Runners and Playmakers

Morning All. Hope you are keeping safe and well.

I am slowly but surely getting to grips (I think!) with the intricacies of balance and structure of this game. Thanks to all of your help on here chaps by the way, especially Experienced Defender. Really been of huge benefit.

I was wondering about three things as I am now starting to try and build my own tactics. Or trying too!

Can I have a team with no playmakers (this would entail a high tempo quick brand of football I figure – and this appeals to me) and can I have a team with a lot of playmakers (or creative output nonetheless) and how would this look with my two favourite formations – a 4-2-4 and a 4-2-3-1?

Getting my thinking cap on I came up with this (and I fully expect to get shot down here and for it to be pulled to bits so please don’t hold back – like I say, I never really thought of the intricacies of the game before – I got there by trial and error!) – with a 424.

Dlfs  AF

IFa                         Ws

cms /BBM  CMd

WBd   BPD CD   FBs

Reasoning behind this setup. 

The top two – I have gone for the classic DFs / AF – Its a nice contrast I think – nothing more complicated than that.

The two wide men – The IFa on the left can vacate the the space that the DLFs leaves and the winger adds a nice contrast by offering width and putting in crosses for the front two – I could tinker with two wingers but I believe that once again, the set up I have is more fluid and has better movement..........

The cms

Now I am tempted here for the CMd to be a BWMd. My big concern with such an aggressive style of play, I need to have one midfielder that holds position. I could then marry that with a CMs or a BBM – my preference is the CMs if i’m honest. Maybe I should switch around the CM roles as the CMd would offer more protection with the IFa on that side as well?

Back four should be self- explanitory. The WBd offers a bit of width but is not to aggressive pushing forward bearing in mind the IFa on that side is just that – attacking, but also narrow. If I put the CMd on that side maybe I could use as a WBs?

The two defenders are a BPD – I want one of these to exploit any space in behind that is available with their propensity to hit defence splitting balls that the AFa could latch onto. The CDd just keeps it simple, which is also the case with the FBs – Not too aggressive and not a WBs as he may be fighting our winger for the same area of the pitch. He’s there to help out the winger if need be, but nothing more than that.

Now this is where I think I mess things up at times.

With this style of play, I would go with.

Counter /Balanced / Positive?? (not sure about positive) 

Split press with the four advanced players.

In Possession

Focus play left / right, high tempo, Wide, Pass into space (situational of course) 

Transition

Counter / Regroup (I feel we need to regroup as its an aggressive formation)/ Distribute Quickly (Possibly to flanks as well?)

Lower Line of Engagement and Standard DL.

What do the experts think? I will only post this part of the question for now as if it is mostly “right” (if there can be a right or wrong!), I would imagine my thoughts and concepts would be there or thereabouts for the other strategies I have in mind.

Also would this be a suitable style of play for a top side – it’s almost expected for top sides to always press high up the pitch – But I wouldn’t mind your thoughts on this either. I was thinking of using it against teams that park the bus to try and drag them out of their shell. 

Thanks in advance. Maybe post the playmaker part on this one if I don't feel too confident lol

On 05/05/2020 at 15:51, LiamNCFC said:

Dlfs  AF

IFa                         Ws

cms /BBM  CMd

WBd   BPD CD   FBs

I don't know which exact style of football you are looking to play with this setup, but I do know what tweaks I would make to roles and duties. For now, I'll only tell you that these would definitely involve the left back and central midfield ;)

Please fire away ED. 

One other thing. Are you OK playing a split press with a LOE?

As I say I'm looking to play a counter attacking ish style of play. Would a CAR maybe be one more of the suitable roles in the cm department? 

Like I say feel free to pull it to bits if needed. I want to understand the full ins and outs of the game. Its not enough for me to know. I want to understand. 

Should the LB be FBa? 

Im all ears matey 👍

Edited by LiamNCFC
Correction

3 hours ago, LiamNCFC said:

Please fire away ED

This:

DLFsu      AF

IFat                                   Wsu

CMde   BBM/CMsu

WBsu    BPD    CD     FBsu

So I just changed your LB's duty and swapped your CMs' sides, but without changing their roles ;) 

Are you OK playing a split press with a LOE?

With which specific LOE? And in what type of tactic/playing style? 

As I say I'm looking to play a counter attacking ish style of play

If that's the case, then this is how I would tweak roles and duties:

DLFat     AF

IFsu                                   Wsu

CMde    BBM

FBat    CDde   BPDde   FBsu 

Would a CAR maybe be one more of the suitable roles in the cm department?

Depends on how you employ it. For example:

DLFat     AF

IFsu                                   Wsu

CMde    CAR

FBat    CDde   BPDde   (I)WBsu 

Should the LB be FBa?

As with the carrilero, depends on how you employ it relative to the rest of the system. You cannot consider anything in isolation. 

Thanks ED. I think I'm getting there slowly but surely!

With the LOE question, it would be for the slightly counter attacking style, with a standard LOE (I dont think it would be effective with a low LOE). 

Edited by LiamNCFC
Info

15 minutes ago, LiamNCFC said:

With the LOE question, it would be for the slightly counter attacking style, with a standard LOE (I dont think it would be effective with a low LOE)

I think you first need to distinguish between counter-attacking styles of football and counter-attacks as an additional tactical weapon that can be used regardless of your primary playing style. 

I think I see what your driving at and its not really about us actively seeking to win the ball back quickly. To truly counter attack we need to keep our shape and be disciplined so when the ball is retained we are in a good position to break with men in the right areas to hurt the oppo. Us pressing can cause us to lose our shape. Which leaves us vulnerable. And with that loss of shape is a lack of direction and coordination when we do get the ball back.