Jump to content
Sports Interactive Community
Neil Brock

Football Manager 2020 January & February Transfer Updates Feedback Thread

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Travis Bickle said:

Do you need a new save for the greek taxes to work? @KUBI @Neil Brock

A new save would be required, yep as it's a data change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lucas said:

A new save would be required, yep as it's a data change.

Cheers for the quick response. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Sharkn20 said:

@Neil Brock @KUBI is today's update the last one? I want to start a new save when everything is in place. Thanks in advance.

Yeah would be nice to get a hint - I´m still to start my first career game on FM20, simply because it´s not fun anymore to play the game when it changes ME doing the 4 month process (Nov - Mar).

Hope (really hope) they will re-think their business model in future editions (Like the suggestion I had forwarded them, something similar at least - see attached).

SI.pdf

Otherwise, definitely will be buying the game no earlier than 1st of March 2021.

Edited by Toonrock

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I don't start a new game, what am I actually missing out on in this update?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
vor 4 Minuten schrieb jmc1980:

If I don't start a new game, what am I actually missing out on in this update?

20.4.0 Update Changes including (but not limited to):
------------------------------------------------------------------------
- Further database updates covering February transfer window
- Fix for 'Disable First Transfer Window Activity'
- Competition tweaks and updates across a number of leagues 
 

Those things need a new save.  (Disable First transfer could work, if you are early in a save)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Welshace said:

The only feedback I can give is that this version is going to go down as my least played as I have no plans to continue playing having seen certain issues haven't been fixed that I consider massively important to the experience.. to say i'm disappointed would be massively understating it, and my faith in the company in terms of taking the game forward has taken a beating...

 

I hope i'm wrong, we'll see for next edition.

fair play for saying this. you've been a strong contributor to the community for a long time and I think given the last two years people need to start speaking up like this as you have done there above. well done

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, rp1966 said:

You are right to an extent, but the point about the FM17 comparison was about balance - that even though the defence doesn't simulate things as well as FM20 with its pressing and LOE/LOD options, it is far better balanced between attack and defence - teams come out and give you a game which makes for a much better gaming experience. 

You can't seriously improve the defensive side of a football game without also balancing that with attacking changes in the same ME version, otherwise you get what we have this year - a one dimensional unbalanced mess, where virtually every game is played like a Mourinho-about-to-be-sacked bus-parking horror show unless the teams are of matching reputation and form.

 

I've seen a lot of people talking about how we should just go back to the FM17 engine as if that's the way forward, and I don't think it is.  "Teams come out and give you a game" and for the most part got absolutely battered because they weren't smart enough to sit back, and even if they did the defensive part of the game was as such they ended up getting rolled over anyway. 

This community asked for a smarter AI for years, and these are some of the steps the game has taken to improve that aspect.

Again, I agree the attacking part of the game isn't where it should be, but it's also not like it's impossible to score goals. Teams are harder to break down, but the game still allows for plenty of goals.

People are acting like the previous FM's were some glorious creations when they were equally as frustrating. My FM19 save with Napoli resulted in practically no one coming forward against me and it was boring at times (especially when Juventus at home sat back with everyone except a 37 yr old Ronaldo in their own half), and it was an absolute pain in the arse to break them down, but that's the the development that people have been asking for for years. 

Again the question remains, would people on here rather have an AI and a tactical creator that doesn't allow you to have a set up defensive system like FM19 provides? 

1 hour ago, Mitja said:

You won't miss any of those new instructions with FM17. Teams will normally defend narrower when ball reaches penalty area. I wonder how's LOE any different to what's been called simply Closing Down? Defensive Width option is good idea but it's implementation is poor or very one dimensional. All teams are using it with more defensive tactics which shouldn't be the case. It's use should be limited against narrow formations or against teams that have extra men in midfield. You never see team defending so narrow leaving flanks totally open. 

 

Hard disagree on this tbh. To act like what we've got now doesn't provide us with a far more refined defensive system is silly imo. FM17 gave you a defensive line and closing down instructions. FM20 gives us defensive line, LOE, defensive width,  pressing down urgency, as well as the transition options of instantly regrouping upon losing the ball to solidify shape, or counter pressing to disrupt your shape. We have so many more options now, and it's a far better system than that of old. 

All teams are using it because for the most part all teams like to get compact and narrow and force balls into the box where they feel comfortable defending crosses. Atletico Madrid did this to Liverpool just last week. 

Edited by WelshMourinho

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gerade eben schrieb Cadoni:

@KUBI

Do we need to clear the cache folder after update?

That's always a good idea, but not a must. If you encounter crashes or graphical issues this could fix it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all your work SI.

We ALL want a better game. There is no way, literally no way SI think “yep, that’s it. We’ve cracked it. This game can not be improved. It’s perfect”.

There needs to be perspective. Everything they tell us is correct. It’s a process. It strikes me that some people here believe SI to be some kind of wizard or something. Like it can all just magically happen when we click our fingers.

There have been some great critical posts in this thread. When I say great, I mean constructive, well thought out and well executed. They are so obvious it’s crazy. I have no doubt these points will be picked up by SI.

I’ve said it before. It’s a journey. A process. I’m sure it’ll still have faults next version. And the next one. And the one after that. As it has in every single previous version. Because it’s a game. It’s entertainment. I’ve enjoyed every version, some more than others for a very long time. But there is always another one. Be disappointed. But be realistic too.

I feel sorry for those not entertained. But it’s not like we’re entitled to this. I’d personally be taking this on the chin and hoping for something more akin to what I want next year. Or maybe the one after. Or after that.

FM has always had quirks, bugs, dodgy decisions. It now makes me laugh when I see one, it’s like a comfy pair of slippers, because not once, not EVER has it stopped me playing the game. It always works. I can always pick a team hit continue and play a match. Always.

Sorry we haven’t had a ME update. Oh well. It happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SI should be in a position to say whether or not they plan another ME patch. They're either working on something that they're planning on getting out or they're done and focus is now on 21. I completely get not committing to time frames for expected patches, this isnt like that though. They'll know whether or not there is a plan for another patch and lots of people are holding off on their career saves on depending on this information, positive or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, WelshMourinho said:

I've seen a lot of people talking about how we should just go back to the FM17 engine as if that's the way forward, and I don't think it is.  "Teams come out and give you a game" and for the most part got absolutely battered because they weren't smart enough to sit back, and even if they did the defensive part of the game was as such they ended up getting rolled over anyway. 

This community asked for a smarter for years, and these are some of the steps the game has taken to improve.

Again, I agree the attacking part of the game isn't where it should be, but it's also not like it's impossible to score goals. Teams are harder to break down, but the game still allows for plenty of goals.

People are acting like the previous FM's were some glorious creations when they were equally as frustrating. My FM19 save with Napoli resulted in practically no one coming forward against me and it was boring at times (especially when Juventus at home sat back with everyone except a 37 yr old Ronaldo in their own half), and it was an absolute pain in the arse to break them down, but that's the the development that people have been asking for for years. 

Again the question remains, would people on here rather have an AI and a tactical creator that doesn't allow you to have a set up defensive system like FM19 provides? 

Yes but on this FM the way to win is to play a high press counter attack and keep your teams morale very high. That's all it is. There aren't a variety of ways to win. If you high press counter attack and keep your morale very high then you'll win. The tactical sense doesn't apply anymore. There's only one guaranteed way to win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, limey150781 said:

SI should be in a position to say whether or not they plan another ME patch. They're either working on something that they're planning on getting out or they're done and focus is now on 21. I completely get not committing to time frames for expected patches, this isnt like that though. They'll know whether or not there is a plan for another patch and lots of people are holding off on their career saves on depending on this information, positive or not.

They don't plan another ME patch. The best thing you can do now is provide as much evidence/concrete arguments as to why and how the ME should be changed, and if you aren't satisfied, vote with your feet next time and don't buy FM21. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing from SI as to why no further ME updates. They would’ve known days/weeks ago that this was the final version of the ME. would have been nice to have let us all know to be honest. This way people could’ve either started a new long term save or deleted the game, which ever was their preference. Instead we were all sat on a fence waiting. It a real shame as the rest of the game is very good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Travis Bickle said:

Yes but on this FM the way to win is to play a high press counter attack and keep your teams morale very high. That's all it is. There aren't a variety of ways to win. If you high press counter attack and keep your morale very high then you'll win. The tactical sense doesn't apply anymore. There's only one guaranteed way to win.

I personally don't employ a high press counter attack and I'm winning plenty. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, WelshMourinho said:

I personally don't employ a high press counter attack and I'm winning plenty. 

Yeah, it's a pretty broad statement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, WelshMourinho said:

I personally don't employ a high press counter attack and I'm winning plenty. 

With what team? Screenshot your tactics or provide a game file. 

Edited by Travis Bickle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Pyeman31 said:

Nothing from SI as to why no further ME updates. They would’ve known days/weeks ago that this was the final version of the ME. would have been nice to have let us all know to be honest. This way people could’ve either started a new long term save or deleted the game, which ever was their preference. Instead we were all sat on a fence waiting. It a real shame as the rest of the game is very good. 

Pretty sure ME updates don’t affect saves. Apart from messing with your tactics of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tyburn said:

Pretty sure ME updates don’t affect saves. Apart from messing with your tactics of course.

This is indeed true. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Travis Bickle said:

With what team? Screenshot your tactics or provide a game file. 

Really? Back with this again?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Pyeman31 said:

Nothing from SI as to why no further ME updates. They would’ve known days/weeks ago that this was the final version of the ME. would have been nice to have let us all know to be honest. This way people could’ve either started a new long term save or deleted the game, which ever was their preference. Instead we were all sat on a fence waiting. It a real shame as the rest of the game is very good. 

Maybe because this isn't the final version? We've had a public beta that included ME changes, and they released 20.2.4 which was solely a ME update. Unless I'm mistaken and they've said otherwise, we could easily see another update for the ME. I'm sure this is the most updates and post game support we've had for an FM before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Neil Brock said:

Just to bear in mind, we ask whilst people raise their feedback here to be respectful of other users, the moderating team and the development team. Thanks. 

Since this, we've already had to hand out infractions. If you can't be respectful, you're going to be removed from thread immediately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Pyeman31 said:

Nothing from SI as to why no further ME updates. They would’ve known days/weeks ago that this was the final version of the ME. would have been nice to have let us all know to be honest. This way people could’ve either started a new long term save or deleted the game, which ever was their preference. Instead we were all sat on a fence waiting. It a real shame as the rest of the game is very good. 

That's exactly where I am, I want to start my definite long term save, but I have to wait to know if all the changes are gonna be save compatible...

Well lesson learnt.

Adding up all the ME engines on release and all this waiting for the final "non save compatible" patch, I'm NOT buying FM21 until the last patch is out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, KUBI said:

That's always a good idea, but not a must. If you encounter crashes or graphical issues this could fix it.

Thanks KUBI :thup:

 

Now to decide whether I should start again or just keep going ( I'm just at the start of January first season ) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yet again the bug where preferences aren't saved hasn't been fixed. It's bad enough the ME hasn't been touched, but this is surely such a basic bug?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did we get to the bottom of the first window on/off, was the post earlier saying it wasn't resolved premature?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Travis Bickle said:

They don't plan another ME patch. The best thing you can do now is provide as much evidence/concrete arguments as to why and how the ME should be changed, and if you aren't satisfied, vote with your feet next time and don't buy FM21. 

They dont plan ME patches? They start working on them at some point which constitutes planning. Ultimately at some point they stop working on FM20 and focus on the next game. I think it's fair to know if that is the case. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are we sure there were no ME changes or speculating because they are not explicitly written? 

I wonder if we could get an answer to that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Travis Bickle said:

With what team? Screenshot your tactics or provide a game file. 

I'm currently using this system. I used a different one last year to get impressive results but ran out of time to stay up. My width setting changes regularly, depending on the opposition.

Stoke City_ Overview-2.png

Stoke City_ Overview-4.png

Edited by WelshMourinho

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, limey150781 said:

They dont plan ME patches? They start working on them at some point which constitutes planning. Ultimately at some point they stop working on FM20 and focus on the next game. I think it's fair to know if that is the case. 

 

Just now, Jimmious7 said:

Are we sure there were no ME changes or speculating because they are not explicitly written? 

I wonder if we could get an answer to that

It would be unprecedented if they made another ME patch. It has never happened before to my recollection. They have probably started working on FM21 already. I am not affiliated with SI so obviously I don't know this for sure but it would be out of the ordinary, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WelshMourinho said:

I'm currently using this system. I used a different one last year to get impressive results but ran out of time to stay up. My width setting changes regularly, depending on the opposition.

Stoke City_ Overview-2.png

You only have two players with their roles set to attack, a high line of engagement, a high defensive line, and counter ticked. To me this constitutes a high press, counter attacking style regardless of whether the style says "counter" or not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jimmious7 said:

Are we sure there were no ME changes or speculating because they are not explicitly written? 

I wonder if we could get an answer to that

ME changes are nearly always written and any change would change the ME number in game status. I haven't loaded the update yet, but if that's not changed, that would 100% confirm no ME change

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Travis Bickle said:

You only have two players with their roles set to attack, a high line of engagement, a high defensive line, and counter ticked. To me this constitutes a high press, counter attacking style regardless of whether the style says "counter" or not. 

I've used two systems, I edited the second one in.

I'm also not sure what only having two roles set to attack would have anything to do with it. It's a 4-2-3-1, I think sticking another attacking role in would be absolute suicide lol

Edited by WelshMourinho

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Game loads quicker with the last update. I appreciate the effort SI has put into polishing the gameplay. It's smoother and quite enjoyable.

As for the ME, it grows on you if you don't hunt for it's imperfections.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, themadsheep2001 said:

ME changes are nearly always written and any change would change the ME number in game status. I haven't loaded the update yet, but if that's not changed, that would 100% confirm no ME change

Can someone check that fastly? I find it very weird that even though there are numerous issues logged and set as "being worked on" in the ME Bugs forum no change happened

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bitzu_rock said:

@Lucas I am just asking if there is a new update planned in the future or there will be none until the new FM...(if there is one planned could be sooner or not....i usually start a new save after a new update).

So... ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jimmious7 said:

Can someone check that fastly? I find it very weird that even though there are numerous issues logged and set as "being worked on" in the ME Bugs forum no change happened

Unfortunately. It is still ME 2040

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Welshace said:

The only feedback I can give is that this version is going to go down as my least played as I have no plans to continue playing having seen certain issues haven't been fixed that I consider massively important to the experience.. to say i'm disappointed would be massively understating it, and my faith in the company in terms of taking the game forward has taken a beating...

 

I hope i'm wrong, we'll see for next edition.

I was going to say that those are harsh words for a moderator, then i looked at your profile and saw you were not part of the moderating team anymore. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
44 dakika önce, WelshMourinho said:

Again the question remains, would people on here rather have an AI and a tactical creator that doesn't allow you to have a set up defensive system like FM19 provides? 

 

I think playing against AI games most important factor is competent AI and the simulation not about whatever toy is available to player. It is not about returning back.

For myself also setpiece instructions and training is unnecessary if AI don't have code to counter.

Edited by baris28

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, janrzm said:

Did we get to the bottom of the first window on/off, was the post earlier saying it wasn't resolved premature?

It appears to be working for me, my transfer budget is £0.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, SJP Eternal said:

It appears to be working for me, my transfer budget is £0.

Thanks, unless you are playing my club Sheff Wed and that could actually still be their budget......:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, andu1 said:

I was going to say that those are harsh words for a moderator, then i looked at your profile and saw you were not part of the moderating team anymore. :D

Being a Mod does not exclude us from having opinions ( sometimes strong) on the game remembering that we are all players as well.  The difference is that we may have to express our opinions in a different way

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I can't reply to people I disagree with. Fine.

I'll make a standalone comment, don't let people tell you you are not entitled to enjoy a product that you bought. Voice your opinion, it's a transaction and if you are unhappy with the product, it's your right to voice that. 

SI is already heavily insulated from criticism because of a lack of competition, god forbid 10 people on this thread say anything negative.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, FrazT said:

Being a Mod does not exclude us from having opinions ( sometimes strong) on the game remembering that we are all players as well.  The difference is that we may have to express our opinions in a different way

@Jack Joyce can attest to that :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I finished my save about a week ago now and had been waiting for this patch to drop before starting a new one. I've read through the thread since the patch was confirmed and it feels like there is some ambiguity over whether there will be further updates. When I look at the Football Manager Twitter announcement it says that this is the second and final part of the winter update so that feels a little bit more like saying it's done (even if it is still left open). This is normally the final update in the FM calendar so it would be good to know if there is an intention to release another patch and then I will hold off starting a new save proper for now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We can only comment from looking at previous years- the final data update in Feb/Mar is usually the last of the major updates and the only reason for anything extra to that would be to fix a game breaking ( being unable to run the game ) issue, which would need a hotfix.  These cant be predicted so cant be pre-advised.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×
×
  • Create New...