Two players playing the same role

I'd say it's overkill, especially if you play them with Defensive mentality. The role has hold position so they'll be quite static and close to each other, so you have 2 guys doing a job 1 guy could do, limiting you out of a more progressive players. It would be different if you had 1 of them as some kind of roaming playmaker, then at least it would be more fluid and they're not just sat 5m apart from each most of the game. So if one is mobile and a good dribbler, switch him to RPM for example, DLP+RPM is a good combo I use succesfully for years playing possession football. RPM will come deep, help defensively, but also roam along with the build-up and camp outside the box, which is very useful, so he'll be involved with more phases of play and with his roaming adds unpredictability to help drag defenders around.

That's in my opinion only of course!

Or if you need/want to keep the DM and BBM, then switch the DLP to RPM. if you have a good team I would at least try a DLP as the DM, the RPM + BBM combo though.

Edited by OJ

6 hours ago, Kingsim101 said:

one is a BBM the other is a DLP but they are both natural DLP

When you say "natural DLP", do you refer to the (full green) circle of "role suitability" suggested by the game or player attributes?

Btw, every player can play more than one role successfully. So even if they are both "natural DLPs", it does not mean that you have to play them in that particular role.

Anyway, two playmaker roles played so close to each other in most cases constitute tactical overkill and I personally never play that way, even if they are given different PM roles (e.g. DLP and AP), let alone the same role. 

20 hours ago, Kingsim101 said:

What will happen if i had two central midfielders play as deep lying playmaker? Is this a good idea? I generally play a DM and 2 CM one is a BBM the other is a DLP but they are both natural DLP. 

Why not try them as two central midfielders next to each other, and slightly tailor their game around their attributes and player traits.

By playing them as DLP's there is hard coded behaviour in there which might see them both trying risky passes forward, or just passing the ball backwards and forwards to each other.

I think you could have two more dynamic similar roles together though

8 minutes ago, Kingsim101 said:

They both have full green circles for DLP and pretty much half green circles for other roles.

I think theres a possibility given your original post you could play one CM with the better passing attributes, so passing, technique, vision, you could then give HIM a player instruction of attempt more risky passes.

The other central midfielder that you usually use as the BBM, id use the player with the better tackling, determination, stamina, work rate etc as a central midfielder.

Id then perhaps consider your opponent and where the better passer will find the space. so for example, if your opponent is playing WITHOUT a DM, you could potentially ask what would have been your BBM to hold position, whilst your slightly more creative CM "gets further forward" into the space where there is no opposition DM.

You could do the opposite. you could ask your slightly more creative player to hold position and then act as a semi-quarterback, whilst your other CM has more responsibility to close down and help the forward line.

I think you definitely have options.

Just going by those pie icons isnt really a great way to go. I could play a slightly out of role messi more successfully than a perfectly comfortable fully green pie ansu fati for example.