Sports Interactive Community
Jack722

A quick note about goal scoring strikers

Posted (edited)

Seeing as I see lots of people on these forums that need help getting there strikers to score, I thought I'd make a thread about poachers and advanced forwards in order to help a little.

The Poacher

image.thumb.png.55c54980db15f3d3db407f1e0ea2ab60.png

We're going to be using Piatek, firstly because he's a very classic poacher, he has:

• Excellent finishing
  • Good heading
  • Good off the ball, anticipation
  • Good all round physicals
  • Fairly poor ratings for other attributes

I've also chosen Piatek due to AC Milan having a like-for-like replacement in Cutrone, as well as lots of attacking midfiedlers to offer good support.

Now, how can we get him to score goals? I confess that I started a save with Milan a while back, and Piatek played like ****. We also were extremely inconsistent. The one thing that I have been seeing that is consistent with almost every  tactic I see that has a struggling forward, as well as my old failures, is that we all seem to over-use possession based instructions eg. Play out of defence, lower tempo etc.

Let's look back at Piatek's attributes and see how they will work in a team that looks to keep the ball. 

• Excellent finishing
    • not much to say here
  • Good heading
    • This is being wasted by teams that look to play shorter passing as well as work the ball into the box
  • Good off the ball, anticipation
    • This means that Piatek will be good at making well timed runs behind the oppostion defence, as well as positioning himself well for a cross.
      • These will be useless if your team isn't looking to play risky through balls and make crosses
  • Good all round physicals
    • Again, a player with good physicals will almost always be more comfortable playing a direct style, where he can use his pace to run on to direct passes, as well as use his strength and balance to challenge in ariel duels
  • Fairly poor ratings for other attributes
    • If i haven't made my point already, this is where it gets hammered home
    • how can he be a useful player building up attacks with short passes when some of his weakest attributes are those such as teamwork, passing, vision?

OK, now that I've made my point clear, let's design a simple tactic that will get the most out of Piatek.

Instructions

image.thumb.png.76a7311034af3372d331862b6c837fa9.png

• Positive mentality
    • We are AC Milan, a good Serie A team, not only do we have good enough players to play a riskier mentality, playing positively will ask our players to take more risks with the passes, and potentially find Piatek making a run
  • Hit Early Crosses
    • Probably one of the best instructions to have for a classic poacher
    • The quartet of good Heading, anticipation, off the ball, and agility screams for you to hit early crosses. This is because not only can your striker head the ball well, but he knows exactly where the ball is going to land, and he has the agility to get there in time
  • Higher tempo
    • Makes us play quicker to try and catch the defence off-guard, giving us more space to play through balls in to.
  • Counter 
    • Lets us take advantage of space when it's given to us, a counter is when we'd have the most space to play through balls in behind the defence, so lets make the most of it
  • Counter-Press
    • Again, we're a good team, and the formation I'm going to play gives us lots of players in the attacking half so it makes sense. It will also allow us to win the ball high up and when the opposition aren't in a good defensive shape.
  • More urgent pressing + prevent short GK distribution
    • We're already pushing a bit higher up due to the mentality, and as we're a good team on the ball, we may aswell try and win the ball back a bit quicker
  • Play out of defence, Shorter passing
    • As Piatek is good in the air, so we are more than able to play direct to him so that he can lay the ball off to the many players around him in our tactic. A direct pass from our defenders may allow us to catch the defence off guard and attack more space
    • Even if Piatek is against good airel defenders, we may lose the long ball, but then we can initiate a counter pressing system. This means that we can win the ball high up the pitch while the opposition isn't in a good defensive position

Formation

image.thumb.png.91456dbe94f246331b35ef986aad3f34.png

A very simple tactic

• We have width on both sides, with a winger and an attacking fullback.
    • Gives us a source of crosses from both sides
  • Late runs into the box from the BBM
    • Lets us overload the box before a cross comes in, to take some of the attention away from Piatek, basically a decoy
  • BPD and SK
    • More risky and direct passes from the back to turn defence into attack more quickly
  • CMD to cover the attacking fullback
  • Two sources of through balls for Piatek, from the IFs and the AMs
  • Notice how we have no playmakers
    • playmakers are good for when you want to play out of the back, or if you have one player who's much better on the ball than everyone else
    • They like to come short to a player on the ball so that they can recieve the ball and try and make something happen
    • I originally had Paqueta as an AP in my first 45 minutes, but changed him to an AM, this is because he came really deep when our defenders had the ball, meaning that we had fewer players up front to recieve a forward pass
      • I don't need Paqueta to come deep, as my defenders are comfortable enough on the ball to not need help, I also have Biglia in central midfield, who has excellent technical skills.
      • With a Paqueta as an AM, we can work the ball up to him through out BPD -> CMd (Biglia) -> Paqueta. Now when Paqueta recieves the ball, he is closer to the goal and closer to Piatek, where he can make things happen.

How has it been doing?

We're not so far into the season yet, but pretty good ;) 

image.thumb.png.03710468ed1948f726bbbccdf7c5dda0.png

image.thumb.png.0eefc905f58c9249e64cb557ba253c34.png

Some might say that I've only been playing bad teams, but one of the biggest struggles for this sort of person is breaking down defensive sides. We have been doing this with ease.

*EDIT

image.thumb.png.0a4d5cd69f6ec9aa948b5ed840b2869e.png

Just drew against Juve. But look at those stats, we were better than them in almost every way

and Piatek scored the equaliser

Edited by Jack722

Analysis

image.thumb.png.7873f4ce514d3146efdb8f538a7a9678.png

After a dominant performance against Lazio, and yet another goal for Piatek, I thought I'd show what kind of situations happen with this tactic

image.thumb.png.dfb4898c2957ab54a94647fbaa2439cd.png

Our encouragement of crosses leads to our RB swinging in a cross into the box, where we have 3 players waiting to pounce. The prescence of these bodies leaves the defenders losing Piatek, who uses his good anticipation and heading to get onto the end of the cross, and forces a good save from the gk

image.thumb.png.b7bceb2986710626026eba8cb03f1345.png

Grouping togther a good passer such as Suso at IFs with Piatek, while encouraging riskier plays, leads to situations like this. An excellent pass from Suso and a brilliantly timed run from Piatek leaves Piatek 1v1 against the keeper, this move gave us a clear cut chance from absolutely nothing. Sadly the GK made another good save.

Piatek ended up scoring from a pinball situation in the box after being in the right place at the right time - typical of a poacher such as himself.

Do you have many goals coming from the other players?

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Sophos said:

Do you have many goals coming from the other players?

I've just closed the save so can't check right now. But IIRC, we've had a few goals come from both Suso and whoever plays BBM (Kessie or Bakayoko)

Suso can cut inside and take shot, and the BBM is both a threat with a longshot, particuarly after a failed clearance, and from making late runs into the box to get on the end of a cross.

Despite Piatek getting most the goals, Suso has been out best player so far, chipping in with both goals and assists

Edited by Jack722

What a great post.

Maybe in another post you could do the same thing with an pacey advanced forward?

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, jozza800 said:

What a great post.

Maybe in another post you could do the same thing with an pacey advanced forward?

Good idea, in the past I've played Rashford as a lone advanced forward, and he was the top scorer, despite teams looking to defend deep against us seeing we were Man Utd, I'll try and recreate it after I do a few more posts on AC Milan and Piatek

*EDIT

@jozza800 I just remember that I made a post about that team a while back, the link is here: 

I'll probably redo it though, as there are a few things I would change now, and I didn't focus on the advanced forward when I wrote about it.

Edited by Jack722

Posted (edited)

Update

image.thumb.png.7fd338a09ebee7b5152afb565cc444be.png

We're still going strong 11 games in, having won every game apart from the draw against Juve.

image.thumb.png.4a276c1c5c6d519d764e2d12b4c984b2.png

We had a couple of shakey 1-0 wins in a row where we were pretty poor and had to rely on set pieces/penalties, but I had faith in the system and I knew that it was solid, so I haven't changed a thing, and kept the starting XI the same except for injuries.

image.thumb.png.5ffc91e92e5ce3c7a7ce1063bf6425cd.png

After a rapid start, Piatek slowed down a bit and had a mini 'drought' where he didn't score in 3 games, but he made up for it by scoring 4 in the next 2 games.

Analysis v Fiorentina, goal #1

1249481120_florence1.thumb.PNG.55b2f11f741df2445982dbf4ad14be4e.PNG

A long clearence from our left back finds its way to Piatek, he uses his physical ability to win the ball against the centreback, before getting 1v1 against the other CB

279391688_florence2.thumb.PNG.23f9a4ca02a7424ba6a1afb2df441c11.PNG

He skins the other CB, knocking the ball past him, before smashing the ball into the net

I absolutely agree that I was lucky that Piatek had the ability to beat 2 CBs and finish, but this situation is what he thrives off of. Physical duels and finishing chances when he has space. I had these situations in mind when creating this tactic, so you make your own luck really. This never would've happened if we decided to slow things down and play out the back

Goal #2

image.thumb.png.305360ef778f409eeb7aef7b28594477.png

Here we played an early cross into Piatek. Piatek had good enough anticipation, agility and off the ball to get away from his marker and stay onside before smashing it into the net again. I like this goal a lot as it shows how strikers that 'need space' can still play well against teams that defend with numbers, we created a good goalscoring chance in a 2v7 situation. Poacher's don't have to wait until there's an oppertunity to counter attack.

Our 3rd goal was another early cross, this time missing Piatek, but finding our inside forward at the back post. As you can see, Piatek is absolutely thiriving on this higher risk style, it's the best way to give your poacher space to play in.

Edited by Jack722

Good post. Hit early crosses isn't something I've ever used myself, but just started a save with Athletic Bilbao and think it could help get the best out of the old man Aduriz so thanks 👍

9 hours ago, OleGunnarSolscharl said:

Good post. Hit early crosses isn't something I've ever used myself, but just started a save with Athletic Bilbao and think it could help get the best out of the old man Aduriz so thanks 👍

for me, hitting early crosses should just be to what you default to when you have a classic poacher up front. As long as your poacher has the attributes, you would have to need a very good reason not to use it

I've had trouble with Lone Strikers in a 4-2-3-1 Wide in the past. In my latest save I went with TikiTaka Template the game gives you and my Striker has scored 26 in 28 games as a AF and that is with being marked by two CB's regularly. The player is Adrian Grbic of Clermont Foot 63 in Ligue2. 

3 hours ago, Hootieleece said:

I've had trouble with Lone Strikers in a 4-2-3-1 Wide in the past. In my latest save I went with TikiTaka Template the game gives you and my Striker has scored 26 in 28 games as a AF and that is with being marked by two CB's regularly. The player is Adrian Grbic of Clermont Foot 63 in Ligue2. 

mind to share your tactic? as i see most people that struggle to get their forwards to score is using an advanced forward

1 hour ago, zyfon5 said:

mind to share your tactic? as i see most people that struggle to get their forwards to score is using an advanced forward

Here is my tactic the TI's are straight out of the box what the Tactics induction gives you when you first start a career. Also Never mind the Striker in picture is a Pressing Forward-Attack. This is my team with a rotated Squad.

ccV9NK.jpg

The biggest thing I can tell you about Striker movement is get a player that is fully green for the role you want it help immensely.

On 22/05/2020 at 12:26, Hootieleece said:

Adrian Grbic

Nice one had him in Scotland with my hearts. Not a wonderland but a good striker. It’s strong how you build around him that he could score this much.

2 hours ago, HanziZoloman said:

Nice one had him in Scotland with my hearts. Not a wonderland but a good striker. It’s strong how you build around him that he could score this much.

The above tactic is my tactic. The first stringers are better than those in screen shot. The R Winger squares the to him about half the time and the AMC looks for him....had 19 assists. The L IW-S seeks him out about 1/3 of the time. He gets plenty of service. The season I am talking about was in Ligue2.

The current season in Ligue1 he hasn't been as prolific but has still contributed 7 goals in 18 appearances.

I noticed that when I play with 2 strikers they score a lot more and are a lot more clinical. When I use lone striker up top, they just can`t finish the chances they get.
Even in the end of the season statistics prove my point. For example first season I was playing the whole season 442 and my strikers got 35 and 21 goals in the league. Second season I mostly played with 1 striker and he got 20 goals in the league.
Around the Europe teams that play 442 are scoring a lot more. Mbappe and Icardi had 30 and 28 league goals playing 442. Ronaldo had 33 goals playing in a 442. For example Messi had 15, Haaland 17, Lewandowsi 18, Kane 20, all of them playing alone up top.

1 hour ago, FCArsenal said:

I noticed that when I play with 2 strikers they score a lot more and are a lot more clinical. When I use lone striker up top, they just can`t finish the chances they get.
Even in the end of the season statistics prove my point. For example first season I was playing the whole season 442 and my strikers got 35 and 21 goals in the league. Second season I mostly played with 1 striker and he got 20 goals in the league.
Around the Europe teams that play 442 are scoring a lot more. Mbappe and Icardi had 30 and 28 league goals playing 442. Ronaldo had 33 goals playing in a 442. For example Messi had 15, Haaland 17, Lewandowsi 18, Kane 20, all of them playing alone up top.

Recently I started to try 442 formations and my strikers were scoring so many goals! One season I had my two strikers with 30+ goals each. The following seasons they wasn't so clinical :( But definitely better than one striker