Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
FrazT

Young player unhappiness.

So my AM arranges a pre-season friendly right at the end of the international break.  Half the squad not back and most of the rest of them tired.  Decided to give some of the reserves prospects, who had never been near the first team, some game time.  There appears to be no option with reserve players to make them available for the first team, so moved 4 of them up for that game.

After the game, the reserves had their own pre-season game so moved 3 ( all 18 years old) of them back down to the reserves and they all threw a wobbly.  Demanding to know why they had been demoted and there was no option in the drop down menu to tell them exactly why without having to apologise.  Told them to get on with it and they all told me my handling was "pathetic"

So many things wrong here:

There needs to be an option to make them available for the first team without having to move them, if this is the outcome.

18 year old reserves who are given first team experience in a pre season friendly would be over the moon, not shouting about being demoted, when they have not been demoted if they are moved for 1 game for a specific reason.

Young players who decide to confront their manager ( and lets face it, this is unlikely to start with ) would under no circumstances answer back like this answer or they would be out of the door in real life.  This is patently unreasonable regardless of what their hidden personality attributes are.

@FrazT Thanks for always straight up telling it like it is. :D

Edited by janrzm

14 hours ago, FrazT said:

There appears to be no option with reserve players to make them available for the first team, so moved 4 of them up for that game.

There needs to be an option to make them available for the first team without having to move them, if this is the outcome.

But there is the option to select them for the first team without moving them, isn't there?

When you're on the 'squad' page, select filter in the top right corner, select 'U23 squad', 'Reserves' or whatever, and the players from that squad will all appear on your squad page without them actually having been moved.

5 hours ago, FreddyGuarin said:

But there is the option to select them for the first team without moving them, isn't there?

When you're on the 'squad' page, select filter in the top right corner, select 'U23 squad', 'Reserves' or whatever, and the players from that squad will all appear on your squad page without them actually having been moved.

Thanks for that- I will have a look.  What I meant was that the option to make available for the first team is not on the drop down menu when you right click on a reserve player.

2 hours ago, FrazT said:

Thanks for that- I will have a look.  What I meant was that the option to make available for the first team is not on the drop down menu when you right click on a reserve player.

No, I've never seen the option either on any FM version, but it isn't actually needed if you add the squad that the player plays for onto the main squad page.

I have done some more research on the development drop down menu on each players home screen.  For all players, there is the option to move to either of the other squads, so no issues there.

When it comes to making players available for other squads there are some anomalies:

For a senior squad player, you can make them available for the Reserves or the under 18s.  No problems there.
For a reserve squad player, you can make them available for the Reserves ( why, if they are already in that squad?) or the under 18s, but not the senior squad.
For an under 18s squad player, you can only make them available for the u18s ( see above?) and not for either of the other 2 squads.

My view is if there are to be options open to you from the player's development drop down menu, then all options should be there and as it is at the moment.

To add to my comments in the opening post about young players answering back, please do away with the code line of "I dont want to go over that again". when a young player is congratulated for getting a 10 in training performance, even if you have mentioned it before.  This would just not happen in real life- indifference perhaps, but not mouthing off to the manager