expressed at how the current ME plays.

Why would they need to do that? Passing the eye test of a few people isn't really how development works. If it it's been looked at by SI devs (and it has, and again the entire concept is literally not new, anyone who played the beta would have noticed physics had been played with) and it doesn't pass muster, why would they reach out? They aren't doing anything new that SI haven't done

It actually can't do many of the things it claims, because it can't touch those behaviours. It's basically snake oil

The reason they are blunt is because they have zero interest in misinformation being spread

12 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Why would they need to do that? Passing the eye test of a few people isn't really how development works. If it it's been looked at by SI devs (and it has, and again the entire concept is literally not new, anyone who played the beta would have noticed physics had been played with) and it doesn't pass muster, why would they reach out? They aren't doing anything new that SI haven't done

It actually can't do many of the things it claims, because it can't touch those behaviours. It's basically snake oil

The reason they are blunt is because they have zero interest in misinformation being spread

I would say that being able of changing speed, acceleration, delays, max/min turn degrees depending on speed, and some other things in the file can make things work differently.

Claiming that changing the physics in a football match engine is snake oil is quite funny though.

And you say that even after an admin claimed it affects the behaviour. He tested a months old version,now there is a v6 (which is days old) and they are working in v7.

4 minutes ago, kalokalitokalo said:

I would say that being able of changing speed, acceleration, delays, max/min turn degrees depending on speed, and some other things in the file can make things work differently.

Claiming that changing the physics in a football match engine is snake oil is quite funny though.

And you say that even after an admin claimed it affects the behaviour. He tested a months old version,now there is a v6 (which is days old) and they are working in v7.

When you are claiming to have recoded the match engine, when all you have done is play with some of the physics, that's snake oil. The majority of the match engine is in the match ai, which cannot touched by the file.

So when someone claims it changes everything in match, that's an outright lie. Hence the blunt response. It cannot do what it claims. There's no way around that point

The people behind it have definitely overhyped the scope of the changes and made it sound like they've done a whole lot more than they have.

I'd expect that in future editions the option to do this simply won't be possible because the file structure will change and the variables will presumably be stored somewhere inaccessible to end users. 

You might anecdotally find you like it better because it doesn't reproduce something you were running into previously on the ME but it does have some pretty big failings of its own. I can't see it ever being the case that modding the ME will be possible or supported because its too essential to the games future development to ensure all reports coming in of issues are from the same baseline. For standalone games its less of an issue but iterative design games - your yearly releases which tend to be in sports genres - will rely on this. 

It's hard to draw parallels to other games, but I suppose the most fitting one would be to make walking faster than a horse, and a troll able to jump 40 foot in the air before bringing their club down in Skyrim and claiming you've re-written the entire combat workings of the game because the AI behaves differently as a result. Things like that change the game for sure, takes out the economical need in the game to consider maybe buying a horse. Makes Trolls raining death and destruction from the skies an issue when you're wandering on some mountains. Makes certain NPC's unable to catch you in a fight. You might find it more fun, doesn't mean much though. 

- - -

Overall though from a moderator perspective, it's not something we're actively looking to support or encourage on the forums. Staff from SI, as Neil mentioned, took the time to look into it and we got a pretty thorough explanation at the time it first arose. 

1 minute ago, themadsheep2001 said:

When you are claiming to have recoded the match engine, when all you have done is play with some of the physics, that's snake oil. The majority of the match engine is in the match ai, which cannot touched by the file.

So when someone claims it changes everything in match, that's an outright lie.

And I agree with you.

But he doesn't claim to have recoded the match engine. He claims the file changes the behaviour, wich is quite different from what you are saying.