Football Manager 2020 January & February Transfer Updates Feedback Thread

1 minute ago, Jibby123 said:

but some speak like SI have driven the SI bus over their cat and forgot to apologise. 

Conversely, some people are like.....Si please run over my cat. :lol:

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We are lucky we have so many dedicated and passionate Football Manager fans who all want the best for the game. The people who post on these forums are the ones who seem to care the most - to want to show where the game is going wrong and how it can be improved.  I know a lot of players who aren't gamers but the only game they will play is FM, so they would never even think of looking for a forum to post on. They would just play the game and turn it off and get on with life. 

This is why it's always so intense on here. We just want it to be it's best.  I agree with all the communication concerns on here but hopefully going forward in place for FM21 there will be someone dedicated for public relations (maybe the person who runs the FM Twitter account?) Transparency is key. I've played the game all my life - I've been signed up to these forums since 2005. I've seen every version and the complaints for different ones. I can remember the pain and frustration of FM 09.

My only issue left with this ME is the set pieces (which SI are aware of) -  If just that was fixed then I would be more than happy to put all my time in the game but we know it's not as simple as reducing set pieces. It's what leads to those set pieces and before that has to be tweaked. This is the issue with a yearly release but what we do need to understand is that even though FM sells a lot of copies - the actual team is very small and they can't afford to not do yearly release or they'll quickly go out of business. 

32 minutes ago, tts0 said:

I did. Still too much nonsense for me. I dream of a day when I be able to choose which option/module(or whatever its called) I want to use in my gameplay. Like you dont like scouting? Just disable scouting; or maybe you do like press conferences, so enable it. Or maybe you want to be DoF and simulate through seasons in 30 minutes? Why not? I just cant understand why this stuff isnt in the game yet? Other sports management games, far inferior to FM, have had it for years. And its so much fun as you can play the game trully your way.

Dude, you can basically ask your ass man, coaches, scouts to do everything for you already!

42 minutes ago, fuddledfox said:

I played every version from CM2 up to FM17 but by the end of that versions cycle I was burnt out by the game and had really lost interest in the amount of detail and time it took to play.

I migrated over to just playing the Mobile but that is very much a marmite version that you either love and “get” or you don’t. Personally I enjoy it as I have found other ways to play the game that I enjoy and suit that game but I would never recommend it as an alternative to the PC version as it lacks the depth for most people. I have also recently picked up the Touch version which I have enjoyed but it certainly hasn’t made me want to go back to full fat FM. Personally I have found the ME and tactics similar to FM17 but that may be that my tactics and style of play (down the wings and crosses) that have always been my preference suit this years game.

I have been reading the winter update feedback thread over the last few days with interest. It seems there is a lot of negativity towards that ME some probably justified and some not or at least not to the extent that some people seem to think.

What I notice is how many people state the number of hours they have played previous versions of the game and then say this year they won’t get close to that. What I wonder is how much of this disaffection with the game is linked to simply burnout because as much as the game advances and evolves it is still essentially the same game with the same aims each year?

Every year there is always a vocal group of people who are dissatisfied with the game and of course the game isn’t perfect and never will be but perhaps burnout needs to be factored into this as well and the fact that sometimes a break or a change in which version you play is needed.

I've just gone back to FM18 and loving it. So it's not that I'm burnt out I just got almost no enjoyment from playing FM20. 

37 minutes ago, KUBI said:

@tts0

Did you try FM Touch, because this version offers exactly what you want?

Although I play FMT, it is hugely let down by the lack of an editor/custom databases.

20.4.0 is as good as it gets for us FMT players. While full-fat players will be updating databases at the end of the season and be able to play with up-to-date data, we’ll be stuck with out-of-date data. All because of the stupid in-game cash micro-transactions and tying it to the tablet version. I’m sorry, but I just don’t want a crippled PC game just so someone can play it on a Nintendo Switch.

If 20.4.0 is considered the ‘final’ release, we’ve essentially got 3 months of up-to-date data and (supposedly) no bugs. For a product that is released every 12 months it is a bit rubbish.

Bring back FM Classic for PC/Mac (with editor/databases and no in-game transactions) and separate off FMT for tablets and consoles. 

11 minutes ago, Tyburn said:

Dude, you can basically ask your ass man, coaches, scouts to do everything for you already!

I know that and I do so. Yet it doesnt change the fact that all that stuff affects simulation. You will still be bothered with tons of messages, screens etc. thatvyou dont care about. I just want to simulate from game to game with one click on continue button? Why I cant do so anymore? I cant holyday through either cuz then i might miss some nonsense player interactions wich gonna kill teams morale or whatever. It would be so much better if the sim stopped only for big injuries and transfer offers, like it used to. Yet it stops for anything and then force me through in-game social media screen. Give me a break.

36 minutes ago, tts0 said:

I cant holyday through either cuz then i might miss some nonsense player interactions wich gonna kill teams morale or whatever.

I have saves where I holiday entire seasons without having to bother with player interactions, so it can be done. In fact, player interactions are the least of my concerns. I am more concerned with overplaying specific players by the ass man thereby leading to injury.  I wish there was an option in the game to tell the assistant manager to be careful with the use of certain players. Or at least,  a priority system for players in specific positions, so that he doesn't overplay or play specific players in positions I don't like. I know we have the option to save a lineup and to specify a tactic, I still think the holiday options for the assman are too limited. We could incorporate these into match plans. 3 goals up, and have a substitution priority. It's really lacking in the game. I do at least 2 full on holiday mode kind of saves each year and this year is no different. I even showed people on Twitch while playing FM on one computer,  the holiday mode save running on another computer. It was hilarious cos the ass man was actually doing better than me.  As I get older and older, I start getting lazier and lazier with this game. 

FM20, don't wanna scout - ask DOF to make all the recommendations 
FM20 don't wanna play - ask ass man to play for you
FM20 don't wanna train - ask assman to train for you
FM20 don't wanna do press conferences - delegate

I thought match plans was going to be the next great tool, don't wanna make tactical changes, if they play the 532 then switch to the 4231, but it didn't quite go that way.  Now if it did.......

Was it a deliberate choice to remove the attributes search from the “add conditions” for staff? I know you can click on “pick attributes” but unless this is an unfixed bug I can’t imagine why this option was removed...

21 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

To change and evolve such detailed and comprehensive code takes time across multiple disciplines. Planning, reviewing, implementing and testing. As part of this we've always found our community extremely important in the process of constant improvement. Alongside our dedicated match team, which includes qualified coaches and ex-professional footballers, you help provide the knowledge and feedback that is constantly reviewed by the development team and helps shape everything you see in game.

- Then release it every two years; With just some extra features (not involving the ME) and DB-update in-between... Like so many other game developers, not necessarily releasing a brand new game every year... Don´t get it simply.

Edited by Toonrock

11 minutes ago, Toonrock said:

- Then release it every two years; With just some extra features (not involving the ME) and DB-update in-between... Like so many other game developers, not necessarily releasing a brand new game every year... Don´t get it simply.

You could buy it every two years if that would make you happier.

8 minutes ago, prot651 said:

There is a catch though and its summed up in one word …...MONEY

I don´t believe actually - I would be curious to know, how many people would actually be happy with paying full for a DB-update plus extra features...

The ones I play with online, all would.

I mean; When people obviously say, that they do not wish to buy the game again because they are unhappy with it, but still end up doing so - Why would they stop buying it, when the ME has been proper taken care of, but just have a similar look for two years(?)

Edited by Toonrock

Maybe people should make use of some the of options SI is providing to have better decision making whether to buy the game or not. How often do I see "Is FM20 better than FMXX?". There is a fricking demo with the full release!
I also wonder how people always put their ME expectations blindly as a requirement to the new version. SI is always stating that they improved the ME during the marketing campaing ('improved' is quite subjective, so dont try to argue its not improved. It might not be improved for your sense of realism. Fair.). There are no claims that 'central play' is working better right now (if there is, than i apologize, but show me the link).
So maybe people should stop thinking that their version of a improved ME is the same as SI'.

And tbf if I check the feedback forums 80% is pure garbage. Either bc of the underlying data that is used to make a point or by the perception of what is realistic.

Do I think the ME is flawless? No. Do I think its bad? No.

vor 5 Stunden schrieb Welshace:

Genuinely shocked at this,  you've essentially told a thread full of your customers and more passionate fans that they are wrong and they don't matter because they are just a drop in the ocean of the amount of games sold and money made...  

Can I ask Neil, or anyone who feels they have the authority to answer, where do we go from here? do you think we should stop playing the game if we aren't happy with the engine in its current form? Is your post suggesting we don't buy the next either, because, as you mentioned, the team are happy with how it's working and progressing? 

I guess i'm basically asking, is this the devs way of suggesting maybe that everyone who isn't happy with the ME should probably just go away as the team doesn't recognise their concerns as valid?

Its just hubris from the sales they made, I certainly wont buy fm again .

I hope the made enough new fans with the extensive marketing campaigns , which seems where the majority of innovation and money goes to.

vor 4 Stunden schrieb themadsheep2001:

The last few pages have probably summed up with communication is so difficult. Not matter what is said, Neil gets pulled apart, or his words get twisted to suit the agenda of those replying, or in some cases he gets deliberately misrepresented or abused, and a lot of it is coming from the same people who want more communication. Its a two way street, if this is going to be the reaction, why would they attempt more communication? If you're going to treat every post with cynicism to the point where they can't actually say what they're trying to say, then you can't have that communication. 

you need more than empty pr statements to really engage with the community .

The statement was almost an exact copy of what he said last year, thats not really communication , thats saying something while actually saying as little as possible while praising your own brand 

• Administrators
19 minutes ago, Toonrock said:

So much for freedom of speech (when having a concept/idea in pdf deleted)..  This forum is getting way to censured and suppressed.

You've posted it multiple times already. It's not really adding anything to the discussion to be spamming it so it's been removed. 

1 hour ago, Toonrock said:

I don´t believe actually - I would be curious to know, how many people would actually be happy with paying full for a DB-update plus extra features...

The ones I play with online, all would.

I mean; When people obviously say, that they do not wish to buy the game again because they are unhappy with it, but still end up doing so - Why would they stop buying it, when the ME has been proper taken care of, but just have a similar look for two years(?)

I'd honestly pay $20 right now for a DB update for FM18 and I'd be delighted with the transaction to be honest. 

But if they did that they'd get slaughtered for just doing a DB update and not adding anything new to the game. 

The issue being for me its been a few years since we reached a point where what they can add is needless fluff or taking something we already had, giving it a new screen and some polish and calling it a new feature. Or taking a minor kinda pointless feature and expanding it into a bigger still as pointless but unskipable one. 

• Administrators
2 hours ago, prot651 said:

There is a catch though and its summed up in one word …...MONEY

Always find it odd when people use 'money' like it's a dirty word. The more money the studio makes, the more money can be invested on resources for the game. 

14 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

Always find it odd when people use 'money' like it's a dirty word. The more money the studio makes, the more money can be invested on resources for the game. 

Because whilst we've built a world where money is a necessary evil - it's still an evil.  Money corrupts everything it touches - especially when that something is art.

As an obvious example (and clearly a rhetorical question) - how much of SI's financial resources get poured into the black hole of licensing fees?

Edited by rp1966

As I have been issued a warning and one of my posts got deleted, I would really like to apologise everyone that got offended by anything I wrote. Its always the case for me speaking english(Im much nicer in spanish or... german).

That being said, I completely dissagree with the way its been handeled therefore with politics of this forum and all that. So Im done.

Whats the point of writing anything here, when your post could get deleted cuz someone got offended or taged you as a spammer? I made my argument - valid or not - it was there. If you dissagree, then throw your argument at me, thats the way discussion goes, I think. Or maybe not.

That warning note should have been a regular reply within this thread.

Anyways, I withstand my statement(atbleast the core of it) regarding the state and direction this game been going for quite a while. Its not for me anymore. Thank God there are some other games and forums that I can enjoy myself with. FM-wise maybe 21 will be my lucky number.

5 minutes ago, kiwityke1983 said:

I'm sure as someone who works in the games industry you'd be aware why Money is a dirty word in gaming in 2020.

It's literally destroying it. 

Gambling sold to children as surprise mechanics etc (loot boxes). 

Parts of games cut out and sold back to people as DLC. 

Changes of hair colour sold for $1 a time. 

The list is almost endless.

I must say SI are probably the only games company who doesn't partake of any of these practices which they should be congratulated on. 

Sorry, but play FMT and look at the in-game transactions. £3 for a cash injection into club, dream transfer, generate a son, bla bla bla...

13 minutes ago, eencae said:

Sorry, but play FMT and look at the in-game transactions. £3 for a cash injection into club, dream transfer, generate a son, bla bla bla...

I don't play FMT...

I'll be honest I almost never buy new games. I've been taught by years of experience to just buy games after a year at half the price. 

Usually as for half the price I get the actual full game and all the DLC they cut out and sold back to people. 

16 minutes ago, davehanson said:

Who has twisted his words or abused him?

I can see a lot of people who are not agreeing with him. This is a forum where people will all have different ideas and views. Is it a criteria of this forum now where we all have to totally agree with the mods and SI staff or we get told we are abusing them? 

There's been plenty of removed abusive posts Dave. Let's leave at that and move on since you are not party to seeing said posts. 

2 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

There's been plenty of removed abusive posts Dave. Let's leave at that and move on since you are not party to seeing said posts. 

That is unacceptable then. Regardless of what people think of the game and it's state there is no need for any kind of abuse. Sorry to have questioned it.

In all honesty, now the game is all patched, it’s not as bad as it was when it was released. The game outside of the ME is in the best shape it’s ever been in IMO, the ME isn’t perfect, it’s not unplayable but is one of the most boring and repetitive ME’s we’ve had in years, and certainly needs improving on regardless of SI’s external beliefs. The ME over the Christmas period absolutely stank.

One thing that really has irked me on this edition is that after every patch there seems to be a new bug, which has meant I’ve had to wait again for another patch, and felt I’ve struggled to really get going into a save. Now I don’t know if these are just Mac related  issues, as I’ve seen some of the same issues reported by other Mac users, like the adboards displaying wrong colours in the stadium, YouTube not syncing, highlights not saving/exporting, fans in overdrive on macs, 1st transfer window disabled, poor fixture scheduling etc. For me, there hasn’t been enough care with the patches, it’s been scatty at best and I’m still left with issues that I’d like resolving (which I’ve posted in the bugs section) but I fear we have our last patch now and they won’t get resolved(?).

I’m still playing FM20, but I don’t have huge choice as I can’t go back to most my previous FM back catalogue because my new Mac doesn’t support 32bit anymore, and it’s a great time filler in and around work plus I enjoy the editing side of things. Can’t even load up CM01/02.

Overall I’m on the disappointed side of the fence for FM20 and for the first time ever I’m seriously considering not pre-ordering FM21 and waiting until later in the cycle (March) when it seems the game is at its best, SI are better than this year’s overall product and delivery, hopefully it’s just been an off year.

Outside ME: 8/10

Inside ME: 6/10

Patch satisfaction: 6/10

Edited by stevemc

Can SI please put a time limit on how long it takes a club to make a decision on hiring you? I apply for a job, the club has a huge CL playoff Knockout tie in 3 weeks from the date of the interview. They hire me 2 days before the actual game. It's totally stupid, let me repeat, stupid, and doesn't match reality at all. If they hired me or someone else even a week before there'd be time to prepare the team. 

8 minutes ago, Travis Bickle said:

Can SI please put a time limit on how long it takes a club to make a decision on hiring you? I apply for a job, the club has a huge CL playoff Knockout tie in 3 weeks from the date of the interview. They hire me 2 days before the actual game. It's totally stupid, let me repeat, stupid, and doesn't match reality at all. If they hired me or someone else even a week before there'd be time to prepare the team. 

Let me add to this, the team I took over also played a bunch of friendlies that were way above their level so the whole team is on very low morale. As you know, morale is way overpowered in this game. So my tie is basically over before it begins. I tested this taking over from the start of the season and the results were totally different. 

You guys really struggle fixing the basic things wrong with your game. 

Every discussion about football is passionate, much more emotional then rational. Football Manager couldn't be different. This is why football is such a beloved sport. Brings passion to the very top.

The game is not broken in any way, shape or form. And some posts here seem purely untrue, to not call them abusive. But everyone of us that actively participates in football groups, knows that passionate discussions with lots of exageration (for both sides of the table) are our daily bread. 

I can only say that I'm happy with Football Manager. Got angry these last couple weeks cause an obvious mistake didn't merit an hotfix and we had to wait for a full update, but that's really the only complain in many years of satisfaction. ME is not and will never be perfect, but some people talk about the ME like it's the most attrocious thing made by Homo sapiens. But that brings me back to the first point. It's football!

Edited by 99

To be honest outside of ME its the most complete FM clearly.

Then for the tactical side there is really what to do. And if you can't, people can help you. 

Because if everyone yells it's because you lose.

If you win we can't hear you anymore. Hilarious.

The ME is not at the top ok ! But the fluidity of movements, passes, actions and others remains beautiful !

The only real problem is the sets pièces.

Otherwise i have none. 

7 minutes ago, LOVEFMyeah said:

Then for the tactical side there is really what to do. And if you can't, people can help you. 

The ME is not at the top ok ! But the fluidity of movements, passes, actions and others remains beautiful !

Otherwise i have none. 

The way I see it, outside of the most important thing, it's the most FM clearly. Which isn't much good...

2 hours ago, Travis Bickle said:

Let me add to this, the team I took over also played a bunch of friendlies that were way above their level so the whole team is on very low morale. As you know, morale is way overpowered in this game. So my tie is basically over before it begins. I tested this taking over from the start of the season and the results were totally different. 

You guys really struggle fixing the basic things wrong with your game. 

You made this assumption morale is overpowered, but is this actually proven? The only properly documented time this has been true is FM12 on launch. I'm not sure they can be taken to task for something they haven't said (as far as I can't tell) is broken

30 minutes ago, LOVEFMyeah said:

Otherwise i have none. 

Movement of the striker is just awful. Central play is poor even if you gear everything towards it tactically the ball will still go wide way more than it should. I'm usually pretty positive and before I'd put in some proper time was happy with the ME after the hot fix, but the more I play, the more repetitive I find it with positions and roles not being represented with any difference in terms of movements you see.

Two years in a row. That's certainly one way to upset your loyalist of fans. I'd actually argue AI vs AI on FIFA or PES puts out a more realistic game of football than the current match engine. Watching games on full highlights the past couple of versions has been awful. It's hard not to get excited when the next game gets announced, but it's going to take a lot for me to even pay attention to FM announcements going forward.

6 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

You made this assumption morale is overpowered, but is this actually proven? The only properly documented time this has been true is FM12 on launch. I'm not sure they can be taken to task for something they haven't said (as far as I can't tell) is broken

Am I not allowed an opinion? An opinion many others have upvoted repeatedly? 

Shots on target need to be looked at. A lot.

I said F it today and tried booting up the game to see if I could muster the match engine and ignore the issues that I personally believe are there...

Started a new save with my favorite, Burnley. TWENTY minutes into the first game of the season, at home to Brighton, I'd amassed TEN shots on target. What in the actual? I ended up having 17 shots on target, to Brighton's 8. 

Won the game 4-2. Balanced tactic, flat 4-4-2, nothing special.

Next game, away to Leicester - 45 minutes played, Leicester have TWELVE shots on target. They were 2-0 up at half time, Nick Pope had made ten saves. Do you have any idea how rare ten saves in a game is for a goalkeeper, in the prem? Matt Ryan, as I said, had thirteen saves in the game against me that match prior.

I lost 3-1 at Leicester, they managed 19(!!) shots on target.

The average "shots on target" in real life premier league is around 9, counting BOTH teams' efforts over 90 minutes. 

Tim Krul has the Premier League record for most saves in a game IRL, 14. Nick Pope made 16 saves in my game against Leicester.

Had to step away again, gave it a last shot, but alas. 
Now this is not something I'm saying is gamebreaking for people's enjoyment of the game, but personally, as someone who values the simulation aspect and like to make comparisons to real life, the amount of shots on target/keeper saves in this game is unreal.

I also played a friendly against some admittedly ***** team leading up to the season. Won 11-0..okay, fine.. I had FIFTY SIX shots in total(30 on target).

Edited by yandex

4 minutes ago, Travis Bickle said:

Am I not allowed an opinion? An opinion many others have upvoted repeatedly? 

I didn't say you aren't allowed an opinion. But that doesn't mean it's true. So how could SI even begin to address it? Do we even know for sure morale is broken? 

@themadsheep2001 this is a kind of dialogue - https://steamcommunity.com/app/281990/allnews/ 

172 newsletters for 4 years in Steam only, without own official community (they call this 'Plaza')

409727514_Image1.thumb.png.95a0d54f4d9b1adf94a1119d36d1f62d.png

I could share more examples from big studios and small indi developers but see no reason to spam.

SI even didn't clarify own agenda about ME after 20.3. People asked to clear 'No chance' or 'It will be possibly, but no 100%'. Just this is enough, but looks like there are no any respect for people who update database, add bugs, buy the product. Just can't understand this.

Just now, themadsheep2001 said:

I didn't say you aren't allowed an opinion. But that doesn't mean it's true. So how could SI even begin to address it? 

If enough people complain about something, maybe there's a point to it? 

I've brought this up many times. I had a journeyman save, I took over some team 19th in Spain and like 7 pts off of safety. 10 games in I'd won way more than I'd lost and we were safe. All of a sudden my players "can't get past my lack of experience", morale drops and it is impossible to win from then on. It is not "my tactics". Plenty of people have agreed with me on this. We are allowed opinions. I am sure SI could tone down the effect of morale by 20%. 

3 minutes ago, Travis Bickle said:

If enough people complain about something, maybe there's a point to it? 

I've brought this up many times. I had a journeyman save, I took over some team 19th in Spain and like 7 pts off of safety. 10 games in I'd won way more than I'd lost and we were safe. All of a sudden my players "can't get past my lack of experience", morale drops and it is impossible to win from then on. It is not "my tactics". Plenty of people have agreed with me on this. We are allowed opinions. I am sure SI could tone down the effect of morale by 20%. 

Just because people agree with you doesn't make it fact (doesn't make it wrong necessarily mind) but again why would Si lower the effect of morale? For what documented reason? Im not having a go. But if they don't feel it's an issue, one has to show them a reason why. 

Just now, themadsheep2001 said:

Just because people agree with you doesn't make it fact (doesn't make it wrong necessarily mind) but again why would Si lower the effect of morale? For what documented reason? Im not having a go. But if they don't feel it's an issue, one has to show them a reason why. 

Because I've just stated the evidence above. If I still had the save I'd share it. If SI don't feel it is a problem fair. I am expressing a strong opinion of mine as a paying customer. 

I don’t know if morale is overpowered, but it is certainly different than previous iterations. In FM 19, if I had a played undeservedly asking for a contract, and I shut him down, I could still trust him to play and play well. In FM 20, this is much more difficult. This aspect is more realistic.

But morale also fluctuates pretty wildly: players can go into a game with superb morale, and if it’s 0-0 at half-time, even with my team dominating, the morale is down several notches. Maybe my squad doesn’t have a good personality, but if my team is that weak-willed, I shouldn’t be able to yell at them aggressively and get a 90%+ green reaction every time.