Proper Management (LLM)

There is nothing more thrilling for me when playing FM other than starting right from the bottom and working your way up to the top

I remember playing FM08 and starting unemployed, then working my way through the division's from Hyde United to Walsall to Man City and finally Arsenal and the Champions League.

I am wondering what Lower League Management is going to be like in FM09 and how everyone is finding it so far? How it differs? What tactics and Strategy's are people using etc?

I want people who start from the bottom rung to update me on their progress up the football ladder and i too can as well...let's see where everyone ends up...Champions league here we come...

In FM08 my longest career save was when I started unemployed and worked my way to the top. After a year I was given the job at Cambridge City, in 3 seasons got them to League Two. Upon promotion I got an offer from Swansea who were in League One. I'd be stupid enough not to take it. Go promoted and spent 3 seasons in the Championship before winning it. After spending two years in the PL I got the Liverpool job after declaring interest. Bad luck for me was that 6 months down the line they changed chairman and he wanted another manager. Went to PSV, won the league first season, came back to England as Tottenham manager and won the UEFA Cup first season, league the second and the CL the third. Ah those were the days :)

I'd direct you towards the LLM sub-forum but you can't discuss anything significantly related to anything in there, and I expect they wouldn't like you because you used too many characters in your thread, or weren't subscribing to the LLM bible.

I love starting as a lower league team. It's more fulfilling for me, playing FM with a poor team and improving them than playing as Barcelona and losing to rubbish teams.....not realising why because you have the best players on the planet....

I really enjoy starting at the bottom and working up, but I seem to struggle with lower league teams, in that I always tend to end the season mid table.

Justified, did you use a generic tactic in 08 and tweak it for each team, or did you use different tactics for each team you were at?

I too like starting games with lesser teams. I just started a game with Bath. We will see how well I do with them. I don't read much on the LLM forum because of all the rules. Sometimes you just want to talk to someone about your bottom feeder team without all the non-sense.

-Ambrodel

I really enjoy starting at the bottom and working up, but I seem to struggle with lower league teams, in that I always tend to end the season mid table.

Justified, did you use a generic tactic in 08 and tweak it for each team, or did you use different tactics for each team you were at?

I used a 4-5-1 for all the teams I managed but they looked different from say Cambridge City as they did for Tottenham/Liverpool. With City It was very flat 5 in midfield with barrows and farrows. With Tottenham my first year it was looking like a 4-2-3-1 which turned to 4-3-3 in the last season. Liverpool was a 4-1-4-1 and PSV was 4-3-2-1. Loved the lone striker in FM09 ;)

Archived