Sports Interactive Community

im trying to set up my first tactics on fm 20.  i have very fast wingers and trying to build from the back with fast offensive movement here is my current tactic i need help in making it better im not really good in making my own tactis. thaanks ill love your feedback

Arsenal_ Overview-2.png

What space are your wingers running into? You’re pressing high, so when you win it there won’t be much space behind the defence. When you’re building from within your own half, you’re slowing down play by building from the back, giving defences time to settle. This is made worse by you playing as Arsenal, which means most teams will sit back against you.

4 hours ago, Amazingortega said:

Arsenal_ Overview-2.png

4 hours ago, Amazingortega said:

i have very fast wingers and trying to build from the back with fast offensive movement here is my current tactic i need help in making it better im not really good in making my own tactis. thaanks ill love your feedback

I can tell you how your tactic can be improved with just a couple of tweaks. But there is something I see as more problematic than the tactic itself. It's about player selection - Grealish and Maddison played one next to the other in central midfield ??? What's the exact reasoning and logic behind such decision?

1 hour ago, Experienced Defender said:

I can tell you how your tactic can be improved with just a couple of tweaks. But there is something I see as more problematic than the tactic itself. It's about player selection - Grealish and Maddison played one next to the other in central midfield ??? What's the exact reasoning and logic behind such decision?

Thanks I’ll love to hear your tweaks and usually they don’t start together. It’s just a one time thing 

5 hours ago, Sophos said:

What space are your wingers running into? You’re pressing high, so when you win it there won’t be much space behind the defence. When you’re building from within your own half, you’re slowing down play by building from the back, giving defences time to settle. This is made worse by you playing as Arsenal, which means most teams will sit back against you.

So remove play out from the back and also drop my line of defense and engagement to standard right ? 

9 hours ago, Amazingortega said:

Thanks I’ll love to hear your tweaks and usually they don’t start together. It’s just a one time thing 

Okay then.

So let's start with roles and duties. I think the most logical tweak should be obvious - the attacking CM paired with the supporting winger, and vice versa (opposite to how you set them up):

DLFat

Wat                                     Wsu

CMsu    CMat

DLPde

WBsu    CDde   BPDde   FBsu

This seemingly small tweak actually makes the whole setup a lot more sensible.

But at the same time, if you manage a (top) team such as Arsenal, then this kind of setup looks somewhat unambitious. Which is not a bad idea at all when managing an underdog or a lower-league side, but we are talking about a strong EPL team here. I mean, what's the idea in terms of playing style? What exactly are you trying to achieve?

1 hour ago, Experienced Defender said:

Okay then.

So let's start with roles and duties. I think the most logical tweak should be obvious - the attacking CM paired with the supporting winger, and vice versa (opposite to how you set them up):

DLFat

Wat                                     Wsu

CMsu    CMat

DLPde

WBsu    CDde   BPDde   FBsu

This seemingly small tweak actually makes the whole setup a lot more sensible.

But at the same time, if you manage a (top) team such as Arsenal, then this kind of setup looks somewhat unambitious. Which is not a bad idea at all when managing an underdog or a lower-league side, but we are talking about a strong EPL team here. I mean, what's the idea in terms of playing style? What exactly are you trying to achieve?

Trying to play fast attacking football because I have fast players. Is there a better way you’ll set It up if you’re trying to play fast attacking football ? 

3 hours ago, Amazingortega said:

Trying to play fast attacking football because I have fast players. Is there a better way you’ll set It up if you’re trying to play fast attacking football ? 

Fast attacking football requires the players to be more than just fast. But being Arsenal, you should have players capable of playing such style.

Unfortunately, I don't know your players - except for Dybala, Grealish, Maddison and Bellerin - so it's hard to tell how exactly I would set them up. But I can give you an example that might serve you as food for thought:

TQ

IFat                                  Wsu

BWMsu   CMat

DMde

WBsu   CDde  BPDde   (I)WBsu

SKsu

Basic (starting) team Instructions that would make sense for fast attacking football in case you opt to use the Positive team mentality:

In possession - shorter passing, run at defence, pass into space, (slightly) higher tempo and hit early crosses

In transition - distribute quickly to CBs and FBs, counter and counter-press

Out of possession- higher D-line (and possibly offside trap)

I personally would always prefer a split block via player instructions over more urgent team pressing and/or higher LOE, but that's ultimately up to you to decide.

This formation has countless options, but it's important to pick what suits your players. I think the DMC option you choose will affect so much of what your team does. Do you want your DMC to be a no-nonsense AM(d), HB(d) or DM(d), do you want him to have the creative freedom of a REG(s) or RPM(s), or do you want him to do a bit of both as a DLP(d)? If you choose a conservative DMC then you can send your fullbacks up to attack as wingbacks, which allows your AML/AMR to get into the box instead of staying wide. This is very Liverpool-ish and works well if your wingbacks are top quality. If you choose an aggressive DMC then you will probably want inverted wingbacks who can slide into the DM spot while in possession as your DMC roams around. The RPM(s) role in particular is exciting to watch in this match engine as he can turn into a playmaking superman all over the pitch, but you need a great player to pull that off and more conservative fullbacks to cover the space he vacates.

Em 08/05/2020 em 14:06, Experienced Defender disse:

Fast attacking football requires the players to be more than just fast. But being Arsenal, you should have players capable of playing such style.

Unfortunately, I don't know your players - except for Dybala, Grealish, Maddison and Bellerin - so it's hard to tell how exactly I would set them up. But I can give you an example that might serve you as food for thought:

TQ

IFat                                  Wsu

BWMsu   CMat

DMde

WBsu   CDde  BPDde   (I)WBsu

SKsu

Basic (starting) team Instructions that would make sense for fast attacking football in case you opt to use the Positive team mentality:

In possession - shorter passing, run at defence, pass into space, (slightly) higher tempo and hit early crosses

In transition - distribute quickly to CBs and FBs, counter and counter-press

Out of possession- higher D-line (and possibly offside trap)

I personally would always prefer a split block via player instructions over more urgent team pressing and/or higher LOE, but that's ultimately up to you to decide.

I actually use a system similar to this one and it works very good.

I'm using a DLF (A) instead of a Trequartista with the Pi's to dribble more and roam from position so I can accomodate for the good dribbling and flair of my forwards. Using a DLF I can also give the PI to press more.

36 minutes ago, davidbarros2 said:

I'm using a DLF (A) instead of a Trequartista with the Pi's to dribble more and roam from position so I can accomodate for the good dribbling and flair of my forwards

Yes, DLF (on either duty) absolutely makes sense in this setup. I opted for TQ only because I assumed Dybala has what it takes for the role, but DLF is also a very good and logical choice (especially with the roam from position PI added) :thup: