Total Football / Possession Inspired Tactic

@crusadertsar@Djuicer I've been inspired by both of your threads to try to create a tiki taki style with a high press.  Can you take a look at my formation?  I want to play through the right to unlock the left, with my Treq. and F9 becoming my goal scorers. 

I've built my team to have the highest aggression in the league over the years.  Do you think a slower pace of play will be counterintuitive?

I'm still stuck between my current setup on the left with a MEZ-S / WB-D or MEZ-A / IWB-D.

Thank you for your input!

1860 TIKI-TAKA.png

3 hours ago, Tcufrog said:

I want to play through the right to unlock the left, with my Treq. and F9 becoming my goal scorers. 

I've built my team to have the highest aggression in the league over the years.  Do you think a slower pace of play will be counterintuitive?

I'm still stuck between my current setup on the left with a MEZ-S / WB-D or MEZ-A / IWB-D.

1860 TIKI-TAKA.png

That surley can be fixed. As it is now shall be decent. Although the TRQ will act as a ball magnet and it might make it difficult tho steer enough of the ball over to the right side. The F9 is more of a creator than a scorer, but sure. He can contribute but its tricky to get him past 15 league goals in a season.

Aggression is more relevant when you don't have possession than when you have it,I found the TRQ in the striker position was not pressing enough for my system to work as I wanted. On the wing it might be another story. Aggression does not mean you can't play patient and controlling football. More important for a possession style is attributes like vision, decisons and anticipation. If those are relativly high compared to your division then you shall be fine.

The midfield you have now is exactly like the one I used in said formation, I liked it a lot. The MEZa will probably attack more intensly but it cost in defence. I think in your setup WB is a better fit, who else will keep width down the left side?

Lets see if @OJ has anything to add?

Edited by Djuicer

A Treq and F9 are not roles who will score a lot of goals or be the primary goalscorers. Unless you have Messi or Mbappé or regens of their caliber (aka CA/PA). I would advice to change the Treq to IF-A if you want to create from the right and score from the left. Does your RPM have "switch ball to other flank" PPM? If not, have him learn it. 

If you want aggressive press, I suggest you use OIs. Target the GK, defenders, WBs and DMs with tight marking always, closing down always, hard tackling and showing to weaker foot (or channeling them to specific area). You may also want to target the CMs as well, especially if one of them is a playmaker (usually DLP).

Make sure your team training includes Transition - Press and Transition - Restrict activities and you also use Teamwork as Match Prep (it helps with teamwork and pressing, specifically).

Edit: I also do not like Run at Defense TI for Possession/Tiki Taka tactics. 

Edited by yonko

Thanks for the feedback everyone.  My striker and AML players are both world class, so I'd like them to be scoring the majority of the goals.  @Djuicer makes a good point that the Treq role might draw play down the left which I don't want.  Should I instead make my AML an IF-A or IW-A?

Another option is to play a DLF-S up top, then a IF-S on the left with a MEZ-S and WB-D.  I figure this will help with the fluidity of the formation and keep me compact.  I agree with @yonko that it probably doesn't make sense to run at defense.

3 hours ago, Djuicer said:

That surley can be fixed. As it is now shall be decent. Although the TRQ will act as a ball magnet and it might make it difficult tho steer enough of the ball over to the right side. The F9 is more of a creator than a scorer, but sure. He can contribute but its tricky to get him past 15 league goals in a season.

Aggression is more relevant when you don't have possession than when you have it,I found the TRQ in the striker position was not pressing enough for my system to work as I wanted. On the wing it might be another story. Aggression does not mean you can't play patient and controlling football. More important for a possession style is attributes like vision, decisons and anticipation. If those are relativly high compared to your division then you shall be fine.

The midfield you have now is exactly like the one I used in said formation, I liked it a lot. The MEZa will probably attack more intensly but it cost in defence. I think in your setup WB is a better fit, who else will keep width down the left side?

Lets see if @OJ has anything to add?

Slow tempo is fine, there's ways to increase tempo like 1-2s PPM on everyone bar centrebacks.

Like Djuicer, I think your right flank is perfect to act as ball magnet, drag the defense there and then exploit the space on the left as a result. I have the exact same combo in my tactic, just on the left side, with IW and IWB plus overlap selected, and it works great. They'll both score and assist, especially the IWB you can get to score and assist a lot if you buy a young winger with typical winger skills, and as long as they've semi-average defensively they can be absolutely deadly.

But I would also change away from the Treq. I love the role and a good Treq, but like Djuicer said he'll draw the ball there much more early, when you want to draw the ball a lot on the right flank first. Another problem is that since you want to extreme press, the Treq will basically never press, and will also be a bit less direct in attacking IMO. So I'd change to an IFa.

To make your press the most effective, basically what Yonko said and what I do as well when needed. Though I disagree on encouraging dribbling in a possession side. All Pep's sides for example have great dribblers who dribble a lot, cause it's one of the best ways to create havoc and open space when you face deep defensive blocks. Though I don't either use the TI, but almost everyone else, because I have ton of great dribblers, are encouraged with the PI to do it, and it works very well.

Your WB left I'd bump up to support, so he'll provide width there to create space for the IF/Whoever you have going into the box from the left.

Btw as long as you can create enough central plays, and keep the buil-up patient, you can get the F9 to score close to a goal a game. I have for this season Martinelli with 10 starts 7 goals 1 assist, and Thompson my other F9  7 starts and 3 goals 2 assists.

Though the get the role properly working, only way I got it, was to make sure my F9s have drop deep PPM, and put them to roam with the PI. Then with the PPM they'll get much better linking in the ganem creating space, and with roaming also going wide/into channels to create space for your other players in the box.

Edit: Just noticed your  attacking mentality. I've never gotten positive or attacking to work for tiki taka in FM20, what I think it will easily do in your tactic (like it did for me), is that most of the focus of theattacks will go to the wings, and when the wide players have space to advance n the box they'll be much more direct, so i's (IMO) a lot of stupid shots, or then 50/50 crosses to the other wide player arriving at the back post. So I'd try Balanced, and see how it affects. If it becomes too sterile in possession, you can counter it with adding more get into box PI's/PPMs.

Edited by OJ

13 minutes ago, OJ said:

Slow tempo is fine, there's ways to increase tempo like 1-2s PPM on everyone bar centrebacks.

Like Djuicer, I think your right flank is perfect to act as ball magnet, drag the defense there and then exploit the space on the left as a result. I have the exact same combo in my tactic, just on the left side, with IW and IWB plus overlap selected, and it works great. They'll both score and assist, especially the IWB you can get to score and assist a lot if you buy a young winger with typical winger skills, and as long as they've semi-average defensively they can be absolutely deadly.

But I would also change away from the Treq. I love the role and a good Treq, but like Djuicer said he'll draw the ball there much more early, when you want to draw the ball a lot on the right flank first. Another problem is that since you want to extreme press, the Treq will basically never press, and will also be a bit less direct in attacking IMO. So I'd change to an IFa.

To make your press the most effective, basically what Yonko said and what I do as well when needed. Though I disagree on encouraging dribbling in a possession side. All Pep's sides for example have great dribblers who dribble a lot, cause it's one of the best ways to create havoc and open space when you face deep defensive blocks. Though I don't either use the TI, but almost everyone else, because I have ton of great dribblers, are encouraged with the PI to do it, and it works very well.

Your WB left I'd bump up to support, so he'll provide width there to create space for the IF/Whoever you have going into the box from the left.

Btw as long as you can create enough central plays, and keep the buil-up patient, you can get the F9 to score close to a goal a game. I have for this season Martinelli with 10 starts 7 goals 1 assist, and Thompson my other F9  7 starts and 3 goals 2 assists.

Though the get the role properly working, only way I got it, was to make sure my F9s have drop deep PPM, and put them to roam with the PI. Then with the PPM they'll get much better linking in the ganem creating space, and with roaming also going wide/into channels to create space for your other players in the box.

Edit: Just noticed your  attacking mentality. I've never gotten positive or attacking to work for tiki taka in FM20, what I think it will easily do in your tactic (like it did for me), is that most of the focus of theattacks will go to the wings, and when the wide players have space to advance n the box they'll be much more direct, so i's (IMO) a lot of stupid shots, or then 50/50 crosses to the other wide player arriving at the back post. So I'd try Balanced, and see how it affects. If it becomes too sterile in possession, you can counter it with adding more get into box PI's/PPMs.

@OJ Thank you for your input, encouraging news about the F9.  I'm wondering what the difference between the F9 and DLF-S would be in my formation, might just have to give it a go.

Would a WB-S and MEZ-S on the left congest the same space unnecessarily?  I'm also wondering if that would leave my 2 CB's too exposed with the DM-S pushing higher up and the IWB-S on the right getting forward very often.  I was thinking MEZ-S and WB-D on the left so they can vacate the space of my AML and offer fallback options when he doesn't have a scoring chance.  I'm really only trying to create overloads on the right side.

Thanks!

9 minutes ago, Tcufrog said:

@OJ Thank you for your input, encouraging news about the F9.  I'm wondering what the difference between the F9 and DLF-S would be in my formation, might just have to give it a go.

Would a WB-S and MEZ-S on the left congest the same space unnecessarily?  I'm also wondering if that would leave my 2 CB's too exposed with the DM-S pushing higher up and the IWB-S on the right getting forward very often.  I was thinking MEZ-S and WB-D on the left so they can vacate the space of my AML and offer fallback options when he doesn't have a scoring chance.  I'm really only trying to create overloads on the right side.

Thanks!

My pleasure! DLFs can also work, however why I prefer the F9 with those mods is that while the DLF will drop deep and link up play, I don't want hold up ball because I'm already playing patiently enough and the players in the right positions that my ST always has multiple quick passing options so he doesn't need to wait for the others to catch up etc. And I want not just the dropping deep, but also roaming wide so F9 with roaming added as a PI on my F9 to take care of that. So the main reason is because I personally don't want the hard coded hold up ball that comes with the DLP. Otherwise with the stuff I have added it's effectively the exact same role/behaviour (roam, drop deep, more risky passes minus move to channels which I don't need, just Roam for me is better because I have plenty other players who'll be in the channels).

the IWBs  on the right will still often tuck in with your midfield guys to add extra defensive security against counters and a great ball rotation option (also adding security), so I don't think it's necessarily a problem playing the other fullback on support as well. But of course it depends on your level relative to your opponents, but at least in matches you are the favourite and will dominate possession, the other fullback on defend duty is too conservative. You need more players joining the attack since you'll face deep defensive bloks and most men behind the ball, and because you play slow build up so you need men up to occupy the defenders to create space etc etc to create the openings. If you're an underdog, it's of course more risky but can still work completely fine.

WBs, MEZs with an IFa who'll look to cut in to go to the box can work as well. Even if on the outset you'd think they might get in each other's way too much, be too close to each other, it can help you very effectively open defensive locks and play your way to a goal. This is a goal my guys scored from the left, where my setup is IWBs, IW, and at MCL I have an RPM. Then look for overlap ticked. So the wide guys both look to cut in, and the RPM is roaming so he'll very often be in the channels/half spaces as well. Which you think might be an issue. But if you look at the goal it's not an issue at all, in fact it's what enables me to score the goal. Tierney my IWB and Christian my RPM combine, and the guy you see either above Christian at times on the left half space, or then a bit wider left above Tierney at times is Havertz my IW, whose positioning is helping also to occupy the defense:

So it can work, but if it becomes too congested etc, you can also try a BBM who'll be more vertical and add a late box run threat, or a CMs with the mods you want.

Btw just to add, you can get away with a lot of things when you create a strong enough possession foundation and an aggressive press that suffocates the enemy.

To test how far you can you can push things, I played as a test with this extreme formation below against West Ham away, who last season came 7th and kicked the asses of half the top teams at home. To make things more extreme, I put in a total of 6 or 7 playmakers, and my backline was Saka my AML playing at left wing back, Nelson my AMR at right wing back, and my 2 CBs were Frenkie de Jong, and Lucas Torreira, the Uruguayan midget. And I didn't train them at all or give a heads up, basically went to them in the morning of the match "right lads, you're the backline today".

Played the match exactly the same for 3 matches, won the first two 3-1 with both their goals from set pieces, and the last match 3-0. Had total control of the matches and very few defensive issues. De Jong and Torreira creating chances from centreback.

EDIT: the tactic attached

Screen Shot 2020-05-17 at 07.23.35.png

Edited by OJ

There are many ways to create possession tactic. The important thing is to understand how each piece of the puzzle affects the tactic. A possession tactic can be created on any mentality including Attacking and Very Attacking. It can be done with basic simple formation or some unorthodox one. It can be done with a few instructions or a lot of instructions. You just have to understand how mentality, instructions, roles and duties affect the whole tactic. 

This is my updated tactic with the board's recommendations, and my F9 (Monier-Clement) and IF-A (Agudelo).  Thinking of playing them to switch positions to add some more variety.

Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 6.34.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 6.40.16 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 6.40.04 PM.png

Edited by Tcufrog

You can use slower tempo and hold position TIs if you want to control possession more. Monier-Clement lacks passing and vision for F9 role - those need to be at least 14+. Does he have "comes deep"? Players who have attributes for AP-A role are suitable for F9. You can retrain some midfielders. Attributes and Player Traits are so important in possession tactic. 

2 hours ago, yonko said:

You can use slower tempo and hold position TIs if you want to control possession more. Monier-Clement lacks passing and vision for F9 role - those need to be at least 14+. Does he have "comes deep"? Players who have attributes for AP-A role are suitable for F9. You can retrain some midfielders. Attributes and Player Traits are so important in possession tactic. 

Nope Monier-Clement doesn’t have any of what you suggested. I thought he would do, but do I need to alter my tactic now?

3 hours ago, Tcufrog said:

Nope Monier-Clement doesn’t have any of what you suggested. I thought he would do, but do I need to alter my tactic now?

I would say he is more of a wide player in this kind of system. The one you used on the left with good PPMs would be a good F9. It takes time to get this kind of system to really work due to it neeeding good players, fitting roles and PPMs to give the last push when it comes to behaviour on the pitch.

Below is my current tiki taka set-up with Barca.

Barca.thumb.png.d5e7ee6fde2be9b71721efb4c2dacc85.png

End of august and have gained full tactical familiarity.

Suarez currently playing as F9 but producing the goods I expected. Perhaps due to his traits..

Messi missed the pre-season and couple of league games due to injury, so slowly bringing him back to fitness.

My question is do I slot Messi straight as F9 and remove Suarez to IF(A) and Grizi to IW(S) or get Messi to play as an IW(S) on the right flank.

Hopefully in the coming matches, expect to see some nice short passing goals. Will keep posted on the progress.

9 hours ago, nidhar.ram said:

Below is my current tiki taka set-up with Barca.

Barca.thumb.png.d5e7ee6fde2be9b71721efb4c2dacc85.png

End of august and have gained full tactical familiarity.

Suarez currently playing as F9 but producing the goods I expected. Perhaps due to his traits..

Messi missed the pre-season and couple of league games due to injury, so slowly bringing him back to fitness.

My question is do I slot Messi straight as F9 and remove Suarez to IF(A) and Grizi to IW(S) or get Messi to play as an IW(S) on the right flank.

Hopefully in the coming matches, expect to see some nice short passing goals. Will keep posted on the progress.

Both can work equally fine, due to personal preference I would use Messi as the F9 and Suarez as the IFa, and Griezmann as your IWs (and then switching the fullback roles to keep the WB+IF and IWB+IW combos), but as said all combos can work, they're all 3 great, smart and technical players.

So test around if you want, or keep as is, and just see what combo of which player in which position/role gives you the best results and makes you happiest, really, with their play.

• 3 weeks later...

@Djuicer@OJ@crusadertsar

Quick update on my save, my tactic is very very good defensively.  I'm at the mid-season break and currently sitting top of the league and won my CL group - winning lots of games which I'm pleased about.  However, I'm not winning by a large margin (especially against weak teams), and most of my goals are coming from good shots from talented players, not clear cut chances.

Going into the second half of the season, I'm looking for some ideas on how to get my best striker who I've been playing as a IF-A on the left more involved.  He often gets stuck out wide with the ball and is always marked well by the opposition.  I'm struggling to get him in space.  He's been the leading goal scorer in Europe 2 or 3 years now and is hardly scoring for me at all now.  I tried to put "sits narrower" on him but then he's just marked more easily - I'm trying to get him to move into the channels (has the PI) so when I overload the right, he's finding gaps in the defense for scoring opportunities.

The kicker to my formation is that I don't have any players with the "comes deep to get ball" trait.  I believe this could be a big issue based on what I've read on this board about the way the F9 is used in this years game.

From here, I'm considering one of two options that I wanted to get the board's opinion on:

1. Simply buy another F9 with the "comes deep to get ball" trait.

2. Convert my IF-A who has excellent OTB and ANT into a CF-S up front instead of the F-9 and change the IF-A on the left to a IW-S.

Of course I drew PSG in the CL first knockout stage...

Screen Shot 2020-06-08 at 12.49.03 PM.png

13 minutes ago, Tcufrog said:

@Djuicer

Quick update on my save, my tactic is very very good defensively.  I'm at the mid-season break and currently sitting top of the league and won my CL group - winning lots of games which I'm pleased about.  However, I'm not winning by a large margin (especially against weak teams), and most of my goals are coming from good shots from talented players, not clear cut chances.

Going into the second half of the season, I'm looking for some ideas on how to get my best striker who I've been playing as a IF-A on the left more involved.  He often gets stuck out wide with the ball and is always marked well by the opposition.  I'm struggling to get him in space.  He's been the leading goal scorer in Europe 2 or 3 years now and is hardly scoring for me at all now.  I tried to put "sits narrower" on him but then he's just marked more easily - I'm trying to get him to move into the channels (has the PI) so when I overload the right, he's finding gaps in the defense for scoring opportunities.

The kicker to my formation is that I don't have any players with the "comes deep to get ball" trait.  I believe this could be a big issue based on what I've read on this board about the way the F9 is used in this years game.

From here, I'm considering one of two options that I wanted to get the board's opinion on:

1. Simply buy another F9 with the "comes deep to get ball" trait.

2. Convert my IF-A who has excellent OTB and ANT into a CF-S up front instead of the F-9 and change the IF-A on the left to a IW-S.

Of course I drew PSG in the CL first knockout stage...

Screen Shot 2020-06-08 at 12.49.03 PM.png

To me it seems you lack width down the right wing. IWB and IW will be relatively narrow, unless you have selected stay wider on inverted winger? I know the IWB with overlap will play wider but is it enough?

The F9 is really dependant on PPM's to work. I look for those in a F9

· Comes deep to collect the ball.
· Plays 1-2.
· Tries killer balls.

If you have someone with those it can work too:
· Plays with back towards goal.
· Tries tricks
· Runs with ball often.

The key is first:

· Comes deep to collect the ball. Or, · Plays with back towards goal, but I feel its a bit worse.

Secondly:

· Plays 1-2.

And third:

· Tries killer balls.

Last (this is not needed, but can add some spark with the right player):

· Tries tricks
· Runs with ball often.

4 minutes ago, Djuicer said:

To me it seems you lack width down the right wing. IWB and IW will be relatively narrow, unless you have selected stay wider on inverted winger? I know the IWB with overlap will play wider but is it enough?

· Plays 1-2.
· Tries killer balls.

· Tries tricks
· Runs with ball often.

The key is first:

· Comes deep to collect the ball. Or, · Plays with back towards goal, but I feel its a bit worse.

Secondly:

· Plays 1-2.

And third:

· Tries killer balls.

· Tries tricks
· Runs with ball often.

Thanks!  Really hard to find the right player with all these traits... I have players who have all the right attributes, but all three in the right role failed to pick up the "comes deep" trait on my first attempt.

2 horas atrás, Djuicer disse:

· Plays 1-2.
· Tries killer balls.

· Tries tricks
· Runs with ball often.

The key is first:

Secondly:

· Plays 1-2.

And third:

· Tries killer balls.

· Tries tricks
· Runs with ball often.

Why does the F9 needs comes deep to get the ball PPM? Isn't he already deep enough with out that?

Edited by mikcheck

6 minutes ago, mikcheck said:

Why does the F9 needs comes deep to get the ball PPM? Shoul'd he already be deep enough with out that?

I feel it defenitly add to the role. Comes deeper more often and it feels as if it is ”deeper” too. I feel its not really a false nine with out that trait.

36 minutes ago, Djuicer said:

I feel it defenitly add to the role. Comes deeper more often and it feels as if it is ”deeper” too. I feel its not really a false nine with out that trait.

Good call, I'll buy someone this window to play the position.  Now I guess I also have at least two players I thought could play the position I need to sell...

I'll also add the "stay wider" to my right IW-S.  Hopefully this draws play closer to the right boundary to open up the left.

11 hours ago, Tcufrog said:

Good call, I'll buy someone this window to play the position.  Now I guess I also have at least two players I thought could play the position I need to sell...

I'll also add the "stay wider" to my right IW-S.  Hopefully this draws play closer to the right boundary to open up the left.

You might be able to keep them, try to either learn the PPM with training or get in a player with it and mentor it. 

8 minutes ago, wixxi said:

Could always try using an AM-s with roam+dribble more+ more risky passes instead of a F9 to help him to come deeper

Thanks for the suggestion, I might give this a go.  Just need to see how it'll affect player's mentality and my high press.  I like the striker position because it allows me to press higher up.

The AMs will probably not end up in the pentalty area as often to help finish off moves as the F9 does.

Edit: Luis Cantu as F9 with:
· Plays 1-2.
· Tries killer balls.

272862f91bd3dfa2aab46fbfa23185e7.gif
Starts deep, collects the ball, moving the ball out wide, end up in the box and fires it home.

Edited by Djuicer

2 minutes ago, Tcufrog said:

Thanks for the suggestion, I might give this a go.  Just need to see how it'll affect player's mentality and my high press.  I like the striker position because it allows me to press higher up.

I believe the AM-s mentality will be 1 band above a F9-s mentality, but if you find it’s not high enough due to the position difference could try with an attack duty instead.

2 hours ago, Djuicer said:

The AMs will probably not end up in the pentalty area as often to help finish off moves as the F9 does.

Edit: Luis Cantu as F9 with:
· Plays 1-2.
· Tries killer balls.

272862f91bd3dfa2aab46fbfa23185e7.gif
Starts deep, collects the ball, moving the ball out wide, end up in the box and fires it home.

great sequence right there!

@DjuicerI’m still not getting many good scoring chances, still having the same Issues as before. Not really getting my best attacking players scoring chances, even with a F9 with good attributes and comes deep to get ball. Any ideas?

1 hour ago, Tcufrog said:

@DjuicerI’m still not getting many good scoring chances, still having the same Issues as before. Not really getting my best attacking players scoring chances, even with a F9 with good attributes and comes deep to get ball. Any ideas?

Is the tactic still the same as in the old screenshot? For me the striker scored a lot in this formation when I used a pressing forward on attack. The wingers scored enough too I felt. Both where IW on support. The midfield was later changed to a DMs instead. Worth to keep in mind was that I played on "only" a positive team mentality.

On ‎21‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 21:52, OJ said:

Btw just to add, you can get away with a lot of things when you create a strong enough possession foundation and an aggressive press that suffocates the enemy.

To test how far you can you can push things, I played as a test with this extreme formation below against West Ham away, who last season came 7th and kicked the asses of half the top teams at home. To make things more extreme, I put in a total of 6 or 7 playmakers, and my backline was Saka my AML playing at left wing back, Nelson my AMR at right wing back, and my 2 CBs were Frenkie de Jong, and Lucas Torreira, the Uruguayan midget. And I didn't train them at all or give a heads up, basically went to them in the morning of the match "right lads, you're the backline today".

Played the match exactly the same for 3 matches, won the first two 3-1 with both their goals from set pieces, and the last match 3-0. Had total control of the matches and very few defensive issues. De Jong and Torreira creating chances from centreback.

EDIT: the tactic attached

Screen Shot 2020-05-17 at 07.23.35.png

If you are going to man mark the opposition to force passing mistakes. Would you get the F9 to mark the keeper or the better passing CB ?