Sports Interactive Community

Just a quick question why did Fm get rid of the sweeper role ?

I guess the reasoning is that no team uses it any more.

21 minutes ago, Djuicer said:

I guess the reasoning is that no team uses it any more.

not entirely true but i get the point, how many teams use a libero though

I think SI sees the libero as someone like Bonucci in the BBC back three. I suppose the dutch national team under Van Gaal used a libero too maybe? 

The point is I think they see the more modern back threes with a libero or just regular defenders, no sweepers.

8 minutes ago, Djuicer said:

I think SI sees the libero as someone like Bonucci in the BBC back three. I suppose the dutch national team under Van Gaal used a libero too maybe? 

The point is I think they see the more modern back threes with a libero or just regular defenders, no sweepers.

i agree with the examples you have given there, i guess that is it for the old style sweeper role then. 

Sweeper, or well. I shared my wiev there how to create a sweeper on you own.

Cox work is always well analyzed. Still it feels as if he wan'ts Busquets to be a sweeper here, maybe (even though he mentions Bielsas Chile) he thought of the Barcelona dream team under Cruyff?

In my view Sweeper can be recreated as a more creative defender on cover duty. So BPD on Cover?

5 hours ago, crusadertsar said:

In my view Sweeper can be recreated as a more creative defender on cover duty. So BPD on Cover?

It's more the libero type of sweeper. But not all sweepers were good on the ball, so some sweepers were played just as simple no-nonsense sweepers (as opposed to liberos). Speaking of the times when the sweeper position (and role) was much more common in football than today. 

7 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

It's more the libero type of sweeper. But not all sweepers were good on the ball, so some sweepers were played just as simple no-nonsense sweepers (as opposed to liberos). Speaking of the times when the sweeper position (and role) was much more common in football than today. 

Yeah true. Some confusion there. I was thinking of Danny Blind. I guess he was quite an offensive creative type, getting forward quite a lot. So maybe more of a libero in his case.

https://gfycat.com/SolidSkeletalAlpinegoat

Like in this clip for example. What a play! Can you believe Blind was in defence haha?!

12 hours ago, crusadertsar said:

Yeah true. Some confusion there. I was thinking of Danny Blind. I guess he was quite an offensive creative type, getting forward quite a lot. So maybe more of a libero in his case.

https://gfycat.com/SolidSkeletalAlpinegoat

Like in this clip for example. What a play! Can you believe Blind was in defence haha?!

I can't believe they played like that on that pitch. :D