Just wondering how difficult it is to become an actual title challenger in the SPL, looking at the available budgets and prize money for 3rd place it seems like challenging for the title with Aberdeen could take a very long time. Anyone have any experience? 

You can pick up some decent players on a free/loan and could very well be up there. I'm currently 3rd with Ross County, 6 points off the old firm. I beat Celtic 7-5 and Rangers 1 - 0 at one point through the season.

Unless you can get a team into the EL at the latter stages or the CL, it is pretty difficult to compete consistently with the OF as they are getting some big money form the European competitions.  I am sure that you can at least challenge, but I have rarely seen any team sustain a challenge enough to get close in the league.

It's not too difficult. There's a couple of threads in the career board showing Motherwell and St Mirren to have both broke the duopoly of the Old Firm within 5 years.

The Motherwell thread is mine. I barely spent money on players at all and instead pumped it all into my facilities and I have been very successful winning 5 in a row at one point.

8 hours ago, metallimuse said:

It's not too difficult. There's a couple of threads in the career board showing Motherwell and St Mirren to have both broke the duopoly of the Old Firm within 5 years.

The Motherwell thread is mine. I barely spent money on players at all and instead pumped it all into my facilities and I have been very successful winning 5 in a row at one point.

Ah promising I'll go and have a look!

Towards the back end of the season now and comfortably in third, my main issue has been draws the Glasgow clubs haven't taken 3 points off me between them and I even managed to beat Celtic at Park Head.

Just consistency that I'm lacking so far, but with time I hope that will come.