Sports Interactive Community
Hovis Dexter

The penalty for missing a penalty

Does anybody else think that a penalty miss has too great a negative impact on the player's rating. At half time one of my guys had missed a penalty and had a rating of 6.1. In view of the rating I subbed him but at the end of the match I looked at his performance stats and apart from the missed penalty he made no other mistakes and had completed 24 of of the 26 passes that he made which included one key pass. The other stats show that he had attempted but not completed one cross and had completed the one tackle that he attempted. IMO the 6.1 rating seems somewhat harsh.

I agree. You don't get a 6.1 rating for missing a sitter in front of an open goal which should be easier to score. I've rarely seen a player come back from that low rating for missing a penalty and when you leave them on you always get the "Player x had a shocker out there, why didn't you sub him" question from the press. 

Yeah completely agree with you both, I have noticed this and it’s quite frustrating 

Agree also. A missed penalty instantly ruins a players match, They rarely if ever recover from it to reach anything over 6.5

I think the system works well enough. A missed penalty is serious and shouldn't have to happen. It's such a good chance to score and ~80% of all penalties are converted. If a player misses a penalty, it's almost always their fault. They did something that wasn't good enough, and even though it does happen, it's on the unacceptable side of things for me. Sometimes a goalkeeper does an outrageous save (Sneijders penalty vs Romero in the 2014 World cup comes to mind) but barring that it's the player's fault for not being focused enough. Failure to convert such a good opportunity should rightly be reflected in his match rating.

2 hours ago, Norfair said:

I think the system works well enough. A missed penalty is serious and shouldn't have to happen. It's such a good chance to score and ~80% of all penalties are converted. If a player misses a penalty, it's almost always their fault. They did something that wasn't good enough, and even though it does happen, it's on the unacceptable side of things for me. Sometimes a goalkeeper does an outrageous save (Sneijders penalty vs Romero in the 2014 World cup comes to mind) but barring that it's the player's fault for not being focused enough. Failure to convert such a good opportunity should rightly be reflected in his match rating.

But missing a penalty in the 20th minute when your team is already 2-0 up ruining a players whole game is frustrating and slightly unrealistic, The player personality doesn't seem to matter either he just does not get over the miss

1 minute ago, cris182 said:

But missing a penalty in the 20th minute when your team is already 2-0 up ruining a players whole game is frustrating and slightly unrealistic, The player personality doesn't seem to matter either he just does not get over the miss

I don't think the score prior to the peno miss should matter. I also think there are plenty situations where the player recovers from the miss and works up a decent match rating again. Having it drop 0.3 steps or so because of a penalty miss is completely alright with me.

You lot are too soft. The penalty for missing a penalty in my club is being shouted at by me in the team talk, criticised after it in a conversation, thrown in the Under 23s for a month and then made to train penalties for the rest of his life. :D

There is a lot more at play, I think. than just missing the penalty. The miss shouldn't just drop him to 6.1 but should reduce his rating at the time by a certain amount. I don;t know what it is, but let's, for the sake of argument, say it is a 0.5 reduction.

If the player was at 6.7 before the pen, and misses, he should drop to 6.2. Now, a 6.7 was distinctly average anyway, so would he climb back up to that level quickly on a bang average performance? Probably not.

If he was at a 7.5 for example, he would drop to 7.0 and has been playing well anyway, so could well get his rating back up fairly quickly if he doesn't let the miss affect him. He was playing a blinder and will probably continue to do so.

In cases like this, (you see it sometimes with other players making expensive mistakes) I keep an eye on him for a short while - if the rating starts to climb, he's fine and can carry on. If it doesn't, then I sub him off if it makes sense to.

So, his frame of mind before the miss, his personality and ability to recover from it play a big part in it as well as his performance level on that particular day. Sometimes a kind shout, or a roasting from me, or sometimes just a shrug and a 'head up son you're doing alright'. Depending on the player and the situation.

On the other hand, player can play badly for most of the game and be at 6.3 for example  and then once be at the right place at the right time and score a goal which will bump up his rating.