Gian Piero Gasperini at Atalanta Case Study

This tactic produces some really interesting football. Just finished a 3-5 loss against Juventus (First season, we got 3-1 ahead and then Juventus just kicked up a gear and scored three worldies against us and were just unstoppable) and enjoying this system so far. Earlier in the season I already beat Chelsea 2-1 and Leverkusen 3-2. If anything I would say this tactic is a little light in midfield, in that opposing teams midfielders often end up unmarked. I wish there was a way to make one of my center-backs to step up into midfield and mark them, this is what I would do if this was real, but alas not possible in match engine.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Adonalsium said:

This tactic produces some really interesting football. Just finished a 3-5 loss against Juventus (First season, we got 3-1 ahead and then Juventus just kicked up a gear and scored three worldies against us and were just unstoppable) and enjoying this system so far. Earlier in the season I already beat Chelsea 2-1 and Leverkusen 3-2. If anything I would say this tactic is a little light in midfield, in that opposing teams midfielders often end up unmarked. I wish there was a way to make one of my center-backs to step up into midfield and mark them, this is what I would do if this was real, but alas not possible in match engine.

Cant you just ask the middle CB to play as Libero on attack, he will be very advanced in possession, almost like a DLP and then retreat back between the other CBs when out of possession. You need a very special player to fill that role however.

1 hour ago, crusadertsar said:

Cant you just ask the middle CB to play as Libero on attack, he will be very advanced in possession, almost like a DLP and then retreat back between the other CBs when out of possession. You need a very special player to fill that role however.

Then it wouldn't be a Gasperini recreation anymore, would it? Cause he does the opposite of that, with the wide CBs sitting very wide and having permission to push forward, offering an option to recycle possession on the flanks when the wingbacks get forward. There's no way of doing that in FM, the closest you can do is BPD-St set to stay wider and Dribble More, but that still doesn't make them push forward when not dribbling, and even when defending the Stoppers don't push forward to mark someone before they receive the ball, only push to tackle once they do have it.

The main thing on my wishlist for FM21 is a complete overhaul on CBs roles and possible instructions, we are just way too limited in what we can do with them unfortunately, and it's very outdated compared to what we have seen in real life in recent years. 

2 hours ago, craiigman said:

What’s the purpose of having “look for under lap” on wing backs where there is no one to under lap?

The OP will tell you his exact reason, but I would logically assume he uses the instruction as a way of increasing the wing-back's individual mentality. 

3 hours ago, dekzeh said:

Then it wouldn't be a Gasperini recreation anymore, would it? Cause he does the opposite of that, with the wide CBs sitting very wide and having permission to push forward, offering an option to recycle possession on the flanks when the wingbacks get forward. There's no way of doing that in FM, the closest you can do is BPD-St set to stay wider and Dribble More, but that still doesn't make them push forward when not dribbling, and even when defending the Stoppers don't push forward to mark someone before they receive the ball, only push to tackle once they do have it.

The main thing on my wishlist for FM21 is a complete overhaul on CBs roles and possible instructions, we are just way too limited in what we can do with them unfortunately, and it's very outdated compared to what we have seen in real life in recent years. 

Yeah agreed. Basically Gasperini's Atalanta is not recreatable in FM20. Not faithfully at least. The CBs won't ever push past the midfield line.

2 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

The OP will tell you his exact reason, but I would logically assume he uses the instruction as a way of increasing the wing-back's individual mentality. 

Don't you mean decreasing their mentality? Last time I checked it was the overlap instruction was the one that increased wingback mentality. I think underlap is supposed to increase the mentality of the central midfielders running past the wingbacks who will hold the ball for them

22 hours ago, 32MJ32 said:

As well as being an amazing read about a club and system I am fond of (who isn't?), this has been a real FM lesson for me on what it actually means to create space in a dangerous way.

I am an Inter fan and I've had several goes at trying to get the Lukaku-Martinez partnership firing - but I've struggled to do so. They both have great physical and mental profiles, so getting them to fly around the pitch while still threatening on goal has been the aim. What I've found is I end up pulling one too deep or having both sit on top of each other (and hoping that the intricate movement around the box will free one up, which I don't believe this year's ME wants a lot to do with). 

Your setup has shown how to space two well-rounded F's and have them take up menacing positions, pulling defenders with them, and allowing whichever one picks up the ball to do something with it. Unreal.

Delighted it’s helped give you some insightful ideas. Thinking of the team as whole will also help your partnership blossom 

5 hours ago, crusadertsar said:

Don't you mean decreasing their mentality? Last time I checked it was the overlap instruction was the one that increased wingback mentality. I think underlap is supposed to increase the mentality of the central midfielders running past the wingbacks who will hold the ball for them

As far as I understand, it makes the wingbacks look for cutbacks. This generally means your width-holding players will look to hold on to the ball and look for passes infield to vary up their delivery. 

About this tactic itself, though, one thing I have noticed is that as a result of the limitations on CB movement in the match engine, there is often a huge gap between the attacking unit of this formation ( midfielders, strikers and wingbacks) and the defensive line. 

Edited by Adonalsium

18 hours ago, crusadertsar said:

I have been messing around with a similar set up trying to get the back three to resemble that of Gasperini's. I find it's the most complicated part of his system, getting the CB movement just right.

Yeah I’ve finally started to see my wider CBS attack more. Dribbling especially. And I feel the Toloi role is now sorted. But this is all in terms of FM. Because it’s impossible to completely replicate them in fm. 

10 hours ago, Adonalsium said:

Libero would be the solution here. Of even a stopper centre back may help  

8 hours ago, dekzeh said:

I would disagree with the fact you can’t getting them dribbling I’ve managed to get mines playing a lot better now. Both sided play almost like a FB. The problem I have is I can’t get both to do it at same time as one tucks in to cover the other. But mostly am now happy with how these roles perform. 

yes libero isn’t Gasperini but The original statement was he wished one of his centre backs would step into midfield as he felt it as light therefore the solution to that problem is libero. 

8 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

7 hours ago, Djuicer said:

Im not @SixPointer but it does alter the mentality of the wide players.

Both spot on used to increase the mentality on the wide players which is of course key to Gasperini system 

5 hours ago, crusadertsar said:

Oddly it increases it. But it also makes for some great movement from the wider CMS. Which are usually found with cutbacks on edge of box 

17 minutes ago, Adonalsium said:

As far as I understand, it makes the wingbacks look for cutbacks. This generally means your width-holding players will look to hold on to the ball and look for passes infield to vary up their delivery. 

About this tactic itself, though, one thing I have noticed is that as a result of the limitations on CB movement in the match engine, there is often a huge gap between the attacking unit of this formation ( midfielders, strikers and wingbacks) and the defensive line. 

The gap am not sure of. I was finding my DL would sit on half way. And if the ball is in either Channel the wider CB will join in as recycling option. The only problem is they will never overlap 

I feel the CB’s have thrown you some debate. So as I don’t have time to get my big third episode finished off. I’ll try gather some stats examples etc of the CBS in a shortened episode. Which is good for everyone. Also makes me feel like am progressing with planned series all be it not how I wished due to backlogged with work. Sure I’ll have time to dig a small centre back update in the next few days 

6 hours ago, SixPointer said:

Purely to increase the wing backs mentality 

But that's it, "underlap" doesn't actually increase the wingback individual mentality. It makes them hold up the ball for the players on the inside as @Adonalsium said. If you actually want to increase the wingback mentality then use "overlap".

If you look at the player role in the tactical screen and click on "edit" you will see that underlap actually brings individual mentality down on balanced team mentality and does not affect it at all at higher team mentalities.

Edited by crusadertsar

7 hours ago, SixPointer said:

I would disagree with the fact you can’t getting them dribbling I’ve managed to get mines playing a lot better now. Both sided play almost like a FB. The problem I have is I can’t get both to do it at same time as one tucks in to cover the other. But mostly am now happy with how these roles perform. 

yes libero isn’t Gasperini but The original statement was he wished one of his centre backs would step into midfield as he felt it as light therefore the solution to that problem is libero. 

Don't know if I expressed myself poorly, but I didn't mean to say you can't get the CBs dribbling forward. What I meant to say that you can't get them forward to offer themselves as an option to recycle possession, without the ball. You can definitely have them dribbling forward almost as a fullback, that I agree with.

It 100% effects mentality

43 minutes ago, crusadertsar said:

But that's it, "underlap" doesn't actually increase the wingback individual mentality. It makes them hold up the ball for the players on the inside as @Adonalsium said. If you actually want to increase the wingback mentality then use "overlap".

If you look at the player role in the tactical screen and click on "edit" you will see that underlap actually brings individual mentality down on balanced team mentality and does not affect it at all at higher team mentalities.

f259a02a26909ffda99d183c17fc3764.png

Simple set up on attack and just with underlap left on

8f2cf6724742720224e992c407fc52d1.png

Left wing back mentality attacking

c36fc1db2264d29667103ab6af4c3c0e.png

Right wing back mentality positive

Therefore my reason was to increase the mentality. but I could also have used "look for overlap" which was tested. like I said in the OP there was a lot of experimental test the wide areas where heavily subjected to this. I felt the underlap gave us the movement off the CMS and WBS that I seen at Atalanta and help increase the cut backs to them arriving late

In the wide areas is where it got complicating for me here there is too much going on, but I tried so many variations and this worked most to give us what we needed. We want to see lots of play in the wide area and lots of movement with underlapping centre forwards and midfielders."

Direct quote in The OP about team instructions in wide areas

3 minutes ago, dekzeh said:

Don't know if I expressed myself poorly, but I didn't mean to say you can't get the CBs dribbling forward. What I meant to say that you can't get them forward to offer themselves as an option to recycle possession, without the ball. You can definitely have them dribbling forward almost as a fullback, that I agree with.

ohh yes. I totally understand what your saying. I found it very hard myself and only see it in some instances like if the wing back is attacking at the byline sometimes they come up in support. But in terms of GPG the centre backs are the hardest to purely recreate. Its like Sheffield united wider CB's they fully overlap the wing backs as well and many people have been trying to create this but simply cant 

47 minutes ago, SixPointer said:

It 100% effects mentality

f259a02a26909ffda99d183c17fc3764.png

Simple set up on attack and just with underlap left on

8f2cf6724742720224e992c407fc52d1.png

Left wing back mentality attacking

c36fc1db2264d29667103ab6af4c3c0e.png

Right wing back mentality positive

Therefore my reason was to increase the mentality. but I could also have used "look for overlap" which was tested. like I said in the OP there was a lot of experimental test the wide areas where heavily subjected to this. I felt the underlap gave us the movement off the CMS and WBS that I seen at Atalanta and help increase the cut backs to them arriving late

In the wide areas is where it got complicating for me here there is too much going on, but I tried so many variations and this worked most to give us what we needed. We want to see lots of play in the wide area and lots of movement with underlapping centre forwards and midfielders."

Direct quote in The OP about team instructions in wide areas

I understand that but I just wanted to say that from pure technical perspective, underlap does not literally increase the individual mentality. Overlap does. It just doesn't work any other way. But you might be seeing something else from your wingbacks because of their traits or because of combination of other instructions. And yes for sure underlap would be better for cutbacks.

Edited by crusadertsar

17 minutes ago, crusadertsar said:

I understand that but I just wanted to say that from pure technical perspective, underlap does not literally increase the individual mentality. Overlap does. It just doesn't work any other way. But you might be seeing something else from your wingbacks because of their traits or because of combination of other instructions. And yes for sure underlap would be better for cutbacks.

But don't the above screenshots literally show that 'look for the underlap' TI does increase the wingbacks mentality? The left wingback has a higher mentality than the right wingback because 'underlap left' TI has been clicked.

I also have a question about the 'look for the underlap' TI because I feel as if it's another part of the tactics creator that is explained poorly. Does 'look for the underlap' promote more forward runs from midfielders on the inside of the wide players? Whenever I've seen it explained on these forums people have said that overlap/underlap only effects the wide players and their mentalities, but now in this topic people seem to be saying something different. I'm a bit confused basically about what FM deems to be an underlap

3 minutes ago, camoulton21 said:

But don't the above screenshots literally show that 'look for the underlap' TI does increase the wingbacks mentality? The left wingback has a higher mentality than the right wingback because 'underlap left' TI has been clicked.

I also have a question about the 'look for the underlap' TI because I feel as if it's another part of the tactics creator that is explained poorly. Does 'look for the underlap' promote more forward runs from midfielders on the inside of the wide players? Whenever I've seen it explained on these forums people have said that overlap/underlap only effects the wide players and their mentalities, but now in this topic people seem to be saying something different. I'm a bit confused basically about what FM deems to be an underlap

I just looked in my own save and on balanced team mentality, my wingbacks (on support duty) mentality went down to cautious. So I don't really understand this. Maybe someone else can check it out.

1 hour ago, crusadertsar said:

I just looked in my own save and on balanced team mentality, my wingbacks (on support duty) mentality went down to cautious. So I don't really understand this. Maybe someone else can check it out.

Look for the Underlap (LftU) definitely typically increases the mentality of players in the "Fullback" and "Wingback" tactical formation positions for the majority of role and duty combinations, and I cannot replicate (nor remember off the top of my head) so far any weird combinations that can cause it to do the reverse. Anything from the Midfield strata and onward will often see LftU drop mentality down a categorisation though, so that is something to be mindful of if you push your wingbacks forward in the tactical formation up to the Wide (left\right) Midfield tactical formation position. Since you explicitly said your wingbacks are on Support duty we can rule out Attack duty being an offender, since LftU typically causes no noticeable mentality change within the UI for Attack duties.

So, yeah, I don't know, you got me stumped for the moment as to what precise thing you have done to achieve that outcome.

Edited by Malkael

2 hours ago, crusadertsar said:

What formation are you using?

1 hour ago, XuluBak said:

What formation are you using?

I just realized I was wrong. I was thinking I had wingbacks buy I actually used defensive wingers on support in my 3-4-1-2 formation. And my wingers mentality does go down with underlap. But people are right it works the opposite way in wingack roles. My bad, sorry for the confusion everyone.

Edited by crusadertsar

6 hours ago, crusadertsar said:

I just realized I was wrong. I was thinking I had wingbacks buy I actually used defensive wingers on support in my 3-4-1-2 formation. And my wingers mentality does go down with underlap. But people are right it works the opposite way in wingack roles. My bad, sorry for the confusion everyone.

Actually, DW works better in the 3412 as I find them press more as @giggety has pointed out, though they tend to get more cards.

Edited by skyline72

42 minutes ago, skyline72 said:

Actually, DW works better in the 3412 as I find them press more as @giggety has pointed out, though they tend to get more cards.

That's exactly the reason why I stopped using wingbacks in narrow formations like this. It's also easier to create 2-3-5 in attack. I find wingbacks never get as advanced as defensive wingers. You have to make sure you have 3 in back for defensive stability of course.

On 15/08/2020 at 00:41, crusadertsar said:

Yeah agreed. Basically Gasperini's Atalanta is not recreatable in FM20. Not faithfully at least. The CBs won't ever push past the midfield line.

I have to disagree on this, simply because on my FM20 save with Brentford Ive managed to get my Outers CBs to push wide and forward on multiple occasions.

Its very player dependant and you need goo ball players with the correct traits - Brings ball out of defence, then ive played them as a BPD and asked them to stay wider and dribble more.. Honestly when it happens its amazing to watch, they actually overlap the WBs! 

17 hours ago, Louisking1992 said:

I have to disagree on this, simply because on my FM20 save with Brentford Ive managed to get my Outers CBs to push wide and forward on multiple occasions.

Its very player dependant and you need goo ball players with the correct traits - Brings ball out of defence, then ive played them as a BPD and asked them to stay wider and dribble more.. Honestly when it happens its amazing to watch, they actually overlap the WBs! 

I have seen glimpses off it as well. I intend to do a update purely on them wider CBS. My RCB Torren is the ideal player for it. As he is well suited to being a libero. But I wouldn’t say it happens as perfectly like GPG. As it’s near impossible to get the rotations that happen. We’re de Roon drops in to The DL and the RCB pushes up really High and the RWB comes inside. It cause me much agony 

Edited by SixPointer

On 16/08/2020 at 03:22, crusadertsar said:

That's exactly the reason why I stopped using wingbacks in narrow formations like this. It's also easier to create 2-3-5 in attack. I find wingbacks never get as advanced as defensive wingers. You have to make sure you have 3 in back for defensive stability of course.

Do the defensive wingers replicate Gasperini better or perform better in some ways? I have noticed that they play a little higher up the pitch, but my wingbacks were actually contributing a lot of goals and assists regardless even before I made the switch. 

1 minute ago, Adonalsium said:

Do the defensive wingers replicate Gasperini better or perform better in some ways? I have noticed that they play a little higher up the pitch, but my wingbacks were actually contributing a lot of goals and assists regardless even before I made the switch. 

I do notice that DW close down more and actually man mark the opponent compared to WB.

@SixPointer I am interested to know how you setup the man-marking. Are you adding the position for each player or are you manually targeting opposition players each game?

How do you interpretate the forwards marking the opposition defense? Are they marking the DCs or the FBs?

3 hours ago, Adonalsium said:

Mine close down more and I get the desired 2-3-5 shape much more consistently. It's a risky strategy but you need very good, rounded players for that role. Basically wingbacks in winger strata.

6 hours ago, Jungztar said:

@SixPointer I am interested to know how you setup the man-marking. Are you adding the position for each player or are you manually targeting opposition players each game?

How do you interpretate the forwards marking the opposition defense? Are they marking the DCs or the FBs?

In terms of man marking I use a mixture of opposition instructions and player instructions. With certain players given mark tight and specific players to make depending on opponent. But the back 3 all have mark tight on.  

the centre forwards marking style. 
I tell them to man mark the full backs. But in OI I highly press the centre backs to try get that split press. 

the Gómez role always marks the number 6. But I tried this man marking with him and it just took away from his game he didn’t have as much space when turnovers happened 

21 hours ago, SixPointer said:

I have seen glimpses off it as well. I intend to do a update purely on them wider CBS. My RCB Torren is the ideal player for it. As he is well suited to being a libero. But I wouldn’t say it happens as perfectly like GPG. As it’s near impossible to get the rotations that happen. We’re de Roon drops in to The DL and the RCB pushes up really High and the RWB comes inside. It cause me much agony 

On 16/08/2020 at 19:30, Louisking1992 said:

Bastoni as the left sided CB in the 3, with @SixPointer's instructions - BPD S Stay Wider Dribble More - and the Brings Ball Out of Defence PPM (which he has out of the box) - bombs forward a lot. He's almost too reckless, to be honest - given he can't do much once he's high up the pitch

Per some recommendations above, I moved from WB's to DW's (not to get a better Atalanta recreation, just in hope to kick some more goals in), and I find the extra space it provides for the CB's to move into encourages them forward even more. I threw a CM on D to cover. Creates some fun attacks and isn't a total defensive farce

20 hours ago, SixPointer said:

In terms of man marking I use a mixture of opposition instructions and player instructions. With certain players given mark tight and specific players to make depending on opponent. But the back 3 all have mark tight on.  

the centre forwards marking style. 
I tell them to man mark the full backs. But in OI I highly press the centre backs to try get that split press. 

the Gómez role always marks the number 6. But I tried this man marking with him and it just took away from his game he didn’t have as much space when turnovers happened 

Thank very much for explaining your approach. I will dive into my own testing :)

On 15/08/2020 at 13:59, crusadertsar said:

"underlap" doesn't actually increase the wingback individual mentality. It makes them hold up the ball for the players on the inside

Both overlaps and underlaps increase the mentality of the FB/WB and decrease that of the wide fwd/wide mid (if you use him). The difference between OL and UL is that OL tells the winger to hold up the ball for his overlapping FB/WB, whereas with UL he holds up the ball for the FB/WB waiting for him to underlap (instead of overlap). 

On 15/08/2020 at 15:53, camoulton21 said:

Does 'look for the underlap' promote more forward runs from midfielders on the inside of the wide players?

Only fullbacks/wing-backs. Central midfielders are not affected by either underlap or overlap TIs. Both OL and UL pertain solely to wide positions/players. 

25 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

Both overlaps and underlaps increase the mentality of the FB/WB and decrease that of the wide fwd/wide mid (if you use him). The difference between OL and UL is that OL tells the winger to hold up the ball for his overlapping FB/WB, whereas with UL he holds up the ball for the FB/WB waiting for him to underlap (instead of overlap). 

Yeah i realized my mistake after. I was thinking of my defensive wingers, and was confused by that. The winger strata players mentality is actually decreased (on balanced team mentality at least) by underlap which makes sense. But he was talking about wingbacks .

Hello people of the SI forums! Is there any other specific talking points about my Gian Piero Gasperini system that you would like me to cover? I don’t want to just go through all the positions in the team if people feel like am covering the again like episode two. Or is the many people who liked the idea of doing it much like episode 3?

1 hour ago, SixPointer said:

Hello people of the SI forums! Is there any other specific talking points about my Gian Piero Gasperini system that you would like me to cover? I don’t want to just go through all the positions in the team if people feel like am covering the again like episode two. Or is the many people who liked the idea of doing it much like episode 3?

I would like to know the specific position's PPM/traits if there is any. :)

4 hours ago, skyline72 said:

I would like to know the specific position's PPM/traits if there is any. :)

Okay I’ll put together an article maybe just covering this Or I’ll add it in to the next one . In terms of the centre backs that we just covered. I would want marks opponents tightly for all 3. And brings the ball out of defence for the RCB to give it the Toloi effect. 

Edited by SixPointer

I think this is an end to my GPG and Atalanta story. Work is calling and so is FM21. So I fancy one last project. So rather than. Keep analysing this I fancy something new and actually going back to playing the game again. 

thanks everyone for the views, comments and likes. I really enjoyed my first tactical post. I think I probably covered to much in the first post to carry it on. But hopefully I’ll be back soon with another one 

six pointer

1 hour ago, anxiousAnarchist said:

Well it was a great thread well it lasted! I look forward towards your next project :))

Thanks man. I have so much more analysis writing to be done but don’t have the motivation at the minute I may come back and add to it later. But right now am not motivated enough. And miss actually playing the game.  

1 hour ago, SixPointer said:

Thanks man. I have so much more analysis writing to be done but don’t have the motivation at the minute I may come back and add to it later. But right now am not motivated enough. And miss actually playing the game.  

Do it at your own pace. 

No rush. :)