FM20 - Is it possible to have a successful tactic that doesn't involve pressing?

I play a 442 that doesn't press, but lets the opposition come at me and then counters. Taken me til my 4th season to find proper guff lower league players to pull it off but it's playing out exactly how I want it too now like

1 hour ago, gavinski33 said:

I play a 442 that doesn't press, but lets the opposition come at me and then counters. Taken me til my 4th season to find proper guff lower league players to pull it off but it's playing out exactly how I want it too now like

Thats encouraging to hear! Do you not feel yourself conceding a lot of long strikes from it?

Edited by Domoboy23

Can you define what "success" is?

Itll be extremely hard to win leagues and cups with a strategy of not pressing ALL time time. In certain situations and games, yes but as a basic strategy sitting deep is usually an acknowledgement youre the weaker of the two teams and surrendering possession closer to your own goal is by definition dangerous.

Success however might be taking a team predicted to finish 20th and finishing 15th, picking off enough opponents on the break that taking one or two bad beatings was worth it.

Do you think there's any successful team in the real life that doesn't employ pressing? The degree of course varies but in general if you're having success, you're not the underdog, you'll want to have the ball, you'll need the means to get it back. 

13 hours ago, vara said:

i'm using counter systems more often than not.

most recent success. only conceded 16 goals in the league, using 4141 (or 41221)

da96960b24782c07f3480664f7173165.png

This is interesting as I play the same formation and need some pointers on how to counter attack against big teams away. What's your tactic? Does it use a low loe and deep defensive line? 

Success is relative, so what do you mean by it? For example success for Aston Villa this year is to not be relegated. Success for Manchester City is a title challenge. 

If you mean to win consistently then again it depends. Most big teams play with pressing because they can. You do not see many top sides playing a passive defence, even against other big teams. It is a good strategy; pressure weaker players into mistakes. This is why it is successful. The other reason is that pressing allows you to dominate games and keep a team pinned in their own half. Where often the pressure on their goal will eventually tell. 

Again, though, it depends what you mean by success. I have had great success with smaller teams using low blocks and direct counter attacks. I went half a season undefeated with Hamburg on FM19 doing that after promotion (until teams stopped thinking I was easy prey). In the end we finished in the top 10. Which was definitely a success. As my squad got better I moved towards pressing more, because that is what works as your team gets stronger. Both irl and in game.