Will anyone be buying FM21?

• Replies 769
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought every single CM/FM game released by SI so far but I will hold buying FM21. Not because of the bugs, I will not buy because the new regional pricing is the 2x of what it was on FM20. Now I will wait and see the players' feedback. I may think of buying it with the new price if the general feedback states FM21 is better than FM20.

1 hour ago, BillgatesS said:

Surely I’m not even coder or programmer

The most ridiculous thing I saw in original json file is SI even made letter mistake in their own json file

Oh sweet Summer child...

If that gets you in a tizzy, it's probably good you only had exposure to a json file.

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, Skky said:

Are there even any new features? So far I haven't heard about a single new feature of FM21.

Game details released so far can be found here - https://community.sigames.com/topic/528165-football-manager-2021-out-november-24th/

Features and more related news will come before the full release date, so keep an eye on here and our social channels for any updates. 

I've hidden a few posts from different posters.

Posts that amount to insults in the direction of the developers will be removed. That in turn covers any that quote those posts and such just for the sake of keeping the thread clear of it.

---

You might prefer the way it works and that's fine. No one actually cares how you play your game. You can create a squad of 200CA players, you can give your team a billion in cash, you can take control of the opposing team and throw every game or you can use a few tweaks to a json file and knock yourself out. 

Don't let something you enjoy doing with the game right now push you down a route of becoming embittered and confrontational because ultimately it only ruins your own enjoyment of the game. 

In my honest opinion, the improvements to Football Manager for the past few years have become stagnant; I don't see that much of a difference between FM2015 and FM2020. I also don't think this year's gonna be any different, given the early release date. 

I just hope Sports Interactive will decide to make some key changes to the game, especially to the Match Engine. Overall FM is a very decent game. It's just that I would've wanted more of a change each year. So I'm still unsure about purchasing the game.

Yes. There's not many games out there that can pretty much guarantee you're going to get at least 1000+ hours out of them, before the features are even announced. When it comes to value for money, Football Manager is simply a no brainer for me.

Plus, the beta release speculation threads are entertaining as hell. :D

Just to remind people - making multiple accounts isn't allowed on the forum, especially for the purposes of sockpuppeting, and we've had to hide posts where individuals are doing this. Continuing that sort of behaviour can and will result in those individual's access to the forum being temporarily or permanently removed.

Since we're having to hide more posts, I'll reiterate that we don't care about what people wish to do with their own games. Neither do the folk at SI. 

However, we're not going to allow a degree of misinformation be spread about it. 

Further to this, posts which go down a confrontational, inflammatory, derogatory path or even just reposting the same thing over and over will be hidden. 

• Administrators

Just to reiterate what we said before - we appreciate the passion being shown by the user who tried to make changes to the match engine -  but the only changes made and possible were minor change to player accelerations. Nothing to do with the match AI. It's of our professional opinion that they do not improve the match engine and cause problems with the overall realism. We do not recommend people make changes to these files nor use them in their game. 

We've always encouraged respectful discussion on these forums, so please bear that in mind when posting.

To be honest, for how praisable an attempt to improve the game is, any change was made by a guy who did this with no particulary software knowledge without having decades of backgrounds&knock-ons experience at the back. The software house evalutate the mechanics of the game in its integrity (fatigue, injuries, dynamics of play and so on...) and anyone is entitled to play the game as they wish (any game can be moddable).

Making it better is just a placebo effect and maybe this "patch" could be looked at just to see where the people is oriented towards when talking about ME experience, rather than an improved mechanic of the game.

15 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

Just to reiterate what we said before - we appreciate the passion being shown by the user who tried to make changes to the match engine -  but the only changes made and possible were minor change to player accelerations. Nothing to do with the match AI. It's of our professional opinion that they do not improve the match engine and cause problems with the overall realism. We do not recommend people make changes to these files nor use them in their game. 

We've always encouraged respectful discussion on these forums, so please bear that in mind when posting.

I don't care how u developers look in this matter and try to mesmerize yourself that the game dose change and adding new entertainment at every new titles. Because it's not. For myself, i have been playing this game starting fm09 when new 3D model came to happen. It was fantastic new features and every fan was thrilled about it. But what happen then? Was there actual development that u can say it chaged the game for good? Sure, adding some twitts was fun. New layout? Honestly i cannot go back to 09 or 10 even 17 because of its better quality. But, please. I cannot think of something better to add for your work. Where is those tactical sliders that use to give us the better creative tactics. And how meny time have you guys been hearing that the match engine problem that is far out from the real life football. Please. Let's be honest as i have. I wanna see the same respect you asked to the royal fans who's been tired of hearing that we will chage.

You do your job right PLEASE. We aren't the same person. Games have not developed every year.

PLEASE do your job right. There was no development in graphics at all. The engine also had no development at all and rather degenerated.

Don't mistake the game for selling well because of your ability. It's just that there's no competition.

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Dhl0312 said:

I don't care how u developers look in this matter and try to mesmerize yourself that the game dose change and adding new entertainment at every new titles. Because it's not. For myself, i have been playing this game starting fm09 when new 3D model came to happen. It was fantastic new features and every fan was thrilled about it. But what happen then? Was there actual development that u can say it chaged the game for good? Sure, adding some twitts was fun. New layout? Honestly i cannot go back to 09 or 10 even 17 because of its better quality. But, please. I cannot think of something better to add for your work. Where is those tactical sliders that use to give us the better creative tactics. And how meny time have you guys been hearing that the match engine problem that is far out from the real life football. Please. Let's be honest as i have. I wanna see the same respect you asked to the royal fans who's been tired of hearing that we will chage.

People are entitled to leave feedback on this forum, likewise if they have ideas for new features or improvements they can use our feature request forums here - https://community.sigames.com/forum/680-football-manager-feature-requests/

We believe we've consistently been putting out improved versions of the game with every iteration. Whilst not everyone is going to agree with changes we've made in the past and even some we've made in the future and we know it's an impossible task to please everyone, everyone at this studio works incredibly hard to make FM the best game it can be. We're all players and fans of the game.  

Since FM2015, we couldn't see what was changed especially in graphics, match engine. One user changed some part of match engine because ur match engine didn't satisfied users. But, you are ignoring users feedback and threatening users who changed some part of match engine.

3 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

People are entitled to leave feedback on this forum, likewise if they have ideas for new features or improvements they can use our feature request forums here - https://community.sigames.com/forum/680-football-manager-feature-requests/

We believe we've consistently been putting out improved versions of the game with every iteration. Whilst not everyone is going to agree with changes we've made in the past and even some we've made in the future and we know it's an impossible task to please everyone, everyone at this studio works incredibly hard to make FM the best game it can be. We're all players and fans of the game.  

Then please stop santy from deleting comments that want to communicate with you.

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, jaesung19612 said:

Since FM2015, we couldn't see what was changed especially in graphics, match engine. One user changed some part of match engine because ur match engine didn't satisfied users. But, you are ignoring users feedback and threatening users who changed some part of match engine.

We believe the game has taken strides forward with every version and are sorry to feel you don't feel this is the case. We're not ignoring users and to clarify all we've done is recommend people don't use a match engine which has been altered unofficially. 

4 minutes ago, Dhl0312 said:

Im only writing this because the matter i feel has gone to far. You've mentioned there are some big pictures and you do not want this so called match engine patch to ruin it. Fine. Suit yourself. But where is the picture you've mentiond? I haven't seen for decade. And well it's still fine i known it and I've still bought it. But, seriously, multiple accounts?  

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, merastnova said:

Then please stop santy from deleting comments that want to communicate with you.

I'm trying to make it clear to my moderators not to hide posts - but please be respectful within those posts as laid out in our forum rules. Thanks. 

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Dhl0312 said:

Im only writing this because the matter i feel has gone to far. You've mentioned there are some big pictures and you do not want this so called match engine patch to ruin it. Fine. Suit yourself. But where is the picture you've mentiond? I haven't seen for decade. And well it's still fine i known it and I've still bought it. But, seriously, multiple accounts?  

FM21 will be out later this year and as always there will be a demo available for free to try. People can make up their own mind on the progress we're making and choose whether or not that's something they want to be involved in. As always, it's their choice. 

Why are comments censored? Don't you want to hear bitter words from users? We Korean users are angry at developers who have no development every year. You guys are just blowing your pride. Developers who deceive users will never succeed. Don't think you've made a huge  achievement with just a little change. Indeed, because of your attitude, the majority of Korean users will boycott. Already, the Korean Football Manager community said that most users will boycott the event.

Just now, Neil Brock said:

FM21 will be out later this year and as always there will be a demo available for free to try. People can make up their own mind on the progress we're making and choose whether or not that's something they want to be involved in. As always, it's their choice. 

then i take the comment as you will not make this matter farther.

Like update the current fm20 unavailable to change, or develop the upcoming fm21 in same way. As you said, it's not a virus, but some minor unimportant changes and it's peoples choise what to do about it. 

I hope you're man of your word. 

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, chamber1997 said:

Why are comments censored? Don't you want to hear bitter words from users? We Korean users are angry at developers who have no development every year. You guys are just blowing your pride. Developers who deceive users will never succeed. Don't think you've made a huge  achievement with just a little change. Indeed, because of your attitude, the majority of Korean users will boycott. Already, the Korean Football Manager community said that most users will boycott the event.

They're censored so they meet the community guidelines. FM is a game aimed at a family audience, so when foul and abusive language is used within our community we will of course look to censor that. 

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, chamber1997 said:

We are not multiple accounts. Don't think in a comfortable way. You are now discarding the user's voice in multiple accounts. It is very wrong and rude. There is no need for developers to ignore users.

We can't reply to every single user that posts on these forums. We've taken a huge amount of feedback over the lifecycle of FM20 not only from here, but other forums, reviews and many other sources to help us determine what steps to take for any future versions. 

We are of course aiming for FM21 to be the best game we've ever released, even in a world which has been so affected by Covid, as discussed in a blog post earlier this year by Miles - https://community.sigames.com/topic/525843-sports-interactive-and-the-impact-of-covid-19/

9 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

They're censored so they meet the community guidelines. FM is a game aimed at a family audience, so when foul and abusive language is used within our community we will of course look to censor that. 

All right. I apologize for the swearing. You should also apologize for dismissing our Korean users as multiple accounts.  We just want the game to pursue a better direction and fun as users and fans of Football Manager. Please don't make a fuss about small changes. Users want a variety of innovative changes from what they have long demanded. Don't flatter yourself as if you've made a huge difference with the UI. Don't be flattered by the small change in the engine. That is of course what you have to do. So please just do your job right.

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, chamber1997 said:

All right. I apologize for the swearing. You should also apologize for dismissing our Korean users as multiple accounts.  We just want the game to pursue a better direction and fun as users and fans of Football Manager. Please don't make a fuss about small changes. Users want a variety of innovative changes from what they have long demanded. Don't flatter yourself as if you've made a huge difference with the UI. Don't be flattered by the small change in the engine. That is of course what you have to do. So please just do your job right.

We all want the same thing, to have the best FM experience available for everyone. And apologies for the multiple account accusation - we had seen some users do that in the past to hammer home a point. 

28 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

We all want the same thing, to have the best FM experience available for everyone. And apologies for the multiple account accusation - we had seen some users do that in the past to hammer home a point. 

The hard thing for FM is that the game is released every year. The main issue is with the match engine, but an overhaul on that aspect simply requires more than a year's work, especially when people also expect changes on other aspects of the game. It's easy to complain at the developers, simply being on this forum.

If I were the team, I would focus in the background on bettering the match engine for a few years, while adding a few tweaks here every year. It might not completely satisfy the community in the short run, but it is a chance to vastly improve the game in the long run.

Edited by Skky

I'm as big a fan of the novelty of the custom update as any, but there's better ways to provide this feedback than getting angry at Neil/Mods.

If they don't want to endorse it, it's not really our case to push them to like it, just play it. All we can do is push for a better experience through the official channels mentioned by Neil.

(P.S Please bring back Team Shape setting :D )

Edited by Deego619

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, Skky said:

The hard thing for FM is that the game is released every year. The main issue is with the match engine, but an overhaul on that aspect simply requires more than a year's work, especially when people also expect changes on other aspects of the game. It's easy to complain at the developers, simply being on this forum.

If I were the team, I would focus in the background on bettering the match engine for a few years, while adding a few tweaks here every year. It might not completely satisfy the community in the short run, but it is a chance to vastly improve the game in the long run.

Some changes for each year are more obvious than others. Certainly we've put things in which are part of a longer term plan - so elements that needed to come in first before we could make a next step. I'm not in a position to go into massive details, but can assure you across the entire game there are both short and long term plans. 

2 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

Some changes for each year are more obvious than others. Certainly we've put things in which are part of a longer term plan - so elements that needed to come in first before we could make a next step. I'm not in a position to go into massive details, but can assure you across the entire game there are both short and long term plans. 

Good to hear. I hope the team can put something fine together this year. And good luck with monitoring the forum. Definitely a bit hectic at this point.

1 hour ago, Skky said:

Good to hear. I hope the team can put something fine together this year. And good luck with monitoring the forum. Definitely a bit hectic at this point.

Wait until the beta drops :D

Edited by Johnny Ace

3 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

This is exactly what I have done every year and why I am still playing FM12 and 16.  SI have developed a fantistic football management game beyond anything I could have imagined when I started playing the game all those years ago, but for me the improvement of the ME and graphics stalled after FM17, and that is what frustrates me, because I believe it could be so much better.  I am still holding on to the belief that it will happen one day

Damn, the Koren invasion is going strong! :lol:

While I agree that SI are complacent because there is no competition and that they are holding back, this right now seems like a a few angry teenagers being highly overreactive. I remember a while back something like this happened when there was some issue with the Chinese FM fans and they swarmed the game with bad reviews on steam. While I think you guys have a point, I don't think you're doing any good right now. Like I said, it looks like some angry teens are venting on the forum. 

That being said, the fact that some random dude managed to fix some ME issues and SI can't fix it for a whole year is disturbing. Sure, you have to focus on the next game, but c'mon... don't tell me you can't do better. You can, you just don't have to. Like I said, no competition. 

Here is the issue - the guys at SI don't feel like they are complacent. They think they are doing everything they can. It's not on purpose, they all love what they do and want the game to be better. But competition is the main driver for success and nothing can replace that. If there was competition this thread will not excist. It's a whole different energy. Think of it like this:

If you are sprinting by yourself, you're still sprinting, trying your hardest to reach top speed. But if you're sprinting with someone else and the winner gets $100 at the end, you're pushing way harder. You're giving your all. Again, you're still sprinting very hard with no competition, but it's just not the same intensity when there is. And it's the same in every other aspect of life and business. 

So yeah, unless somebody decides to invest a ton of money and effort to do better or as good as SI, nothing will change much. So no point wasting energy guys, you're hurting yourself in the long run. Just my opinion. :) 

27 minutes ago, Impacto said:

That being said, the fact that some random dude managed to fix some ME issues

It doesn't though - all the file does, literally, is a slight change in player acceleration in the graphics engine for the game. That's it. It doesn't alter decision making or anything like that, because it can't, as the match engine itself (that does all the calculations, makes player decisions, etc) isn't editable.

8 minutes ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

It doesn't though - all the file does, literally, is a slight change in player acceleration in the graphics engine for the game. That's it. It doesn't alter decision making or anything like that, because it can't, as the match engine itself (that does all the calculations, makes player decisions, etc) isn't editable.

Okay, then why are people so happy with such a small change? To the point that some tactics that didn't perform well before are now viable with it? I haven't tried it myself, those are just things I read. Some people going on winning streaks when before they struggled... how can such a change affect those things? I don't get it, really. 

I was interested in trying it out tbh, but when I saw people winning with ease it killed my interest. I don't see the point in making the game easier, that gets boring quickly no matter how fun the ME seems. 

9 minutes ago, Impacto said:

Okay, then why are people so happy with such a small change? To the point that some tactics that didn't perform well before are now viable with it? I haven't tried it myself, those are just things I read. Some people going on winning streaks when before they struggled... how can such a change affect those things? I don't get it, really. 

I was interested in trying it out tbh, but when I saw people winning with ease it killed my interest. I don't see the point in making the game easier, that gets boring quickly no matter how fun the ME seems. 

Placebo effect mostly

7 minutes ago, GloW said:

The question is, how a placebo effect, who doesn't make modifications to the ME, can cause "problems with the overal realist" or "strange results" as Neil stated above? Isn't just a mere a "graphical patch"?

You're conflating two different things. It makes slight changes to players  acceleration physics (which can cause straight behaviour)

But it has no effect on the decision making, so you're not going to see any changes to things like passing, through balls and other decision based work in the ME. 

It's reach is limited, but you can still throw some physics out of whack. 

But it's cannot modify the behaviour of many of the claims being made. So it's actually fascinating to see what people are claiming it does

hace 6 minutos, themadsheep2001 dijo:

You're conflating two different things. It makes slight changes to players  acceleration physics (which can cause straight behaviour)

But it has no effect on the decision making, so you're not going to see any changes to things like passing, through balls and other decision based work in the ME. 

It's reach is limited, but you can still throw some physics out of whack. 

But it's cannot modify the behaviour of many of the claims being made. So it's actually fascinating to see what people are claiming it does

But that "straight behaviour" is only visual, because if the ME cannot be modified, the results or the game general behaviour should be the same, right?

The Korean "patch" is already a big improvement. Players move to the ball much more quickly and I even saw a defender bring a ball down on his chest then attempt a pass.

Another *huge* upside, I played a guy up front as a "Pressing" forward and he was knackered after 70 minutes. How good is that?

Edited by bobbyb12345

39 minutes ago, GloW said:

But that "straight behaviour" is only visual, because if the ME cannot be modified, the results or the game general behaviour should be the same, right?

As mentioned (and can be seen for self if you know how to open a JSON) you impact some of the physics a bit, but most of the match engine isn't there, thats all AI. So you couldn't for example trigger someone to play through the middle more, or pick better passes, or run less, do anything with defensive or attacking triggers etc. And this isn't a slight on the creator, it's because the file doesn't contain any of the parameters to modify what I mentioned. Even the indirect effects aren't creating the above, which is Neil's point. So if someone is saying they are seeing lots of new things and its revolutionized their game, it's not coming from the file...

3 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

As mentioned (and can be seen for self if you know how to open a JSON) you impact some of the physics a bit, but most of the match engine isn't there, thats all AI. So you couldn't for example trigger someone to play through the middle more, or pick better passes, or run less, do anything with defensive or attacking triggers etc. And this isn't a slight on the creator, it's because the file doesn't contain any of the parameters to modify what I mentioned. Even the indirect effects aren't creating the above, which is Neil's point

From a small sample though, it appears players are able to cover more ground therefore enabling them to do more things.

I had a defender sprint back to catch up with a striker through 1v1 and block the shot with a sliding tackle.

Yeah, lets say for some reason you decided to flip walking and sprinting. In the game you'd notice this dramatic shift most likely where the lazy, disinterested players suddenly become the best performers. Meanwhile hard working, always running players would be the worst you could ever look to interact with. 

You could probably play a stunning passing game with these players that most AI teams wouldn't get close to touching because every time they tried to sprint to close you down they'd grind to a halt. 

---

The point you're making there though @bobbyb12345 is that it might have been good for you to watch, but was it actually possible? That question can only be answered by SI doing a bit of a deepdive into it with their tools I would expect but it may well have been the case that it shouldn't have been possible for the defender to bridge that gap.

If you end up with a situation where Mbappe can do a 100m dash in 4 seconds it might look great when he's getting onto the end of overhit passes but its certainly not realistic. Even though visually it would just look like a good, weighted pass.

1 minute ago, santy001 said:

The point you're making there though @bobbyb12345 is that it might have been good for you to watch, but was it actually possible? That question can only be answered by SI doing a bit of a deepdive into it with their tools I would expect but it may well have been the case that it shouldn't have been possible for the defender to bridge that gap.

If you end up with a situation where Mbappe can do a 100m dash in 4 seconds it might look great when he's getting onto the end of overhit passes but its certainly not realistic. Even though visually it would just look like a good, weighted pass.

It's an improvement on a defender never being able to chase down an attacker because it takes them 3 seconds to turn.

It looks a little frenetic but it already feels far better. I noticed my team were taking lots of long shots, I told them to stop and... for the rest of the game, I don't think I saw another shot from outside the box.

39 minutes ago, GloW said:

The question is, how a placebo effect, who doesn't make modifications to the ME, can cause "problems with the overal realist" or "strange results" as Neil stated above? Isn't just a mere a "graphical patch"?

Some of the default player movement animations look a bit awkward in real time in the ME. The mod changes the speed they're executed at, which might look like slicker football even if it's less representative of real life movement capabilities and reaction times.

Presumably the speed players run and turn at does affect the player position calculations in the ME, but not the decisions. If the decision-making is based on assumptions players move at different speeds, presumably it results in players making worse decisions.