Which formation for a poor team in the Championship?

Okay, rather than just post a formation and ask where I am going wrong, what I would like to do is show you what stats I have to work with and rebuild from there. I dont think downloaded tactics help in the long run as I like to understand why certain tactics work.

I'm currently 3 seasons into a network game with Plymouth, got them promoted first season through the playoffs, second season promoted via 2nd place and so find myself in the Championship and not doing too well...

Board gave me £21k to spend this season (yes £21k not £21m) so non-loanees are not an option. So 25 games in and I'm 21st and 3 points above the dreaded relegation zone. Ive attached screenshots of our player stats in comparison to the rest of the division. As you can see I'm pretty much bottom of the majority apart from pace - btw this wasn't something I purposely set out to achieve although I do like to sign players with pace its not the be all and end all to me.

So looking at these screenshots, am I destined to have zero chance this season or can I build a formation to take advantage of the pace (and my keepers long throws, ha!)

What I have tried so far is a counter attacking style, but even though my players are fast, they are just not getting forward enough and when they do they seem to hit dead ends often.

My best players are:

1 x BWM (support)

1 x Mezzala (Sup)

1 x Full back (Sup)

1 x CD (def)

and my goal keeper.

One of my strikers can play AML (inverted winger), and he has excellent Long shots and Finishing but should I just forget about playing anyone in AML/AMR and be a lot more defensive?

Rest of the positions are below average. Not much info to go on but thought it might be fun to work from the ground up to create something that might stop the rot. I have tried a 4141 formation but the fast wingers are just not using their pace, I'm sure its down to tactical instructions that I've never got my head around fully.

Cheers!

ATT.JPG

DEF.JPG

GK.JPG

MID.JPG

Could you post screenshots of your players that show their attributes? For instance, utilizing a Squad View which shows all of their outfield attributes so that we get an idea of what type of squad you have at your disposal, what is the level of technical quality, what is the overall positional sense, how physical the team is etc. and since you want advice on what type of formation / system to play as, that is vital information

Edited by Adonalsium

9 hours ago, cadmunkey said:

I have tried a 4141 formation but the fast wingers are just not using their pace, I'm sure its down to tactical instructions that I've never got my head around fully

Post a screenshot of that tactic, because it's the easiest way for us to analyze it and tell you what is potentially wrong and how it can be improved. Everything else would basically come down to speculating and giving some rather general type of advice, which is usually misleading. 

You seem to have a number of quick and physical players, but your squad isn't very technical overall. The profile of your players should suit a fluid, dynamic counter-attacking system. There are as many ways to build a counter-attacking system as there are football fans in the world, though, so it depends on what you want to achieve first and foremost. 

8 hours ago, Adonalsium said:

You seem to have a number of quick and physical players, but your squad isn't very technical overall. The profile of your players should suit a fluid, dynamic counter-attacking system. There are as many ways to build a counter-attacking system as there are football fans in the world, though, so it depends on what you want to achieve first and foremost. 

Hi, well I do want to play counter attacking because as you say my team lack all technical skills. Is it really as simple as choosing one of the template formations and going from there? As my problem is my fast players dont seem to want to use their pace during the games. I'm not going to win games with this team by skill, so brute force pace seems the best way to go!

Edited by cadmunkey

16 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

Post a screenshot of that tactic, because it's the easiest way for us to analyze it and tell you what is potentially wrong and how it can be improved. Everything else would basically come down to speculating and giving some rather general type of advice, which is usually misleading. 

Sorry I scrapped it as it just wasn't working for me despite it seeming to suit the players I have.

2 hours ago, cadmunkey said:

Hi, well I do want to play counter attacking because as you say my team lack all technical skills. Is it really as simple as choosing one of the template formations and going from there? As my problem is my fast players dont seem to want to use their pace during the games. I'm not going to win games with this team by skill, so brute force pace seems the best way to go!

Yeah it's really that simple. When it comes to you actually learning the match engine, I would recommend really just picking a preset and then observing what it does in the engine in real-time (so in Full, not on any of the highlight modes), using the 2D match view helps). Then from there you start tweaking and observe effects for yourself.

2 hours ago, Adonalsium said:

Yeah it's really that simple. When it comes to you actually learning the match engine, I would recommend really just picking a preset and then observing what it does in the engine in real-time (so in Full, not on any of the highlight modes), using the 2D match view helps). Then from there you start tweaking and observe effects for yourself.

Okay thanks Adonalsium, I have a network game tonight so see how it goes!

I've been playing as an underdog in a jorneyman save for several seasons now and, at least in FM20, i've had much more success playing in a medium block such as a Positive mentality with default line instructions. They key to success is vertical and horizontal compactness. It makes it difficult for the opposition to play through you and your players always have passing options to progress up the field without taking too many risks. If you go with long and direct football you will just concede possession to much and they will eventually score from a set piece or by sheer individual superiority.