Is speed a necessity for inside forwards

Okay I’m just here wondering if speed is really all important for my inside forward in a gegenpressing 4-3-3 tactic , normally play as Man United who ofc have Martial and Sánchez (playing Fm19 btw 😁) buh I’m heading towards a different direction to play as Leicester and I really want to get jack grealish as my LW IF but his acceleration and pace is just a let down at 13 and 12 respectively so I really want to know if he can still very much deliver at the inside forward role with not much pace. would be nice to know if you guys have had any success with slower IFs and any opinion you have on the topic , thanks in advance 😁👍🏽

I had success with Reus as an inside forward into his early 30s when his acceleration and pace started dropping, but that was because of his agility, dribbling, first touch, balance and strength holding up, and so offsetting the issue of defenders being able to catch him and hound him more. He wasn't as good slower as he was when he was faster, but he still did a decent job until his speed stats dropped to about 11, and then I just moved him into the centre and put a faster player on the wing instead.

11 minutes ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

I had success with Reus as an inside forward into his early 30s when his acceleration and pace started dropping, but that was because of his agility, dribbling, first touch, balance and strength holding up, and so offsetting the issue of defenders being able to catch him and hound him more. He wasn't as good slower as he was when he was faster, but he still did a decent job until his speed stats dropped to about 11, and then I just moved him into the centre and put a faster player on the wing instead.

aye cheers mate, did you play him on support or attack? and how many goals and assists was he averaging at the time if you don’t mind me asking 

12 minutes ago, collisonmullan said:

From playing with Leicester, I have found that Harvey Barnes is an excellent inside forward who you already have. What about moving maddison to centre midfield and playing Grealish at AMC?

Barnes is pretty decent but comparing him with Grealish, Grealish just seemed a bigger step up and I’m aiming for Europe qualification first season so I need to strengthen as much as I can, I want him on loan , then to return as a rotation option when I qualify for Europe , I’m playin a 4-3-3 gegenpress  with Maddison as an Advanced playmaker in center midfield and Tielemans as my Deep Lying Playmaker.

46 minutes ago, Sxmto said:

aye cheers mate, did you play him on support or attack? and how many goals and assists was he averaging at the time if you don’t mind me asking 

In FM19 I had him on Attack, in FM20 I had him on Support.

51 minutes ago, collisonmullan said:

I think loaning Barnes our would be a mistake. Really good player already with good potential. Can also play anywhere across the front line. 

Who else are you signing? Wouldn’t Barnes be your best right sided option also? 

I need him playing regularly if I do get Grealish and without European football there won’t be much games for him here , oh and I have my boy Hakim Ziyech on that right side, I play with IFs and Barnes is not fit for the RW 

12 hours ago, collisonmullan said:

Fair enough. 

Who else have you signed? I have my own Leicester save atm have gone on an English youth route tho. 

Mile svilar (cause ward is crap), Tonali and stengs, what bout you? who do you have on your team
I also need a good first team ball playing defender that’d agree to sign for us any ideas bro? 

Edited by Sxmto

I've played Grealish there for England a fair few times, and whilst he doesn't shred opponents like Sterling/Sancho/Rashford he's certainly effective, as is Maddison in that role who also isn't quick. Assume you've got Chilwell to keep the fullback busy too. A lot depends on your style of play and how opponents react to you too. If you're creating chances through counter attacking then the lack of speed is a let down. If you're breaking down defences with plenty of possession, the quality of finishing, crossing, long shots and passing/vision all comes into play and a well rounded dribbler like Grealish is actually better than a pace merchant in a packed penalty area

I guess the bigger question might be whether having Ziyech, Maddison and Grealish might be a bit too much of a muchness as attacking options go

Wouldn't say Barnes was a massively inferior player to Grealish - despite being a point or two lower in many attributes he does have an extra yard of place and a significantly better weaker foot. Then again, Grealish has 43 caps and 8 goals for me, and Barnes no goals from 5 .

1 hour ago, Sxmto said:

Mile svilar (cause ward is crap), Tonali and stengs, what bout you? who do you have on your team
I also need a good first team ball playing defender that’d agree to sign for us any ideas bro? 

So I signed alot of English younsters in my first season and sold some key players like Pereira, Ndidi and Soyuncu in January to balance the books.

I managed to get Braintwaite from Everton and Harwood-Bellis on loan from City. Who are both good ball playing centre backs and are good back ups for Evans and Soyuncu. Braintwaite in particular is great for me and is developing great.

I know he doesn't look up to much but have a look at Luke Thomas, the young left back already at Leicester. His stats are really good for the position and with Chilwell being the main man, Thomas provides good cover and actually develops really well.

My squad looks like this at the start of season 2.

Gk - Schmeichel, Butland, Dewhurst, Boyce-Clarke
Rb - Justin, Matheson
Cb - Evans,  Harwood-Bellis, Wood
Cb - Brainthwaite, Panzo
Lb - Chilwell, Thomas, Fevrier
Cm - Choudury, Kenneh
Cm - Bellingham, Doyle
Amr - Gray, Dembele, Pennent
Amc - Maddison, Ramsey (villa youngster)
Aml - Barnes, Loader
St - Vardy, Gelhardt, Barry

Obviously I have gone one way about it signing lots of youngsters. I managed to finish 5th first season and had decent cup runs. I played mainly the older lads in the prem and filled the bench with the younsters and just played the kids in the cups. Will be a similar story this year with the Europa league. 

The finances at the club are now amazing. Having sold 'key players' like Ndidi, Perreira, Soyuncu, Tielemens plus the likes of Amartey, Iheanacho and all the returning loans I have nearly £180mill in the bank. All facilities are being upgraded whenever possible. The hope is the club becomes self sufficient now. I have a team that can develop together and if I get a good youngster or 2 every year through the intake, then I should have no reason to spend in the future.

17 minutes ago, collisonmullan said:

I managed to get Braintwaite from Everton and Harwood-Bellis on loan from City. Who are both good ball playing centre backs and are good back ups for Evans and Soyuncu. Braintwaite in particular is great for me and is developing great.

I know we're deviating from the thread somewhat, but would you be able to screenshot Branthwaite's attributes? He's a really appealing player this year and I'm interested to see how other have got on developing him. 

That's a beast of a squad you've put together there. Love it! 

You should give some serious thought to Aarons at RB - I have a Norwich save (so I have developed him from the start) where he has become an absolute beast - think Bellerin a couple of seasons back when he was unplayable (and unsignable!) If I was putting together an English team to dominate, I would happily spend 60m on him if I had to (and couldn't get near Trent).

Another young English player I would recommend is Adebayario?sp? from City - his contract might be up at the end of this season for you, although you look incredibly well stocked in that department already! Also, if you haven't had a look at Tyler Magloire, you should. He is the fastest player on the game until Mbappe hits 20/20 and would make a really interesting player to develop on an English only squad. 

You must be watching Foden like a hawk! Keep hoping City mismanage their squad and he ends up shunted out. 

This is what he looks like for me at the start of season 2 and this is his stats for season 1.

1548222055_Screenshot2020-05-30at12_07_23.thumb.png.d520f1f5bd715f57bb7b3a8a8015fff7.png61109307_Screenshot2020-05-30at12_07_42.thumb.png.b3b333cf35d71f4d4f511cac837023ce.png

I'm trying to keep signings as 'realistic' to real life as possible if that makes sense. So I think the likes of Foden wouldn't happen and that if Aarons was available larger clubs would get him. Tbf Justin is really solid for me and Matheson the same.

1 hour ago, enigmatic said:

I've played Grealish there for England a fair few times, and whilst he doesn't shred opponents like Sterling/Sancho/Rashford he's certainly effective, as is Maddison in that role who also isn't quick. Assume you've got Chilwell to keep the fullback busy too. A lot depends on your style of play and how opponents react to you too. If you're creating chances through counter attacking then the lack of speed is a let down. If you're breaking down defences with plenty of possession, the quality of finishing, crossing, long shots and passing/vision all comes into play and a well rounded dribbler like Grealish is actually better than a pace merchant in a packed penalty area

I guess the bigger question might be whether having Ziyech, Maddison and Grealish might be a bit too much of a muchness as attacking options go

Wouldn't say Barnes was a massively inferior player to Grealish - despite being a point or two lower in many attributes he does have an extra yard of place and a significantly better weaker foot. Then again, Grealish has 43 caps and 8 goals for me, and Barnes no goals from 5 .

I get what you are saying , meaning Grealish is more likely to thrive with tiki taka then , concerning the muchness in attacking options what do you suggest bro? 

45 minutes ago, collisonmullan said:

So I signed alot of English younsters in my first season and sold some key players like Pereira, Ndidi and Soyuncu in January to balance the books.

I know he doesn't look up to much but have a look at Luke Thomas, the young left back already at Leicester. His stats are really good for the position and with Chilwell being the main man, Thomas provides good cover and actually develops really well.

My squad looks like this at the start of season 2.

Gk - Schmeichel, Butland, Dewhurst, Boyce-Clarke
Rb - Justin, Matheson
Cb - Evans,  Harwood-Bellis, Wood
Cb - Brainthwaite, Panzo
Lb - Chilwell, Thomas, Fevrier
Cm - Choudury, Kenneh
Cm - Bellingham, Doyle
Amr - Gray, Dembele, Pennent
Amc - Maddison, Ramsey (villa youngster)
Aml - Barnes, Loader
St - Vardy, Gelhardt, Barry

Obviously I have gone one way about it signing lots of youngsters. I managed to finish 5th first season and had decent cup runs. I played mainly the older lads in the prem and filled the bench with the younsters and just played the kids in the cups. Will be a similar story this year with the Europa league. 

The finances at the club are now amazing. Having sold 'key players' like Ndidi, Perreira, Soyuncu, Tielemens plus the likes of Amartey, Iheanacho and all the returning loans I have nearly £180mill in the bank. All facilities are being upgraded whenever possible. The hope is the club becomes self sufficient now. I have a team that can develop together and if I get a good youngster or 2 every year through the intake, then I should have no reason to spend in the future.

noooo 😭 you sold all I love bout this Leicester squad, tbh I’m gonna bite anyone’s hands that comes for any of them (looking at you arsenal and Chelsea) buh your squad is amazing and youthful , might be tough at first buh in 3/4 years that’s a powerhouse

buh why would you sell Ndidi , should have built the team around him  

22 minutes ago, npjones88 said:

I know we're deviating from the thread somewhat, but would you be able to screenshot Branthwaite's attributes? He's a really appealing player this year and I'm interested to see how other have got on developing him. 

That's a beast of a squad you've put together there. Love it! 

You should give some serious thought to Aarons at RB - I have a Norwich save (so I have developed him from the start) where he has become an absolute beast - think Bellerin a couple of seasons back when he was unplayable (and unsignable!) If I was putting together an English team to dominate, I would happily spend 60m on him if I had to (and couldn't get near Trent).

Another young English player I would recommend is Adebayario?sp? from City - his contract might be up at the end of this season for you, although you look incredibly well stocked in that department already! Also, if you haven't had a look at Tyler Magloire, you should. He is the fastest player on the game until Mbappe hits 20/20 and would make a really interesting player to develop on an English only squad. 

You must be watching Foden like a hawk! Keep hoping City mismanage their squad and he ends up shunted out. 

lmao 😂 City always mismanage Foden and is always available for scraps, an absolute beast tho 

7 minutes ago, Sxmto said:

noooo 😭 you sold all I love bout this Leicester squad, tbh I’m gonna bite anyone’s hands that comes for any of them (looking at you arsenal and Chelsea) buh your squad is amazing and youthful , might be tough at first buh in 3/4 years that’s a powerhouse

buh why would you sell Ndidi , should have built the team around him  

I just can't get a tune out of him ever! I have had a few different saves in the past using him and just doesn't do the business for me. So i thought better to have the money than an under performing player.

Thats exactly it, when the big clubs are offering good money for some of these players as they are wanted all the time its hard to say no. Especially if you are playing a certain way.