Low Block- 442 Diamond

So, I'm quite new to FM, bought it after the free week and started a save with Ipswich recently. I wanted to play using a Simeone or Dyche style 4-4-2 low block in cup games against bigger teams (can't really use it in League One as they're one of the favourites for promotion), but Ipswich doesn't really have any good and natural wide midfielders, particularly on the left side, so I've decided to go with a 4-4-2 Diamond formation. It worked wonders against weaker L1 teams, normally going for the default gegenpress or a form of fluid counter-attack, but it was quite leaky in defence. I figured out I needed to be much more defensively solid against stronger teams. I tried to build a tactic based on an old guide about how to build a defensive diamond (it was from FM14 I believe), and this cluster was the end result:

Long story short, it's even leakier at the back, just got beaten 4-1 by Fulham in the EFL Cup and 2-0 by Oxford in the league, and now I'm looking here for a way to build a low and solid diamond. Thanks in advance

taktík1.png

1 hour ago, Fánabrauð said:

Long story short, it's even leakier at the back, just got beaten 4-1 by Fulham in the EFL Cup and 2-0 by Oxford in the league, and now I'm looking here for a way to build a low and solid diamond

First off, a low block alone does not automatically make you defensively solid. Yes, with the lower Line of engagement you do have a low block nominally. But that's just one of many elements that constitute a tactic, including its defensive aspect.

For example, look at your midfield roles: you don't have a single holding midfielder (although you do have a covering CM in the form of the carrilero), and even your DM is not played in a holding (defense-first) role. At the same time, both fullbacks are played in a very attack-minded role (CWB). Don't be misled by their "support" duty, because CWB as a role is inherently attack-minded - actually the most attack-minded of all fullback and wing-back roles. On the other hand, CWB as a role does make sense in narrow systems - much more than in wide ones - but only if it's employed properly in terms of your intended style of play and as part of a well-balanced tactical setup. 

All stated above means that your setup of roles and duties is too shaky (poorly balanced), which is why your version of low block does not work as you hoped. 

Then you use the "tighter marking" instruction, which may work in a low-block type of tactic, but not in any formation. It's more effective in formations that are bottom-heavy and compact, which yours obviously is not.

Speaking specifically of the narrow diamond as a system, it's not a good choice for passive defensive styles of play (such as catenaccio or parked bus for example). And considering your team instructions - cautious mentality + shorter passing + more disciplined + hold shape + slow pace down + regroup - it seems that you are trying to implement that very type of defensive football (as opposed to counter-attacking styles, which are more proactive). 

1 hour ago, Experienced Defender said:

First off, a low block alone does not automatically make you defensively solid. Yes, with the lower Line of engagement you do have a low block nominally. But that's just one of many elements that constitute a tactic, including its defensive aspect.

For example, look at your midfield roles: you don't have a single holding midfielder (although you do have a covering CM in the form of the carrilero), and even your DM is not played in a holding (defense-first) role. At the same time, both fullbacks are played in a very attack-minded role (CWB). Don't be misled by their "support" duty, because CWB as a role is inherently attack-minded - actually the most attack-minded of all fullback and wing-back roles. On the other hand, CWB as a role does make sense in narrow systems - much more than in wide ones - but only if it's employed properly in terms of your intended style of play and as part of a well-balanced tactical setup. 

All stated above means that your setup of roles and duties is too shaky (poorly balanced), which is why your version of low block does not work as you hoped. 

Then you use the "tighter marking" instruction, which may work in a low-block type of tactic, but not in any formation. It's more effective in formations that are bottom-heavy and compact, which yours obviously is not.

Speaking specifically of the narrow diamond as a system, it's not a good choice for passive defensive styles of play (such as catenaccio or parked bus for example). And considering your team instructions - cautious mentality + shorter passing + more disciplined + hold shape + slow pace down + regroup - it seems that you are trying to implement that very type of defensive football (as opposed to counter-attacking styles, which are more proactive). 

Thanks for the advice, I'll try to change the regista to a half back, and the B2B to a second shuttler or a CM on automatic. As for the CWBs, a simple FB-S with maybe some instructions might work, as apparently the CWBs have too much ground to cover, supporting attacks more aggressively and then keep dropping back to a lower DL. I wanted to implement a more direct style of play instead of a more passive defensive one, but with that many central midfielders I thought it wouldn't quite work, so I went with those instructions. I'll give it a try though, and post here again once I start having more of a clue about the game

Edited by Fánabrauð

14 minutes ago, Fánabrauð said:

I'll try to change the regista to a half back

Good idea :thup: 

14 minutes ago, Fánabrauð said:

and the B2B to a second shuttler or a CM on automatic

B2B is okay if you change the fullback on his side into a WB on support instead of CWB. If you keep the CWB, then change the BBM into a carrilero or BWM or DLP on support duty. But whichever role you select, you need to make sure the player has the right attributes to play it. 

16 minutes ago, Fánabrauð said:

As for the CWBs, a simple FB-S with maybe some instructions might work

Not in a narrow system. If you fear a CWB is too risky for your system, then change him into a WB on support duty. Keep in mind that fullbacks/wing-backs are vital in any narrow formation, because they are responsible for their entire respective flanks and therefore need to be equally good both at defending and attacking. If you don't have such fullbacks (players), then better do not use a narrow formation. Or at least consider a more conservative one (e.g. 4132). 

23 minutes ago, Fánabrauð said:

I wanted to implement a more direct style of play instead of a more passive defensive one

Then you need different instructions, including the mentality. 

Man mark with shadowstriker opponents lowest Cm/Dm or put amc sup. thinking defensively you're going to be outrunned from flanks so you need to mess their gamebuilding and passlines in center. WBR could be att because F9 Can provide nice passes for him if F9 is right footed. Also F9 is going to help with right flank defense. I would consider trying also 3cms because dm's def very low and this would add some width to defense. Even if opponent has amc you can try it.

Edited by Pasonen

Unfortunatley, defensive-minded, low block tactics doesnt seem to be working in Fm20.  Its all about 433, high D-line/LOE and high pressing.

One thing I would find interesting is using a playmaker in one of the MC-roles in your diamond, and then have him drift out wide to avoid being crowded in the middle. Spain used a diamond midfield and did exactley that against sweden last year.

PF s AF

AMC/SS

DLP s Carrilero

Anchorman/HB

IWB s CD d Cd d IWB s

Gk d

PI stay wider for carrilero an dlp

TI underlap left/right

Edited by Mutumba