Having done some testing, I have found these to produce wildly different outcomes in great favour of simulating games. It seems like simulating a game doesn't produce anywhere near as many freak/shock results as playing them on the ME. 

It leads me to believe that the ME has some seriously scripted aspects to games, particularly when a team parks the bus. From my tests, the same tactic was on average 6 points up over the course of 10 games when simulating the game as opposed to playing it through with the ME. 

But then again with simulated matches u can only make very limited changes from the match plans while playing in full details u can make a lot of changes. I had games where instant result i will lose while I can win 3-0 with full detail myself actually managing the game.

1 hour ago, jsx7ste said:

It leads me to believe that the ME has some seriously scripted aspects to games, particularly when a team parks the bus.

It doesn't. Why would there be? I never get the idea of why people think SI would put scripts to make users lose. Surely they would want to do it the other way round so users are happier?

1 hour ago, jsx7ste said:

Having done some testing, I have found these to produce wildly different outcomes in great favour of simulating games. It seems like simulating a game doesn't produce anywhere near as many freak/shock results as playing them on the ME. 

This is something that is very hard to test, and you would need to replay the same match a huge number of times both with simulation and playing yourself. And even then it is hard to say that it will mean anything, since you are trying to do statistics on what is essentially a chaotic system. The same initial inputs can give vastly different outcomes. Which means you have to wonder what you learn from repeating? Normally you repeat an experiment because you know there is an underlying distribution that you want to sample (and hopefully it is a normal distribution so you can do statistical analysis). But with FM? Why would there be a normal distribution? So you would have to try to sample the entire parameter space. And that space is huge. 

What I am saying there is that you would have to do an absolute bucket load of measurements to get anything meaningful from this. And the chances of finding a meaningful correlation is slim. 

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, sporadicsmiles said:

It doesn't. Why would there be? I never get the idea of why people think SI would put scripts to make users lose. Surely they would want to do it the other way round so users are happier?

This is something that is very hard to test, and you would need to replay the same match a huge number of times both with simulation and playing yourself. And even then it is hard to say that it will mean anything, since you are trying to do statistics on what is essentially a chaotic system. The same initial inputs can give vastly different outcomes. Which means you have to wonder what you learn from repeating? Normally you repeat an experiment because you know there is an underlying distribution that you want to sample (and hopefully it is a normal distribution so you can do statistical analysis). But with FM? Why would there be a normal distribution? So you would have to try to sample the entire parameter space. And that space is huge. 

What I am saying there is that you would have to do an absolute bucket load of measurements to get anything meaningful from this. And the chances of finding a meaningful correlation is slim. 

Yes, I know. It's just I know Fifa has been accused of similar scripted moments too in the past. 

I just found from doing this for a few hours that simulating was far more successful. This was using the same tactics and team selection. In a few instances I played the same game twice and simulated twice and often had the same outcome but not the same result. 

Edited by jsx7ste
34 minutes ago, jsx7ste said:

Yes, I know. It's just I know Fifa has been accused of similar scripted moments too in the past. 

So?  They're similarly ridiculous and reactionary, but even if that were true, why does it affect FM in any way?

Just sounds like you've started out with what you want to see, and you're desperately trying to mangle your results into that box to prove a point.  All you've shown is that one way of generating the result is more detailed than the other.  That's it.  And that's something that should have been obvious before you clicked a button.

1 minute ago, forameuss said:

So?  They're similarly ridiculous and reactionary, but even if that were true, why does it affect FM in any way?

Just sounds like you've started out with what you want to see, and you're desperately trying to mangle your results into that box to prove a point.  All you've shown is that one way of generating the result is more detailed than the other.  That's it.  And that's something that should have been obvious before you clicked a button.

I know it can hurt a lot of people when anyone 'criticises' the game or makes points that might devalue the 'tactical masterclass' the game is able to deliver. This is not my intention. I do not wish to devalue what you are doing. Regarding the emotive language you use, 'desperately' and 'mangle' I sense I am touching a nerve, which again is not my intention. I am merely stating my findings from playing around a lot with different things. There is no desperation in it, just observation and experience. 

"All you've shown is that one way of generating the result is more detailed than the other." No, not quite. As I have said, simulating matches produces more favourable results. It suggests that ME can be more of a minefield and more difficult than just simulation. Perhaps, a factor is that it is more detailed and therefore oppositions are more intelligent and more challenging than in simulation. Whatever the reason, simulation is easier to get results than ME.

I do apologise if I have upset you with my comments. 

15 minutes ago, jsx7ste said:

I know it can hurt a lot of people when anyone 'criticises' the game or makes points that might devalue the 'tactical masterclass' the game is able to deliver. This is not my intention. I do not wish to devalue what you are doing. Regarding the emotive language you use, 'desperately' and 'mangle' I sense I am touching a nerve, which again is not my intention. I am merely stating my findings from playing around a lot with different things. There is no desperation in it, just observation and experience. 

"All you've shown is that one way of generating the result is more detailed than the other." No, not quite. As I have said, simulating matches produces more favourable results. It suggests that ME can be more of a minefield and more difficult than just simulation. Perhaps, a factor is that it is more detailed and therefore oppositions are more intelligent and more challenging than in simulation. Whatever the reason, simulation is easier to get results than ME.

Waaaaaaay, there we go.  Someone challenges you, and obviously it's because they can't bear criticism of the game.  You do realise that completely devalues any point you're trying to make?

And then you end up agreeing with me anyway.  The ME is more detailed than the simulation.  Which most people knew already given it's common sense.  But then you took the massive stretch to suggest there was scripting in the ME, which was you trying to mould the data into what you already believed.  

32 minutes ago, jsx7ste said:

I will only agree that the simulation is easier than ME if the player is terrible at managing a match and more likely lead to more harm than good if he try switching couple of things every minute and see which one works without understanding what is happening. Under this situation yes purely simulating the match will benefit him if he already has a working tactic.

Edit: the converse is also true if the player just dun make any changes despite something is clearly not working. The AI is quite reasonable with substitution than most people think.

Edited by zyfon5
34 minutes ago, forameuss said:

Waaaaaaay, there we go.  Someone challenges you, and obviously it's because they can't bear criticism of the game.  You do realise that completely devalues any point you're trying to make?

And then you end up agreeing with me anyway.  The ME is more detailed than the simulation.  Which most people knew already given it's common sense.  But then you took the massive stretch to suggest there was scripting in the ME, which was you trying to mould the data into what you already believed.  

What is 'waaaay' ?

The original point I made was that simulating games produces more successful results than the ME. You got a little bit upset, clearly by your response and heated language and again, your outcry here only further confirms what I had initially pointed out. That you are upset. Once again, I can only apologise for hurting your feelings. I do not mind that you challenge what I say. That is the point of these forums. The scripted point I made still stands from my experience. That's just my feelings towards the game. I don't play Fifa personally, but I am aware of the scripted aspects putting many off playing. Regarding FM20, there are moments, games, periods in matches where inevitability springs to  mind. The game produces an unrealistic moment to throw a spanner in the works. It is bound to be the case because it is a computer game not reality. The scripted feeling is likely because the simulated game cannot do what a real match can no matter how good it is and whereas Norwich beating Man City in reality feels real and incredible, when the game tries to do this, in an attempt to be realistic, it ultimately can't feel anything more than scripted. 

I also find that the further you get into a save the more successful the game allows you to become. By the time you are 5-6 seasons into a save, you will likely be winning most things. 

That's just my personal opinion. From my experience. My experience being every football manager game from CM 01/02 - FM15. Then FM17 and 20. I took a hiatus for a few years. I'm getting old :) Anyway,  Not just 1000s of hours but 10s of 1000s of hours. The scripted aspect is far more prevalent in the more recent iterations. The winning the the longer you play is not new. I have found that the longer a save goes on the more success a player has. 

Just now, jsx7ste said:

The scripted point I made still stands from my experience.

The counter to that is simply that SI have stated on several occasions that the ME does not separate between a human user and an AI. So there is no need to discuss that point.

6 minutes ago, jsx7ste said:

What is 'waaaay' ?

The original point I made was that simulating games produces more successful results than the ME. You got a little bit upset, clearly by your response and heated language and again, your outcry here only further confirms what I had initially pointed out. That you are upset. Once again, I can only apologise for hurting your feelings. I do not mind that you challenge what I say. That is the point of these forums. The scripted point I made still stands from my experience. That's just my feelings towards the game. I don't play Fifa personally, but I am aware of the scripted aspects putting many off playing. Regarding FM20, there are moments, games, periods in matches where inevitability springs to  mind. The game produces an unrealistic moment to throw a spanner in the works. It is bound to be the case because it is a computer game not reality. The scripted feeling is likely because the simulated game cannot do what a real match can no matter how good it is and whereas Norwich beating Man City in reality feels real and incredible, when the game tries to do this, in an attempt to be realistic, it ultimately can't feel anything more than scripted. 

I also find that the further you get into a save the more successful the game allows you to become. By the time you are 5-6 seasons into a save, you will likely be winning most things. 

That's just my personal opinion. From my experience. My experience being every football manager game from CM 01/02 - FM15. Then FM17 and 20. I took a hiatus for a few years. I'm getting old :) Anyway,  Not just 1000s of hours but 10s of 1000s of hours. The scripted aspect is far more prevalent in the more recent iterations. The winning the the longer you play is not new. I have found that the longer a save goes on the more success a player has. 

The tool of an argument that's already losing legs is to continually go after the poster.  Pretending like I'm "upset" over a post about a video game to try and boost your own point doesn't really work.  But granted, it's a better basis than the nonsensical...

The scripted point I made still stands from my experience

No matter what you say from that point on, you simply cannot make up any of the credibility you lost.  

I have to admit to having games that definitely feel scripted. The amount of times I lose 1-0 due to a mistake that is no way tactical is beyond unfathomable, and I'm very good at the game, even if I do say so myself. In my first season in The Championship with Weymouth I've conceded 19 goals in 16 games, not bad at all, I'd say. However, without going back and checking each goal I'd say 80% were from either a corner, an indirect free-kick, a penalty or a ridiculous error from one of my players. 

Now, I'm happy to lose games, I have no problem with that, I just lost 4-0 to Southampton where they were far too good for my team. I do take umbrage to defeats that feel like I was destined to lose before the game had even begun due to what I'd seen in the ME. I'm not saying it is scripted, I'm saying I can see why people question it. SI have got something really out of sync with this ME and I feel it unfair to cast aside people who have the opinion it is scripted. 

Si have openly come out and said it isn't scripted, but that's obvious behaviour, is it not? They're not exactly going to come out and say that it can be. I don't believe it's scripted, but I think the outcome of the games are calculated far easier than some people on here are led to believe. The ME is probably a by-product of other aspects that determine the outcome and as such what you see in the ME makes little sense at times. 

In a nutshell, from what I can see, and this is merely speculation, SI haven't tried to go against the user but in their endeavour to keep results simple or make a result the outcome the game 'thinks' it should be they have tried to balance things and it has ended up creating totally unbalanced ME outcomes rather often. 

Sky Bet Championship_ Stages.png

Edited by dolph11
1 minute ago, forameuss said:

The tool of an argument that's already losing legs is to continually go after the poster.  Pretending like I'm "upset" over a post about a video game to try and boost your own point doesn't really work.  But granted, it's a better basis than the nonsensical...

No matter what you say from that point on, you simply cannot make up any of the credibility you lost.  

This is profoundly accurate, "The tool of an argument that's already losing legs is to continually go after the poster."  It also highlights your hypocrisy. 

Nevertheless, just because you state something you believe to be true, doesn't make it true.

Finally, I point you in the direction of Mark Twain. I feel you could learn a lot from him.

Good day sir!

I don’t know if it is scripted but agree that it can feel that way because it is a video game and the video game tries to be as close to reality as it can get. It is a simulation. A simulation of a freak result can feel scripted like you say further down. 

12 minutes ago, forameuss said:

It actually reads like you went after the OP to be fair. “You lost” seems a bit childish. 

13 minutes ago, dolph11 said:

I have to admit to having games that definitely feel scripted. The amount of times I lose 1-0 due to a mistake that is no way tactical is beyond unfathomable, and I'm very good at the game, even if I do say so myself. In my first season in The Championship with Weymouth I've conceded 19 goals in 16 games, not bad at all, I'd say. However, without going back and checking each goal I'd say 80% were from either a corner, an indirect free-kick, a penalty or a ridiculous error from one of my players. 

Sky Bet Championship_ Stages.png

the fact that u only conceded from these types of goals means that your tactic is very good so thats why u only concede these types of goals. can u see a different interpretation here?

31 minutes ago, jsx7ste said:

but a quick look at the forums will see ppl complaining the game gets harder and hit a brick wall few years into the save like every week. so i don't know which is true.

i will like to present my view -a counter argument for so called veteran players. my unpopular opinion on why very often these players say they enjoy older versions of the game and find newer versions more scripted. Actually the game is getting harder. there are more uncontrolled variables introduced into the game than before. hence things that can easily work in the past is no longer effective now. instead of doing the same things in the past will gain u maybe 10% advantage, u can only gain 5% advantage now.

I've seen people on the internet claim PES is scripted even when they play against another user. I've seen people claim it favours better user, I've seen they claim that it favours worse user. I understand that games can make you feel that way, I felt the same way many times. But I don't really think that i can never do anything about it. That's what's my definition of "scripted". The game is rigged and you can not do anything about it. It's not scripted. You can change the outcome with your input. Or these people who complain and say it's scripted have another definition od scripted?

3 minutes ago, yolixeya said:

I've seen people on the internet claim PES is scripted even when they play against another user. I've seen people claim it favours better user, I've seen they claim that it favours worse user. I understand that games can make you feel that way, I felt the same way many times. But I don't really think that i can never do anything about it. That's what's my definition of "scripted". The game is rigged and you can not do anything about it. It's not scripted. You can change the outcome with your input. Or these people who complain and say it's scripted have another definition od scripted?

if any people wants to prove that the game is scripted, play all your youth players and see if u get the same results. there proof of scripting.

2 hours ago, jsx7ste said:

It is my experience too. Not the longer the save goes, but the longer you are at one club. It is easier to get better players, better coaches, board requests granted. But try to take over a lower division club in that same save. You have to start over from a scratch.

Edited by yolixeya
2 hours ago, J8mb0 said:

It actually reads like you went after the OP to be fair. “You lost” seems a bit childish. 

"Childish" or "correct"?  Saying that scripting is real because of "my experience" when there's literally no real evidence of it is the sort of thing you'd hear from flat-earthers or anti-vaxxers.  If you're going to come out with something outlandish, AND you have something to back it up, fine.  That kind of discussion is very important and could be interesting.  Going "I've played a few games" and offering nothing else other than the usual "you're just defending the game" stuff deserves no credibility.  Hence, losing said credibility.

OP says he has played over 10,000 hours of many versions and does explain that the ‘scripted’ element is

Regarding FM20, there are moments, games, periods in matches where inevitability springs to  mind. The game produces an unrealistic moment to throw a spanner in the works. It is bound to be the case because it is a computer game not reality. The scripted feeling is likely because the simulated game cannot do what a real match can no matter how good it is and whereas Norwich beating Man City in reality feels real and incredible, when the game tries to do this, in an attempt to be realistic, it ultimately can't feel anything more than scripted.“ 

I Believe the above is a valid point. Anyway, he’s entitled to his opinion and just because you don’t agree with him doesn’t mean you are right and he is wrong. You didn’t like what he posted so you took it upon yourself to jump down his throat. Then you repeat how you are “correct”. Everyone can self profess themselves correct. It doesn’t mean they are. In fact those who shout the loudest about being right, seldom are. 

12 minutes ago, J8mb0 said:

OP says he has played over 10,000 hours of many versions and does explain that the ‘scripted’ element is

Regarding FM20, there are moments, games, periods in matches where inevitability springs to  mind. The game produces an unrealistic moment to throw a spanner in the works. It is bound to be the case because it is a computer game not reality. The scripted feeling is likely because the simulated game cannot do what a real match can no matter how good it is and whereas Norwich beating Man City in reality feels real and incredible, when the game tries to do this, in an attempt to be realistic, it ultimately can't feel anything more than scripted.“ 

I Believe the above is a valid point.

Not a valid point when the developer have clearly stated that it's false. So the point is moot. By all means, say what you want about the ME, but claims of it being scripted have been refuted by SI, so why continue to say it? The point is not valid, no matter what anyone "feels" about it. Just because anyone feel something doesn't make it correct.

Seriously guys, just because the developer says something it doesn't mean it is gospel truth, come on now! Once again, I'm not saying it's scripted, but the ME does so many ridiculous and unbalanced things that you end up doing mental gymnastics trying to figure out why! Just look at the 'Funny Screenshots' thread, there are snippets in there. I have loads I could upload but it's so time consuming. 

9 minutes ago, XaW said:

Not a valid point when the developer have clearly stated that it's false. So the point is moot. By all means, say what you want about the ME, but claims of it being scripted have been refuted by SI, so why continue to say it? The point is not valid, no matter what anyone "feels" about it. Just because anyone feel something doesn't make it correct.

Yes it is valid.

It feels scripted because they can’t make the act of losing with 25 shots and 5 ccc’s and 7 hc’s to a single chance, like a counter attack from an offensive corner feel anything less than scripted. I agree. It’s happened to me many times. Simulation by a computer cannot produce the same experience as reality plain and simple. 

Likewise to just because someone feels something doesn’t make it correct, just because someone tells you something doesn’t make it correct either. 

6 minutes ago, dolph11 said:

Seriously guys, just because the developer says something it doesn't mean it is gospel truth, come on now! Once again, I'm not saying it's scripted, but the ME does so many ridiculous and unbalanced things that you end up doing mental gymnastics trying to figure out why! Just look at the 'Funny Screenshots' thread, there are snippets in there. I have loads I could upload but it's so time consuming. 

Sorry, but the first sentence is disingenuous. The developers are the only people who can definitively tell you how something works. Their word will have more credibility than anyone else's.

People are entitled to their own constructive opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts, and SI take a dim view of misinformation

So just for clarity's sake, there is no scripting in the match engine.

2 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Sorry, but the first sentence is disingenuous. The developers are the only people who can definitively tell you how something works. Their word will have more credibility than anyone else's.

People are entitled to their own constructive opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts, and SI take a dim view of misinformation

So just for clarity's sake, there is no scripting in the match engine.

I reiterate, people have said it feels scripted. There is no folly in questioning something. SI say it isn't, I think the truth of that is somewhere in between to be honest, but that's only my opinion. If it isn't scripted they've done a terrible job of the ME in trying to simulate a game of football. 

2 minutes ago, dolph11 said:

I reiterate, people have said it feels scripted. There is no folly in questioning something. SI say it isn't, I think the truth of that is somewhere in between to be honest, but that's only my opinion. If it isn't scripted they've done a terrible job of the ME in trying to simulate a game of football. 

No. The truth is that there is no scripting. Stop spreading misinformation. If you think there is a issue, raise it in the bugs forums, but it's objectively false to say there is scripting. And such misinformation is not a point up for debate

1 minute ago, themadsheep2001 said:

No. The truth is that there is no scripting. Stop spreading misinformation. 

I'm not spreading misinformation. I'm participating in a forum and giving my opinion. There are so many questionable things that happen within the ME that make people question it. I'm not attacking anybody or trying to insult. I'm merely trying to say why people think that way. Of course, only SI know the truth, nobody can doubt that. However, the ME doesn't seem to backup what they say. Again, I'm not saying it's scripted, I'm saying how the matches play out quite often make no sense and leave the player confused. 

Posted (edited)

I honestly didn't want to cause so many problems. :/ It's not 'scripted'  and everything that happens in the ME, happens completely organically. It may feel it at times, but it is just your tactics. Regarding,  simulation (on a personal level) produces more favourable results than playing through the ME. That's all I wanted to say. 

Edit: And more realistic results too. :p

Edited by jsx7ste
5 minutes ago, dolph11 said:

I'm not spreading misinformation. I'm participating in a forum and giving my opinion. There are so many questionable things that happen within the ME that make people question it. I'm not attacking anybody or trying to insult. I'm merely trying to say why people think that way. Of course, only SI know the truth, nobody can doubt that. However, the ME doesn't seem to backup what they say. Again, I'm not saying it's scripted, I'm saying how the matches play out quite often make no sense and leave the player confused. 

An opinion that is misinformation is still misinformation. The match engine is not perfect by any means that does not mean its scripted, you're conflating the two

The match engine is not scripted, but that has nothing to do with quirks and issues in the match engine. The former is a fact that is not a point of debate, the latter is one for the bugs forum

5 minutes ago, jsx7ste said:

I honestly didn't want to cause so many problems. :/ It's not 'scripted'  and everything that happens in the ME, happens completely organically. It may feel it at times, but it is just your tactics. Regarding,  simulation (on a personal level) produces more favourable results than playing through the ME. That's all I wanted to say. 

Edit: And more realistic results too. :p

not just tactics sometimes its just bad luck. football is a sport that has a smaller margin of difference than most people realize.

9 minutes ago, dolph11 said:

I'm saying how the matches play out quite often make no sense and leave the player confused. 

isnt it football most of the time? i watch a lot of football matches and it leaves me with the same feeling

5 minutes ago, zyfon5 said:

isnt it football most of the time? i watch a lot of football matches and it leaves me with the same feeling

Oh, of course. It happens. I once went to watch Wolves v Southampton at Molinuex, circa 2006, and Wolves lost 6-0 but outplayed Southampton. These crazy things happen in general. I'm talking about patterns of the problematic inconsistencies in the ME at the most convenient times for the AI. Of course, it isn't scripted, I'm not saying it is, but something is off with the game. 

Just now, dolph11 said:

Oh, of course. It happens. I once went to watch Wolves v Southampton at Molinuex, circa 2006, and Wolves lost 6-0 but outplayed Southampton. These crazy things happen in general. I'm talking about patterns of the problematic inconsistencies in the ME at the most convenient times for the AI. Of course, it isn't scripted, I'm not saying it is, but something is off with the game. 

yes i can agree the ME is not perfect and riddled with problems here and there. maybe u didnt enjoy the ME and i can understand that. but it is not anything gamebreaking. u will see good football with a well thought tactic with the right players.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence to back them up.

If you are going to argue that SI are lying to everyone about the fact that their game is scripted then you really need to have more than 'feelings' and 'beliefs' to build a valid counter argument.

Correlation does not equal causation.

You may be observing what you think is a trend based on a small sample of results when actually it's not and merely a coincidental sequence of events.

Also, it's worth noting that the AI can make tactical changes in simulated games which may be completely different to the changes you would make if managing the game in the ME yourself. If you make poor changes whereas the AI makes better ones then that could explain part of the discrepancy between the simulated matches and the ME matches in the OP test.

18 minutes ago, dolph11 said:

Oh, of course. It happens. I once went to watch Wolves v Southampton at Molinuex, circa 2006, and Wolves lost 6-0 but outplayed Southampton. These crazy things happen in general. I'm talking about patterns of the problematic inconsistencies in the ME at the most convenient times for the AI.

Any flaws would affect both AI as well as the player. The "issue" that only the AI Benefits for some is that the AI manages Matches in a completely different way to the average human Player. E.g. it doesn't give a **** About how many shots it has. It only cares About any current result during a match.

AFAIK simulation is designed to be very quick and provide believable results and stats in relation to club reputation on both sides therefore it uses simpler algorithms. So you should not expect it to be as accurate as full match.