Will anyone be buying FM21?

2 saat önce, enigmatic said:

I mean, they did...

Sorry but where is it? I didn't see any solution for shots from narrow angles. Wide players are still waiting for opponents to come and touch the ball. Transfer issues still there. AI tactics are still far from having any intellegence

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 769
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/10/2020 at 23:45, ChelseaSince86 said:

Actually liked the video but I hope to christ the "you opened your arms widely and improved body language" bit is not something we have to choose, before then having to choose conversation responses.

Choose how to welcome the player etc.  Not keen on that, at all

Will buy it ahead of release no doubt, as I do every year.  

Better take up those yoga classes if you want to succeed in the next version of FM. :-)

I won’t be buying the game. It looks like there has been no changes to tactics. Saw a screenshot of the FM21 tactics creator on the Football Manager official Twitter account and apart from an updated description of Defensive Width, there is nothing new. Really POOR effort by SI if this is the case. Disgusting for such an important part of the game. Stuck in last century when it comes to tactics and struggling big time to keep up with modern tactical innovations and particularly a really big ignorance on the complexity of modern defensive schemes.

Sadly, FM is now largely seen by many tactical enthusiasts as a “backwards” game when it comes to tactics, essentially the football management game equivalent of being a “climate change denier” or “anti-vaxxer”.

20 minutes ago, Juego de Posicion said:

Sadly, FM is now largely seen by many tactical enthusiasts as a “backwards” game when it comes to tactics, essentially the football management game equivalent of being a “climate change denier” or “anti-vaxxer”.

Care to quote someone?

14 hours ago, coppicat said:

Better take up those yoga classes if you want to succeed in the next version of FM. :-)

Once i start playing i think the body language stuff will grow on me, i just hope on Miles' twitter the vote ends with traditional handshakes winning and not changing the language to covid conditions "elbow bump" etc

Longtime lurker first time poster here (been playing since FM15.)  In regards to buying FM21, I will. Despite my frustrations with some of the aspects of the game, I still get immense joy and replayibility out of it. Some, rather lengthy, thoughts about the new features:

- I'm a huge fan of RPG games so I'm looking forward to the new focus on interviews, meetings, and interactions and having them feel more "real". It seems this will help a lot with immersion; I don't mind doing interviews so having it more of an engaging process will help the matchday and club atmosphere.

- I love the little details like when you talk to a player about a new contract the agent and director of football are now in the room as well. I also appreciate that the background is now a boardroom backdrop rather than a static text box. I love talking to players (priasing them for training, warning about form, etc.) so this will, again, help with immersion and make it feel like I'm running a team.

- The UI has seen some immense improvements in the last couple years. The tactic screen especially is much more intuitive. Looking forward to seeing how '21 has improved off of '19 and '20.

-I'm a sucker for advanced stats and the new xG stat has me super excited. I think this will help a lot to find out what isn't working with a tactic (a point I'll get to later.) Also, I believe I saw something where when you have a scouting meeting you can send out your scouts to find players with specific analyst reports, like key passes, key tackles, chances created, etc.. This is such a welcome addition; I'd love to see more recruiting teasers as we get closer and when the game comes out I hope we get even more advanced stats to browse through. (Fair warning that I saw this feature in one of the teasers and it was only on screen for a moment so I may be mis-interpreting what I saw.)

-Now on to tactics. One thing I would love so see SI do more of is help with understanding tactics. My tactical knowledge is limited, which can lead to a lot of frustrations, but I would love to study more and find out why my tactic isn't working.  Like many, I have had frustrations with the FM20 match engine, but in my case it's with my own ignorance when it comes to more advanced tactical strategies.  I'd love to have a huge positional guide that I can read through and really get a handle on a duties and roles; the game now only has a little blurb and doesn't really explain how positions interact with each other. The game (specifically FM20) can get boring because it feels like I have to default to the 4-3-3 wide gegenpress with elite teams because that's the only way I can get results.  For example, I'd like to try out a style where I sit back patiently but hit back hard on the counter (not dissimilar from the Leicester teams with Vardy) but it can be difficult for me to descern what exactly the tactic creator is doing and how to recreate what I have in my head. I want to play patient defensively but high tempo offensively and I have no idea how to achieve that because I'm not sure how the tactic/position instructions work and engage with each other. I would love to learn and discover how I can create more intriciate systems, rathern than picking a preset tactic or simply downloading a tactic and playing with Barcelona or Liverpool.

-On that note, it would be awesome to see SI become more engaged with their YouTube channel about tactics and positions and how the game works. I've been to their channel but there is only game trailers and teasers. What if we got in-depth tactical analysis* videos like ("how to build a team using a 3-5-2" or "how to develop your youth team" or "breaking down the difference between a roaming playmaker and an advanced playmaker"). I think this would help a lot with people who aren't necessarily beginners, but they're not advanced technicians either (like myself.)

*I know there are a lot of really helpfull YouTube channels for Football Manager; this is just regarding SI and their channel.

-As it is now, watching a match isn't that fun (I play matches on 'full match' but the fastest speed.) I can't tell you how many games I've had where we've had 30 shots, 18 on target, 3 CCC, 2 woodworks and the other team has 1 shot on goal and I lose 1-0. It's like at the start of the match the game decided that no matter what I do I'm not winning this game... and to be clear, I'm not saying the match engine does do this, I'm just saying it feels like it does this and it's incredibly frustrating.  Admittedly, this point can be traced back to not understanding tactics, but that's kind of the point? I'm getting feedback that my team (appears) to be playing well and the game is keeping me from winning.

tldr; I'm looking forward to the game but would like to see strides made in understanding tactics

3 hours ago, ButchertheBaker said:

tldr; I'm looking forward to the game but would like to see strides made in understanding tactics

Well said, you're not wrong 

It must be an AI thing, but your Ass Man is next to useless. You're keeping possession, he tells you to play more direct. Prematch he'll tell you change player roles & focus play down the left/left/centre, if you applied anything he's telling you, you'd end up in a right mess  

3 hours ago, ButchertheBaker said:

I can't tell you how many games I've had where we've had 30 shots, 18 on target, 3 CCC, 2 woodworks and the other team has 1 shot on goal and I lose 1-0.

This is where I hope XG can be beneficial to help with these types of matches. Although these games create a sort of confirmation bias, as these are the ones that stick in the memory longer. I'd wager over 90% of your matches where you dominate possession and chances, you'll win. Those 'unfair' losses stand out more. 

But yeah, the hope is these new tools should give more info in what has gone wrong in those games. 

As I've been saying every year for the last 15 years:

Yes, I'll buy the new FM21 edition.

Even if it's only a bit more than a refresh with update, FM is excellent fun worth for my money, and I now see myself more as a loyal patron of the franchise, so I could kinda glance over a few bugs or issues if these are temporary.

So, yeah, hell yeah...

:Bowen:

every now again i feel like going of grid and sticking with the fm20 i have done it before with previous versions and i might do it again, i am feeling like making a donation to my local food bank tbh instead of paying for something i do not really need. 

On 11/10/2020 at 17:00, Federico said:

When there's a free demo allowing you to play for half a season, much more than 2 hours so to say, that doesn't sound like "simple" move.

Considering last year the match engine was so different during the demo compared to how it is now, yes it is a simple move. If it's good enough in the demo then maybe I'll have no need to, but either way I'm still going to do it

Ços I can listen to podcasts or music on spotify and actually chill whilst playing FM and not listen to the same noise for 15 mins and then silence and then 15 mins of noise while the game is going on.

I read somewhere a while ago that it would be too much to add the sound for everything. Probably a low priority at this point.

I guess some additional sound/fans cheering/background music when they score a goal, etc. would be a nice touch but not really a priority.

I won't buy it on launch. Might look in at the January/March time period, when I can grab it for a tenner maybe. I want to see the teething problems and so on first, once I sift through the usual fanboy 10/10 reviews and the useless "OMG IT SUX" reviews.

I have bought the game for my nephew though. His birthday is in November, so he always asks for Football Manager and so he always gets it. But, he's admitted he won't play it immediately as he's on a pretty decent lower league save in FM20 atm. :)

I’ll be buying it as I have every year going way back to the CM days on my Amiga.

I spent more on last night’s take away than FM will cost so I’m comfortable with the value it offers.

I know it’s not perfect nor do I expect it to me. I’m not looking for every detail of the ME , but for me the match is a computer generated approximation of a football match. 

On 28/10/2020 at 15:44, rosque said:

Ços I can listen to podcasts or music on spotify and actually chill whilst playing FM and not listen to the same noise for 15 mins and then silence and then 15 mins of noise while the game is going on.

It doesnt have to be noise, or do you watch real football listening to podcast or Spotify? Sound is part of the experience like any other entertainment.
Overall its a lot more important than answering  repititive questions from a journalist.

2 hours ago, Solstad1069 said:

It doesnt have to be noise, or do you watch real football listening to podcast or Spotify? Sound is part of the experience like any other entertainment.
Overall its a lot more important than answering  repititive questions from a journalist.

I listen to pundits and talk to my family whilst watching the game irl. Except the game IRL is 90 mins + like 25 more mins cos of extra time and half time. Game in-game is 10-20 mins depending how you watch it. If you can get me good punditry in the game I might watch it. Otherwise I don't care about the sound that is just a dumb white noise.

45 minutes ago, maxi7 said:

Yes because for the £26 I paid for it I see as great value for money. It will burn a lot of time whilst restrictions are in place and I didn't get a Xbox order in on time :(

If the beta does drop on the 10th it should give us plenty to do during the lockdown lite, we'll get our monies worth in November no problem 

FM21 will be the first FM I won't buy. I felt let down with FM19 a bit, and FM20 was...just a disaster. SI's approach was even more so. "majority of players are happy with it so we won't fix". "reflects real life statistics, so we won't fix"). "You can expect it to be fixed in FM21" (but I've paid for FM20!!!), you name it.

I'll wait until january/february, monitor other players feedback and SI's approach and if it's really improved (I mean the core of it, not gestures, sounds, graphical stuff and other meaningless things to me) I'll buy it. "Lost trust in management" in general, sadly.

I have decided not to.

I played quite some hours and even on low intensity it was pretty much and i am bored of it by now.

I will take a break of some years.

If anyone did or did not not notice there where changes to the ME lately which make quite sense and it will probably be a good experience but i am overfed and need a diet.

Til another time then :)

PS: Probably my very displeasure with the very recent development in real world football plays a major role in that too...football has long left the realms if sanity and i am no longer with it!

I have been with FM/CM  since CM2. That is at least a 5 figure sum of total hours devoted to this game.

However, I have no interest in purchasing it this time around.

To me FM 21 is a data update with some features rehashed (Almost to the point of a FIFA new game). Especially as it is stuff I don't want in the game and usually hand over those duties to the staff.

It's now become a cross between "Media Manager" & "Psychology Manager".

Sadly it just doesn't interest me at all enough to pay the money. 

I've actually changed my mind on looking through the pre-release footage, mainly the smoother, improved ME but some of the additional content appeals to how I play the game. Looking forward to taking Torquay up into the professional leagues continuing the end of my FM20 save where after 3 seasons with Cefyn Druids, the nod came from Plainmoor to rescue The Gulls.

Aint missed a year since championship manager season 01/02 (the first year I could afford my first PC!). For the 500+ hours I can easily put into this game, its the best value out there. Now with young kids its the perfect pickup and putdown game i can jump into when I have a spare hour or so.

Edited by RaulDuke30

Looking at it from a business perspective and with no real competition in mind, why would SI ever make the perfect football manager. Its more than enough with a few babysteps every year.
Its like those old soap operas, if you skip 5 episodes you really havent missed much.

Since I can remember I have bought the boxed version of FM and as a kind of ritual I find a store and collect the boxed copy to add to my collection.. This year for the first time I am considering digital download and feel somewhat torn. I like to keep the boxes and look back quite fondly on them but I do feel that maybe now is the time to move to digital fully.. am I being daft in resisting and preferring the boxed copies?

39 minutes ago, JR866Gunner said:

Since I can remember I have bought the boxed version of FM and as a kind of ritual I find a store and collect the boxed copy to add to my collection.. This year for the first time I am considering digital download and feel somewhat torn. I like to keep the boxes and look back quite fondly on them but I do feel that maybe now is the time to move to digital fully.. am I being daft in resisting and preferring the boxed copies?

I prefer the boxed copies

Depends. Going to w8 for the Demo. But if i see the ME in the Beta is suprising positive in reviews, i might think about to get it. 

For me its important that when i play with extended highlights the ME is abit realistic, seeing nice plays and tactic changes making sense. Not what FM20 was about, mostly set piece goals, clueless changes etc.

6 hours ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

I pre-ordered FM21 a few weeks a go from Steam. Do I get the Beta if I buy direct from Steam and also how will I know it is ready to download when they release it?

I think Beta you get through Steam or any of SI partners.

No one knows when the beta is going to be release, just keep an eye on these forums.

19 minutes ago, grade said:

I think Beta you get through Steam or any of SI partners.

No one knows when the beta is going to be release, just keep an eye on these forums.

No I mean on the day of release how will I know it will be ready to download on Steam.

At the moment its on my games library but not giving me an option to install it.