Have a shot myself in the foot?

Hey

I started with the vertical tiki taka formation in a 4-1-4-1 DM (4-3-3). I then made the change to increase the tempo and make the formation wider I moved the bar to normal.

How key is the width with this formation? Am I over thinking or have I cocked it up?

Keen to hear everyones opinion

the wingers seem to be in the right area and the wing backs have space.

Screenshot 2020-05-22 at 13.27.17.png

Screenshot 2020-05-22 at 13.26.21.png

9 hours ago, ollieshrews said:

Screenshot 2020-05-22 at 13.26.21.png

9 hours ago, ollieshrews said:

I then made the change to increase the tempo and make the formation wider I moved the bar to normal.

How key is the width with this formation?

A much bigger issue than tempo and width in your tactic is the setup of roles and duties, especially the midfield trio with all 3 players in playmaker roles. You have so much creation and organization and virtually no penetration. 

16 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

A much bigger issue than tempo and width in your tactic is the setup of roles and duties, especially the midfield trio with all 3 players in playmaker roles. You have so much creation and organization and virtually no penetration. 

Oh yeah, I love playmakers more than anything, but even for me that is total overkill :D

A lot of the setup is pretty good, but like ED said you have a lot of issues with the roles/duties. Most likely you lack penetration, and also I doubt Dembele or whoever plays as AF will get a lot of space to run into. And cause you play a tiki taka patient buildup game and only 1 ST, you basically need to have him drop deep to get on the ball, and movement to create space in the box. So DLFs or F9 basically, and you need a smart player here which Dembele really is not.

Then cause you have 3 playmakers, 2 IWs and neither fullback on attack duty, you lack penetration. So one wing would be much better as IFa, Raumdeuter if you have the right player, or IWa. Keep the other IWs as is, but put get forward more often PI and gets into opposition area PPM for any guy playing the IWs duty to get them more often into the box. Then change the fullback on the side you keep the IWs into an IWB, but change the underlap into overlap. This will add variety to your attacks. And the side you'll have the more attacking guy keep the WB. But also bump both into support, you're United, not Stoke. ;)

Then to add more attacking options and a late run into the box threat, change one of the APs into a BBM, Mezzala support but get forward more often PI, or a CMs but again PIs to get into the box. The other AP keep as is, or try an RPM, with the roaming it does might suit your play better, and also helps to drag defenders away/create overloads easier than with an AP, IMO.

Changes along those lines would, IMO, improve things.

Edited by OJ

8 hours ago, OJ said:

Oh yeah, I love playmakers more than anything, but even for me that is total overkill :D

A lot of the setup is pretty good, but like ED said you have a lot of issues with the roles/duties. Most likely you lack penetration, and also I doubt Dembele or whoever plays as AF will get a lot of space to run into. And cause you play a tiki taka patient buildup game and only 1 ST, you basically need to have him drop deep to get on the ball, and movement to create space in the box. So DLFs or F9 basically, and you need a smart player here which Dembele really is not.

Then cause you have 3 playmakers, 2 IWs and neither fullback on attack duty, you lack penetration. So one wing would be much better as IFa, Raumdeuter if you have the right player, or IWa. Keep the other IWs as is, but put get forward more often PI and gets into opposition area PPM for any guy playing the IWs duty to get them more often into the box. Then change the fullback on the side you keep the IWs into an IWB, but change the underlap into overlap. This will add variety to your attacks. And the side you'll have the more attacking guy keep the WB. But also bump both into support, you're United, not Stoke. ;)

Then to add more attacking options and a late run into the box threat, change one of the APs into a BBM, Mezzala support but get forward more often PI, or a CMs but again PIs to get into the box. The other AP keep as is, or try an RPM, with the roaming it does might suit your play better, and also helps to drag defenders away/create overloads easier than with an AP, IMO.

Changes along those lines would, IMO, improve things.

Cheers, appreciate the comments

I can make Rashford an inside forward attack and change Bruno to a Mezzala. This will get two additional players into the box.

Sometimes I play with Chiesa as a winger, and he seems to give Dembele better service.