Player ratings

There are a few trends in player ratings I’ve picked up from playing FM and wondered if others have noticed the same. 

- My GKs always have a relatively low rating. I once went a whole season conceding only 4 goals, yet my GK’s average rating was 6.85

- My DMs always have a high rating in the game 

BBMs also seem to get relatively middling ratings (6.5-6.7, 6.8-6.9 if the team is winning) unless they assist or score.

I think this is likely because their role is expected to do so many things they get docked for any one thing they *don't* do well, even if they do everything else at an acceptable level.

9 hours ago, Bugdog7 said:

There are a few trends in player ratings I’ve picked up from playing FM and wondered if others have noticed the same. 

- My GKs always have a relatively low rating. I once went a whole season conceding only 4 goals, yet my GK’s average rating was 6.85

- My DMs always have a high rating in the game 

For as long as I can remember, GK ratings have been an issue with wildly fluctuating ratings that don't make sense..  I had a pre-season game against my feeder team some versions ago that we won 17-0 and of course, all the team got ratings of 9+, including the GK who dealt with no attempts on goal at all during the 90 minutes!

I always explained the GK ratings (to myself anyway) that a solid defense was as much a part of it as the GK himself. I think, in FM20 though, the GK ratings have got a bit better/more appropriate, but if he doesn;t have to make any saves during a game, I don;t think his rating will move whether it's a clean sheet or not.

Your DMs getting a high rating might well be part of the reason your GKs are low - if the DM does his job then the opposition has fewer chances, therefore less for you GK to do to raise his rating.

All players I buy lose half a star upon arrival, and GKs may lose 1 to 1.5 star over a year. Consider that all my coaches and training are top notch, so I don't understand this drop in star value. A bit sad...

13 minutes ago, phd_angel said:

All players I buy lose half a star upon arrival, and GKs may lose 1 to 1.5 star over a year. Consider that all my coaches and training are top notch, so I don't understand this drop in star value. A bit sad...

The star rating rates the players in comparison to players in your own squad, so if a player is moving from being a big player in a smaller team, up to a middle player in a better team, his star rating will drop.

3 hours ago, phd_angel said:

One thing I noticed a long time ago was the AI really struggles when it comes to rating goalkeepers. You can have amazing staff but sometimes they are way out with what they are trying to tell you. Best thing to do is judge on everything you can see yourself and make your own conclusions. 

I’ve always had difficulty in getting players who play in the ‘number 10’ position between midfielders and strikers to get consistently good average ratings. It’s never mattered whether they were an attacking mid, advanced playmaker, shadow striker etc, they’ve always struggled to average much above 7.10 or so. It’s been the case with every team I’ve ever managed. 

In my current game, I’m Dortmund, won the league 3 years in a row, generally getting good average ratings from most first teamers. I have Phil Foden, who’s rated as being brilliant (he’s now 24) and his average rating for the current season is 6.95. For last season, he managed 7.12.

For his country this season, he’s averaging 7.97 haha. Can’t get him much higher than 7.10 no matter what I do. And this has always happened with AMers who play “in the hole”.