Unofficial French League Superthread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

FC Metz End Of Season Review

I finally managed to get Champions League football for FC Metz. I managed to get 3rd place finish in the league.

image.thumb.png.8ef4875f2056a5c52b1e0fb4c83f056c.png

I had a great run in the last few months of the season.

image.thumb.png.fde70b9b4f3596b9c1999ea01a7c11eb.png

As you can see in the screenshot below Ake Loba was my top scorer with just 15 goals, Claudio Gomes had the best overal average rating and Djibrail Dib got the most assists and also got 13 goals as well. Dib was probably my best player and I have managed to take him on loan for another season.

image.thumb.png.3a861fbaabb1adae49370b2e2dd2ff67.png

Djibrail Dib

image.thumb.png.ab96e6cb9f15e5b838f00763d2725839.png

Ake Loba

image.thumb.png.404279421735746a0101644c942b938e.png

Claudio Gomes

image.thumb.png.df9e90051f836452182acd2d035e29d3.png

The rest of squad contributed with 5 players getting more then 10 goals each including fan favourite Diallo who got 13 goals in 18 games. 

image.thumb.png.bfccb9da19d650db9ff290a727496820.png

@bendixkunert2 - great progress even if it was tough luck in Europe. Hope you can keep it going in the league.

@AddicksFan- we all seem to be grappling with injuries right now! Hang in there and keep up the good work.

@Ronaldo Beckham- what an excellent season that is. Congratulations on qualifying for the CL! Will you be looking to spend big in the summer?

@Jogo Bonito- do you have any idea about my newgen related question? Also what database settings did you use? 

@Ronaldo Beckham Congratulations on your league finish and for bringing European football back to Metz!

@karanhsingh Sorry, I don't know much about that sort of stuff. I have just France (National 2 and above) loaded, with a database of about 111,000 players including all African nationalities and all players within Africa.

My latest Lorient update is now added on FMCU, I need to catch up on the other French stories there.

Lille_OSC_logo.png

update 1.3 transfer special

First to the league. It has been hit and miss. We crashed out of the Coupe de France with a 1-2 defeat at Dijon where we played horribly. That was by far the most disappointing game of the season. We also suffered a last minute equalizer at Montpellier who are sitting rock bottom 20th in the league. We however are still sitting on top of the league 2 points ahead of PSG who we play next and play them in the final of the Coupe de la Ligue. I expect 2 defeats.

Unbenannt.thumb.png.b301e268479a95c54d576963b15098cb.png

Unfortunately we also have to deal with a very disappointing injury.

Unbenannt.thumb.png.37fe85bcd4c5bfa4ccdcd2519dcb4afa.png

Which leaves us thin on the wings we however got a guy who can play there but more on than now in the transfer update.

We actually made a quiet bit of wheeling and dealing but there were some good players made available at cheap prices so I took advantage.

First, we shipped off Fonte, Remy, Gaitan and Andre. The reason being for the first 3 age and way too high wages. We actually did get rid of the entire salaries of Fonte and Gaitan, we only have to continue paying Remy 600k for the rest of the year. But considering he is earning north of 3 million € per year it is a good deal even though we only received a combined total of 3.3 million in fees for them. But getting them off the books was critical.

The 4th player was Andre. Now, he is a solid player and was decent for us. He however wanted to play more, is 29 and Leiceister made a 10 million offer. We did let him go.

Now into the replacements:

First, the 2 Argentinian imports. Both of them were extremely highly regarded by our scouts. In fact the first one received a 90 grade and a 4.5 star current ability. Cost 10 million which can rise to 12.5 million. In my opinion an absolute steal.

Unbenannt.thumb.png.b4756c1533f62284fd01264894d5267e.png

He looks like top top class. Only 21 years old with a lot of room to grow. I think he will have to play some RW this year due to our depth concerns there but his future is in central midfield.

The 2nd Argentinian is a popular name in Almada. The cost was even lower and he even commanded a very reasonable salary at 800k per year. He is a very good replacement for Gaitan and will compete for a starting spot.

Unbenannt.thumb.png.dfece96338881fa7da7402202cb46703.png

Now we were hunting for some bargains and we found a RB, CB and striker to improve the depth.

Unbenannt.thumb.png.0c06a940dd07d56bcb107c7d5243f786.pngUnbenannt.thumb.png.149abd2d6beefa071ffec632f28c2784.pngUnbenannt.thumb.png.65f352505f6f7e0c3ab13c948a025d3d.png

I do consider all these deals as bargains.

Zahovic appears to be a good backup striker for us right now. Cost 2 million.

Meunier was put on the transfer list by PSG for 1 million. I didn't think twice about this. He is the new starter at RB.

Le Normand was also put on the transfer list, I picked him up for 1.4 million. He is at worst a decent backup but he already played a couple games for us and looks good.

Overall we are looking at a net spend of 12.175 million €. I consider it a solid first window. We got younger and I think better.

Other transfers in Ligue 1 worth noting were David Neres for a whopping 61M deal to PSG. Surprisingly and fortunate for us Lyon send 2 of their best players to the EPL. Denayer for 51 million to Arsenal and Depay for 63 million to Chelsea. This could really help us because I think we will battle them for 2nd place in the end. They signed Jean Lucas for 8 million and Barco for 28.5 million (imo very overpriced) as replacements but I think they got weaker by a lot.

Awards Time

Loba won the Best African Player Of The Year with Fulgini coming 2nd.

image.thumb.png.30e4164a21b71093e18127eb33d3b4a0.png

Claudio Gomes made the French League XI of the season.

image.thumb.png.b1abab584cd0bd9baff7d1fc22c8cad3.png

Dib was voted the Most Promising Player of the season.

image.thumb.png.f0d456105bd8bf18e81faa3f5eba7525.png

I am annoyed as I didn't even make the shortist for Manager Of The Year, Viera who was managing Dijon who got 11th place was on the shortlist and of course the PSG and Lyon managers were on the shortlist but not me. 

Just now, Jogo Bonito said:

Nice recognition for Loba. What drew me to look at him at the start of my season was that it's very unusual for an African player to be playing in South America, especially a fairly average Peruvian team. He's done well though.

Yeah hopefully he will end up in one of the top European leagues and more eyes can see him bang the goals in.

19056432.jpg

UPDATE 1.4

We are entering the crunch time of the season and it has been going well. The only big disappointment has been a 3-2 loss at home to Nantes where we conceded 2 goals from free kicks. Besides that we kept on winning while PSG dropped some points. Really happy to see that my old team Rennes trashed them 4-0 at home.

Unbenannt.thumb.png.3772e201fc846cc5620030ccfa73d807.png

We have a real chance to win the league although we still have to play Monaco, Lyon and Marseille.

Unbenannt.thumb.png.0d800495b625b273af050790ead9ad06.png

Our standout player so far clearly has been Victor. It will be interesting what happens this summer as many top clubs should be after him.

Unbenannt.thumb.png.c226b28376fc90542e030007e2da7ce1.png

Our youth preview wasn't anything special we however did a more than solid intake actually highlighted by this guy. Wanted by Arsenal and projected to be a lot better than Almada. Promising!

Unbenannt.thumb.png.b6749b2dd1dba5e8c28661402985d82a.png

In general our youth is looking strong and we already had to decline tons of offers for our youth players because we intend to play them in the 1st team starting next year.

Unbenannt.thumb.png.09b91e025aef0605253e6cf866e324c8.png

Unbenannt.thumb.png.c74ebaf1229d8ca966cdde6e2a443de3.png

Unbenannt.thumb.png.5e1794ad9228bfcb054181e87a02c631.png

Lots of these guys are really promising and deserve a chance.

15 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

@bendixkunert2 Definitely in your hands now! Great to see Osimhen doing so well, one of the bright young things of African youth football that has delivered on the promise he showed when he started with the Nigerian youth team. I have Boula on my shortlist, just monitoring him for nest season.

@Ronaldo Beckham It must be Diallo time then!

Cogalan is another youth player I love. I didn't realize their youth teams were that good until now.

edit: our transfer budget for next year was set at only 10 million anyway. So we will have to go to our youth anyway. The club apparently wants to build up the finances first and see if we can repeat the success.

Edited by bendixkunert2

23 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

@bendixkunert2 Definitely in your hands now! Great to see Osimhen doing so well, one of the bright young things of African youth football that has delivered on the promise he showed when he started with the Nigerian youth team. I have Boula on my shortlist, just monitoring him for nest season.

@Ronaldo Beckham It must be Diallo time then!

It certainly will be.

I just got a boost to my ego being offered the French and Belgium National manager jobs but I turned them down as I want to succeed with Ivory Coast.

2 minutes ago, bendixkunert2 said:

lol thats exactly my worry finishing 3rd and getting knocked out by a great opponent. Best of Luck against Feyenoord!

Yeah the French League needs to be allowed more teams in the Champions League group stage. At least 3 teams. I hope I beat Feyenoord.

FC Metz Transfers

So there was no tranfers out to start off with.

Here are the players I bought in.

image.thumb.png.8a7ef4a0da20b9bf1c7b7ee8beda26a6.png

Enzo Le Fee

image.thumb.png.e050d5f63de5c7ea123aad551ebeb77e.png

A lovely signing from Lorient (Cheers Jogo lol), has come into the team and already made an impact. 

I signed him for a bargain £4.4m.

He has had an impressive few seasons at Lorient.

image.thumb.png.dc1ebd87c35b3d6249c1b072fa719265.png

Paul Bernardoni

I needed a new number 1 goalie as I wasn't too impressed with last season's number 1 Nicolas Tie. So I signed Paul Bernardoni who is a good keeper from Bordeaux. 

image.thumb.png.669bf93e2dce0e4d7ad5a4e247e6c019.png

I signed him for £4.3m, I am confident I can get him performing better then he did for Bordeaux and get him conceding less goals.

image.thumb.png.d4341bc871f649087cd5d0e2de00088c.png

I also managed to sign Claudio Gomes and Djibrail Dib back on loan for another season.They were both amazing for me last season.

Brilliant work with Metz @Ronaldo Beckham. Good luck in the champions league! 

Also good work @bendixkunert2 with Lille. Osimhen has been huge. Always wanted to manage him but haven’t done so yet. Hopefully you can get through the tough run in and knock PSG off at the first attempt. 

Really enjoying the start of my Nice save. Hoping to get an update up in the next few days once I’ve hit January. A few players that I’m really enjoying having in the squad. 

Edited by 10Sammo10

Just now, Jogo Bonito said:

@Ronaldo Beckham Good signings, Le Fee is a very consistent player for me, and your new man in goal should be reliable too.

Yeah I didn't want to sign too many players this season as I have a big squad. I just wanted to a few quality additions.

Just now, 10Sammo10 said:

Also good work @bendixkunert2 with Lille. Osimhen has been huge. Always wanted to manage him but haven’t done so yet. Hopefully you can get through the tough run in and knock PSG off at the first attempt. 

Cheers buddy.

40 minutes ago, 10Sammo10 said:

Really enjoying the start of my Nice save. Hoping to get an update up in the next few days once I’ve hit January. A few players that I’m really enjoying having in the squad. 

Dolberg has been banging in the goals in my save. 

Lot of updates in here!! 

@Ronaldo Beckham- that is great work getting past two very difficult opponents in the CL. It's a tough group but maybe you can get out of it or at least finish 3rd and drop down to europa which would be a more winnable tournament. I sometimes prefer that!

Massive win against PSG too. Can you post up a screenshot of the regen who scored the brace? 

@bendixkunert2 - also great stuff at Lille and good luck with the end of the season. The regen you got looks very good but I would convert him into a BBM due to his good tackling and poor dribbling rather than have him play AM.

I will have an end of season update up today as well. 

I have a question on squad building for the good folks here. Say your team is progressing well and making strides forward. Qualify for europa then the next season make the CL but there is obviously still a gap to the top of the league. The squad is well settled with the senior players all over performing and good youngsters as back up in every position. How do you go from there? Do you sell and upgrade the players even though they have been doing so well? 

It's something that I can now foresee myself struggling with at Red Star because we have been punching above our weight and I am not too sure how to keep pushing forward from here. Also in France this is a peculiar issue because the gap between PSG and the rest is so large - at least on my save. How do you catch up? They just finished a season wherein they dropped a grand total of 6 points and the top 3 scorers in the league all play for them - Mbappe Neymar and Mane :lol:

3 hours ago, karanhsingh said:

Lot of updates in here!! 

@Ronaldo Beckham- that is great work getting past two very difficult opponents in the CL. It's a tough group but maybe you can get out of it or at least finish 3rd and drop down to europa which would be a more winnable tournament. I sometimes prefer that!

Massive win against PSG too. Can you post up a screenshot of the regen who scored the brace? 

@bendixkunert2 - also great stuff at Lille and good luck with the end of the season. The regen you got looks very good but I would convert him into a BBM due to his good tackling and poor dribbling rather than have him play AM.

I will have an end of season update up today as well. 

Thanks for the kind words buddy. I am at work at the moment but I will try do a screenshot later if I remember.

Sochaux - December update

Results wise it's been a bit of a mixed bag really, a hammering away from home against Monaco and a stuttering draw away to Amiens hampered our progress a little, mind you injuries to key players have not helped one bit..we still find ourselves vying for Europe..January and February will be tough two of my most influential players Eboa Eboa and Kebbeh are off to the Africa Cup of Nations.....

image.thumb.png.01776ae31df515ea7b3eb053e948cf80.png

image.thumb.png.b91eee1fac9c8201c7f9efebdfe5c552.png

King Kebbeh picked up two awards, Player of the Year Ligue 2 and Foreign Player of the Year winner Ligue 1.....Prevot picked up the revelation of the Year Ligue 1 award.

My player of the Month has to be this little fella, incredible performances, which have now drawn the attention of Europe's elite clubs and two offers for £1.1M!!!! from Liverpool and Chelsea....he's happy to stay though.....

image.thumb.png.d02033b460fa03ab9e3cd18850d2cc6c.png

image.thumb.png.9e7c1fff5311d3243ad15d9bb4fad6f5.png

10 minutes ago, AddicksFan said:

Results wise it's been a bit of a mixed bag really, a hammering away from home against Monaco and a stuttering draw away to Amiens hampered our progress a little, mind you injuries to key players have not helped one bit..we still find ourselves vying for Europe..January and February will be tough two of my most influential players Eboa Eboa and Kebbeh are off to the Africa Cup of Nations.....

image.thumb.png.01776ae31df515ea7b3eb053e948cf80.png

image.thumb.png.b91eee1fac9c8201c7f9efebdfe5c552.png

King Kebbeh picked up two awards, Player of the Year Ligue 2 and Foreign Player of the Year winner Ligue 1.....Prevot picked up the revelation of the Year Ligue 1 award.

My player of the Month has to be this little fella, incredible performances, which have now drawn the attention of Europe's elite clubs and two offers for £1.1M!!!! from Liverpool and Chelsea....he's happy to stay though.....

image.thumb.png.d02033b460fa03ab9e3cd18850d2cc6c.png

image.thumb.png.9e7c1fff5311d3243ad15d9bb4fad6f5.png

Nice to see you doing well with Souchaux, Keep up the good work.

3 hours ago, karanhsingh said:

I have a question on squad building for the good folks here. Say your team is progressing well and making strides forward. Qualify for europa then the next season make the CL but there is obviously still a gap to the top of the league. The squad is well settled with the senior players all over performing and good youngsters as back up in every position. How do you go from there? Do you sell and upgrade the players even though they have been doing so well? 

It's something that I can now foresee myself struggling with at Red Star because we have been punching above our weight and I am not too sure how to keep pushing forward from here. Also in France this is a peculiar issue because the gap between PSG and the rest is so large - at least on my save. How do you catch up? They just finished a season wherein they dropped a grand total of 6 points and the top 3 scorers in the league all play for them - Mbappe Neymar and Mane :lol:

Money, youth system and reputation in my opinion

Qualifying for the Champions League regularly will bring in the funds and increase the clubs reputation, allowing it over time, say at least 3 to 4 seasons of continual qualification and a couple of years making at a minimum the knockout rounds to both grow financially and reputationally, meaning better players will begin to be affordable and want to join...

Having a great youth system should be used as a profit centre, it will allow you to promote to your first team and loan out for experience (only if the team you are loaning too has good or better training facilities and a minimum guarantee of important player) but also over time allows you to sell for huge profits. Obviously you may want to keep the odd starlet but again it's a fine line between success now or later, plus the great youth players will attract offers you just have to set a fee that you'd be happy to accept which ultimately benefits the team

It might take a few years to knock PSG off their perch but IMO it's doable

22 minutes ago, AddicksFan said:

Being in 4th place is great, definitely more than a mixed bag!! Best of luck for the rest of the season

5 minutes ago, AddicksFan said:

Money, youth system and reputation in my opinion

Qualifying for the Champions League regularly will bring in the funds and increase the clubs reputation, allowing it over time, say at least 3 to 4 seasons of continual qualification and a couple of years making at a minimum the knockout rounds to both grow financially and reputationally, meaning better players will begin to be affordable and want to join...

Having a great youth system should be used as a profit centre, it will allow you to promote to your first team and loan out for experience (only if the team you are loaning too has good or better training facilities and a minimum guarantee of important player) but also over time allows you to sell for huge profits. Obviously you may want to keep the odd starlet but again it's a fine line between success now or later, plus the great youth players will attract offers you just have to set a fee that you'd be happy to accept which ultimately benefits the team

It might take a few years to knock PSG off their perch but IMO it's doable

True, I think I should prepare myself for a long haul on this one rather than look to make huge strides forward every season, which we have done so far to be fair but it gets a lot harder from here on out. 

1 hour ago, karanhsingh said:

Being in 4th place is great, definitely more than a mixed bag!! Best of luck for the rest of the season

True, I think I should prepare myself for a long haul on this one rather than look to make huge strides forward every season, which we have done so far to be fair but it gets a lot harder from here on out. 

Thanks for the kind words.....yeah I sort of believe the French league to be a longer term save due to the gap between PSG and the rest

53 minutes ago, AddicksFan said:

Thanks for the kind words.....yeah I sort of believe the French league to be a longer term save due to the gap between PSG and the rest

Yes I actually think it'll be easier to win a European trophy than Ligue 1