Football Manager 2020 January & February Transfer Updates Feedback Thread

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, f.zaarour said:

By the way, im playing the game just with the preset tactics and the enjoyment is coming back luckily. Im using tiki taka, and against stronger teams vertical tiki taka, as its less agressive and has the counter element in its play. 

Don't you feel like you are using someone else's tactics by using the presets? I suppose they are there to be used though! I need to get it out my head that using other people's tactics or using the presets is cheating but then again I have OCD, and this subject really bothers it :D I'm useless at creating my own tactics so maybe the presets are for me afterall, just if I can get over the feeling of guilt using them. 

Edited by Gee_Simpson

17 minutes ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Don't you feel like you are using someone else's tactics by using the presets? I suppose they are there to be used though! I need to get it out my head that using other people's tactics or using the presets is cheating but then again I have OCD, and this subject really bothers it :D I'm useless at creating my own tactics so maybe the presets are for me afterall, just if I can get over the feeling of guilt using them. 

Lol yeah believe me, im having the same issue. But man i tried enough with using an own tactic without succes sadly. It brought me only frustrations. Since FM 18 i was doing oke, but now with also the new tactic format its been harder for me. Dunno what it is but yeah. So now i just use the preset, looking at the tactic tweaks it has and then look from there what it does etc. maybe i can learn more with this start and later go into trying again to make an own tactic.

And you know you can make an effective tactic, i think its not hard, just look at those exploits tactic, full of agressive pressing etc. but i want to implement my own football vision and i still failed with it and not having good results so im done with it for now. 

And im having some enjoyment now with those preset tactics and much less frustrations so im oke with it for now. 

Edited by f.zaarour

20 minutes ago, f.zaarour said:

Lol yeah believe me, im having the same issue. But man i tried enough with using an own tactic without succes sadly. It brought me only frustrations. Since FM 18 i was doing oke, but now with also the new tactic format its been harder for me. Dunno what it is but yeah. So now i just use the preset, looking at the tactic tweaks it has and then look from there what it does etc. maybe i can learn more with this start and later go into trying again to make an own tactic.

And you know you can make an effective tactic, i think its not hard, just look at those exploits tactic, full of agressive pressing etc. but i want to implement my own football vision and i still failed with it and not having good results so im done with it for now. 

And im having some enjoyment now with those preset tactics and much less frustrations so im oke with it for now. 

I'm glad you are enjoying it more now mate, I should probably not be so stubborn and try the presets myself. I do like high aggressive pressing in real life football though so I would use it even if it wasn't OP, lol. 

With more free time I keep going back to this years game with new tactics, new saves, new ideas trying to get the most from it. And its just a dreadful match engine. What's even more dissapointing is that the game is going to be left in this state. 

vor 4 Stunden schrieb GPower88:

With more free time I keep going back to this years game with new tactics, new saves, new ideas trying to get the most from it. And its just a dreadful match engine. What's even more dissapointing is that the game is going to be left in this state. 

It has been SI policy since forever that they leave the game how it is no matter how bad the ME is . Like "it was the last patch . If you want an updated Match Engine then wait for FM 21 and pay for a new ME". 

Edited by haffaz77

13 hours ago, dolph11 said:

I've conceded so many ridiculous goals from my defenders dwelling on the ball when they have options!

Football manager is first and foremost an attributes game, without seeing your defenders attributes its a bit pointless going on about individual errors.

Set pieces are lethal from the AI, as are corners!

Same as before you need both the tactic/set piece set up correctly and the correct attributes. Even after this you're not 100% safe.

The AI counter attacks with such precision and penetrate so easily that it becomes obvious when it's gonna be a goal.

Once again this could be a combination of attributes and tactics.

d9fgwxml7fu41.thumb.jpg.17ade9e75223941b4913c847fb4a3075.jpg

Above is an image of a season I just had testing defending on the current match engine, with the correct attributes and the correct set pieces and can get good results. The problems with the match engine are in the final third for me, I can only get consistant results with brute force which doesn't feel rewarding.

55 minutes ago, TTarps said:

Football manager is first and foremost an attributes game, without seeing your defenders attributes its a bit pointless going on about individual errors.

Same as before you need both the tactic/set piece set up correctly and the correct attributes. Even after this you're not 100% safe.

Above is an image of a season I just had testing defending on the current match engine, with the correct attributes and the correct set pieces and can get good results. The problems with the match engine are in the final third for me, I can only get consistant results with brute force which doesn't feel rewarding.

The problem with your way of looking at it is you can attribute it to anything. There should be a concrete reason why my defenders get caught on the ball whilst turning their back and facing their goalkeeper and freezing. I see no reason for it. There are lots of things they could do instead of that particular thing a ridiculous amount of times per season. I've never seen it a football game, have you?

And, for your perusal, my two main centre-backs used for League 2. They are not the donkeys they appeared to be when defending in the ME. Both of them cost me a shed load of goals through lack of concentration, being out-jumped or dwelling on the ball and turning their back on play without passing it back to the keeper; the latter I wouldn't expect to see at a game of under 6's. Given that Harry Clarke isn't the tallest I expect him to lose a few duels aerially, but the rest of his stats are good. I have another Centre-Back who is also very good. My defence was an abomination visually. They look good stats wise. 

I reiterate, nothing tactically should be the cause of a defender pausing and just turning and facing his own goal and freezing when he can pass it back to the goalkeeper. Sometimes they do it when there are options. It was never on any other FM so it's not a thing that happens in football. Maybe once a season or something. It's ridiculous. It winds up to it being a faulty ME.

Harry Clarke_ Attributes.png

Enéias_ Attributes.png

Edited by dolph11

14 minutes ago, TTarps said:

Your two main defenders have bravery of 8 and 9? You might need to go back to basics before blaming the match engine.

So you're alluding to my defenders having bravery of 8 and 9 being the cause of everything? Do you know the attributes of the opposition who they were up against when I conceded? How does bravery attribute to dwelling on the ball? I hasten to add, one attribute in isolation shouldn't be a reason for anything in the game. 

You haven't really helped here. Please explain how my defenders having low bravery but good attributes elsewhere results in them dwelling on the ball often.

2 hours ago, TTarps said:

imo there's no point testing things with PSG. 

Test with Marseille or Lyon and see how frustrating it gets when strikers who are still otherwise "good" fluff wide open chances or one on ones consistently. I know because I have managed Marseille a lot. Benedetto is a good striker yet he somehow manages to blow open chances against far inferior Goalkeepers. 

4 minutes ago, dolph11 said:

dwelling on the ball often.

Could be many things, poor attributes lack of passing options - this could be tactical or the players attributes in the support duties. My point still stands you cant say you're conceding from set peices then have defenders who cant jump and have low bravery.

1 minute ago, Travis Bickle said:

imo there's no point testing things with PSG.

Why try and prove whether or not the match engine is faulty with a poor set of attributes. Its a waste of time because I know why my defender has made the mistake, it was his attributes. So I remove the attributes from the process.

1 minute ago, TTarps said:

Could be many things, poor attributes lack of passing options - this could be tactical or the players attributes in the support duties. My point still stands you cant say you're conceding from set peices then have defenders who cant jump and have low bravery.

Dude, it's one defender who's weak in the air. I'd Enaias is very good aerially. I accept i'll concede a few with Harry Clarke though. Now, it still shouldn't be 'that' easy to score from a deep indirect free kick, seriously. It's difficult to do! 

You do realise the goalkeeper is always an option, right? Furthermore, my players have options until they decide not to pass and then turn around where they could pass it back but chose not to. Is that down to bravery? 

1 minute ago, dolph11 said:

You do realise the goalkeeper is always an option, right? Furthermore, my players have options until they decide not to pass and then turn around where they could pass it back but chose not to. Is that down to bravery? 

Explain why I don't have this problem then? if my players are bad then I get the same problems if my players are good and are set up correctly then don't make the same problem. Rather than spending your time moaning on the forums go read bustthenets book or some older forum posts and learn. The game has problems but not your problems. Without seeing how play and understand the game this is pointless and a complete waste of time. You could be making really basic mistakes like attributes or duty allocation it really could be anything.

Why try and prove whether or not the match engine is faulty with a poor set of attributes. Its a waste of time because I know why my defender has made the mistake, it was his attributes. So I remove the attributes from the process.

But your players attributes are relevant to the level you play at. You understand that, right? The players I'm up against have similar attributes to my players. The strikers my defenders are up against also have low bravery or poor jumping. It's not as though my players with a couple of attributes lacking are up against players with better attributes. It's League 2. You're in Ligue Un so everything is still relative except you're the best team in there with players who have better attributes than 95% of the league. You're not gonna see many mistakes. 

1 minute ago, dolph11 said:

But your players attributes are relevant to the level you play at

Yes, but the lower you are the more you need to prioritise and focus on certain attributes. You aren't doing that by the looks of things.

Explain why I don't have this problem then? if my players are bad then I get the same problems if my players are good and are set up correctly then don't make the same problem. Rather than spending your time moaning on the forums go read bustthenets book or some older forum posts and learn. The game has problems but not your problems. Without seeing how play and understand the game this is pointless and a complete waste of time. You could be making really basic mistakes like attributes or duty allocation it really could be anything.

A quick question, as I believe you're not quite getting. How many times have you seen a defender, in possession of the ball with no options, turn with the ball and stop and try to shield it facing his onw goalkeeper without passing it back to the goalkeeper? I've maybe seen it once or twice.

Just now, TTarps said:

Yes, but the lower you are the more you need to prioritise and focus on certain attributes. You aren't doing that by the looks of things.

But, what if Harry Clarke's attributes are better than the player he's up against? Eneias' definitely are! There's no Striker in League 2 to match him. Why is he playing so ridiculously? 

Just now, dolph11 said:

But, what if Harry Clarke's attributes are better than the player he's up against? Eneias' definitely are! There's no Striker in League 2 to match him. Why is he playing so ridiculously? 

If its the match engine fault, then explain why I don't see these problems in my PSG example? Wouldn't I see the same problems even with better players? because you're saying its not the players its something else.

15 hours ago, ajw10 said:

Probably worst creative performance of the season. Didn't even set us up for long shots but my team decided to do so anyway.

I mean, you scored 8 goals against what is probably the most defensive formation there is and that's not good enough? How exactly do you expect to be "creative" against a side with 7+ players crammed inside their own box?

I'd be curious to see that tactic. 44 shots indicate a very offensive approach, which goes against you saying you "didn't set your team up for long shots".

15 minutes ago, TTarps said:

Poor attributes?

Marseille, Lyon, Monaco are good teams. Testing things with a team that is far overpowered compared to the rest of the league is pointless.

If its the match engine fault, then explain why I don't see these problems in my PSG example? Wouldn't I see the same problems even with better players? because you're saying its not the players its something else.

I have no idea, that's something I can't explain. I would say it shouldn't happen at all, no matter the tactic. I concede a lot of goals from set-pieces; direct and indirect. Maybe it's something they put in the game for lower league matches? I really don't know!

4 minutes ago, Travis Bickle said:

Testing things with a team that is far overpowered compared to the rest of the league is pointless.

If its the match engine thats the problem then attributes are irrelevant in the out come, PSG should suffer the same problems as other teams, so my players should still make loads of mistakes like missing CCC's  and conceding loads of goals from set pieces or giving the ball away in my own defensive third. But as you see in my example they don't. So is the the match engine? or is it the tactics and players.

3 minutes ago, TTarps said:

If its the match engine thats the problem then attributes are irrelevant in the out come, PSG should suffer the same problems as other teams, so my players should still make loads of mistakes like missing CCC's  and conceding loads of goals from set pieces or giving the ball away in my own defensive third. But as you see in my example they don't. So is the the match engine? or is it the tactics and players.

You are using a team far superior to everyone else in the league. I'm saying you need to try using a "good" but not "world class" team and see how it plays out.

45 minutes ago, Zemahh said:

I mean, you scored 8 goals against what is probably the most defensive formation there is and that's not good enough? How exactly do you expect to be "creative" against a side with 7+ players crammed inside their own box?

I'd be curious to see that tactic. 44 shots indicate a very offensive approach, which goes against you saying you "didn't set your team up for long shots".

My point is that it's far easier to score long range shots than it is to score from close range. You've missed my point if you think my gripe is not being able to create against ultra deep teams

Just a quick look on the ME bugs forum and they aknowledge many issues with the game which they claim they are aware of. This surely must gives credence to all the people here who point out that this year's ME is not in such a good state ?

1 hour ago, Travis Bickle said:

You are using a team far superior to everyone else in the league. I'm saying you need to try using a "good" but not "world class" team and see how it plays out.

Here's a quick half a season on fm touch. Still getting good results obviously not as good as my PSG example because my players are worse. Its an attributes game after all.

v3xsWPm.thumb.jpg.a437c9f77023b92f606c201956c9712b.jpg

3 hours ago, ajw10 said:

My point is that it's far easier to score long range shots than it is to score from close range. You've missed my point if you think my gripe is not being able to create against ultra deep teams

And my point is that you can't expect to see many clear cut chances against a Defensive 5-4-1 with 2 DMs. It's not just about what you want, your opposition has a game plan too.

Clearly in your case your attacking approach worked well, but you also can't use a tactic that generates 40+ shots and then moan that you don't see anything but long shot goals. A more patient, possession oriented approach would never come close to these numbers.

41 minuti fa, Zemahh ha scritto:

It's not just about what you want, your opposition has a game plan too.

Yes, and their plan was to let you shoot on goal 50 times! It was a success since you shoot on goal 40+ times only!

@ajw10 the guy above is right. I'd suggest you to play ultra-defensive, possibly a 5-5-0, very low LOD and LOE... I think you should possibly see less shots on goal. Try and let me know.

Strikers - take a bloody touch! Wide forwards please don't be quite so selfish and please, for the love of FM, stop stopping to cross when you should either pass or cross in on the run!

I was very pleased with the amends in a recent updates that seems to have made one on ones more realistic - not always scored but critically not always missed as had seemed to be the case - a huge improvement and huge thanks to the team for implementing

I am sure you are but can you please have a look at tweaking the logic for these things too..

• Strikers never seeming to take a touch. Completely get that sometimes it has to be taken first time and this will impact finishing; I also completely accept that it depends on the player having the capability and calmness to do so. BUT right now it seems that EVERY striker can only hit shots first time, I rarely see a player, even if all alone take a touch to steady themselves and slot it home as you see so often throughout leagues
  • Wide Players / Wingers / Marauding full-backs running 20-80 yards and almost never playing the pass rather than shooting or when a player collects a rebound to their or someone else's shot and laying it off rather than hitting a shot from impossible angles / when 5 players are in their way
  • Wide Players / Wingers / Marauding full-backs running clear of their markers seemingly doing what I just asked of them but stopping allowing the defender back and then doing a weird telegraphed cross attempt. I just feel more "on-the run" crosses or better still sometimes a clever pass with the outside of the foot in tight scenarios / pull backs would be a welcome addition to those scenarios. And if they have to stop then where is the attempt to gain a yard either way to get passed the player who is clearly now blocking the pass/cross they originally could have made
  • Players stopping Hollywood balls - why does my player literally always stop and try a 40-50 yard ball when there are three players closer that they could find - I have instructions like extremely short passing and work the ball into the box so there is no need to just lump it across the pitch - especially if your a striker and not the midfielder (or Trent) with the capability to make that pass

Thanks in advance

Edited by kevgaleuk
other thought

31 minutes ago, Federico said:

Yes, and their plan was to let you shoot on goal 50 times! It was a success since you shoot on goal 40+ times only!

The whole point of defensive tactics is to restrict space inside your box, which in turn leaves the opposition time on the ball everywhere else. If you mix that with a downloaded exploit tactic, which only works because it aims to overwhelm the opposition (such tactics are known to generate obscene number of shots), there's no wonder you end up seeing such numbers.

But what would I know, this thread is reserved for tactical geniuses like yourself who use it to vent their frustrations. I only wonder how come people like Rashidi, or majority of other regular posters in the Tactics Discussion forum, don't share your problems. Not everything is a match engine issue all of a sudden, maybe start with understanding the basics first. :brock:

Edited by Zemahh

32 minuti fa, Zemahh ha scritto:

Not everything is a match engine issue all of a sudden, maybe start with understanding the basics first. :brock:

Mmmmm. I think I personally don't need it but..

The whole point of defensive tactics is to restrict space inside your box, which in turn leaves the opposition time on the ball everywhere else.

... i'd rather say you need some understand of basic football in general instead and...

If you mix that with a downloaded exploit tactic, which only works because it aims to overwhelm the opposition (such tactics are known to generate obscene number of shots), there's no wonder you end up seeing such numbers.

... I would ask first before coming up stating someone attending this place since 15+ years is using a "downloaded exploit tactic" just to justify his abnormal number of shots. Which thing may happen, of course.

Now since I've been warned once already, I'll stop here.

If you felt provoked by my post, please accept my apologies.

But don't even think we are stupids.

1 hour ago, Zemahh said:

And my point is that you can't expect to see many clear cut chances against a Defensive 5-4-1 with 2 DMs. It's not just about what you want, your opposition has a game plan too.

Clearly in your case your attacking approach worked well, but you also can't use a tactic that generates 40+ shots and then moan that you don't see anything but long shot goals. A more patient, possession oriented approach would never come close to these numbers.

Again, I wasn't moaning about the lack of clear cut chances I was highlighting that it's easier to score from long range in a match against a team playing defensive than it is playing against a more open team. Because it's easier to score from 30 yards on this game than it is from 3. How are you not getting my point??

On 24/04/2020 at 18:20, ajw10 said:

What a load of rubbish.

Erling Haaland_ Form.png

Erling Haaland_ Stats.png

15 goals in 22 games with an average rating of 7.46, and you are complaining about his performance? What on earth are you expecting here? So he has had a run of bad form, that is a normal part of football. 

22 hours ago, ajw10 said:

Arsenal v Bournemouth_ Match Stats.png

You are complaining after winning 8-0? What? Why? You clearly created 8 goals. 

The above two things are good examples of seriously unrealistic expectations. I cannot fathom how either of these two things are criticisms. 

23 hours ago, dolph11 said:

Set pieces are lethal from the AI, as are corners!

They are just as lethal for a human, it is one of the more irritating things about the ME this year. If the AI can do it, you can do it. 

36 minutes ago, ajw10 said:

How are you not getting my point??

Probably because you keep changing "your point" with every post you make.

You said this:

23 hours ago, ajw10 said:

Probably worst creative performance of the season. Didn't even set us up for long shots but my team decided to do so anyway.

How else do you interpret "worst creative performance" if not by the lack of clear cut chances shown in your screenshot (44 shots, 1 clear cut chance)?

I simply pointed out that A) winning 8-0 is an exceptional result, especially against a parked bus and B) that you wouldn't see that amount of shots (30 long shots) if your team wasn't set up for it. Your team doesn't just "do so anyway", therefore your tactic probably isn't made for what you want.

Aimless long shots happen when players have no passing options, or have specific player traits or instructions, but 30 of them suggest you're playing on a high mentality combined with a lot of attack duties, meaning your players end up having Very Attacking individual mentalities and a lot of creative freedom. That may be the reason why your team "does so anyway", rather than there being a problem with the match engine, which you posting that in the official feedback thread would suggest.

Edited by Zemahh

3 minutes ago, Zemahh said:

Probably because you keep changing "your point" with every post you make.

You said this:

How else do you interpret "worst creative performance" if not by the lack of clear cut chances shown in your screenshot (44 shots, 1 clear cut chance)?

I simply pointed out that A) winning 8-0 is an exceptional result, especially against a parked bus and B) that you wouldn't see that amount of shots (30 long shots) if your team wasn't set up for it. Your team doesn't just "do so anyway", therefore your tactic probably isn't made for what you want.

Aimless long shots happen when players have no passing options, or have specific player traits or instructions, but 30 of them suggest you're playing on a high mentality combined with a lot of attack duties, meaning your players end up having Very Attacking individual mentalities and a lot of creative freedom. That may be the reason why your team "does so anyway", rather than there being a problem with the match engine, which you posting that in the official feedback thread would suggest.

It makes sense if you actually read my previous posts. You know what the word "context" means right?

13 minutes ago, Travis Bickle said:

Why do players who cut in from the wing never square it even when the man is wide open? 

Sometimes PPM's can conspire against you. I know one I struggle to deal with enormously on FM is shoots from distance. You can attempt to build up a set of PPM's that force a player to behave more like you'd want. I personally end up doubling down on shoot less often and the looks for pass rather than score PPM to mitigate it. 

I would assume ultimately the calculation is that the player should feel confident they can finish the chance themselves. I just had to reconcile some instances of events I found difficult to believe. I often can't help but think of it very much in the same way as I would when playing FIFA that as long as the ball goes in, I've scored, no matter who scores it. Actual players aren't like that though, and a personal chance at glory should perhaps get more consideration. Particularly if the square ball relies on playing it with their weaker foot, or while moving at considerable speed. 

2 minutes ago, santy001 said:

Sometimes PPM's can conspire against you. I know one I struggle to deal with enormously on FM is shoots from distance. You can attempt to build up a set of PPM's that force a player to behave more like you'd want. I personally end up doubling down on shoot less often and the looks for pass rather than score PPM to mitigate it. 

I would assume ultimately the calculation is that the player should feel confident they can finish the chance themselves. I just had to reconcile some instances of events I found difficult to believe. I often can't help but think of it very much in the same way as I would when playing FIFA that as long as the ball goes in, I've scored, no matter who scores it. Actual players aren't like that though, and a personal chance at glory should perhaps get more consideration. Particularly if the square ball relies on playing it with their weaker foot, or while moving at considerable speed. 

That's fair, I use Inside Forwards almost exclusively so my AML is right footed and my AMR is left footed, although I have a strong preference for players who can use either foot if I can find one equal in ability to my current IFs. However, I am in January 2023 on my save, I've managed 3 clubs in 3 different nations and I've very rarely seen square balls even when using natural wingers. I'll probably win the league somewhat early this year so I might try experimenting a bit and seeing if I can get my wide players to cut inside and then square it or cut back. 

Thanks for the response.

This is just so sad: Every day I get excited to play FM due to the brilliant strides they have made in the functionality off the ME. Then I open up a match to see Set Piece Simulator in full swing.

I thought SI were actively stomping on the bugs when they released a public beta in Feb but that just seems to be like an eyewash as they straight up stopped as usual after .3. It's so painful to play this version where the only wins despite all your efforts to prevent them come from either Long Shots or Set pieces.

AI set piece, especially IDFKs is overpowered IMHO. Somehow, I have manage to stop concede goals from there [edited defend IDFK (Deep & Wide)], but another issue has been raise: If you successfully stop attackers scoring from far post - back at your defend / unmarked, then, the ball inside your box will be like "ping pong"; and guess what. Always ST or whom inside the box will score. Also, I am scoring in the same way as AI (if AI can do it, you can do the same).

I know, "post PKM" or raise a bug report; but I don't think this a bug. It has been designed that way.

I hope FM22 (FM21 have unclear future?; who knows) will see a revamp of set pieces, along side with set pieces coaches (already suggested).

Training

• Is there a way to save / export schedules you create in calendar view (if not can there be?) Often I work out what I am doing based on the games played and games coming up which is easier in calendar view. It would be great to be able to save those as you can when you build in "create a schedule" mode - just wondering if I am missing something?
  • Second is there a way to create or save a 2 weeks schedules i.e. if I create 2 weeks for an international break I'd like to be able to copy that and paste it into the next two week window I identify
  • Finally is it possible to go back into a previous months training to be able to copy something we did and paste it forward. My back arrow is disabled and can't seem to find a way to do so

Thanks

2 minutes ago, kevgaleuk said:

Training

• Is there a way to save / export schedules you create in calendar view (if not can there be?) Often I work out what I am doing based on the games played and games coming up which is easier in calendar view. It would be great to be able to save those as you can when you build in "create a schedule" mode - just wondering if I am missing something?
  • Second is there a way to create or save a 2 weeks schedules i.e. if I create 2 weeks for an international break I'd like to be able to copy that and paste it into the next two week window I identify
  • Finally is it possible to go back into a previous months training to be able to copy something we did and paste it forward. My back arrow is disabled and can't seem to find a way to do so

Thanks

You have the options when you create new schedules to "Save As" and "Export".

Look at bottom right.

20 minutes ago, Cadoni said:

You have the options when you create new schedules to "Save As" and "Export".

Look at bottom right.

Thanks for the reply - I meant when you create the schedule in "calendar view" not in the "create a schedule" page