Will anyone be buying FM21?

• Replies 769
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@hehehemann I've hidden your post due to the fact we've mentioned as before its not something we're actively looking to have supported/endorsed on the forums. 

But I watched the video you linked, it really isn't showing anything that advocates for the changes to the physics. Those passages of play weren't anything different from what you'd see already. 

4 minutes ago, santy001 said:

@hehehemann I've hidden your post due to the fact we've mentioned as before its not something we're actively looking to have supported/endorsed on the forums. 

But I watched the video you linked, it really isn't showing anything that advocates for changes. Those passages of play weren't anything different from what you'd see already. 

No worries mate, I was showing the video highlights from the patched ME as I feel things are much smoother and better to watch with nothing showing "strange behaviour" that some people are suggesting.

I wasnt seeing those sorts of goals before the physics patch.

Dont want to cause a scene here :) Just hoping the dev crew will take note that maybe users could help improve the game too. 

44 minutes ago, hehehemann said:

No worries mate, I was showing the video highlights from the patched ME as I feel things are much smoother and better to watch with nothing showing "strange behaviour" that some people are suggesting.

I wasnt seeing those sorts of goals before the physics patch.

Dont want to cause a scene here :) Just hoping the dev crew will take note that maybe users could help improve the game too. 

Fm21 is right behind next corner. I'm certain ME coding have gone so far forward that nothing from fm20 can help anymore. Just a little longer and we can start whining from hopefully new bugs and not the old ones. :D No seriously can't wait to get going again with fm21.

2 hours ago, craiigman said:

Can this sort of thing please be fixed though, whether it's an animation issue or something else, it happens far too often. This was the 94th minute and I end up losing because of it.

If it is animation issue you would still concede that 94th minute goal but it would just look "prettier". I agree that animation where player steps on te ball but can't stop happens whey too often in the game. It doesn't look realistic and make players look stupid when they lose the ball like that.

3 hours ago, craiigman said:

Can this sort of thing please be fixed though, whether it's an animation issue or something else, it happens far too often. This was the 94th minute and I end up losing because of it.

This thing has been there for years and it still hasn't been fixed. Another annoying thing was when the forwards would not pass to a player in a better position and shoot from bad angles that are very hard to score from. They fixed that in FM 18, but went backwards for FM 20 for some reason and now we have that issue again... No idea why. 

43 minutes ago, yolixeya said:

If it is animation issue you would still concede that 94th minute goal but it would just look "prettier". I agree that animation where player steps on te ball but can't stop happens whey too often in the game. It doesn't look realistic and make players look stupid when they lose the ball like that.

I get what you're saying, but can you elaborate? What actually happened there other than what the animation showed? How is the manager to know what to do following that incident regarding the player who had possession? 

2 minutes ago, Impacto said:

This thing has been there for years and it still hasn't been fixed. Another annoying thing was when the forwards would not pass to a player in a better position and shoot from bad angles that are very hard to score from. They fixed that in FM 18, but went backwards for FM 20 for some reason and now we have that issue again... No idea why. 

I tried to exercise my tinfoil hat workout and thought, that all these ridiculous ME stuff with players not passing to open strikers, WBs forgetting to deliver a cross and nerfed STs is just a rude way to reduce the number of goals scored, cause otherwise that would be 10-10 every game

4 hours ago, craiigman said:

Was raised a year ago and never fixed.

8 hours ago, dolph11 said:

I get what you're saying, but can you elaborate? What actually happened there other than what the animation showed? How is the manager to know what to do following that incident regarding the player who had possession? 

What I wanted to say that the game already calculated what will happen so even if the animation is fixed he would still concede that goal but the animation would just look better. It's not like I can spot some tactical issue from a isolated incident like that. That's not how FM works. You need to look for trends that happen consistently and adjust according to that.

10 horas atrás, Pav_Makarov disse:

I tried to exercise my tinfoil hat workout and thought, that all these ridiculous ME stuff with players not passing to open strikers, WBs forgetting to deliver a cross and nerfed STs is just a rude way to reduce the number of goals scored, cause otherwise that would be 10-10 every game

I also thought like you in the past, but the truth is that SI simply can't find the balance, and this leave us with this broken ME.

Back in FM16/17 crosses were normal, but defenders would leave way too much space for attackers to head in, leaving too many goals from crosses that weren't even contested. To counter play that, SI decided to tone down a bit the attackers and boost the defenders, but as we can clearly see, they failed so hard that we can see our WB/wingers finding acres of space free to cross, but they will wait until a defender come to block their pass. And this already happened to me so many times that I stop watching matches, that was too frustrating. This also works with all other things in the game, teams that usually dominate the game have a hard time to score, because basically the lesser team suffer from some disease that make them unable to be proper in defending, leaving too much space for the attackers to finish. It is like, how many of us had 4-5 back to back CCCs that even our mothers could square in, but our strikers couldn't?

Unless both attacking and defending start to work properly, this things will be always in the game, because that is how SI coders managed to "balance" things out.

10 hours ago, masno said:

I also thought like you in the past, but the truth is that SI simply can't find the balance, and this leave us with this broken ME.

Back in FM16/17 crosses were normal, but defenders would leave way too much space for attackers to head in, leaving too many goals from crosses that weren't even contested. To counter play that, SI decided to tone down a bit the attackers and boost the defenders, but as we can clearly see, they failed so hard that we can see our WB/wingers finding acres of space free to cross, but they will wait until a defender come to block their pass. And this already happened to me so many times that I stop watching matches, that was too frustrating. This also works with all other things in the game, teams that usually dominate the game have a hard time to score, because basically the lesser team suffer from some disease that make them unable to be proper in defending, leaving too much space for the attackers to finish. It is like, how many of us had 4-5 back to back CCCs that even our mothers could square in, but our strikers couldn't?

Unless both attacking and defending start to work properly, this things will be always in the game, because that is how SI coders managed to "balance" things out.

It might not be intended that way, but this is written in a way that suggests the SI approach is the "wrong" one.  Short of completely rewriting the ME (which will likely be in their future at some point) the way to "fix" is to try for balance.  It's the same with any developer in any kind of engine, particularly one as complex as this.  Hell, it's the same as any system with multiple interconnecting systems.  You can "fix" one, but that will always be likely to knock-on to some other area of the game.  It's a constant balancing act, but that's not a problem with SI, despite being a problem that SI have to attempt to solve.

No I will not be buying FM21 this year. Up until FM13 I bought every Football Manager game since I found a copy in a local game store in high school, but since I get so immersed in some saves and adult Life is a constant buzz kill, I've hadn't had the opportunity to just sit and game anymore, and also other than some minor tweaks and more aesthetic updates every year it's basically the same game just with roster updates. 

I'm still enjoying FM19 and especially after creating a new database universe I’m hoping to enjoy this save for at least another year. 

Oh yes, to get back in topic as per the original post, I won't buy FM21 - at least not in pre-order, not at day one.

I will give the demo a go for sure, hoping it won't taste as much FM19-20-ish as I sadly think it will.
I will have my own way of testing things out, and of course I'll check both the Bugs and the Tactics forums to see at least in part what's been done with ME and tactics. That's what I care about the most.

------

On a side note, I don't like the way of stating "FM costed me X per hour so it's a good game". I spent good times with games I paid literally 0.20 euros (that's 18p for you brexiters), I have some 400 hours on a game which I paid 4 euros (3.60£) plus the countless hours I enjoyed in the alpha and beta phases, I could have wasted money on the well renowned AAA title The Last Of Us, which I only played for no more than a couple hours.

I've come to a point where it's how much you enjoy a game - and not the hours/price ratio - what makes the difference.

And no, it's not 30 pounds, the official price is 55 euros (49.8 pounds) on Steam - still I wonder why the official price is set to be this expensive and then keys are sold for half the price.

3 minuti fa, themadsheep2001 ha scritto:

The pricing is regional and dependent on retailer. There's no "official" price

Just reporting Steam is selling the game at the same price of the boxed version, if this is their policy it's ok for me, I'll keep buying the boxed version anyway.

Nobody criticized anyone for the pricing.

3 minutes ago, Federico said:

Just reporting Steam is selling the game at the same price of the boxed version, if this is their policy it's ok for me, I'll keep buying the boxed version anyway.

Nobody criticized anyone for the pricing.

Just going back to you and SPGR on "official" pricing, which he stated was 55 Euros. There's no standardized official pricing

On 08/10/2020 at 09:25, craiigman said:

I’m the first to give my not entirely impressed opinions about the ME but I do think we need to back off some of the intricate problems. I think we need some artistic license and imagination here. So don’t take it literally as your player not being able to stop his legs but relate to the fact he can’t cope with the pressure of the situation. The ME has many problems at the moment, I think this is asking for too much finesse tbh.

every year I am saying I wont buy it because the game is literally the same for many years now, with minor fluff additions, but every year I suck it up and eventually buy it. Sadly there is no competition in the football management games and so I am not expecting anything than database updates.. but the chances are that I will buy it this year too.

I will buy it. 

This year, for the first time without even knowing the features.

Why?

Because during the current times this game was great for many people to escape reality. Because despite the times they are making a game and hiring and helping people. Because I believe they will deliver once again. Because I am looking forward to play it. 

I will buy it, but not in a hurry this year for the first time ever.

Will see how it turns out on the new XBOX, see if it comes to stadia, my laptop is showing its age, realised gaming laptops are atrocious and wont be buying another, looking for a better solution.

The Series S looks great value, but I believe FM will be a variant of the Touch Version on this, mixed feelings on this, cant believe it would have the leagues/nations restrictions with a CPU that powerful, it could end up being the best version of the game, fully featured but without press conferences and some of the fluff that gets old quickly.

Will wait for the reviews to come in.       

I think its funny when people say they make their decision depending on the feedback in this forum.:-))

Is there really anyone who thinks the feedback here will be positive :-)

It NEVER is and this says nothing about the quality of the game. Sometimes the criticism is right and sometimes not but the game will be destroyed here 100 percent. You have to make your own decision.

Edited by Defensive

45 minutes ago, dREIS said:

I just can't understand it. The price is less than I'll pay for a takeaway night that we have has a family on a weekend when we sit around and play board games. If I'm prepared to pay £35-40 for two pizzas I've no qualms at all paying it for a game i'll reap at least 1000 hours out of. 

While I see that POV, the truth is if I looked at it like that I'd still be wasting my money on fifa too.

At the end of the day people want to enjoy the game and feel like they've got their moneys worth out of it. For some that'll be just sheer hours of play, but others will at want to have a good ME experience.

Personally I've found FM 20's match engine to be one of the most boring to watch in a long time. Wingers for every team look like they're coached by LVG and refuse to dribble, midfielders refuse to try risky passes, strikers miss a ridiculous amount of chances (albeit this appears to be a balancing act) and fbs are perennially offside. Nevermind the insane amount of backpost crossing goals that happen.

If I'm purchasing FM21, I'd like to see some of these issues at least be addressed in some sort of way. Yes, there are worse ways of spending money, but a video game is there for enjoyment. FM21 needs to bring that back for me. I look forward to seeing what they've got planned for the next instalment.

50 minutes ago, dREIS said:

If I'm prepared to pay £35-40 for two pizzas I've no qualms at all paying it for a game i'll reap at least 1000 hours out of. 

Not here to argue your point, but to put some perspective into your lack of understanding. In Bulgaria you can buy 10 family size pizzas for that money. I will buy the game as I always do.

6 hours ago, dREIS said:

I just can't understand it. The price is less than I'll pay for a takeaway night that we have has a family on a weekend when we sit around and play board games. If I'm prepared to pay £35-40 for two pizzas I've no qualms at all paying it for a game i'll reap at least 1000 hours out of. 

Where the hell are you buying your pizzas from at £20 each

5 hours ago, WelshMourinho said:

While I see that POV, the truth is if I looked at it like that I'd still be wasting my money on fifa too.

At the end of the day people want to enjoy the game and feel like they've got their moneys worth out of it. For some that'll be just sheer hours of play, but others will at want to have a good ME experience.

Personally I've found FM 20's match engine to be one of the most boring to watch in a long time. Wingers for every team look like they're coached by LVG and refuse to dribble, midfielders refuse to try risky passes, strikers miss a ridiculous amount of chances (albeit this appears to be a balancing act) and fbs are perennially offside. Nevermind the insane amount of backpost crossing goals that happen.

If I'm purchasing FM21, I'd like to see some of these issues at least be addressed in some sort of way. Yes, there are worse ways of spending money, but a video game is there for enjoyment. FM21 needs to bring that back for me. I look forward to seeing what they've got planned for the next instalment.

Pretty much this. FM should try to be as realistic as it can be but at the same time we should have fun and enjoyment when we play the Match. Some thing was really lacking for us in the last ME. 

Just an opinion I wanted to share ; saying "if you dont like it no one is forcing you to buy it" is irrelevant at best or dishonest at worst.

No one is pointing a gun to your head to force you to buy FM, obviously... That being said in the current situation there is no serious alternative to FM (please note the word serious).

When an Internet provider is the only one operating in the region, people complain when there is poor service, and I dont think anyone in their right mind would come to tell them : "if you dont like it dont buy it, no one is forcing you, you could very well pay for those AOL internet cds from 1996 instead".

Most people criticizing love the game and want the best for it. Voicing concerns and wishes is not hatred and closing discussion by saying "just dont buy it then" doesnt make for a healthy dialogue imo.

Just my 2cents.

43 minutes ago, Fatkidscantjump said:

Just an opinion I wanted to share ; saying "if you dont like it no one is forcing you to buy it" is irrelevant at best or dishonest at worst.

No one is pointing a gun to your head to force you to buy FM, obviously... That being said in the current situation there is no serious alternative to FM (please note the word serious).

When an Internet provider is the only one operating in the region, people complain when there is poor service, and I dont think anyone in their right mind would come to tell them : "if you dont like it dont buy it, no one is forcing you, you could very well pay for those AOL internet cds from 1996 instead".

Most people criticizing love the game and want the best for it. Voicing concerns and wishes is not hatred and closing discussion by saying "just dont buy it then" doesnt make for a healthy dialogue imo.

Just my 2cents.

Actually it's not a fair comparison. An internet provider or telco provider will need to reach a certain bar to enter the market hence there is very little competition. Meanwhile there is nobody stopping someone like EA to release a similar game and compete (spoiler alert:they failed). The fact that FM managed to dominate a niche market for so long is a testament to how good SI is. Ultimately a complex game like FM will have its flaws and it is up to everyone to decide whether it's good enough. There is no stopping someone to try PES for example which had implement a lot of management and tactical elements into their game recently.

36 minutes ago, dREIS said:

Slough average "large" Pizza is £17, if you're lucky it will be around £15. 

The government may have abandoned us in the North, but at least our pizzas aren’t extortionately priced! My local charges around £7 for a large pizza. 

On topic, I remember them saying early October for feature announcements. It’s the 11th now and still nothing.

2 minutes ago, BuryBlade said:

The government may have abandoned us in the North, but at least our pizzas aren’t extortionately priced! My local charges around £7 for a large pizza. 

On topic, I remember them saying early October for feature announcements. It’s the 11th now and still nothing.

They said from early October TBF. 

1 ora fa, xturqz ha scritto:

I'm going to buy it, and then use the 2 hours I have before refunds are unavailable seeing if the match engine is improved. If it isn't a big improvement then I'll get a refund, simple as that

When there's a free demo allowing you to play for half a season, much more than 2 hours so to say, that doesn't sound like "simple" move.

19 hours ago, PoeticOtter said:

I've purchased every game since I first saw a box with a football on it on the shelves of Game way back in 2000 having no idea what it was. 

But unfortunately I won't be buying this year's breaking a 19 year streak. For me, the game has stagnated year after year with the quality of release dropping with it. I'm not really interested in redesigned panels, new obscure staff roles that don't really impact anything or a new tactic style isn't represented in the match engine. 

What I would like to see is are tactical instructions actually going follow through to the match engine as in FM20, I felt a huge disconnect between what I implemented to what actually took place on the pitch. I'd like the see media interaction binned or completely revamped as it's been tedious for years and doesn't have as much impact as media interaction does in real life. Player interactions have been an issue for years. They often seem engineered to create drama which you're then unable to resolve or follow up with the player in the days afterwards.

My save with Bilbao was ruined as I was unable to sign any reserve/youth coaches due to a bug which was never fixed. It's daft bugs like this and the terrible match engine which will keep my money in my pocket. 

I'll still keep an eye on the forums and announcements to see what FM21 has in-store but I have no excitement or anticipation for the new release for the first time ever. It's sad to say. 

very well said i feel the same i have no excitement for the new game 

Why havnt we hear anything about the new FM21 yet? 

I have two ideas why.
Either its because of a BIG change that they are laying the last hands on, so they can show us. Or sadly and more realistisk its because there is not mush new to rapport back.

A new 3D engine is about time. Time is running from the 3d engine anno 2020. 

But of course I will be the first one playing the game anyway,. 

Keep up the good work Guys!!!!!!!!